After writing, how to make your hair grow faster?, home remedies for scalp fungus treatment, and how to prevent hair loss?, we are now writing about DHT hair loss and ways to treat it. Dihydrotestosterone or DHT hair loss is an androgen, a male sex hormone, which is produced in the body by an enzyme called 5 alpha-reductase. This is a highly vigorous form of testosterone, which is primarily formed in the adrenal glands, prostate, hair follicles, and testes. DHT is accountable for various manly aspects and characteristics like hair growth, libido, and even violent behavior. The amount of DHT formed by the body depends mostly on genetic factors.
Variations in the hormonal balance of the body are a primary cause of hair loss in both men and women. Changes in the metabolism of androgen and increased levels of DHT causes hair fall. It also causes male pattern baldness, known as Androgenic Alopecia. Thinning of the crown, receding hairline, patchy hair loss, hair loss, etc are some noticeable signs of male pattern baldness.
Androgenic Alopecia is distinguished by an increased sensitivity of the hair follicles to DHT. This sensitivity of the hair follicles to hormones is mainly connected with genetic factors. Thus, it is an inherited problem. It causes the hair follicles to contract and decrease in size. It further leads to irregular hair production, shortened the life span of the hair locks and balding. Read this related article Lemon Juice for Hair Loss on our website.
What Is DHT Hair Loss?
Dermal papilla or papilla of the hair is an essential part of the hair follicle that is vital for the healthy hair growth. The papilla is rooted in the scalp. It directly depicts the vital nutrients important for hair follicle development, from the blood capillaries. Dermal papilla cells are also accountable for the reproduction of hair follicles. These papilla cells instigate the formation of new hair follicles by isolating and splitting themselves into newer cells. Thus, proper performance of the dermal papilla is liable for the growth and protection of healthy, nourished, strong and shiny strands.
However, the papilla consists of huge amounts of androgen receptors. These receptors bind with DHT and hinder the efficient absorption of vital nutrients required for follicle growth. It also negatively impacts the life cycle of the follicles. The life cycle of a hair follicle is composed of a resting phase and a growing phase. Miniaturization is the progressive reduction of the hair follicles and occurs as an outcome of DHT. It prevents hair streaks elongation and causes failure of the hair follicles.
Ways To Treat DHT Hair Loss:
1.) Eat Foods To Treat DHT Hair Loss
Improper nutrition is often the reason for hair loss. Poor diet leads to micronutrient (Vitamins and Minerals) and macronutrient (protein, fats, carbohydrates) deficiencies. Which makes your body unhealthy and cause hair fall. To keep your body healthy and hydrated eat yellow, red and orange fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin A and beta cerotene. Vitamin A promotes hair growth and hair cells.
- Eat omega-3 rich foods like fishes, walnuts, flaxseeds.
- Eat yogurt and vitamin-B5 foods that help increase blood flow to your scalp, thus promotes hair growth.
- Make a salad with spinach that is full of with vitamin A, vitamin C, and iron-folate. This vitamin and minerals help maintain healthy hair and scalp.
- Make sure you get enough of protein by eating lean meat, protein-rich vegetables, and low-fat dairy products. Hair is made up of a protein molecule called keratin and thus, a good dietary routine is needed to promote good hair growth.
- Eat foods that are rich in vitamin B7. It helps promote hair growth and reduce hair fall. Foods to include eggs, milk products, fortified cereals and chicken.
- Eat zinc-rich foods, such as lobsters, oysters, and fortified cereals. Zinc deficiency can also be the reason for hair loss, which is why you should make sure you are including enough of this mineral in your daily diet.
2.) Drink Lots of Water To Treat DHT Hair Loss
If your body is not hydrated, it affects your skin and hair cells, that leads to improper growth and flourish. To keep your hair growing and healthy, drink enough water to avoid dehydration.
- Make sure you drink at least 7-8 cups of water a day and more while exercising or in hot weather.
- Caffeinated drinks are dehydrating and thus, drinking these can cause water imbalance. Try to avoid it and stick to unsweetened teas and juices. Control your caffeine consumption to 1-2 drinks a day.
3.) Eliminate Stress To Treat DHT Hair Loss
Stress is also one of the main reasons for hair loss. Although androgenic alopecia is not something related to stress. In order to keep your hair healthy, avoid things that activate stress in your life. There are types of stress-related hair loss conditions known. Telogen effluvium, Trichotillomania, Alopecia areata could be the cause of your hair loss. So, avoid taking any kind of stress and relax. Walk, talk and eat healthy to keep yourself stress-free.
4.) Try Onion Juice To Treat DHT Hair Loss
Onion juice helps promote hair development in people who suffer from alopecia areata. Take out some onion juice by grating one onion and then strain the juice. Apply this onion juice to your scalp twice a day for 30 min, then wash off with lukewarm water. Try this solution for at least 6 weeks to see if this natural treatment will help control your hair fall.
5.) Physical Check Up To Treat DHT Hair Loss
Some health illness and other diseases can also be the cause of hair loss that is not connected to male pattern baldness. If you are experiencing hair fall, visit your doctor, who can check the cause of hair loss and could diagnose any underlying conditions. Hormonal imbalances and changes, Scalp infections could be the main reasons behind hair loss.
6.) Ginkgo Biloba To Treat DHT Hair Loss
It is known to be a powerful herbal remedy for hair loss with healing properties that help to boost blood circulation to the scalp. It is believed that the extra amount of blood that is passed to the scalp can bring more nutrients to the hair follicles, hence encouraging hair regrowth.
7.) Green Tea to Get Rid of DHT Hair Loss
Green tea consists of catechins that stop the transformation of the enzyme 5-alpha reductase and testosterone into DHT. Doctors believe that catechins can be efficient in, slow down and treating pattern baldness. In addition, green tea is full of antioxidants that help stimulate the hair follicles.
8.) Stinging Nettle to Cure DHT Hair Loss
Stinging nettle has the ability to increase blood circulation in the scalp, stop male pattern baldness, and even encourage your hair roots. It has been popular to hinder hair loss by blocking the exchange of testosterone to DHT. Take the products including stinging nettle to help improve the hair growth.
9.) Pumpkin Seed Oil to Prevent DHT Hair Loss
This is another beneficial remedy to get rid of DHT hair loss naturally. Pumpkin seeds are really high in zinc, which is essential for great hair. But the oil is also used as a natural DHT inhibitor. A study had been conducted that patients who had taken pumpkin seed sterols 3-4 days before prostate surgery. Just like the rats, their prostate tissue limited notably less DHT than the control group. For those who are looking for a natural solution, this method is very encouraging to cure DHT hair loss.
10.) Emu Oil to Treat DHT Hair Loss
Research has been conducted that emu oil consists of a high level of linolenic acid, which further acts as an efficient anti-androgen. Linolenic acid is a strong 5 alpha reductase inhibitor and may be helpful in the treatment of disorders related to the hormone Dihydrotestosterone. Linolenic Acid has been recommended to be of use in the disorders such as acne andro-genetic, prostatic hyper plasma, alopecia, and hirsutism.
11.) Foods You Need to Avoid to Treat DHT Hair Loss
There are certain food items that can trigger the hair loss. So, it is necessary to eliminate them from your daily diet. Here is the list of some food items that you need to avoid to get rid of DHT hair loss.
- Processed Foods: These foods contain high sodium, sugar and unhealthy fats. Therefore, it is not good for hair growth.
- Trans Fatty Acids: Unhealthy fats like Trans fatty acids increase the production of DHT and increases inflammation. Increases of DHT results in hair loss. Don’t consume hydrogenated oil like soybean oil and corn oil.
- Alcohol: Consuming alcohol causes liver toxicity and increases inflammation which helps in treating hair loss. Heavy drinking increases the risk of hair loss.
- Sugar: Sugar causes hormone imbalance, causes inflammation and increases the production of DHT. This leads to hair loss.
- Caffeine: Organic coffee and tea is very beneficial for hair if taken in small amounts. But taking too much of coffee can cause dehydration, production of DHT and also hormone imbalance.
12.) Combination of Coconut Oil and Curry Oil
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of DHT hair loss. This is one of the most effective herbs for grey hair which also promotes hair growth. Curry leaves are very good for the hair. Coconut oil strengthens the hair follicles and encourages hair growth. The fatty acids present in coconut oil provide protein to the hair shaft and prevents breakage. It penetrates through the hair shafts and provides enough moisture to the hair. Follow the instructions given below to treat hair loss.
- In half cup of coconut oil, add 7 to 8 curry leaves.
- Boil both the ingredients together. Make sure the leaves do not burn.
- Soon a black residue will be formed.
- Apply this residue on your hair properly.
- Repeat this method two times a week to get rid of DHT hair loss.
13.) Gooseberry to Treat DHT Hair Loss
This is one of the most natural remedies to treat DHT hair loss. This popular remedy not only strengthens the hair follicles but also promotes hair growth. It prevents split ends and hair breakage. The antioxidants and vitamin C present in gooseberry not only makes it an excellent remedy for hair but is also good for the overall health. It also improves the pigmentation of hair. Follow the instructions given below to get rid of hair loss.
- Take a bowl and add 2 teaspoons each of gooseberry juice and lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair shafts.
- Leave it for atleast 2 hours so that it gets dry completely.
- Wash your hair with warm water.
14.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of DTH Hair Loss
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of DTH hair loss. It is just a perfect solution for any type of hair problem. Aloe Vera prevents hair loss and encourages hair growth. The numerous nutrients in Aloe Vera make it a beneficial remedy for hair loss. The proteolitic enzymes present in Aloe Vera removes the dead skin cells from the scalp and unclog the hair follicles. Aloe Vera contains nourishing properties which makes the hair silky and smooth. Follow the instructions given below to use Aloe Vera gel to treat DTH hair loss.
- Take 2 tablespoons of shampoo in your bowl.
- Mix one tablespoon each of Aloe Vera gel and coconut milk.
- Add half teaspoon of wheat germ.
- Mix all these ingredients together and shampoo your hair with this mixture.
- Repeat this method every week to get desired results.
15.) Garlic to Treat DTH Hair Loss
This is a popular kitchen ingredient that is known for its strong flavors and various health benefits. It is an excellent remedy for controlling hair fall. It also helps to get rid of scalp fungus. The high level of allicin present in garlic helps in treating hair loss. The presence of selenium in garlic is also good for the overall health of the hair. Garlic encourages the blood circulation in the scalp and promotes hair growth. Follow the instructions given below to use garlic to get rid of DTH hair loss.
- Crush 7 to 8 cloves of garlic to make a paste.
- Add a little amount of olive oil and mix the paste well.
- Apply this mixture thoroughly from the tip to roots of the hair.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo after 1 hour.
- Repeat this treatment 3 times a week to see the difference.
16.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of DTH Hair Loss
This is one of the excellent remedies to get rid of hair loss. It is one of the best home remedies for oily hair. It contains powerful nutrients and vitamins such as B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B12 which makes is a wonderful remedy for DTH hair loss. Lemon juice improves the blood circulation in the hair and prevents hair loss. It not only fights dandruff but also helps to get smooth and shiny hair. Follow the steps given below to treat DTH hair loss.
- Add one tablespoon of lemon juice in a bowl.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of coconut oil or olive oil.
- Coat your hair and scalp with this mixture.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo after 60 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy once a week to get rid of all sorts of hair problems.
17.) Beetroot Juice to Treat Hair Loss
This is one of the most effective home remedies to treat hair loss. The presence of vitamin C, B6, potassium, folate, manganese and betanine makes it a wonderful remedy for hair loss. The powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and detoxification properties of beetroot juice help to cure hair loss. Beetroot juice contains essential nutrients makes the hair healthy and shiny. It is an excellent remedy to treat baldness. Follow the instructions given below to use beetroot juice to get rid of DTH hair loss.
- Mix ginger paste in a bowl of beetroot juice.
- Apply this juice evenly on your hair and scalp.
- You can even drink beetroot juice daily to get beautiful and healthy hair.
18.) Coconut Milk to Treat DTH Hair Loss
This is one of the excellent remedies to treat DTH hair loss. Coconut milk is loaded with vitamins such as vitamin C, E, B1, B6, B5 and B3 and iron, sodium, phosphorous, selenium, iron and calcium makes it an amazing remedy for treating hair loss. The anti-viral and antibacterial properties of coconut oil keep the scalp healthy. Follow the instructions given below to get rid of DTH hair loss.
- With the help of your fingers, massage coconut oil thoroughly on your scalp and hair.
- This will stimulate hair growth and improve the blood circulation.
- Wait for atleast 4 to 5 hours so that the milk is seeped inside the roots.
- Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo and then use a conditioner.
Tips to Prevent DTH Hair Loss
- Lack of vitamins in the body is one of the main reasons behind DTH hair loss. Eat a lot of vitamins and you can even apply hair packs of gooseberry once or twice a week.
- Try acupressure to encourage hair growth and increase blood circulation in the scalp.
- Give your hair a regular coconut oil massage to strengthen them.
- Proteins are very necessary to encourage hair growth. Include protein rich foods in your diet such as beans, spinach, eggs, fish, meat, chicken etc.
- Avoid using heating treatments on the hair.