This article is about different ways to get rid of dry scalp. Do you often feel inflammation and itchiness on the scalp? If yes, then you are struggling with dry scalp. This is common scalp problem among both the genders. Sometimes it is caused due to the undernourished scalp. And, sometimes, it occurs because of sebaceous cyst. The sebaceous gland is a gland which produces natural oil in our body. If these glands do not function well then the oil is not produced and scalp becomes dry. With the advanced technology, there are many treatments which can cure dry scalp. However, if the problem has just begun then you can get rid of the dry scalp by applying following home remedies as well.
Symptoms of Dry Scalp:
- Itching on scalp
- Inflammation on the scalp
- You feel like scraping your scalp
- Visible white flakes(dandruff)
The Possible Causes of Dry Scalp are:
- Excess use of chemicals in hair products.
- Irregular oiling on scalp
- Poor hair care
- Sebaceous cyst
- Scalp infection
- Poor Diet
- Cradle cap
- Tinea Capitis
- Inefficient production of oil from sebum glands
Different Ways to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
1.) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Dry scalp is obviously caused due to dryness on the scalp that is because you do not apply oil on your hair. So apply coconut oil regularly on your hair do avoid dryness. It will moisturise your scalp. It will also help to treat the itchy scalp and dandruff. All you have to do is:
- First wash your scalp with an herbal or mild shampoo. It will clean your scalp.
- Pet dry you hair and scalp and then gently massage your scalp with coconut oil.
- Alternatively, mix some coconut oil with your regular shampoo that you use to wash your hair.
- Repeat this many times in the week to treat the dryness.
2.) Sesame Seed Oil to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Another oil which can help you to cure dry scalp is sesame seed. It has all the vital nutrients and healing properties that are needed to treat itchy and dry scalp. It will also moisturise your scalp and give you relief from the itchiness and inflammation if there is any. All you need to do is:
- Warm some sesame seeds. Make sure that it is not too warm otherwise, you might hurt your scalp.
- Use the warm oil to massage your scalp before going to sleep every night. Massage the scalp with your fingertips for 10-15 minutes.This will improve the blood circulation to the scalp.
- Then wrap your head with the warm towel. It will absorb the oil into the scalp.
- Next morning wash your hair with mild or herbal shampoo.
- Repeat this remedy several times a week to get satisfactory results.
3.) Jojoba Oil to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Since scalp dryness is caused due to severe dryness, therefore, all types of oil will help you to combat the problem. Another oil in the list is Jojoba oil. It has moisturising properties which help to deal with the itchy and dry scalp. It also rejuvenates and hydrates the skin. You can apply jojoba oil in following ways:
- With the help of fingertips massage jojoba oil into your scalp before going to the bed.
- Next morning shampoo your hair. However, use mild or herbal shampoo for head bath.
- Repeat this regularly to treat the dryness of scalp.
4.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Nothing can beat lemon juice when it come to treating body problems. It is one of the best home remedies for the dry and itchy scalp. In addition, it also prevents scalp infection like dandruff and dermatitis. All thanks to its antiseptic properties. You can apply lemon juice on the scalp in following ways:
- You can directly rub a lemon slice on the scalp or can apply the lemon juice directly on the scalp. If you find it too strong then you can dilute it by adding an equal amount of water in it. Leave it on the scalp for 5-7 minutes. At last shampoo your hair.
- Alternatively, mix some yoghurt with lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair. Leave it on for a few minutes. At last, wash your hair and scalp with mild and herbal shampoo.
- Repeat any of the above remedies regularly to treat the dryness and itchy scalp.
5.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Another home remedy that can help you to get rid of dry scalp is tea tree oil. It has antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammation properties. All these properties help to treat the dry scalp. You can apply tea tree oil on your scalp in following ways:
- In mild or baby shampoo add a few drops of tea tree oil and use it to wash your scalp and hair. Do this regularly until you get satisfactory results.
- Alternatively, in a small bowl mix a tablespoon of vegetable oil with a few drops of tea tree oil. Massage this oil solution on your scalp.
- Regularly follow any of the above remedies to get rid of the itchy and dry scalp.
- P.S – Do not apply tea tree oil alone on the scalp.
6.) Aloe-Vera to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Aloe-Vera is a boon for all the skin and hair related problems. Apply Aloe-Vera gel regularly and see the difference. All thanks to its moisturising properties which help to deal with itching, dryness and even dandruff also. All you need to do is:
- Apply natural Aloe-Vera gel on the scalp. Leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Then shampoo your hair and scalp.
- You can also use artificial Aloe-Vera gel for this purpose.
- Do this regularly until you get satisfactory results.
7.) Baking Powder to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Peep into your kitchen and you will get the bundle full of items that you use to deal with hair and skin problems. Another such remedy is baking soda. It exfoliates the scalp. It also controls dandruff and itching which is quite common during dryness. All you have to do is:
- In a small bowl make a thick paste of baking soda and water.
- Apply this mixture on the scalp. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Lastly shampoo your hair and scalp.
- P.S – Before applying this mixture, you can also rub some oil on your scalp.
- Follow this remedy regularly to treat the dry and itchy scalp.
8.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
A.C.V has anti-inflammation properties. It kills the virus that leads itchiness and dryness on the scalp. Moreover, it keeps the pH level of the scalp on track. It also helps to get rid and prevent further itching, dryness and dandruff. To apply Apple cider vinegar on your scalp, you have to do is:
- First, rinse your scalp and hair thoroughly with water.
- In a bowl mix some water and ACV. Apply this solution on your scalp with the cotton ball. Leave it on for a few minutes and then wash your hair and scalp with mild shampoo.
- Do this remedy 1-2 times in a week.
9.) Bananas to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Yes, bananas! They are good for scalp and hair. Apart from eating it regularly, you can also apply it on the scalp to cure the itchy and dry scalp. It will moisturise your scalp and treats the inflammation and flakes which are common during dryness. All you need to do is:
- Mash some bananas and ripe avocado. Mix both the fruits thoroughly to get a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your scalp and hair as well. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then shampoo your hair.
- Make sure that you remove the traces of bananas from your scalp properly since it tends to stick.
- Do this 1-2 times a week to get rid of dry scalp.
10.) Witch Hazel to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Witch hazel also helps to cure dryness and itching on the scalp. It is natural astringent, therefore, you can use it to cure the scalp infection including dryness.
- Mix some witch hazel with water. Make sure the quantity of the witch hazel should be half of the water.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and gently massage it.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then wash your hair with mild shampoo.
11.) Onion Juice to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
This is one of the effective home remedies to get rid of dry scalp. Onion juice cleanses the scalp and encourages hair growth. It also increases the blood circulation of the scalp thus increasing hair growth. The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of onion help to get rid of dry scalp that is caused by dandruff. Onion juice also provides your scalp with nutrients like magnesium, sulfur, potassium and vitamin C. Follow the steps given below to treat dry scalp.
- First thing that you can do is simply massage 2 to 3 tablespoons of onion juice on your hair for a couple of minutes. Wash your hair after 20 to 25 minutes with a regular shampoo and water.
- Alternatively, if you are unable to stand the strong smell of onion, then mix one or two tablespoons of olive oil in it. Massage it on your scalp and leave it for the next 30 minutes.
12.) Eucalyptus Oil to Treat Dry Scalp
This is one of the wonderful remedies to treat dry scalp. The anti-fungal and antiseptic properties of eucalyptus oil make it an effective choice itchy and dry scalp. It also helps to get rid of dandruff. Follow the steps given below for the treatment dry scalp.
- In 4 to 5 cups of water, mix one tablespoons of eucalyptus oil.
- Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of white vinegar and mix all the ingredients well.
- Apply this solution all over your hair. It should fully cover your scalp.
- After a couple of minutes, wash off your hair with your regular shampoo.
- Follow the treatment 2 to 3 times in a week to solve the problem of dry scalp.
13.) Mouthwash to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
This is one of the amazing methods to get rid of dry scalp. Mouthwash has anti-fungal properties which not helps to treat dry scalp but also prevents dandruff which is one of the main reasons behind dry scalp. Follow the steps given below for the treatment of dry scalp.
- Use your regular shampoo to rinse off your hair.
- Now, apply an alcohol based mouthwash all over your hair and scalp.
- Wait for a few minutes and then use your regular conditioner.
- Repeat this method once daily to get amazing results.
14.) Peppermint to Cure Dry Scalp
The cooling and numbing nature of peppermint makes it a wonderful remedy for dry scalp. It not only soothes the skin but also helps to get rid of the symptoms of dry scalp as irritation and itchiness. Follow the steps given below to get great results.
- In a small amount of water, add a few amounts of peppermint oil.
- Massage this prepared mixture and apply it all over your scalp and hair.
- Rub your fingers in circular motion on your head so that the oil is well absorbed.
- Wash your hair after a couple of minutes.
- Repeat this method on a regular basis to get rid of dryness and itchiness.
15.) Vitamin E to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Vitamin E is one of the excellent remedies to get rid of dry scalp. It helps to restore the natural oils of the scalp. If you are not eating a good diet or using too many beauty products, then it either leads to overproduction or underproduction of oils. You need to consume a diet that also includes vitamin E. Vegetables and fruits rich in vitamin E include broccoli, asparagus, papayas, almonds, mangoes etc. For external use, vitamin E oil is a great option. It keeps the scalp healthy and hydrated and prevents the damage that is caused by free radicals. It encourages hair growth and increases the blood circulation in the scalp. Vitamin E also maintains the pH levels of the scalp and reduces dryness. Follow the steps given below for the treatment of dry scalp.
- Take a few capsules of vitamin E and puncture it with a pin to extract its oil.
- Massage this oil of vitamin E on the scalp for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Rinse off your hair with your regular shampoo and water.
- Follow this treatment once in every week to increase circulation and reduce dryness.
16.) Mayonnaise to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
This is one of the magnificent methods to solve the problem of dry scalp. Since mayonnaise is made from eggs, it is very nourishing for the hair and scalp. It contains vinegar that kills the bacteria that is responsible for causing itching and dryness. Follow the steps given below to treat dry scalp.
- Take about half cup of mayonnaise and massage it on your scalp and hair roots.
- Wear a shower cap and then wait for the next 20 minutes.
- Rinse off your hair normally.
- Repeat this method two times in a week to disinfect the scalp and reduce dryness.
17.) Sea Salt to Treat Dry Scalp
Sea salt is one of the effective remedies for the treatment of dry scalp. It has the presence of magnesium which improves the skin barrier function. Sea salt is also beneficial in treating inflammatory conditions such as psoriasis. Follow the steps given below to solve the problem of dry scalp.
- Take one tablespoon of powdered sea salt or Epsom salt.
- Mix one tablespoon of coconut oil in it.
- Mix it well and then massage this combination on your scalp and hair roots.
- Wait for about 5 minutes and then shampoo your hair.
- You can even use olive oil instead of coconut oil.
- Repeat this method once or twice per week to get noticeable results.
18.) Avocado for the Treatment of Dry Scalp
This is one of the wonderful choices for the treatment of dry scalp. The vitamins, minerals, and natural oils present in avocado make it a great remedy for dry scalp. Avocado makes the hair moisturized and glossy. Follow the steps given below to get rid of dry scalp.
- Take a ripe avocado and mash it to make a paste.
- Add two tablespoons of virgin oil and one teaspoon of honey in it.
- Massage this avocado paste on your scalp and hair roots.
- Cover your hair with a towel and wait for the next 30 minutes.
- Rinse off your hair with a mild shampoo.
19.) Chamomile Oil to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
This is one of the amazing oils for the treatment of dry scalp. It rejuvenates and hydrates the hair. Follow the steps given below to solve the problem of dry scalp.
- Mix few drops of chamomile oil and any carrier oil ( olive oil or almond oil).
- Mix both these oils and then massage this mixture of oils on your scalp and hair roots.
- After massaging it for 10 minutes, leave it for another 15 minutes so that it is well absorbed in the scalp.
- Follow this treatment two times in a week to get rid of dryness and itchiness.
20.) Castor Oil to Treat Dry Scalp
It is one of the perfect solutions for dry and rough hair. This is thick in nature and hence is ideal for moisturizing the scalp. It also prevents hair loss while treating dry and itchy scalp. Castor oil is one of the safest remedies to try for dry scalp. Follow the steps given below to solve the problem of dry scalp.
- Microwave a bowl of castor oil for about 2 minutes.
- Massage this oil gently on your scalp and hair roots.
- Leave it overnight and don’t forget to wear a shower cap in order to prevent stains on the bed sheet.
- Next morning, shampoo your hair two times with warm water.
- Repeat this process two times in a week to cure dry scalp.