This article is about different ways to get rid of dry scalp. Do you often feel inflammation and itchiness on the scalp? If yes, then you are struggling with dry scalp. This is common scalp problem among both the genders. Sometimes it is caused due to the undernourished scalp. And, sometimes, it occurs because of sebaceous cyst. The sebaceous gland is a gland which produces natural oil in our body. If these glands do not function well then the oil is not produced and scalp becomes dry. With the advanced technology, there are many treatments which can cure dry scalp. However, if the problem has just begun then you can get rid of the dry scalp by applying following home remedies as well.
Symptoms of Dry Scalp:
- Itching on scalp
- Inflammation on the scalp
- You feel like scraping your scalp
- Visible white flakes(dandruff)
The Possible Causes of Dry Scalp are:
- Excess use of chemicals in hair products.
- Irregular oiling on scalp
- Poor hair care
- Sebaceous cyst
- Scalp infection
- Poor Diet
- Cradle cap
- Tinea Capitis
- Inefficient production of oil from sebum glands
Different Ways to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
1.) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Dry scalp is obviously caused due to dryness on the scalp that is because you do not apply oil on your hair. So apply coconut oil regularly on your hair do avoid dryness. It will moisturise your scalp. It will also help to treat the itchy scalp and dandruff. All you have to do is:
- First wash your scalp with an herbal or mild shampoo. It will clean your scalp.
- Pet dry you hair and scalp and then gently massage your scalp with coconut oil.
- Alternatively, mix some coconut oil with your regular shampoo that you use to wash your hair.
- Repeat this many times in the week to treat the dryness.
2.) Sesame Seed Oil to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Another oil which can help you to cure dry scalp is sesame seed. It has all the vital nutrients and healing properties that are needed to treat itchy and dry scalp. It will also moisturise your scalp and give you relief from the itchiness and inflammation if there is any. All you need to do is:
- Warm some sesame seeds. Make sure that it is not too warm otherwise, you might hurt your scalp.
- Use the warm oil to massage your scalp before going to sleep every night. Massage the scalp with your fingertips for 10-15 minutes.This will improve the blood circulation to the scalp.
- Then wrap your head with the warm towel. It will absorb the oil into the scalp.
- Next morning wash your hair with mild or herbal shampoo.
- Repeat this remedy several times a week to get satisfactory results.
3.) Jojoba Oil to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Since scalp dryness is caused due to severe dryness, therefore, all types of oil will help you to combat the problem. Another oil in the list is Jojoba oil. It has moisturising properties which help to deal with the itchy and dry scalp. It also rejuvenates and hydrates the skin. You can apply jojoba oil in following ways:
- With the help of fingertips massage jojoba oil into your scalp before going to the bed.
- Next morning shampoo your hair. However, use mild or herbal shampoo for head bath.
- Repeat this regularly to treat the dryness of scalp.
4.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Nothing can beat lemon juice when it come to treating body problems. It is one of the best home remedies for the dry and itchy scalp. In addition, it also prevents scalp infection like dandruff and dermatitis. All thanks to its antiseptic properties. You can apply lemon juice on the scalp in following ways:
- You can directly rub a lemon slice on the scalp or can apply the lemon juice directly on the scalp. If you find it too strong then you can dilute it by adding an equal amount of water in it. Leave it on the scalp for 5-7 minutes. At last shampoo your hair.
- Alternatively, mix some yoghurt with lemon juice. Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair. Leave it on for a few minutes. At last, wash your hair and scalp with mild and herbal shampoo.
- Repeat any of the above remedies regularly to treat the dryness and itchy scalp.
5.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Another home remedy that can help you to get rid of dry scalp is tea tree oil. It has antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammation properties. All these properties help to treat the dry scalp. You can apply tea tree oil on your scalp in following ways:
- In mild or baby shampoo add a few drops of tea tree oil and use it to wash your scalp and hair. Do this regularly until you get satisfactory results.
- Alternatively, in a small bowl mix a tablespoon of vegetable oil with a few drops of tea tree oil. Massage this oil solution on your scalp.
- Regularly follow any of the above remedies to get rid of the itchy and dry scalp.
- P.S – Do not apply tea tree oil alone on the scalp.
6.) Aloe-Vera to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Aloe-Vera is a boon for all the skin and hair related problems. Apply Aloe-Vera gel regularly and see the difference. All thanks to its moisturising properties which help to deal with itching, dryness and even dandruff also. All you need to do is:
- Apply natural Aloe-Vera gel on the scalp. Leave it for 15-20 minutes.
- Then shampoo your hair and scalp.
- You can also use artificial Aloe-Vera gel for this purpose.
- Do this regularly until you get satisfactory results.
7.) Baking Powder to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Peep into your kitchen and you will get the bundle full of items that you use to deal with hair and skin problems. Another such remedy is baking soda. It exfoliates the scalp. It also controls dandruff and itching which is quite common during dryness. All you have to do is:
- In a small bowl make a thick paste of baking soda and water.
- Apply this mixture on the scalp. Leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Lastly shampoo your hair and scalp.
- P.S – Before applying this mixture, you can also rub some oil on your scalp.
- Follow this remedy regularly to treat the dry and itchy scalp.
8.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
A.C.V has anti-inflammation properties. It kills the virus that leads itchiness and dryness on the scalp. Moreover, it keeps the pH level of the scalp on track. It also helps to get rid and prevent further itching, dryness and dandruff. To apply Apple cider vinegar on your scalp, you have to do is:
- First, rinse your scalp and hair thoroughly with water.
- In a bowl mix some water and ACV. Apply this solution on your scalp with the cotton ball. Leave it on for a few minutes and then wash your hair and scalp with mild shampoo.
- Do this remedy 1-2 times in a week.
9.) Bananas to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Yes, bananas! They are good for scalp and hair. Apart from eating it regularly, you can also apply it on the scalp to cure the itchy and dry scalp. It will moisturise your scalp and treats the inflammation and flakes which are common during dryness. All you need to do is:
- Mash some bananas and ripe avocado. Mix both the fruits thoroughly to get a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your scalp and hair as well. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then shampoo your hair.
- Make sure that you remove the traces of bananas from your scalp properly since it tends to stick.
- Do this 1-2 times a week to get rid of dry scalp.
10.) Witch Hazel to Get Rid of Dry Scalp
Witch hazel also helps to cure dryness and itching on the scalp. It is natural astringent, therefore, you can use it to cure the scalp infection including dryness.
- Mix some witch hazel with water. Make sure the quantity of the witch hazel should be half of the water.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and gently massage it.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes and then wash your hair with mild shampoo.