This article is about various remedies to get rid of lice. Head lice is a common problem especially among girls and students. The problem can become worse if it is not treated timely. With head lice, the person not only suffers from embarrassment, in fact, it can be mentally tortures since the person is not able to concentrate. Moreover, it sorts of ruins the quality of your hair. Since these head lies multiply very fast so in no time your head becomes a pool of these small parasites. The main cause of head lice is contact with the person who already has head lice. To cure the problem you have to treat it from its root cause. What better can be the natural remedies which do not have any chemical and thus are safe for kids as well? Below we have listed some of the home remedies that helps to get rid of lice.
Symptoms of Head Lice:
- Itching on scalp
- Tiny red bumps on the scalp.
Remedies to Get Rid of Head Lice:
- Remedies to Get Rid of Head Lice:
- 1.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Lice
- 2.) White Vinegar to Get Rid of Lice
- 3.) Garlic to Get Rid of Lice
- 4.) Salt to Get Rid of Lice
- 5.) Baby Oil to Get Rid of Lice
- 6.) Petroleum Jelly to Get Rid of Lice
- 7.) Olive Oil to Get Rid of lice
- 8.) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Head Lice
- 9.) Mayonnaise to Get Rid of Lice
- 10.) Sesame Seed Oil to Get Rid of Lice
1.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Lice
Tea tree oil is the first home remedy that comes in our mind when we talk about home remedies for head lice. It has been used for ages to get rid of the scalp infection and lice because it is a natural insecticide. You can apply tea tree oil on your hair by following ways:
- In a small bowl, add a teaspoon of tea tree oil, three tablespoons of carrier oil that can be olive oil or coconut oil and an ounce of mild shampoo. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- After properly mixing it, apply this mixture on hair and scalp properly. Then wrap a towel around your head or cover it with a shower cap. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then wash your hair thoroughly with warm water.
- After the head bath, comb your hair properly with a head lice comb to take out the dead lies. While doing so, your hair should be wet.
- P.S – Tea tree oil is very strong, so avoid applying it directly to the scalp.
2.) White Vinegar to Get Rid of Lice
Another effective home remedy for treating head lice is white vinegar. It is a safe and regular application of vinegar will give you clean scalp. It has an acetic acid that helps to kill the head lice and treat other scalp infections as well. All you have to do is:
- In a small bowl mix a tablespoon of white vinegar and water. Make sure that the proportion of water and white vinegar should be equal. Moreover, do not apply vinegar directly on the scalp.
- Apply this solution on your hair and scalp thoroughly. Then cover the head with the towel. Leave it on for an hour.
- After an hour dip, the head lice comb in the vinegar and use it to comb your hair. This will help you to remove the dead lice and their eggs.
- Alternatively, you can use white vinegar for rinsing your hair.
3.) Garlic to Get Rid of Lice
Garlic is also one of the best home remedies when it comes to killing head lice. All thanks to its strong fragrance that helps to suffocate the lice and gradually they die. Since it is easily available so you can use it anytime. And when it is combined with lemon, it really does a wonder. You just have to follow following steps to control head lice:
- In a grinder grind a few cloves of garlic into a paste.
- In a small bowl add the paste (of clove) and a few teaspoons of lemon juice.
- Apply this mixture on you scalp nicely. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes and then rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water.
- Alternatively, you can make a hair mask. For that in small bowl add fresh juice of garlic, cooking oil, green tea, lemon juice and your shampoo and conditioner (you can also use anti-lice shampoo and conditioner)
- Apply this hair mask on your hair and scalp properly. Then cover your head with a shower cap or a towel. Leave it on for 20-30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes shampoo your hair with the mild shampoo.
- Repeat this once in a week until you get satisfactory results.
4.) Salt to Get Rid of Lice
Another home remedy that comes handy for dealing head lice is salt. It can help you in getting rid of the head lice. It dries the scalp and thus the head lies are unable to live. We all know how much effective white vinegar is for head lice. For best results mix salt and vinegar. All you have to do is:
- In a bowl mix half cup of salt and vinegar. Mix both the ingredients thoroughly.
- You can either spray the solution on your hair or can directly apply it. Then cover your head with the towel or a shower cap.
- Leave it on for maximum 2 hours and then rinse it and shampoo your tresses.
- Do this 3 times a week for best results.
5.) Baby Oil to Get Rid of Lice
Well, it’s not only baby oil, you will need other ingredients as well. They are white vinegar, laundry detergent and baby oil. The mixture of these ingredients will help to kill the lice. Apply this mixture in the following ways:
- Gently massage your scalp with baby oil. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and then comb your hair to remove the lice.
- After removing the lice apply laundry detergent and wash your hair with it and warm water.
- Then before going to apply white vinegar on your hair. Cover your hair and leave it on for a night.
- Next morning wash your hair with mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat this 3-4 times in a week for best results.
6.) Petroleum Jelly to Get Rid of Lice
Petroleum jelly can also prove beneficial in treating the head lice. After applying the petroleum jelly, the lice will get suffocated and eventually die. It is very easy to apply. All you have to do is:
- Before going to sleep, apply a good layer of good quality of petroleum jelly or Vaseline to the scalp.
- Wrap a towel or shower cap on your head to cover it properly. Leave it on for a night.
- Next morning apply baby oil on your hair to remove the petroleum jelly.
- After it combs your hair thoroughly with the narrow tooth comb to remove the dead lice.
- Repeat this regularly for a week to get best results.
7.) Olive Oil to Get Rid of lice
Olive oil not only helps to get rid of head lice, in fact, it moisturises your scalp and protects it from the bacterial infection. You can apply it in the following ways:
- Before going to the bed apply olive oil properly on your hair and scalp. Then put towel or shower cap on your head and leave it on for a night. In the next morning comb your hair to remove the lice. Then wash your hair with the mild shampoo containing tea tree oil.
- Alternatively, in a bowl mix some liquid soap, one and a half cup of your conditioner and olive oil. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply this mixture on your hair and scalp and leave it on for an hour.
- After an hour wash your hair and do not forget to apply conditioner.
- At last comb your hair to remove the lice.
- Do this regularly to get rid of the head lice.
8.) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Head Lice
Apart from olive oil, coconut oil can also help you to get rid of the head lice. The coconut has lubricating nature and stops head lice from multiplying further. To make it more effective rinse your hair apple cider vinegar first. All you have to do is:
- After rinsing your hair with apple cider vinegar, pat them dry.
- Then before going to the bed apply coconut oil on your hair and scalp thoroughly.
- After applying the oil cover your head properly with a shower cap or a towel.
- Leave it on for a night. Next morning comb your hair and wash them with the herbal or mild shampoo.
- You can also add an essential oil in coconut oil as well.
- Repeat this regularly for a week.
9.) Mayonnaise to Get Rid of Lice
Mayonnaise not only cleanses your scalp in fact it also help to get rid of the lice and other parasites from the head. It will suffocate the lice and then you can remove the deal lice with the help of a comb. All you need to do is:
- Apply the mayonnaise (full-fat) on your scalp and hair thoroughly. Then wrap a towel or on your hair and leave it for 6-7 hours. It’s better to apply it at night so that you can leave it on overnight.
- Next morning wash your hair with shampoo and comb your hair to remove the dead lice when the hair is still wet.
- Do this regularly for effective results.
10.) Sesame Seed Oil to Get Rid of Lice
Last but not least in a list of remedies to get rid of lice is sesame seed oil. It has natural insecticide and antibacterial properties that make it an ideal remedy for head lice. All you have to do is:
- In a bowl mix some indicia oil, tea tree oil essential oils (lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus oil) and sesame seeds.
- First rinse your hair with A.C.V. Let it dry and then apply this oil solution on your scalp and hair roughly.
- Cover your head and hair and leave it for 5-7 hours.
- Then comb your hair to remove the dead lice. At last shampoo your hair.
Also read “How to Detect Lice”