After writing, how to get longer hair?, how to make hair stronger?, and how to get rid of dandruff?, we are now writing the different ways to take care of oily and greasy hair. When life becomes busy, then it turns out to be a very hard situation for you to manage your hair and your looks. No matter, how hard you try to look perfect but, few imperfections can bring down your makeover. So, in this article, we are going to discuss one such imperfection that majority of people face on a regular basis i.e oily and greasy hair. Even after washing your hair properly, you must have noticed that you get greasy hair on the next day. All this happen, due to excessive secretion of oil from your scalp. Hence, in such kind of situation, it is really important to take care of oily and greasy hair.
Causes of Oily and Greasy Hair:
There are various causes of oily and greasy hair.
- Lack of consistent washing of hair causes oily and greasy hair.
- Using products that cause oily and greasy scalp.
- Genetic predisposition also causes oily and greasy hair.
- It may cause due to the accumulation of dirt and impurities in the hair scalp.
- Excessive use of shampoo can turn your hair greasy in a day or two.
- Dandruff can also make your hair oily and greasy.
Various Ways to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair:
1.) Apply Lemon Juice to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair
Lemon is the best way to get rid of oily and greasy hair. It contains various vital vitamins and minerals that make it one of the most effective products to treat several skin and hair problems. It even contains acidic property that helps in balancing pH scale of your hair. It can also control oil secretion easily. To prepare this natural treatment, follow these steps:
- Take two cups of distilled water in a container.
- Now, mix the juice of two lemons and three teaspoons of honey in this solution.
- Mix it well and apply this solution on your hair and scalp.
- Massage your hair using this solution for a few minutes.
- Leave this solution on your hair for 5 minutes.
- After this, just wash your hair using lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy 3 times a week to get rid of oily and greasy hair.
2.) Apply Aloe Vera to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair
Aloe Vera gel is rich in several qualities. It is a great remedy for various problems related to hair. It contains soothing properties that help in keeping your hair healthy by controlling oil secretion from your hair. It also keeps your hair nourished and helps in getting rid of dirt and impurities that get accumulated on your hair. To use this natural treatment, follow these steps:
- Take a mild shampoo in a bowl and add one teaspoon of aloe Vera gel in it.
- Also, add little amount of lemon juice in this solution.
- Mix this well and store this solution in a bottle in the refrigerator for few minutes.
- Shampoo your hair using this solution on every alternate day to get rid of oily and greasy hair.
3.) Wash Your Hair with Beer to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair
Beer is considered to be one of the best products to wash your hair. It provides the little bit of drying effect that helps in reducing greasiness from your hair. The more alcohol content beer contains, the better it is for your hair. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take half cup of beer and mix water in it.
- Mix it well and keep it in the mind that beer should be diluted effectively in water.
- After this, wash your hair using this mixture to increase the shine of your hair.
- It is an effective way to treat oily and greasy hair.
4.) Use Fuller’s Earth to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair
Fuller’s earth is not only good for your skin. But, it is also a great natural treatment for oily and greasy hair. It is a good natural absorbent that helps in absorbing excessive oil accumulated on your scalp. It even helps in improving the blood circulation in the scalp. Also, it contains minerals that help in maintaining a pH level of your scalp. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Prepare a thick paste by adding water in three tablespoons of fuller’s earth.
- Mix it well.
- After this, apply this paste directly on your scalp and your hair.
- Leave it on your hair for 15-20 minutes.
- At last, wash it off using lukewarm water.
- Use this natural remedy once a week to get rid of oily and greasy hair.
5.) Baking Soda to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair
Baking soda contains amazing oil absorbing qualities that help in reducing greasiness from your scalp. It also contains alkaline properties that help in maintaining the pH level of your scalp. It can even reduce the foul smell of your hair. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Prepare a paste by mixing three parts of water with one part of baking soda. Mix it well and apply this paste on damp hair. Leave it on your hair for a few minutes. After this, just wash your hair using lukewarm water to get rid of oily and greasy hair. Use this remedy 1-2 times a week.
- Alternatively, you may wash your hair by using baking soda powder as a shampoo. It can even cause dry hair, so use it only when your hair is extremely oily and greasy.
6.) Eat Healthy to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair
To maintain your hair, you need to eat right kind of foods. Also, you need to avoid few foods, if you want to get rid of oily and greasy hair. So, stay away from oily and processed foods as much as you can. Moreover, stop eating deep fried and oily foods, as they can only make the condition of your hair worst. So, avoid foods like French fries, burger, chips, pizza, deep fried chicken and many more. Also, add foods like almonds, berries, raisins and dates in your diet to get rid of oily and greasy hair.
7.) Avoid Serum and Gels to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair
If your hair is oily and greasy, then there is no need to apply serum and gel on it. Oily hair is already shiny in texture so there is no need to apply serum and gels on your hair as it may spoil your hair more. Also, don’t apply oil on your scalp. Use oil on your hair just once in a week.
8.) Prepare Egg Mask to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair
Eggs can be used as a great natural conditioner for your hair. It is a great remedy to remove all dirt and impurities from your hair. To use this natural remedy, follow these steps:
- Whisk one and a half egg and apply it on your damp hair directly.
- Leave it on your hair for 15-20 minutes.
- After this, wash your hair with mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Use this remedy once in every two weeks.
9.) Apply Tomatoes to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair
Tomatoes help in maintaining the pH level of your scalp. They also help in controlling the oil secretion that in turn contributes to removing foul odor from your scalp. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Mix one teaspoon of fuller’s earth with the juice extracted from one ripe tomato.
- Mix it well and apply this mixture on your scalp directly.
- After this, cover your head with a shower cap.
- Leave it on your hair for 30 minutes.
- At last, wash your hair using cold water.
- Apply this remedy once or twice in a week to get rid of oily and greasy hair.
10.) Shampoo Your Hair Every Alternate Day to Take Care of Oily and Greasy Hair
If your hair is oily and greasy, then it is really important to keep it clean. So, if you want to stop oil secretion and to protect your hair from dirt and impurities, just wash it on every alternate day. It is the best way to prevent oily and greasy hair.
Modify Cleansing Regime to take care of oily and greasy hair
1.) Don’t Wash Your Hair Regularly
While it may like counterintuitive, wash your hair regularly can actually triggers excess oil production. The major reason is because of shampoo removes your head of natural oil and scalp reacts by producing it more. And some shampoos and conditioners which are available in the market also contain high level of chemicals, especially which contains silicone which leaves your hair more oil or oil like a substance. So avoid washing your hair regularly to take care of oily and greasy hair. If you are washing your hair regularly then start cutting back slowly and skip only one hair washing per week. Eventually, wash your hair after 3-4 days to prevent greasy and oily hair.
No matter what product you are using for your hair, just make sure you are rinsing it properly. You should rinse your atleast for 30 seconds, but the longer, the more better.
2.) Use the Right Shampoo
To takecare of oily and greasy hair, you need to use gentle shampoo to avoid the problem of using too much oil. Also, periodically using a shampoo that contains selenium sulfide, salicylic acid or ketoconazole will deeply clean the scalp of hair products build up, which gives you healthier and less oily scalp.
You can also use the shampoo which contains tea tree oil as it will absorb the oil. So using a right shampoo is also necessary to take care of oily and greasy hair.
3.) Apply Conditioner Carefully
As conditioner is made for your hair to make it soft and silky, this is a short step to greasy. You should use the conditioner immediately after the shampooing when your hair is driest and stick to the dollap the size of a small coin. Rub the conditioner on the ends of hair only. As the roots are slick enough. If you want to reduce the amount of conditioner, you just lightly apply a spray-on, leave in conditioner instead.
While using hair conditioner, make sure you are applying it on the ends of your hair. As when you apply conditioner on your scalp, it will make your hair dry, brittle and produce more oil on the scalp. Go for the conditioner that removes oil from hair and use them sparingly.
4.) Keep the Heat from Your Head
As heat activates the oil production in the scalp, so avoid blow drying. To prevent oil in the scalp, just stay away from the heating tool for your hair like straightener, curling iron and hot rollers if you seriously concern with oiliness. Heating cause excessive oil production which not only makes your hair greasy and oily, but also prevent hair growth as excessive oil can cause blockage in the hair pores. Oily and greasy hair leads to bacteria and dandruff that cause major hair loss.
You need to also avoid the oil based products that make your scalp oily and greasy. If you are using any oily product then cut it off that will give you dandruff and oily scalp.
5.) Spray on Dry Shampoo
To avoid regular hair wash, you can also dry shampoo that helps to get rid of oiliness from the roots and increase volume. It is a best option for the non-shampoo days. Dry shampoo is great option for the occasional hair help, but you can’t use it every day. As regular use of dry shampoo leads to blockage of hair follicles and make it difficult for the sweat glands on your head to do their job properly.
You can go for cornstarch, cornmeal and blotting paper which work similar to dry shampoo, soaking up the excess oil in between the washes. Dry shampoo is available in the form of spray and liquid form. Baking soda, talcum powder is also effective for absorbing the grease.
6.) Go for Clarifying Shampoo if Necessary
Clarifying shampoo are extra powerful products that strips out products that buildup from hair product. As these products are very harsh, if you use it regularly then it will leads to heavy damage on your hair. It is especially recommended to use it once every 2nd to 4th wash.
These shampoos are not meant for color treated hair. Clarifying shampoo is harsh in nature that causes heavy damage to hair. So never use clarifying shampoo on color treated hair, which might make your hair gets fade and can be leave vulnerable damage to your hair.
7.) Avoid Hair Dandruff
The one of the major reason of dandruff is oily and greasy scalp. Some people misunderstood dandruff that it causes because of dry skin of scalp. But the correct reason is, dandruff triggers because of overproduction of sebum or scalp oil. If you want to prevent dandruff then use shampoo that removes dandruff and also give you healthy scalp. Before purchasing any shampoo, better to read the labels that will help you in selecting the right shampoo for dandruff.
Managing Your Hair in Other Ways to Prevent Oily and Greasy Scalp
1.) Always Keep Your Fingers Away From Your Hair
If you constantly twirl your hair or brush a lock back with your fingers then you must be wipping off oil from your skin. You should clip or tie your hair so that it won’t get fall on your head. If you can’t control your hands then you can check out the article how to keep your hands away from your face.
2.) Select Your Hairstyle
There are many hairstyles which help in keeping your hair together. You can go for bun, braids and other hairstyles that help you to keep your hair together. Keeping your hair strands together instead of hair falling loosely will reduce the visibility of greasy hair.
3.) Time Your Shampoo Cycle
If any big event is coming up, and you need to wash your hair on the same day, so that it will look fresh as possible. Time your shampoo cycle so that you haven’t washed your hair in the few days before the event days. Your will look grease free for the whole day.
4.) Go for the Haircut
Long and greasy hair requires high maintenance. On the other hand it also said that the most the oil get accumulated near the roots, so that haircut may not improve matters.