Chia seeds works as a medicinal herb to improve health. It contains a large amount of healthy dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. It also contains other nutrients such as protein, calcium, copper, potassium, phosphorous and zinc. People use chia seeds for high blood pressure, diabetes and also for reducing the risk of heart disease. Chia seeds are very easy to digest and can be added to recipes. If chia seeds have many benefits then there are chia seeds side effects also. In this article, take a look at the side effects of chia seeds.
Chia Seeds Side Effects:
- Chia Seeds Side Effects:
- 1.) Blood Thinning Is Major Side Effect of Chia Seeds
- 2.) Pregnancy Issues by Chia Seeds
- 3.) High Triglycerides Cause by Chia Seeds Side Effects
- 4.) Flatulence from Chia Seeds
- 5.) Prostate Cancer Major Side Effect of Chia Seeds
- 6.) Allergic Reactions by Chia Seeds
- 7.) Addiction Risks from Chia Seeds
- 8.) Interaction with Certain Medications
- 9.) Vitamin B17 Overdose Risk
- 10.) Toxicity by Chia Seeds
- 11.) Diarrhea Caused by Chia Seeds Side Effects
- 12.) Hypoglycemia Caused by Chia Seeds Side Effects
In the above-mentioned paragraph, we discussed the beneficial capacity of chia seeds. But, as every coin has two faces, so does chia seeds. Chia seeds have side effects as well. And, before using any ingredient, you should know everything about that ingredient. Many people know that chia seeds possess some side effects as well. But, what are those side effects? Not many people have answers to this question. Well, further in this article, we are going to discuss the side effects that the chia seeds have. Here are some side effects which is caused by having chia seeds.
1.) Blood Thinning Is Major Side Effect of Chia Seeds
- Chia seeds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are important for a dietary element, but it may be troublesome for those who are suffering from blood diseases or who have blood thinning medications.
- You will need to consult your doctor about the safety of chia seeds in your diet for this problem.
- Chia seeds can also lower your blood pressure.
2.) Pregnancy Issues by Chia Seeds
- Pregnant woman or woman who wants to become pregnant need to have chia seeds with extreme caution.
- While there are no pregnancy related problems which are linked to chia seeds.
- There is no research on the safety of chia seeds for pregnancy.
- Pregnant women and breast-feeding women should not consume chia feeds.
3.) High Triglycerides Cause by Chia Seeds Side Effects
- Chia seeds are used to reduce the problem of high triglycerides in some patients.
- Salba is a variety of chia seeds which do not impact triglyceride levels.
- So stick to the salba variety if you are concerned about triglycerides.
- If you eat large amount of chia seeds then chia seeds will absorb water from your stomach and may result in constipation, abdominal pain and cramping.
4.) Flatulence from Chia Seeds
- Flatulence is one of the most common chia seeds side effects.
- Chia seeds give a very common problem that is gas and flatulence.
- If you are having a lot of chia seeds then you need to reduce your consumption of chia seeds.
- By doing this, you can avoid this embarrassing side effect naturally at home.
5.) Prostate Cancer Major Side Effect of Chia Seeds
- Chia seeds contain a large amount of alpha- linolenic acids that contribute to a higher risk of prostate cancer.
- If someone is suffering from prostate cancer then it should limit your intake of chia seeds. Its effects can vary in that case.
6.) Allergic Reactions by Chia Seeds
- Chia seeds are the cause of having an allergic reaction in some patients.
- If you are allergic to mustard seeds, then surely you are also allergic to chia seeds. So the best way is to avoid chia seeds.
- Symptoms of the allergic reaction are nausea, skin rashes, watery eyes, vomiting, swelling of the mouth and throat, hives and difficulty in breathing.
- If the reaction is not controlled, then it can cause anaphylactic shock which can result in death.
- These allergic reactions can occur due to the consumption of chia seeds.
7.) Addiction Risks from Chia Seeds
- If you are addicted to chia seeds, then it is not good for your health as it increases the risk of diseases.
- You should eat chia seeds in small amounts for a short period of time.
- Take a break before having chia seeds in your diet again. Use chia seeds with proper caution.
8.) Interaction with Certain Medications
- Due to the effects of blood thinning, blood pressure, and insulin resistance, chia seeds may interact with certain medications.
- If you are treating blood pressure or diabetes then you need to consult your medical professionals before using chia seeds.
- Using chia seeds with your medications may be safe but you need to limit them.
- If you will use too much chia seeds with medications, then it can cause to thin your blood and low blood pressure.
9.) Vitamin B17 Overdose Risk
- Chia seeds contain a large amount of vitamin B17.
- If you are consuming chia seeds while taking B17 supplements, then you overdose on the phytonutrient.
- Vitamin B17 are found in apricot kernels and these kernels are used to make medicinal components and oil. It can be used to treat cancer. Eating chia seeds with caution is the best way to proceed.
10.) Toxicity by Chia Seeds
- Pesticides are used during the cultivation of chia seeds in order to prevent them from pest attacks.
- Due to which these chia seeds get toxicated with various chemicals.
- So, it is better to minimize the usage of pesticides in order to minimize the level of toxicity in chia seeds.
- You can either go for organic chia seeds as they are not treated with pesticides when they are cultivated.
11.) Diarrhea Caused by Chia Seeds Side Effects
- Chia seed is a great source of fiber. Increasing fiber intake in your diet may help you to maintain your bowel movement habits.
- Excessive consumption of chia seeds may over stimulate your intestinal system and can cause urgent and frequent bowel movements that lead to loose stools.
- This type of side effect is called diarrhea and that may occur in conjunction with abdominal pain.
12.) Hypoglycemia Caused by Chia Seeds Side Effects
- Hypoglycemia is also known as low blood pressure. It can occur as a side effect of consuming chia seeds. Due to this problem, people should not consume chia seeds unless it is instructed by a physician.
- If you experience hypoglycemia, then you may experience hunger, fatigue, anxiety, unusual sweating and confusion.