After writing, how to stop a runny nose?, how to stop sneezing?, how to get rid of a cough?, and how to make yourself sneeze?, we are now writing how to clear a stuffy nose? A stuffy nose is the result of cold, allergy and flu, it actually makes the nose drips and runs. You might also be suffering from a stuffy nose or maybe you are more vulnerable towards it, but you trust home remedies more than anything. May be you have tried different medications and now have no faith left in them. If these are the situations you are going through then you are at right place. In this article, we will discuss various amazing remedies to clear a stuffy nose.
What Causes Stuffy Nose?
- After a flu, cold or allergies, the person get bacteria attack that takes place in the nasal passage. If the white color of the mucus has turned to yellow or green, this changed color of mucus identifies the bacterial attack.
- This infection not only causes stuffy nose, but it also increases problem such as pain in the forehead, eyes, nose or in the face.
- This infection when last longer than 2 weeks, becomes chronic. Here you need a check-up, so go to the doctor and consult him about the medications.
Best Ways to Clear a Stuffy Nose:
- Best Ways to Clear a Stuffy Nose:
- 1.) Drink Lemon And Honey Tea
- 2.) Avoid The Dairy Products
- 3.) Use Honey And Ginger
- 4.) Use Steam Treatment
- 5.) Warm Water Shower
- 6.) Try To Eat Spicy Food
- 7.) Apply Vapor Rub
- 8.) Chew The Basil Leaves
- 9.) Use The Garlic
- 10.) Try The Acupressure
- 11.) Take Care of Your Diet
- 12.) Increase Liquid Consumption
- 13.) Make a Chinese Solution
- 14.) Snooze Frequently
- 15.) Stay Away From The Dust
- 16.) Consult Your Doctor
- 17.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Clear Stuffy Nose
- 18.) Cayenne Pepper to Get Rid of Stuffy Nose
- 19.) Eucalyptus Oil to Treat Stuffy Nose
- 20.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Stuffy Nose
- 21.) Tomato Juice to Clear Stuffy Nose
- 22.) Fenugreek Seeds to Get Rid of Stuffy Nose
- 23.) Mustard Oil to Clear Blocked Nose
- 24.) Neti Pot to Get Rid of Blocked Nose
- 25.) Dietary Changes to Clear Stuffy Nose
1.) Drink Lemon And Honey Tea
This tea will help to keep your body hydrated and the warm sip will clear the nasal congestion so the honey and lemon tea is the best way to clear a stuffy nose. You can prepare the tea just by following the few simple step, take a hot cup of water. Mix 1 tbsp of honey and squeeze a half lemon in it. Mix it well and drink it like a tea. Drink this 4 times a day or whenever you feel the congestion.
2.) Avoid The Dairy Products
Do not take food item that is rich in dairy, like milk, ice-cream, curd. Dairy products can increase the problem because it causes cold and nasal congestion. It can also lead the problem with chronic one. Avoiding such item with all the remedies will help to clear a stuffy nose faster.
3.) Use Honey And Ginger
Honey is the best natural source of anti-bacteria and antiseptic properties and this will help to remove the bacterial infection. Ginger is the best spice to clear a stuffy nose. Take 1 tsp of honey and mix it with ½ spoon of ginger paste. Mix it well to form a paste. Eat this thrice a day to clear a stuffy nose. You can also add this mixture in a hot cup of water and drink it like a tea.
4.) Use Steam Treatment
Taking steam this will remove nasal congestion. This will allow you to take a warm breath in your lungs and this will clear the passage to clear a stuffy nose. You can also add a few drops of peppermint oil for better and faster results.
- Take a hot steamy water in a tub or a container with the wide opening mouth. Add a few drops of mint oil in the hot water.
- Drape a thick cloth like a towel on your head and put your face parallel to the hot water container, so that you breathe in the steam of the hot water. Repeat this for a week.
5.) Warm Water Shower
Take a shower under the warmest water you can. A shower under the warm water will give relief to stuffy nose. Let your nose take a warm shower for a few minutes. Also, try to inhale the steam of warm water. This helps to take warm breath in your lungs. Once the nasal congestion is cleared you can easily clear a stuffy nose.
6.) Try To Eat Spicy Food
Spicy foods help to clear a stuffy nose, red chilly powder, peppers, and ginger can relieve the stuffy nose quickly. When you stop to feel the spiciness of the food, the congestion will come up at the same level as it was before. But one thing can really help you that is ginger, so keep a small piece of ginger is your mouth and keep sucking it.
7.) Apply Vapor Rub
This is the quickest way to clear a stuffy nose. Vapor rub shows the magical results to clear the stuffy nose. Apply it on forehead, nose, chest and back. It also gives relief in the pain caused by stuffy nose.
8.) Chew The Basil Leaves
Basil is the key home remedy to get rid of many diseases. The process is easy. If you have a stuffy nose, you can use the leaves of the basil in different ways. What you can do is chew 3-4 leaves before the breakfast or you can prepare some tea using the basil. It adds amazing taste to the tea, help you clear a stuffy nose and improves your health as well.
9.) Use The Garlic
This home remedy is a little hard to follow, but is very effective in curing a stuffy nose. You have to eat the garlic cloves. If it seems tough then you can prepare garlic soup also. Making garlic soup is more than easy. What you have to do is boil a cup of water and add 2-3 three fine chopped garlic cloves to it. Boil it for a few minutes and have the soup. You can add garlic clove to your warm dishes and other soup also.
10.) Try The Acupressure
Give your face a massage. You can do it by yourself. Place your index finger of both the hands on either side of the nose and rub it in outward directions. Do it for almost thirty seconds. Use the same method outside your eyes as well. Mind that you are massaging in outward directions. Do not massage your cheeks with index fingers. Use thumbs for massaging your cheeks. It should also be in outward directions.
11.) Take Care of Your Diet
This home remedy for stuffy nose is a remedy and precaution at the same time. When you have a stuffy nose use this method. Go for spicy food. Try to avoid dairy products as much as possible. Eating spicy food like pepper, chilies and ginger helps with stuffy nose. Spicy food makes your nose run and thus prove to be one of the most amazing remedies to clear a stuffy nose.
12.) Increase Liquid Consumption
Increasing liquid in your diet is must to clear a stuffy nose. This home remedy, to get rid of stuffy nose, is quite enjoyable. Increase the amount of liquid intake. Have coffee and tea as much as possible. Soup will also perform the same function. These hot liquids increase heat in the body and helps thinning the mucus, which pushes the fluid from the nose.
13.) Make a Chinese Solution
Making Chinese solution, a simple home remedy to clear a stuffy nose. Follow the simple steps and get rid of the stuffy nose. Take a cup of lukewarm water and add one teaspoon of salt to it. Stir it till it is thoroughly mixed. Make sure that the water is not too hot. Deposit the water in your nostril using a dropper. Discharge the water gently after 5 minutes.
14.) Snooze Frequently
Do not bind yourself to sneeze when you feel like. Snooze whenever you feel it this will clear the congestion to clear the stuffy nose. It is the best natural and effortless way to clear the stuffy nose
15.) Stay Away From The Dust
Try to avoid your presence near the dust it can worsen the situation. Dust particle once enters your nasal will mix with the cough and forms a rigid congestion, so try not to inhale in dusty areas. You can use mask to avoid dust particles.
16.) Consult Your Doctor
If you are suffering with this problem more than 2-3 weeks it is highly recommended to consult your doctor. Because once the mucus gets infected by the bacteria, it becomes the chronic and can harm the lungs in various ways. It can also lead to some serious problem, so take help from a doctor and follow the medication recommended by him properly.
17.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Clear Stuffy Nose
This is one of the excellent home remedies to get rid of stuffy nose. This natural decongestant breaks the congested mucous and gives quick relief from stuffy nose. The potassium present in apple cider vinegar helps to dry up the runny nose. Follow the steps given below to get quick relief.
- In one cup of warm water, mix two tablespoons of unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
- Add one tablespoon of honey and stir well.
- Drink this solution 3 to 4 times in a day to clear blocked nose.
- Alternatively, mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water. Bring this solution to a boil. Inhale the steam 2 to 3 times a day to get relief. Make sure you close your eyes while inhaling the steam.
18.) Cayenne Pepper to Get Rid of Stuffy Nose
This capsaicin present in cayenne pepper makes it an amazing remedy for blocked nose. It is a perfect solution for blocked sinuses and nasal congestion. This is a natural decongestant that gives quick relief from inflammation in the nasal passage. Cayenne pepper has a fiery effect which loosens the mucus and helps to get rid of allergens that cause stuffy nose. Follow the steps given below to get fast relief.
- Take cotton and dip it in cayenne pepper.
- Bring this cotton close to your nostrils to induce sneezing.
- The burning sensation will relieve the sinus pain and pressure.
- Repeat this process thrice a day to clear blocked nose.
- Alternatively, in one tablespoon of honey, mix half teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder. Consume this 5 to 6 times a day to get desirable results.
19.) Eucalyptus Oil to Treat Stuffy Nose
This is one of the perfect home remedies to treat stuffy nose. The decongestant and anti-inflammatory properties of eucalyptus oil makes it a perfect remedy for nasal congestion. This natural cough suppressant clears the mucus. Follow the steps given below to get quick relief.
- Boil a pot of water, add 4 to 5 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Use a towel to cover your head and inhale the steam for atleast 2 minutes.
- Do this atleast 2 times a day to clear nasal passage.
- Alternatively, pour 3 to 4 drops of eucalyptus oil on your handkerchief. Inhale the fumes several times a day to get relief.
20.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Stuffy Nose
The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties of turmeric make it an excellent remedy for nasal congestion. Turmeric also contains a compound called curcumin which minimizes the swelling and inflammation in the nasal passages. It strengthens and boosts the immune system. Follow the steps given below for fast relief.
- Boil a glass of milk and mix one teaspoon of turmeric in it.
- Simmer it for atleast 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add a little amount of raw honey in it.
- Consume this turmeric milk atleast two times a day to get relief.
- Alternatively, in one tablespoon of lemon juice, mix 2 tablespoons of turmeric. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper and mix this mixture well. Eat this mixture two times a day to speed up the healing process.
21.) Tomato Juice to Clear Stuffy Nose
This is one of the best home remedies to clear stuffy nose. Tomato juice not only helps to reduce the inflammation but also thins down the mucus. The presence of vitamin C in tomatoes strengthens the immune system. Follow the steps given below to get quick relief.
- In one cup of tomato juice, add one teaspoon of chopped garlic.
- Mix half tablespoon of hot sauce and one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Add a pinch of salt and bring this soup to a boil.
- Sip this hot tomato juice to get relief.
- Drink this soup twice a day to clear blocked nose.
22.) Fenugreek Seeds to Get Rid of Stuffy Nose
This is one of the excellent home remedies to get rid of blocked nose. The anti-inflammatory properties of fenugreek seeds open the sinus and minimize the swelling of blood vessels. It clears the nasal passage by thinning down the mucus. Follow the steps given below to get instant relief.
- In one cup of water, add one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds.
- Bring this water to a boil and then turn down the flame.
- Strain the water and sip the warm water.
- Drink this several times a day to clear stuffy nose.
23.) Mustard Oil to Clear Blocked Nose
The decongestant properties of mustard oil make it an amazing remedy for blocked nose. It gives quick relief from the discomfort caused by stuffy nose. The anti-microbial properties of mustard oil kill the pathogens that cause discomfort. Follow the steps given below to get quick relief.
- In one fourth cup of mustard oil, add a teaspoon of black cumin seeds.
- Heat it for the next 3 to 4 minutes.
- Strain the oil and rub it on your chest and forehead.
- Let it dry completely.
- Do this several times a day to clear stuffy nose.
24.) Neti Pot to Get Rid of Blocked Nose
This is one of the wonderful remedies to get rid of blocked nose. It removes the congestion and clears the nasal passage. It is a perfect solution to clear the mucus from the nasal passage. Follow the steps given below to get fast relief.
- In a glass of warm distilled water, mix one teaspoon of salt.
- Keep this solution in a neti pot.
- Tilt your head and keep the spout of the pot in your nostril.
- The water will enter your one nostril and come out from the other.
- Repeat this several times a day to clear mucus.
25.) Dietary Changes to Clear Stuffy Nose
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated and prevent stuffy nose. Staying hydrated will reduce the sinus blockages.
- Consume food items rich in vitamin C and zinc to strengthen your immune system.
- Don’t consume sugary products such as cakes, cookies, chocolates etc.
- Carbonated beverages increase the problem so avoid carbonated beverages.
- Go for herbal teas to thin mucus and reduce congestion.
- Include garlic, ginger, pepper and other spices in your daily diet.
- Spicy food will give relief from congested sinuses.
Tips to Prevent Stuffy Nose
- Drink a lot of hot beverages to prevent stuffy nose.
- Include lot of spices in your food especially pepper to clear nasal passage.
- Smell a slice of onion to keep your nose decongested.
- Elevate your head by using pillows while you are sleeping. This is done to reduce the mucus formation.
- Go for hot steam bath or aromatherapy to prevent stuffy nose.
- Do not swim in chlorinated pools as it can irritate the mucus membranes.
- Chew a lot of mint leaves to prevent congestion.
- Do not blow your nose repeatedly if you are having stuffy nose because this can make your situation worse.
- Increase humidity in your room to get rid of stuffy nose fast.