Most of the people suffer from chest congestion at some point during their lifetime. This condition affects your respiratory system or some health conditions. Chest congestion is a problem when you feel heaviness or pressure, tightness in the chest region. Due to the tightness in the chest breathing becomes difficult. Chest congestion is a result of mucus build up in and around the lungs. Common cold is the common cause of chest congestion. Bacteria, allergens and fungi can also cause chest congestion and infection. There are some other cause also bronchitis, asthma, tuberculosis, the flu and bronchitis. During chest congestion you may feel tired, uncomfortable, irritation in the throat, shortness of breath, cough, mild chest pain, tightened chest and dizziness. If it is not treated on time, then it may cause an infection in your respiratory system. To counter this problem, you can use prescribed medicines and you can also use some simple home and natural remedies to clear chest congestion.
Symptoms of Chest Congestion:
- Chest pain
- Runny nose
- Breathing problem
- Blood in phlegm
Causes of Chest Congestion:
- Common cold
- Lung cancer
- Airborne allergies
- Heart problems
Best Remedies to Clear Chest Congestion:
It is essential to remove the mucus which is deposited in the chest region to get relief from chest congestion symptoms. Here are some treatments to clear chest congestion.
1.) Diet to Clear Chest Congestion
If your immune system is weak, then it may cause the infections like pneumonia, flu etc. So you need to take a balanced diet to improve your immune system and to clear chest congestion. Include diet, which are rich in vitamin E and vitamin C that helps to boost your immune system. A proper diet is useful to reduce the mucus production. Don’t include dairy products, if you are having chest congestion. Have celery, onions and garlic which is beneficial in reducing mucus production. Have warm foods and drinks to open the airways and eliminate the mucus from the body.
2.) Get Prescribed Medication to Clear Chest Congestion at Home
- If the condition gets worse, then you need to consult a doctor.
- Use an antibiotic shot, nasal spray, pills or prescription vitamin therapy to clear the chest congestion.
- For breathing treatment, use inhalers or neutralizers.
3.) Onion to Treat Chest Congestion Fast
Onion is a good remedy to treat chest congestion. It contains quercetin which helps to dissolve the mucus. It also prevents build-up of mucus in the chest. Due to its antimicrobial properties it helps to prevent infection.
Steps to Use Onion to Get Relief from Chest Congestion:
- Take an onion and extract some juice from it.
- Mix equal amounts of honey, lemon juice and water in it.
- Warm this mixture and drink it 3 to 4 times a day.
- You can also chew 5 to 6 small onions before going to bed.
4.) Ginger to Clear Chest Congestion Naturally
Ginger helps to clear chest congestion due to its anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting properties. Ginger contains polyphenols which helps to inhibit the secretion of mucus.
Steps to Use Ginger to Get Rid of Chest Congestion Fast:
- Heat a cup of water with 1 tbsp of freshly chopped raw ginger pieces. Cover it for 5 minutes.
- Strain the solution and add a little honey in it. Drink this tea up to 3 cups daily.
- You can also chew small ginger pieces throughout the day to treat chest congestion.
5.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Chest Congestion Naturally
Turmeric contains an active compound which is called curcumin that helps to eliminate the mucus and gives instant relief from chest congestion. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that helps to deal with pain, cough and other symptoms of chest congestion.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Prevent Chest Congestion Fast:
- Heat a glass of water and add a pinch of turmeric powder in it.
- Gargle with this mixture few times a day.
- Another method is you can use turmeric powder with apple cider vinegar.
- Mix 3 tbsp of turmeric powder and apple cider vinegar and consume it 2 times daily.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Clear Chest Congestion
Apple cider vinegar is an effective remedy to clear chest congestion. It also helps to dissolve the mucus in the chest, thus it will help you to breathe better. Apple cider vinegar also boosts your immune system which helps to prevent chest congestion.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Chest Congestion:
- Heat a cup of water and add 2 tbsp of organic raw apple cider vinegar in it.
- Then add 1 tsp of raw honey in it.
- Drink it 2 to 3 times a day for a week for quick relief from chest congestion.
7.) Steam to Clear Chest Congestion Fast
Inhaling steam is very effective to get instant relief from chest congestion. As the steam’s heat and moisture help to dissolve the mucus.
Steps to Use Steam to Treat Chest Congestion:
- Heat a bowl of water.
- Add a few drops of peppermint essential oil or eucalyptus in it.
- Place your face over the bowl and cover your head with a towel.
- Inhale the steam as much as you can and breathe properly and deeply.
8.) Salt Water to Clear Chest Congestion Fast
Gargling with salt water is an effective way to treat chest congestion. Salts help to remove the mucus from the respiratory tract while the hot water reduces the irritation in the throat.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Cure Chest Congestion:
- Warm a glass of water and add 1 tsp of salt in it.
- Gargle with this salt water 2 to 3 times daily until you get relief from chest congestion.
9.) Lemon to Treat Chest Congestion Fast & Naturally
Lemon is a natural remedy to treat chest congestion. Lemon contains citric acid which reduces the build-up of mucus. Also, vitamin C in lemon helps to boost your immune system.
Steps to Use Lemon to Prevent Chest Congestion:
- Warm a glass of water and add 1 tbsp of lemon juice and a little honey in it.
- Drink this solution several times daily until the chest congestion clears.
10.) Honey to Clear Chest Congestion Fast
Honey is also a good remedy to treat chest congestion as it dissolves the mucus. It helps to remove mucus easily from the respiratory tract. It has antiviral and antibacterial properties to fight against infection.
Steps to Use Honey to Get Rid of Chest Congestion:
- Consume 1 tsp of raw honey or you can add warm water in it then drink it.
- This will eliminate congestion for several hours.
- An alternate method, mix enough honey to half tsp of powdered black pepper to make a paste. Eat this paste 3 to 4 times daily until you get relief from the chest congestion.
- Drinking lots of fluids helps to keep yourself hydrated. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcohol to get relief from chest congestion.
- Keep your surroundings clean from dust and bacteria that can cause a buildup of mucus.
- Get enough sleep to keep your body strong to fight against the infection.
- Eat vitamin rich fruits and vegetables. Avoid foods that can cause congestion such as refined foods, frozen foods, fried foods, dairy products and rice.
- Use a humidifier that can help to open your nasal passages.
- Drink one to two cups of strong black coffee regularly. You can also consume green tea or herbal tea on a regular basis.
- Drinking chicken soup can help to relieve chest congestion as it reduces inflammation in the chest.