After writing, home remedies for earache, how to remove ear wax?, how to unplug ears?, we are now writing the best remedies to get rid of an ear infection or cure an ear infection. Ear infection is a very common problem faced. It is caused by the actions of bacteria or virus in the middle of the ear. It hurts and is quite irritating as well. Ear infection is more common in children and babies. It is also known as ‘Otitis Media’ or chronic ear infection.
In this article, we are explaining the best remedies to get rid of an ear infection or cure an ear infection. Ear infection is a very common problem, which is not generally diagnosed by people as they mistake it with ear pain. In fact, it is one of the reasons of ear pain. Mistaking it with other problems, leads to improper treatment. Go through the article to know about the remedies used to cure ear infection and more about it.
Cause of Ear Infection:
- Accumulation of wax
- Food allergies
- Environmental allergies
- Fetal alcohol syndrome
- Upper respiratory infection
- Nutritional deficiency
- Internal injury
Methods to Cure an Ear Infection:
It is important to consult a doctor, when you see the symptoms of ear infection and ear pain is there for around a week. But, to get immediate relief from the pain, you can try some of the remedies in this article to cure an ear infection.
1.) Garlic to Cure an Ear Infection
Garlic, because of its anti-microbial properties, is great to get rid of an ear infection. It is great at combating pain. You can directly have 2-3 garlic cloves. Or can heat 2-3 garlic cloves in some mustard oil and use it as an ear drop after straining it. There is one more way to use it.
- Take three garlic cloves and boil them in water. Now crush the garlic and add some salt to it.
- Take a clean cotton cloth and keep the crushed garlic in that. Tie it tightly and place it on the ear.
2.) Salt to Cure an Ear Infection
Salt is the most easily available remedy for curing any of the problems. It is equally important with an ear infection as well. What you have to do is prepare a tiny heat bag using salt. And, for the purpose:
- Take a cup of salt and heat it doe a few minutes. You can also use the microwave for the purpose.
- Now, take a clean cloth and put the salt in that cloth. Tie it tightly and place it on the ear for around 10 minutes. Use it daily and you will see the difference.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure an Ear Infection
Apple cider vinegar is the richest element of all. It has been used for curing most of the problems. It is very helpful to get rid of an ear infection as well. What you have to do is:
- Take one part of apple cider vinegar. Mix it with equal amount of alcohol. Now soak a cotton ball in it.
- Now put that cotton ball in your ear and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Now lay down on the other side so that the solution is properly utilized. After that, dry your ear.
4.) Mango Leaves to Cure an Ear Infection
Mango leaves are very efficient in curing the earache caused by the infection. You have to extract the juice from the mango leaves and use it as ear drops.
- Take some mango leave sand crush them well to extract the juice. Now take the extracted juice and heat it.
- Use a dropper to put the drops in the ear. Two drops will be sufficient. You will see the difference.
5.) Onion to Cure an Ear Infection
Onions are also great to get rid of an ear infection. You do not have to put much efforts to utilize the virtues of the onion. Follow the steps:
- Take and onion and chop it well. Now heat it in the microwave for not more than two minutes.
- Take it out and allow it to cool for some time. Now extract the juice and put two drops in the ear.
6.) Tea Tree Oil to Cure an Ear Infection
Tea tree toil has the properties of mid antibacterial and thus it is great to get rid of an ear infection. You have to use it with different oils to make an ear drops.
- Take three drops of teat tree oil and mix it in 2 tbsp of olive oil. Also add 1 tsp of each colloidal silver and apple cider vinegar.
- Now lay down on the opposite of the affected ear and put two drops of above prepared solution with the help of a dropper.
- Now, allow it to sit for 5 minutes. Turn on the other side to remove the solution.
7.) Basil to Cure an Ear Infection
Basil leaves are very rich in various properties and thus are very useful at treating many problems. It is equally efficient to cure an ear infection. You can crush a handful of basil leaves and apply the extracted juice on the infected ear. What else you can do is prepare a mixture using basil juice and coconut oil.
- Take some basil leaves juice and coconut oil. Mix them well to make a fine solution.
- Now apply the solution around the infected area, both internally and externally. Repeat it twice a day.
8.) Olive Oil to Cure an Ear Infection
Generally, wax present in the ear canal catches bacteria and fungi that further lead to ear infection. They also block the Eustachian tubes. Olive is a perfect solution to clear the blockage naturally. Simply put few drop of warm olive oil in the affected ear. This will cause the wax to become soft that you can remove after using cotton tipped swabs. Don’t put the swab deep in the ear as it can harm the ear drums. In place of olive oil, you can also use mustard oil. Heat some olive oil or mustard oil. Now put two drops in the ear. When it gets soften, remove the wax using a wax.
9.) Warm Compress The Area
It is very necessary to apply heat as soon as you get the infected ear. This will relieve some pain and also limits the microorganism infestation. You can press a hot water bottle or a heating pad against the ear to get rid of an ear infection. It is one of the best home remedies for ear infection. Alternatively, soak a clean cotton cloth in warm water and wring out the excess water. Now, place the cloth on the infected ear. Make sure to not apply the warm compress to the ear for a long period of time as it may be harmful. Application of warm compress should not more than five minutes continuously. Remove the heat for some time and then follow the same procedure.
10.) Mullein Drops to Cure an Ear Infection
Mullein Drops are very efficient to get rid of ear infection. It is a wild flower pant used for various purposes. Take half cup of water and boil it. Put some mullein flower in the boiling water. Allow it to cool and then add 1 tbsp of mullein tea and same amount of olive oil to it. Put one drop of prepared mixture in the ear. You can also buy it from the market if you do not wish to prepare it.
11.) Breast Milk to Get Rid of an Ear Infection Fast
Breast milk has natural antibodies capable of accelerating the healing process of any kind of ear infection. It will alleviate discomfort and swelling of ear fast. Breast milk can help to get rid of an ear infection within two days. This remedy is beneficial for both kids and adults. Put two or three drops of breast milk in the infected ear. Repeat the process after few hours as required. Breast milk also can be used to treat minor cuts, eye infections, and minor burns. Make a note that this will work for an only mild ear infection. If you are not getting any sign of improvement then head to alternatives.
12.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Get Rid of Ear Infection
This is one of the most effective home remedies to get rid of ear infection. It is an excellent choice to get rid of earache and infection caused by earwax build up. The anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of hydrogen peroxide make it a wonderful remedy for ear infection. It is well known for its ability to degrade earwax. Follow the steps given below to treat ear infection.
- Mix equal amounts of hot water and hydrogen peroxide solution.
- Lie down in a comfortable position. Your infected area should be facing upward.
- Put a few drops of this solution in your infected ear.
- Stay in this position for the next 15 minutes.
- Now, clean your ear.
- Repeat this method on a daily basis to completely heal the infection.
13.) Coconut Oil to Treat Ear Infection
This is one of the best home remedies to treat ear infection. Coconut oil contains liposomal lauric acids which are known for its anti-microbial properties. These properties help to get rid of ear infection. It also contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it an excellent choice for ear infection. Follow the steps given below to get rid of ear infection.
- Use a dropper to put 3 to 4 drops of coconut oil in your infected ear.
- Open and close your jaw few times so that the oil reaches the corner of your ears.
- Close your ear holes with a cotton ball so that the oil does not come out of the ear.
- Leave it for atleast 20 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment twice a day to get rid of ear infection completely.
14.) Castor Oil to Get Rid of Ear Infection
This is one of the wonderful remedies to treat ear infection. What makes it effective is the presence of anti-microbial properties in it. This oil kills the bacteria and fungi that are responsible for causing ear infection. Castor oil soothes the internal skin of the ear and dissolves the earwax. It also gives quick relief from pain. Follow the steps given below to treat ear infection.
- Warm up a bowl of castor oil.
- Use a ear dropper to pour 2 to 3 drops of castor oil in your infected ear.
- Your ear should face in the upward direction.
- Put a cotton ball in your ear and sleep in this position.
- Use a cotton bud to clean the ear in the morning.
- Repeat this treatment for about one week to treat infected area.
15.) Echinacea to Get Rid of Ear Infection
This is one of the wonderful home remedies to get rid of ear infection. Echinacea is known for strengthening the immune system of the body. The anti-microbial properties of Echinacea help to kill the microbes that are responsible for causing ear infection. It helps to treat ear infection and gives quick relief from ear pain. All you need to do is take 300mg of Echinacea on a regular basis to get rid of ear infection. You can either take in the form of a tablet or mix it in a glass of water. For young children only 150mg of Echinacea is enough. You should always consult a doctor before giving Echinacea to young children. Take Echinacea 3 times a week for desired results.
16.) Rubbing Alcohol to Treat Ear Infection
This is one of the most effective home remedies to treat ear infection. The disinfectant properties of rubbing alcohol kill the microbes that are responsible for causing ear infection. It also dries up the water in the ear that is responsible for causing ear pain. It is an excellent solution for swimmer’s ear. Follow the steps given below to get desired results.
- Use a cotton ball or dropper to pour a few drops of rubbing alcohol in the infected ear.
- Keep the infected area in the upward direction and stay in this position for atleast 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this atleast 3 times a day to get best results.
Note: If you have a burning sensation after putting rubbing alcohol then immediately consult your doctor.
17.) Sweet Oil for Ear Infection
This is one of the most effective remedies to get rid of ear infection. One of the main reasons behind ear infection is the earwax. The Eustachian tubes are blocked by the earwax. This can lead to ear pain. Sweet oil dissolves the earwax that is responsible for the blockage. Follow the steps given below to get rid of ear infection and pain.
- Warm up a bowl of sweet oil.
- Lie down in a comfortable position. You ear should face the upward direction.
- Use a dropper to put 3 to 4 drops of sweet oil in the infected ear.
- Stay in this same position for the next 20 minutes.
- Use sterilized cotton to clean out the wax and dirt from the ear.
- Repeat this method after every few hours to get rid of ear infection and prevent pain.
18.) Radish to Get Rid of Ear Infection
This is one of the excellent home remedies to get rid of ear infection. The therapeutic properties of radish help to relieve many problems such as dehydration, constipation and not to forget ear infection. Follow the steps given below to treat ear infection.
- Take 2 tablespoons of mustard oil in a bowl.
- Add small pieces of radish in it.
- Heat this oil on the stove for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the radish pieces from the oil and store the oil in a jar bottle.
- Use a dropper to pour 2 to 3 drops of oil in your infected ear.
- Repeat this method 2 to 3 times a day to get relief from pain.
19.) Oregano Oil to Cure Ear Infection
This is one of the best remedies to cure ear infection. The anti-bacterial properties present in oregano oil helps to reduce the inflammation, swelling and pain that is caused by ear infection. All you need to do is apply oregano oil on the outside area of the ear and on the back. Leave it on the ear and back for about 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat this method in every few hours to get rid of ear infection completely.
Note: Do not put oregano oil inside the ear and do not use oregano oil if you are on blood thinning medications.
20.) Foods to Eat in Ear Infection
Consume wild caught fish because it contains omega 3 fats that help to reduce inflammation. Eat fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C helps to strengthen the immune system. Drink plenty of water to clear mucus. Eat lean proteins to strengthen your immune system.
21.) Foods to Avoid in Ear Infection
Avoid eating sugar as it reduces the immune functioning. Don’t eat processed foods as they have chemical and dyes which can make your condition worse. Avoid pasteurized cow dairy products as it can worsen the infection.
22.) Ginger to Get Rid of Ear Infection
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of ear infection. The anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties in ginger help to treat ear infections. All you need to do is extract the juice of ginger. Drop 2 to 3 drops of ginger juice in your infected area. Repeat this treatment 2 to 3 times a day to cure ear infection.
Tips to Prevent Ear Infection
- Avoid smoking and drinking to prevent ear infection.
- Drink lots of water daily to prevent ear infection.
- Apply mineral oil in your ear before swimming.
- Avoid dairy products to prevent ear infection.
- Consume fresh green leafy vegetables.