Is it difficult for you to speak properly? Well, it is a very common problem if you can’t talk properly and you are unable to swallow food due to a painful throat. Hence, it is really very important to cure a sore throat, as soon as you get this problem. There are several factors that may lead to the condition of a sore throat, but it can be treated easily at home by using several natural treatments. If your condition is serious, then consult a doctor and use these natural remedies to cure a sore throat.
What is a Sore Throat?
A sore throat involves itchiness, irritation, and pain. It is very difficult to swallow something if you have a sore throat. If sore throat takes more than a week to cure. Then, it is really very important to take an assistance of a doctor. Also, if it is accompanied by the symptoms like rash, fever, difficulty in breathing, and joint pain then it is really important to consult a doctor as soon as possible.
Who Suffers from the Problem of Sore Throat?
Though, a sore throat may affect the person of any age. But, here is the list of the people who have the higher risk of developing the problem of a sore throat.
- People with allergies
- People with poor immunity system
Causes of Sore Throat:
There are several factors that may lead to the problem of a sore throat. Well, few causes of a sore throat are given below:
- Bacterial, Viral and Fungal Infections
- Acid Reflux
- Environmental factors may also lead to the condition of a sore throat. It includes pollutants, noises or the presence of dry air in the environment.
- Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) may also lead to the problem of a sore throat.
Symptoms of Sore Throat:
- Difficulty in breathing properly
- Joint pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Experiencing ear ache
- Suffering from fever more than 101°F
- Having bloody mucus
- Experiencing a lump in the throat
- Experiencing hoarse more than two weeks
- Painful and itching sensation in the throat
- Inflammation in the throat
Home Remedies to Cure Sore Throat:
Well here are few home remedies that you may follow to cure sore throat.
1.) Lemon Juice to Cure Sore Throat
Fresh lemon juice helps in removing mucus from the throat. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Make hot lemonade by adding fresh half lemon juice in hot water. Also, add one teaspoon of honey in it.
- Mix it well and drink it slowly.
- Another alternate way is to gargle with lemon juice diluted with warm water.
- You may also take half lemon slice and sprinkle pepper and salt over it. Lick it to get relief from a sore throat.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Sore Throat
The anti-bacterial properties present inside apple cider vinegar makes it the most effective remedy to cure a sore throat. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Add one tablespoon of honey in one tablespoon of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Mix these ingredients well and add warm water to it.
- Drink this solution slowly. Use this remedy 2-3 times a day to get relief from pain and inflammation.
- You may also gargle with the apple cider vinegar solution. Take one cup of warm water and mix one tablespoon of salt in one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
3.) Saline to Cure Sore Throat
Salt water helps in drawing out the mucous membrane. It even acts as a great antiseptic agent. It can also reduce inflammation and provide instant relief in a sore throat. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take one glass of warm water and add one and a half teaspoon of salt in it. You may also add little amount of honey in this solution if you don’t like the salty taste.
- Gargle with this solution, but don’t swallow it.
- Apply this remedy four times a day.
4.) Cinnamon to Cure Sore Throat
Cinnamon can treat a sore throat caused due to the common cold. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take a glass of warm water and add one teaspoon of black pepper and cinnamon powder in it. Strain it, and gargle with this solution.
- Another alternate way is to mix one teaspoon of honey with a few drops of cinnamon oil. Mix it well and eat this mixture two times a day to get relief in a sore throat.
5.) Garlic to Cure Sore Throat
Garlic contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties that make it the effective remedy to cure a sore throat. It also contains various medicinal properties that can treat a sore throat easily. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Start eating garlic on a regular basis to release the chemical from your body known as allicin. All this helps in killing the bacteria causing a sore throat.
- You may also gargle with garlic oil. For this, just add a few drops of garlic oil to one-fourth cup of water.
6.) Drink Slippery Elm to Cure Sore Throat
Slippery elm can treat a sore throat easily as it contains a gel-like substance known as mucilage that coats the throat with a protective shield. It even eases pain and reduces inflammation and soreness in the throat. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take two cups of boiling water and add one teaspoon of slippery elm in it.
- Steep it for 5 minutes and then strain it.
- Drink this solution slowly on a regular basis to cure a sore throat.
7.) Honey to Cure Sore Throat
Honey contains amazing antibacterial properties that not only speed up the healing process, but it can fight infection easily. It can even reduce the swelling by drawing out the water from the inflamed tissues. It also helps get rid of cough as well. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take one cup of hot water and add one tablespoon of honey in it. Drink this solution several times in a day to treat a sore throat. You may also add honey in your herbal it. Consume it on a regular basis.
- Also, don’t forget to eat one tablespoon of honey before going to bed as this can provide a great soothing effect on the sore throat.
8.) Turmeric Powder to Cure Sore Throat
Turmeric contains various properties like antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antifungal properties. It is a great home remedy that can cure a sore throat easily. Use turmeric in different ways to cure a sore throat. Here are the various ways given below, that you must follow on a regular basis to cure the a sore throat.
- Take one glass of warm water and add one-fourth teaspoon of turmeric powder in it. Drink this solution every morning on an empty stomach. Apply this remedy 4-5 times in a day to cure a sore throat.
- The other alternate way is to add one teaspoon of ground pepper in one teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- Now, add this mixture to a glass of warm milk and consume it regularly before going to bed.
9.) Marshmallow Root Tea to Cure Sore Throat
Marshmallow root contains a substance known as mucilage in it. This substance provides a soothing effect on the sore throat. It can a sore throat along with common cold easily. But, don’t use this remedy if you are pregnant or diabetic. To prepare this herbal tea, follow these steps:
- Take one cup of boiling water and add one tablespoon of dried marshmallow to it.
- Steep it for one hour.
- Strain it, and add little amount of honey to it.
- Drink this herbal tea, at least, three times in a day.
10.) Fenugreek Seeds Solution to Cure Sore Throat
Fenugreek seeds contain the mucus-dissolving property. It helps a lot in providing instant relief in a sore throat. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take six cups of water and add two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in it.
- Boil this solution for half an hour and let it get cool up to the room temperature. After this, just strain this solution.
- Gargle using this solution 3-4 times in a day to cure a sore throat.
Few Other Treatments for Curing a Sore Throat:
Here are few other treatments that you may use to treat a sore throat. Follow them sincerely for curing a sore throat.
- Give up smoking as it is a leading cause of getting a sore throat.
- Practice good hygiene as a sore throat may also get caused due to viral and bacterial infections.
- Use antibiotics if the reason of getting a sore throat is a bacterial infection.
- Avoid eating foods and drinks that are extremely hot as they may cause a lot of pain in your throat.
- Also prefer eating cool foods and drinks.
- Practice regular gargling with a mouthwash and saline water to reduce swelling in the throat.
- If you have the fever, then start drinking a lot of fluids.