The following article will give you an insight about remedies to deal with panic attacks. Panic attacks are the sudden intense fear or feeling of terror. These attacks are misunderstood as heart attacks or a nervous breakdown. This is so because both of them has similar symptoms such as severe anxiety, palpitations, chest pain and etc. The attack can strike anytime, while sleeping, driving, and walking or any other time. The duration of the panic arrest can be from a few minutes to hours. However, it is not harmful and does not cause physical harm. Read more, to know about types, causes, and symptoms of panic attacks.
Types of Panic Attacks:
1.) Expected Panic Attacks – Such attacks occur when a person is subjected to a situation of fear. For example, a person who has a phobia of water may experience panic attack while taking a bath or while swimming.
2.) Unexpected Panic Attacks – Such attacks occur without any clue and indication. The person may experience the attack anytime.
Symptoms of Panic Attacks:
- Chest pain
- Abdominal pain
- Problem while breathing
- No control on self
- Unpersonalisation (a thought of being alone)
- Tingling sensations
- Hot flashes
Causes of Panic Attack:
- A minor cardiac problem due to an incorrect enclosing of one of the heart’s valves.
- Low blood sugar level.
- Excessive use of stimulants such as alcohol, caffeine
- Medical withdrawal
- Unhealthy environment during childhood
- Fear from particular thing
- Severe tension
- Muscle spasm
Remedies to Deal with Panic Attacks:
- Remedies to Deal with Panic Attacks:
- 1.) Recognize the Symptoms to Deal with Panic Attacks
- 2.) Identify the Cause of Panic Attacks
- 3.) Relax your Self to Deal with Panic Attacks
- 4.) Exposure Therapy for Panic Attacks
- 5.) Get Necessary Changes in Your Lifestyle
- 6.) Herbal Treatments or Supplements
- 7.) Psychodynamic Treatment to Deal with Panic Attacks
- 8.) Don’t Hide the Problem
- 9.) Drugs and Medication to Deal with Panic Attacks
- 10.) Laughter is the Best Medicine
1.) Recognize the Symptoms to Deal with Panic Attacks
The basic way to deal with panic attacks is to identify the symptoms. Panic attacks are generally misunderstood as a heart problem or nervous breakdown or depression. So it’s better to recognize the onset of attacks. However, the symptoms may vary from person to person. But, still you can identify the panic attack by common symptoms.
2.) Identify the Cause of Panic Attacks
Once you have recognized the symptoms of panic attack, try to analyze the root causes of panic disorder. You can identify the causes by making a list of the situations when you experience panic attacks, time durations, and intensity of the attack. After identifying the causes, you can look for an ideal way to deal with the panic attacks.
3.) Relax your Self to Deal with Panic Attacks
Panic attacks are the result of stress, which gives way to fear. To deal with panic attacks, it is important to combat stress, remain calm and avoid over thinking. You can also follow stress management techniques in order to relieve the stress.
- Regular Exercise – Exercises such as aerobics, yoga, and deep breathing techniques are considered as stress relievers. Regular exercise releases tension, boost confidence and improves your mood.
- Antidepressants and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – These therapies, identify the root cause of panic attacks and work on to change the negative thought patterns and misinterpretations of a person, which leads to panic attacks.
4.) Exposure Therapy for Panic Attacks
Another remedy to deal with panic attacks is exposure therapy. In this therapy, the person is exposed to the situations, in which he sense the panic or fear but in a controlled and safe environment. The person learns various ways to confront the fear. While dealing with the fears the person discovers that nothing can harm him and gradually he loses the fear. Moreover, therapists work on overcoming the phobia among people, which gives way to panic attacks. For example, a person having a fear of height is subjected to such situations in which he learns to cope up with his phobia.
5.) Get Necessary Changes in Your Lifestyle
A lifestyle consists of factors such as what you think, what you do, what you eat, how much you take a rest and how much you work. After analyzing your lifestyle bring the needed changes. For example, think positive, keep yourself stress-free, and eat fresh green leafy vegetables, whole wheat’s, dairy products and foods enriched with protein such as meat, tofu and beans. Avoid stimulants such as alcohol, caffeine, smoking and etc. These stimulants speed up the risk of panic attacks. Moreover, give your body ideal rest of 7-8 hours.
6.) Herbal Treatments or Supplements
If you experience mild anxiety then you can opt for herbal treatments and supplements such as chamomile, valerian roots, supplements of magnesium, Omega-3 fatty acids, and gamma-amino butyric acid to deal with panic attacks. These supplements have shown prominent results in relieving the anxiety which is the main cause of panic attacks.
7.) Psychodynamic Treatment to Deal with Panic Attacks
In Talk therapy or psychodynamic treatment the patient and doctor work on revealing the emotional conflicts and unconscious behavior of the patient which gives way to fear. The aim of this therapy is to understand the psyche of the person and to examine unresolved conflicts and other causes which trigger panic attacks. After discussing the history of the person, the therapist designs a particular pattern of treatment to deal with the panic arrest of his client.
8.) Don’t Hide the Problem
The best way to deal with the panic attacks is, don’t hide your problem from others. People often don’t share such problems with their close ones and end up with all the frustrations, problems, and fear accumulated in their minds which give way to heart problem as well. So it is better to share your problem with others, they might come with the easy solution to deal with the panic attack. Moreover, sharing decreases the fear and you are at low risk of getting panic attacks.
9.) Drugs and Medication to Deal with Panic Attacks
Apart from above-listed remedies, you can also follow medicines. However, consult your doctor first.
- Pregabalin- The medicine is used to cure the anxiety which is a prime cause of panic arrest. Moreover, the medicine is anticonvulsant, which is used for epilepsy treatment.
- Clonazepam- This medicine is also used to treat panic attacks and epilepsy. However, it includes side effects so it better to use these medicines after a doctor’s suggestion.
10.) Laughter is the Best Medicine
Laughter is the best medicine to deal with panic attacks. Laughter relaxes the whole body, relieves stress and tension, boosts immune system, and releases endorphins- the natural chemicals in the body which arose happiness from within. Moreover, it improves the functioning of blood vessels and keeps anxiety and fear at the bay.