This article is about foods high in zinc. To keep your metabolism in a healthy condition, minerals play an important role. Zinc is one of the minerals that is required to build up proteins, enzymes and DNA in your body. Thus, the main function of zinc is to maintain the immune system. The supply of zinc in your body also acts as a neurotransmitter. Neurotransmitter helps the cells to communicate with the body. Though zinc is less known in comparison with iron, vitamins and other minerals. This fact does not lessen the importance of zinc to be consumed in less amount. When there is a deficiency of zinc in your body, you may suffer from hair loss, diarrhea, slow growth, skin and eye lesions and lack of immunity. But, over intake of zinc also has its side effects. That may include abdominal cramps, headache, vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite. Hence, the intake of zinc in proportion helps you to fight the infections and inflammation in your body. Thereby try to increase the intake of zinc in your daily diet to avoid deficiency. And, for that you will require to consume more of animal source food along with vegetables.
List of Foods High in Zinc (with benefits):
1.) Beef as a Food High in Zinc
Beef is counted among the most nutritious red meat foods. Also, it is one of the best sources of Vitamin B, zinc and iron. Beef provides protein to your body that has amino acids. While it contains both saturated and non saturated fat that is sometimes helpful in decreasing obesity, risk of cancer, diabetes and improves immunity.
Benefits of beef:
- Builds your bone and muscle.
- It helps you from not getting tired easily.
- It helps to heal any kind of wounds.
- Gives energy and strength.
2.) Lamb High in Zinc
Lamb is also counted among the sources of red meat. There is a minor difference between the word lamb and mutton you need to be aware of. The word lamb is used to describe the young sheep while mutton for the adult sheep. Thereby don’t get confused with the word lamb and mutton. It is high in protein, vitamin, iron and minerals. As a food high in zinc you can go for intake of 100 gram of lamb per serving 2 to 3 days a week.
Benefits of lamb:
- Easily absorbed in the body.
- Helps to form red blood cells.
- Good for body growth.
3.) Asparagus High in Zinc
Asparagus has the essential health benefits that are the best source of foods high in zinc. It contains vitamin C, Vitamin E and K, fiber folate, chromium. Asparagus symbolizes the best food of spring.
Benefits of Asparagus:
- It helps to transport glucose from body to the cells.
- Reduces the risk of cancer.
- It acts as a brain booster.
- The presence of antioxidants helps to reduce the process of aging.
- Increase in urination helps to flush out the excess amount of salt from the body.
4.) Pumpkin Seeds High in Zinc
Pumpkin seeds are often referred as the powerhouse of nutrients. The nutrients present is pumpkin seeds include protein, copper, magnesium and zinc. It is one of the plant seeds that provides protein to your body. You can opt for pumpkin seeds if you are allergic to meat products.
Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds:
- Increases the proportion of magnesium in the body.
- It helps in regulating your muscles.
- Balances the sugar level and blood pressure in the body.
- Balances the function of your nerves in the body.
5.) Mushrooms High in Zinc
Mushrooms are the best source of foods high in zinc. It is one product that is low in calories. And, mushroom is a good source of Vitamin D as well. If you are looking for any source of foods high in zinc, but less in calories then mushroom is the best option. Also, there are varieties of mushrooms for consumption purposes. A good amount of iron contains in Oyster mushrooms.
Benefits of Mushrooms:
- Decreases the risk of heart diseases.
- Helps to fight diabetes.
- Reduces the risk of cancer.
- The selenium present in mushrooms helps keep your immune system healthy.
6.) Lentils High in Zinc
Lentils works its best when you are trying out for some remedies for weight loss. The next is that lentils helps to keep your metabolism healthy. It contains protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. It is also one source of foods high in zinc that is low in calories.
Benefits of Lentils:
- It helps your digestive system.
- It helps to fight heart diseases.
- It stabilizes your blood sugar level.
- It increases energy in your body.
7.) Seafood High in Zinc
If you increase your intake of seafood in your diet, you can fight obesity. It is because seafood is high in protein while being low in cholesterol and fat. Seafood contains minerals, vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids. You can consume foods high in zinc in seafood like shrimps, oysters, lobsters and cod fish.
Benefits of Seafood:
- Improves eyesight.
- Improves texture of skin.
- Improves immunity.
- Helps to fight arthritis.
- Reduces the risk of Alzheimer.
- It helps to keep your heart healthy.
8.) Cashews High in Zinc
Cashews are counted among the nuts that have low fat and fiber. It contains minerals, vitamins, phosphorous, iron and antioxidants. Cashew nuts can be consumed in any form. It can be taken as a snack in between your meals or in the form of nut butter.
Benefits of Cashews:
- Reduces the risk of cardiovascular and heart diseases.
- It lowers down your blood pressure.
- It prevents from cancer.
- It’s good for hair growth and its texture.
- It helps to fight obesity.
- It keeps your gums and teeth healthy.
- It reduces the risk of the development of gallstones.
9.) Yogurt High in Zinc
Yogurt being one of the dairy products is filled with good health benefits. If you start adding yogurt into your daily diet, you will be able to maintain a healthy body. It contains protein, calcium, potassium, magnesium, Vitamin-B2 and Vitamin-B12. Yogurt is one of the foods high in zinc that contains the good bacteria necessary for a healthy body.
Benefits of Yogurt:
- It will help you in getting flat abs without going for a weight loss of extra fat.
- It will prevent you from high blood pressure.
- It will prevent you from cold.
- It improves your skin texture.
10.) Broccoli High in Zinc
If you are looking for a vegetable that is high in zinc, then opt for broccoli. Among the family of cruciferous vegetables, broccoli is one of them. It provides Vitamin K, Vitamin C, potassium, fiber and folic acid. Adding broccoli to your vegetable diet will certainly improve your health.
Benefits of Broccoli:
- Decreases the risk of heart disease.
- Reduces diabetes.
- Helps to fight obesity.