This article is about how to get over depression. Feeling depressed can make you feel low and helpless. Most of the people don’t even get to know about this condition initially. You should pay attention to the warning signs to know what trigger the depression symptoms in you.
Depression is not a disorder which you can not treat by yourself. More than 15 million Americans suffer with depression every year. Out of which many people take antidepressant drugs. Though antidepressants are quite helpful to those with moderate to severe depression, but usually they are less effective for those with mild depression.
Along with professional treatment, there’s a lot of things you can do on your own to fight depression naturally. Below are some of the ways to get rid of depression safely and effectively.
Remedies to Get Over Depression Naturally
1.) Eat Healthy for a Healthy Mind
Eating a healthy diet is necessary for a healthy body and mind. There are certain foods which can help with serotonin. Serotonin is a chemical present in the brain, which contributes to “ being happy” feeling. So, an increase in the level of serotonin will help uplift your mood. Some foods work as a serotonin enhancers, helping to increase those levels naturally. Such food include:
- Flaxseed oil
- Fish oil, rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Sour cherries
2.) Coffee to Get Over Depression
Some of you might be drinking several cups of coffee daily to lower the depression. It is because coffee contains caffeine, which helps to get over depression quicker. But, it helps only for a shorter period. You will crash down to the same condition again. This is because caffeine affects the serotonin level in your brain. A low serotonin level may also trigger the depressed mood. So, try to avoid or reduce the intake of coffee. Avoid using coffee as a way to get rid of depression.
3.) Switch from Coffee to Green Tea
Although, green tea also contains some caffeine like coffee, but it also has one other very important constituent, i.e L-theanine. L-theanine functions synergistically with caffeine to uplift mood in such manner that you don’t get the same crash-effect like coffee. It has its psychoactive qualities due to its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier. Green tea has shown significant result to reduce stress as well as give a relaxing effect.
- Every morning, Start your day with a cup of green tea.
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 1 tea bag of green tea in it.
- Let it infuse for a couple of minutes.
- Sit it slowly afterwards.
- Drink 2-3 cups of green tea daily for better results.
4.) Increase the Intake of Vitamin B to Fight Depression
Vitamin B (mainly B-12, but others also) has an important role to play in the brain. It helps produce chemicals which mainly impact mood (serotonin, dopamine, and epinephrine.) If you lack of all this important Vitamins, you may be underfeeding your mind and body as well. Aged people with digestive issues, and other people who are vegetarians mainly lack of B-Vitamins as it is found in many meats. Apart from meat, you can take supplements or can include more B Bitamin rich food in your daily diet. Such food include:
- 4 oz. Serving of turkey 32% DV
- 1 oz. Serving of cheese (swiss) 16% DV
- 1 cup cooked spinach 22% DV
- 1 cup raw bell pepper 13.50% DV
- 3 oz. Serving of fish (Mackerel) 269% DV
- 3 oz. Serving of shellfish 1401% DV
- DV means daily value.
- Above suggestion is based on 2,000 calories a day diet.
- The percentage value suggests how much of a recommended amount of something you will get. For example, suppose milk had 30% DV for calcium, then you will get 30% of the total calcium required for the day.
5.) Load up on pumpkin seeds to Fight Depression
Pumpkin seeds include healthy fats and magnesium, both of which are helpful to lighten your mood. Pumpkin seeds also has L-tryptophan, an amino acid which is responsible for the production of serotonin in your brain.
- Eat 1 cup of pumpkin seeds each day.
- You can sprinkle a bit of salt to it for an added taste.
6.) Include Magnesium to Get Over Depression Naturally
Never underestimate the power of Magnesium. Magnesium is the 4th most plentiful mineral in the body which is supplemented through diet. It is very essential for more than 300 enzyme systems which maintain a wide range of biomechanical functions in the body. Without magnesium the body can’t produce energy, it can’t synthesize DNA or RNA, or regulate the heartbeats, also the chemicals in the brain won’t be stable. Our present diets most of the times nix foods which have magnesium, and stress also lowers it. It is impossible for any living organism to produce it. So, it is very important to have magnesium rich diet. Some of the foods which contain magnesium are:
- One cup of soy milk: 15% DV
- Half cup of cooked black beans: 15% DV
- A medium banana: 8% DV
- Half cup of boiled spinach: 20% DV
- One ounce of dry roasted almonds or cashews: 20% DV
7.) Meditation to Get Rid of Depression
Meditation is one of the most safe, inexpensive and effective ways to get over depression naturally. It may take time to practice and see result of it, but if done consistently and properly, you will not only overcome depression but may be able to tackle many other mental and physical problems. You need to have patience in order to meditate. You can start small like 2-3 minutes of meditation a day-and can increase the duration from there.
- Look for a quiet place to meditate where no one will disturb you.
- Switch off your phone, shut the door as as no one disturb you by entering or calling your.
- Now, regulate your breathing, and try to let go of your thoughts.
- Feel light and relax, don’t think hard about anything. If something comes into your head, acknowledge it, and let it pass.
- This is just the basic start to meditating, there are a lot of different ways you can go do it.
- Do this every day and try to do it at the same place and the same time.
8.) Chamomile Tea for Depression Treatment
Depression goes hand in hand with your sleeping difficulties. It makes you feel that you can’t get up of bed during the day and can’t even fall asleep at night either. In such condition chamomile tea can be quite beneficial to fight depression. Chamomile has a special flavonoid which is responsible for its relaxing properties.
- Take 1 cup of water and boil it.
- Put about 2 tsp of dried chamomile or 1 tea bag of chamomile in it.
- Leave it on to steep for 5 minutes.
- In case of a tea bag, let it steep for 15 minutes.
- Later, strain and add a small amount of milk and honey in it.
- Stir it well and drink 30 minutes before going to bed.
9.) Exercise to Get Over Depression
Everyone knows about the benefits of exercising, but no one takes it seriously. Exercise is fundamental to your mood. Exercising doesn’t mean going hard, even just a 15 minute daily walk through your neighborhood can create wonders. Exercise helps release a chemical called endorphins in the brain, which make us feel good and happy. So, make a routine of doing some physical activity daily and that too in open. Jog, walk or just take your pet out for a walk.
10.) Get Enough Sleep to Overcome Depression
Depression can make it hard for you to get enough sleep. Lack of sleep can make make your condition worse. So, it is very necessary to take an adequate amount of sleep.
- Make some changes to your lifestyle.
- Try to sleep and wake up at the same time daily.
- Try not to nap a lot in daytime.
- Avoid all the distraction such as computer, laptop, tv and especially your phone.
- After some time, you may notice improvement in your sleeping.