After writing, how to get rid of a cough?, we are now writing how to get rid of a cold naturally? There are more than 100 viruses which lead cold. However, rhinovirus is considered as the main culprit of cold and cough. Cold is a common problem among every age group, especially during climatic change. This condition is contagious as it spreads from one person to other while sneezing, talking, by hand-to-hand contact and sharing contaminated things like toys, utensils and etc. The virus enters in the body through nose, eyes or mouth. However, it is not a severe condition. It can a be cured without seeing your doctor as well. All you have to do is follow the remedies which are given below. Read more, to know about home remedies to get rid of a cold naturally.
Symptoms of Cold:
- Stuffy or a runny nose
- Sore or itchy throat
- Watery eyes
- Body ache
Remedies to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally:
1.) Ginger to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
The antiviral, anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties present in ginger makes it an ideal remedy for cold. It is the most common ingredient found in every kitchen, therefore, it is easy to access and use.
How to Use Ginger to Cure Cold?
- To treat the cold eat a slice of raw ginger.
- Since raw ginger can lead little burning sensation in the throat, so you can drink ginger tea also.
- To make the drink more effective, you can add lime juice and honey in the tea.
- Alternatively, make a paste of one-half teaspoon of salt, clove and ginger and consume it 2 times a day.
- If you experience a runny nose, then consume a mixture of jaggery, clarified butter and ginger powder (dry). Have this mixture early in the morning with empty stomach.
- Follow any of the above remedies regularly until you get satisfactory results.
2.) Honey to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
Honey does not only adds sweetness in fact it can also cure a cold and cough. The enzymes and combination of nutrients present in the honey soothe the irritated throat and kills viruses and bacteria that gives way to cold.
How to Honey to Treat Cold at Home?
- The easiest way to use honey is simply, swallow a spoon of honey or mix it in the warm milk and drink it.
- A mixture of 2 teaspoons of honey and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice will help you to get rid of the cold naturally.
- For effective results, consume this drink after every 2 hours.
3.) Garlic to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
The odor or taste of the garlic may be distinct, but it can be used to treat the cold and it’s symptoms. Garlic is packed with antiviral and antibacterial properties that help you to get rid of the cold at home. Moreover, it keeps the immune system healthy, opens the respiratory passages which are blocked during cold, also it clean the stomach.
How to use Garlic to Prevent Cold?
- Make a mixture of 1 teaspoon of honey, half teaspoon of cayenne pepper and crushed garlic clove. Consume this mixture regularly.
- Alternatively, in a cup of boiled water add 4-5 chopped garlic cloves and 1 teaspoon of honey. Consume this drink 2-3 times a day.
- Though the taste of garlic is not good but the easiest way to use garlic is, eat raw garlic and add it in, while making the food.
- Also, you can add garlic oil in your juice and food.
- Chewing garlic early in the morning with the empty stomach is beneficial for the stomach as well.
4.) Spice Tea to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
Spice tea can also be used to treat cold. The ingredients present in the tea makes it a perfect candidate in the list of home remedies for cold.
How to Relief Cold with Spice Tea?
- Boil a cup of water.
- Meanwhile, grind 1 tablespoon of cumin, fennel fenugreek seeds and quarter cup of coriander seeds. Mix all the powders thoroughly.
- Add this powder along with half teaspoon of rock candy in the boiling water.
- Let it steep for 3-4 minutes.
- Then add 2 tablespoons of milk in It.
- Let it steep for another few minutes.
- Strain the drink and sip.
- Don’t cool it otherwise, it won’t affect as it supposed to be.
- Drink the spice tea regularly until the symptoms of cold vanishes away.
5.) Mullein Tea to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
Another tea which is advantageous during cold and cough is mullein’s tea. The antibacterial properties present in the herb make it effective for treating the infections. Also, its expectorant properties help you to get rid of the chest congestion, which generally supports cold.
How to Make Mullein Tea?
- In a cup of water place a strainer with dried herbs of mullein.
- Boil the solution for 8-10 minutes.
- To add sweetness, you can add honey to the drink.
6.) Cinnamon to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
Another kitchen ingredient which can help you to beat the cold and its symptoms is cinnamon. It soothes the throat and cures a sore throat as well.
How to Use Cinnamon to Treat Cold Naturally?
- In a glass of boiling water, add powdered cinnamon and 2 cloves.
- Let the solution boil for 20 minutes.
- Strain the solution and a half teaspoon of honey.
- Honey does not only add the sweetness in the drink but also make the drink more effective.
- Consume the drink while it is warm
- For encouraging results consume this drink regularly 2 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can consume cinnamon oil with honey.
7.) Milk to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
Milk is not only good for strong bones rather it also helps to treat the symptoms of the cold like a headache, body ache also. A glass of warm milk can give you relief from a sore throat. For fruitful results add turmeric and ginger powder in the milk. It is one of the best remedies to treat cold without medicines.
How to Use Milk to Treat Cold?
- In a glass of boiled milk add half teaspoon of turmeric and ginger powder.
- Leave the milk and let it cool at room temperature.
- Drink the milk 2 times a day and before hitting the sack.
8.) Pepper to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
Pepper is one of the common spice found in every household. The spice not only adds the flavor to the dish but also helps to get rid of the cold and its symptoms naturally. A component found in pepper which is known as capsaicin helps to relieve the congestion.
How to Use Pepper to Cure Cold at Home?
- For a runny nose, add pepper powder in your meals.
- Also, you can gargle with pepper and warm water.
- Or by just smelling the spice also you will get a similar benefit.
9.) Chicken Soup to Get Rid of a Cold
Chicken soup is packed with the nutrients and vitamins that are essential for treating cold and cough symptoms. Moreover, the antioxidants present in the chicken soup speeds up the treatment and keeps the immune system healthy. It also restores the strength in the body which is generally lost during the cold. Prepare a chicken soup at home with organic vegetables, herbs, and chicken.
10.) Steam to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
Apart from using the above remedies for getting rid of the cold at home, you can also inhale the steam for fruitful results. It will aid congestion, runny nose and other symptoms of cold.
How to Take a Steam?
- In a big bowl add warm water, peppermint and eucalyptus oil.
- Cover your head and bowl with a towel properly.
- Inhale the steam for 5-7 minutes.
- Regular steam will speed up the healing process.
11.) Bath Salt to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
Bath salt is a combination of Epsom salt and essential oils such as peppermint, lavender, and eucalyptus. All these essential oils have respective benefits. And when they are mixed together it can work as a wonder.
How to Take a Bath Salt?
- In a small dish mix all the essential oils mentioned above and Epsom salt.
- Then mix this solution into your bathing water. The water should be lukewarm.
- Take a bath with it.
- Repeat this 1-2 times a day to get rid of cold at home.
12.) Reddish to Get Rid of a Cold Naturally
You might not like reddish but trust us it is a wonderful remedy for cold. It is packed with minerals and vitamins. Moreover, it has antiseptic properties. All you have to do is eat 2-33 radish a day. People with the gastric problem can avoid this remedy.