After writing, how to get rid of a cough?, we are now writing how to get rid of a fever. Whenever the temperature of the body rises higher than the normal, it is known as a fever. Generally, you will hear that 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, or 37 degrees Celsius, is considered normal, but this set number does not apply globally to all. The normal body temperature is totally different for children than adults. And, it can even vary among individuals. As per the National Institutes of Health or NIH, a child suffers a fever when his/her body temperature is more than 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit, or 37.5 degrees Celsius. An adult has a fever when his or her body temperature exceeds 99 to 99.5 degrees F, or 37.2 to 37.5 degrees C.
Causes of a Fever
A fever is usually a symptom of some other condition or illness. A fever can also occur when your body is fighting against an infection, like the flu.
Additional causes for a fever are:
- Blood clots
- Urinary tract infections
- Autoimmune disorders
- Response to immunization in kids
- Ear infections
- Certain inflammatory diseases
- A sudden change in the weather.
- Unhygienic lifestyle
Symptoms of a Fever
A fever is a good thing and goes away itself within a few days. However, if a fever is making you feel too much uncomfortable, you can try some easy and simple home remedies to get rid of a fever and make you feel better.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of a Fever
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) to Get Rid of a Fever
Apple cider vinegar is an inexpensive and very effective remedy to reduce a fever. ACV helps lower a fever faster due to the acid present in it. This acid helps draw heat out of the skin. Also, ACV is a rich source of minerals, so it helps replenish minerals which get eliminated from the body because of a fever.
- Take ½ cup of apple cider vinegar and add it to lukewarm bath water.
- Soak yourself in this water for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- After 20 minutes you will start noticing improvement.
- Repeat the process again when the body temperature gets high.
- Alternatively, take 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp of honey and mix both in a glass of water.
- Drink this solution 2 or 3 times a day until condition improves.
2.) Mint to Get Rid of a Fever Naturally
Mint is known to have excellent cooling property. Such qualities of mint helps in keeping the internal system of the body cool. Thereby, it will reduce the temperature of the body. Mint also helps get rid of excess heat from the body.
- Take 1 tbsp of crushed mint leaves and add them to a cup of hot water.
- Leave it to steep for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then, strain the content and add some honey to it.
- Sip this soothing tea 3 or 4 times daily for a quick recovery from a fever.
3.) Cool Water to Get Rid of a Fever Fast and Naturally
This remedy has been used for centuries and is very promising. It is simple, easy and quite effective in lowering the body temperature. Here is the method to do it.
- Take a wash cloth and soak it in cool tap water.
- Squeeze out the excess water and sponge areas of your body, such as your feet, armpits, hands and groin, to reduce the body temperature.
- Alternatively, you can place a cold, damp washcloths on your forehead and on the back of your neck.
- Change the cloth piece at regular intervals (every few minutes).
- This remedy is very beneficial when dealing with a severe fever as it helps in keeping the temperature under control.
- You can even take a bath in lukewarm water to relax the body.
- Remember not to use too cold water because it may cause the internal temperature to increase more.
4.) Sandalwood to Get rid of a Fever
Sandalwood has excellent therapeutic and cooling properties. It can help effectively in lowering down the fever and inflammation. In fact, it will help cool and calm the complete body and mind. It will also help prevent headache which one of the common symptoms of a fever.
- Take ½ teaspoon of sandalwood powder and mix it with a little water to make a thick paste.
- Apply a thick layer of this paste on your forehead.
- Follow this a few times a day until your condition improves.
5.) Basil to Prevent a Fever
Basil is another effective herb for bringing down the body temperature. This herb is just as effective as various types of antibiotics available in the market. The healing properties of basil will help as a natural treatment for fever.
- Take 1 tsp of basil, ¼ tsp of pepper and mix both in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- Then, strain and drink this hot tea.
- Drink it daily 2 or 3 times until you recover completely.
6.) Egg White to Get Rid of Fever
You can use egg whites also to reduce the body temperature during a fever. Egg white works as a cool gel which can absorb heat. In less than an hour, egg white can draw the fever from the head to toe. Here is the method to do it.
- Break 2 or 3 eggs and separate the yolk.
- Beat the white portion for a few minutes.
- Take a paper towel or a thin handkerchief and soak it in the egg white.
- Keep the soaked cloth on the soles of your feet.
- Wear socks to keep the soaked cloth in place.
- After a few minutes when the cloth dry out and become warm, replace it with new ones.
- Keep doing this until the fever is reduced to a safe level.
7.) Garlic to Cure Fever Naturally
The warm nature of garlic can also be useful in reducing a high fever by promoting sweating. This will also help get rid of harmful toxins present in the body and boost recovery rate. Also, garlic is a known anti-fungal and antibacterial agent which helps the body to fight against infections as well as ward off many diseases.
- Mince 1 garlic clove finely, and add it to a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution and sip it slowly.
- Drink this solution 2 times a day and you may start to feel much better the next day.
- Remember: Garlic remedies are not suggested for pregnant ladies and small kid.
8.) Turmeric to Get Rid of High Fever
Turmeric is another proven remedy to treat fever at home. Turmeric is known to have a chemical compound known as curcumin, Curccumin has potent antiviral, anti-fungal, antioxidant and antibacterial properties. This helps your immune system to fight any kind of infection. It also helps prevent complications and reduce the duration of fever.
- Take ½ tsp of turmeric, ¼ tsp of black pepper powder and mix both in a cup of hot milk.
- Drink this mixture 2 times daily to get rid of fever symptoms quickly.
9.) Ginger to Get Rid of a Fever
Ginger is a fine remedy which helps the body expel heat and thus reduces fever. Also, ginger is a natural antibacterial and antiviral agent which helps the immune system to fight any type of infection.
- Add ½ tsp of freshly grated ginger and mix in 1 cup of boiling water,
- Let it steep for several minutes.
- Add some honey to it and sip this ginger tea.
- Drink it 3-4 times a day.
- Alternatively, mix ½ tsp of ginger juice, 1 tsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of honey.
- Consume this mixture 3-4 times daily until you get rid of a fever.
10.) Raisins to Prevent Fever
Raisins help your body fight infections and reduce the temperature of the body. Raisins are packed with phenolic phytonutrients that are known to have antioxidant and antibacterial properties. Plus, raisins work as a tonic for your body when you suffer from a fever.
- Take about 20- 25 raisins and soak them in ½ cup of water for an hour, or until the raisins are soft.
- Crush these soaked raisins in the water and strain the liquid.
- Add half lime juice to this solution.
- Drink this 2 times a day until you get rid of the fever.
Note: If your fever goes higher than 104 degrees Fahrenheit, or 40 degrees Celsius, it can become quite dangerous. In such a situation, you must consult a doctor immediately.