After writing, how to get rid of a migraine fast?, home remedies to treat pain, and how to get rid of lower back pain?, we are now writing the best remedies that will help you to get rid of a headache fast and naturally. A headache is characterized as a pain in head or neck region. The intensity of the pain varies from mild to severe. It is the most common symptom of any mild or serious diseases. The pain is a result of the disturbed pain-sensitive structures around the brain. In this article, we will tell you the best remedies to get rid of a headache fast and naturally. There are 5 types of headaches that are, tension, cluster, sinus, rebound and migraine headaches.
A headache is a very common condition and there can be many causes for this condition. The most common cause of a headache is a muscle tension headache. A headache can be anywhere, on the forehead, behind the eyes or on the scalp. Most headaches get disappeared with time on their own. Headaches may become chronic by occurring frequently or it may occur occasionally. Read more, to know about the best remedies to get rid of a headache fast and naturally. Some other cause of a headache are, lack of sleep, stress, skipping meals, long working hours, using the computer for a long time, dehydration, acidity, and high blood pressure.
Types of Headache:
- Migraine Headache: Migraines have well-defined attacks with symptoms like sensitivity to light, nausea, sounds and vomiting.
- Tension Headache: It is a most common type of a headache and usually as a result of stress and overthinking.
- Cluster Headache: Cluster headaches are repetitive in nature, ones that occur for weeks to months at a time.
- Sinus Headache: Sinus headaches are result of blockage on sinus passages. It can be due to anything even from stuffy nose, runny nose and nose blockage.
- Rebound Headache: These headaches are the medication related headaches. They usually occur by long term and regular use of any medicine.
Best to Get Rid of a Headache Fast and Naturally:
1.) Apply The Ice Pack
Ice pack reduces the inflammation and pain around the head and neck region. It is the best remedy for all types of headaches. It numbs the area and the person does not experience pain.
- Dab an ice pack over the painful area for a half an hour. Repeat this until you get relief. If you don’t have an ice pack then you can make your own ice pack at home by wrapping few ice cubes in the wash cloth.
- The bag of frozen vegetables will also work as an ice pack. Alternatively, you can use frozen metal spoons to treat a headache fast.
- If any of the above remedies does not come handy, simply dip a wash cloth in the ice-cold water, squeeze it and place it on your head for 5-8 minutes. Repeat the process until you get rid of a headache fast and naturally.
2.) Drink Plenty of Water
One of the main cause of a headache is dehydration, lack of water content in the body. Drinking plenty amount of water can help you to get rid of a headache fast.
- Drink 5-8 glass of water per day. Water releases the toxins from the body. The toxins give way to fatigue and headache.
- Eat fruits such as watermelon, coconut water and etc, which have high water content. Take a bottle of water with you and whenever you experience a headache sip it.
3.) Use The Rosemary Oil
Rosemary oil also helps to get rid of a headache effectively. Rosmarinic acid in rosemary oil has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties, which help to get rid of a headache. In 1 tsp of carrier oil (olive or almond oil), mix a few drops of rosemary oil and then massage your forehead gently with it. In addition, you can also make an herbal tea with it to treat a headache. Take a glass of water, mix 1 teaspoon of crushed sage leaves and 1 teaspoon of crushed rosemary leaves. Then boil it, at least for 10-15 minutes. Then, leave it at room temperature to cool it. Consume this herbal tea at least 2-3 times a day for relief.
4.) Mint Will Help
Mint or mint juice works as an effective remedy to get rid of a headache naturally. Menthol is the primary components of mint and very helpful to treat a headaches. Extract mint juice from the mint leaves. Then apply it on your forehead to get rid of a headache. You can also apply the mint tea to get relief from discomfort. Coriander juice and mint juice are also very much effective for treating headache.
5.) Use The Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is also an effective remedy to get rid of a headache fast and naturally. Peppermint contains menthol, which helps to open the clogged blood vessels that cause a headache. It also contains soothing and calming effects. In water or in 1 tablespoon of olive or almond oil, mix 3 drops of peppermint oil. Then massage it properly on your forehead. Put crushed peppermint leaves on your forehead. Another way to use peppermint is, in a pot of boiling water, add a few drops of peppermint oil. Then take steam of it by inhaling the vapors of peppermint oil.
6.) Massage Your Scalp
A gentle massage on scalp improves the blood circulation and releases the stress, which is an another cause of a headache. Moreover, use your fingers to massage. People generally massage their head with palms, which is not a correct way, as it tangles the hair and exert extra pressure on the scalp, which is not good.
- Hot oil massage will solve the purpose. It will relax your body. The easiest way is, whenever you experience a headache, simply massage your head with fingers.
- Apart from oil, you can also massage shampoo while taking a, however. This will clean your scalp and relax your mind.
- Moreover, gently massage your neck as well. It will relief the tension and helps you to get rid of the headache fast.
- Alternatively, Close your eyes and use your thumbs and massage the area around eyes in the circular motion.
7.) Use The Essential Oil
Essential oils are a boon to get rid of headaches. They not only release the stress but also refreshes the mood and opens the clogged blood vessels that give way to a headache. Menthol present in the peppermint oil opens the clogged blood vessels and calves the nerves. In a bowl mix, a few drops of peppermint, olive oil, and almond oil or only water will also do the work.
Massage this combination of oils over forehead and temple area. You can also take steam using the peppermint. The soothing scent of lavender is enough to relax the mind. Moreover, it is the best remedy for a migraine as well. Mix few drops of lavender oil with almond and olive oil and massage it on the forehead. Steam with lavender oil can also be a good alternative.
8.) Use The Basil Leaves
Basil helps to get rid of a headache faster because it relaxes the muscles. It is a natural pain reliever. It has anti-inflammatory properties that come handy for treating headaches.
- The easiest way to cure a headache with basil is to chew some basil leaves or add 2-3 leaves of basil in essential oil used for massage.
- Alternatively, In a boiling water, add 3-4 fresh basil leaves, you can also add honey for sweet flavor. Strain the water and sip the tea.
9.) Take The Help From Ginger
Ginger is a most common ingredient and very easily available in the kitchen. It is enriched with inflammatory properties, which come handy to get rid of a headache instantly.
- In a lemon juice mix ginger juice and gulp it. Drinking this juice 1-2 times a day will solve your problem.
- Alternatively, you can apply the paste of ginger powder and water on the forehead or in your regular tea add ginger and basil leaves.
10.) Use The Cloves
Clove also works as a pain reliever and treat the headache super fast. The herb is best for treating the tension headache.
- The instant remedy for a headache is to inhale the odor of the crushed cloves or mix few drops of cloves oil in carrier oil and gently massage over the forehead.
- Alternatively, add 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of sea salt in clove oil and rub the mixture on the temple and forehead.
11.) Apple or Apple Cider Vinegar
The phrase “an apple a day keeps a doctor” is apt for a headache as well. An apple a day with salt will help you to get rid of the headache fast. You can also use apple cider vinegar instead.
- After waking up, eat an apple with salt sprinkled over it. Then consume warm water.
- Alternatively, take a steam using ACV instead of essential oils or simply add 1 tablespoons of ACV in a glass of water, mix it well and drink it.
- To get rid of regular a headache, follow the above remedy 2-3 times a day.
12.) Use The Almonds
Instead of popping a headache pill, have a handful of nuts like almonds. Almonds contain pain-relieving chemicals that help to get rid of a headache. Chew 3-4 almonds to encounter a headache. However, don’t over eat almonds since it contains high calories.
13.) Acupressure to Get Rid of Headache
Acupressure points help in relieving headaches effectively. Massage and press the area between index finger and thumb, the highest spot of the muscle when both the finger and thumb are brought close together. Do this for 2-3 minutes. Then repeat on the other hand.
14.) Exercise to Keep a headache at Bay
Regular exercise will help you to get rid of a headache.
- Yoga – Regular yoga refreshes your mind and releases all the tensions and worries which give birth to a headache.
- Breath In, Breath Out – It will improve the blood circulation and provide a sufficient amount of oxygen to the brain.
15.) Lavender Oil to Get Rid of a Headache
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of a headache. The soothing properties of lavender oil helps to relieve stress, insomnia, anxiety and depression which can be the underlying causes of headache. The linalool and linalyl acetate present in lavender oil gets absorbed in the system and helps to reduce painful headaches. One of the best things about this oil is that it is safe for both pregnant women and young children because of its mild nature. It is an excellent option for migraines. Follow the steps given below to get rid of headache.
- You can do a head massage using lavender oil to reduce painful headaches.
- You can mix 2 to 3 drops of lavender oil in boiling water. Inhale the steam for 10 minutes. This will induce relaxation.
- Alternatively, apply this oil on your neck and temples to get rid of throbbing pain.
16.) Flaxseed Oil to Treat Headache
This is one of the most effective home remedies to treat headache. This is an excellent solution if the headache is caused by inflammation. The omega 3 fatty acids present in flaxseed oil are anti-inflammatory in nature which helps in reducing the painful headaches. It is wonderful oil for migraine headaches. Follow the steps given below to get rid of throbbing pain.
- Take one teaspoon of any carrier oil such as jojoba oil or coconut oil in a bowl.
- Mix 2 to 3 drops of flaxseed oil in it.
- Massage this oil gently on your temples and body for a couple of minutes.
- This will induce feeling of relaxation and give quick relief.
- Wash the oil after 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment whenever there is throbbing pain.
17.) Chamomile Tea to Get Rid of Headache
This is one of the wonderful remedies to get rid of headache. The compounds present in chamomile tea relax the mind and reduces the throbbing pain. This tea also contains bisabolol which is known for its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. This makes it an amazing remedy for migraines. Follow the steps given below to get quick relief.
- Boil a cup of hot water and soak one chamomile tea bag in it.
- Allow it to steep for the next 10 to 15 times.
- Remove the tea bag and add one teaspoon of honey in it.
- Stir it well and slowly sip this hot tea to induce relaxation and reduce throbbing pain.
- Repeat this 2 to 3 times a day for complete relief.
18.) Green Tea to Cure Headache
This is one of the miraculous remedies to cure headache. Green tea contains caffeine which improves the blood flow in the brain. Once the blood flow increases the headache will naturally reduce. Green tea eliminates the free radicals from the body and stimulates the nervous system. Follow the steps given below to get instant relief.
- In one cup of boiling water, add one green tea bag.
- Remove the tea bag after a couple of minutes.
- You can add a few drops of honey or lemon juice for taste.
- Drink 3 to 4 cups of green tea daily to reduce the throbbing pain and keep yourself healthy.
19.) Betel Leaves the Get Rid of Headache
This is one of the wonderful home remedies to reduce the throbbing pain. The anti-inflammatory, cooling and analgesic properties present in betel leaves makes it an excellent choice for headache. The combination of betel leaves and camphor is drastic so using them together will give wonderful results. Follow the steps given below to get rid of headache.
- Grind 4 to 5 betel leaves in a jar and mix a little amount of water.
- Add a few drops of camphor oil in this paste.
- Massage this paste on the headache and temples.
- Leave this paste on the head for the next 20 minutes.
- Alternatively, place the betel leaves on the temples directly.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day to cure headache.
20.) Fish Oil to Treat Headache
This is one of the best home remedies to treat headache. The omega 3 fatty acids present in fish oil are known for its anti-inflammatory properties. This oil helps to reduce the frequency and severity of headaches and migraines. All you need to do is consume 100mg of fish oil supplements on a daily basis. Consume these fish oil supplements for about one week to get long term relief from headaches.
Note: Fish oil supplements should not be taken by pregnant and breast feeding women. You should also consult to a doctor before giving it to young children.
21.) Feverfew Tea to Cure Headaches
This is one of the most effective home remedies to cure headaches. Headache occurs when blood vessels expand and pressure is put on the nerves. Feverfew herb is an excellent herb that induces relaxation and reduces the inflammation and pain. It constricts the blood vessels and gives quick relief. Follow the steps given below to get rid of headache.
- In one cup of boiling water, add one oz of dried feverfew flowers.
- Steep it for the next 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain it and sip it slowly to get quick relief.
- Repeat this remedy to reduce throbbing pain.
22.) Eucalyptus Oil to Get Rid of Headaches
This is one of the most effective remedies to get rid of headaches. The anti-inflammatory, expectorant and pain reducing qualities of eucalyptus oil make it an excellent choice for headache. It is excellent oil for tension headaches and treating sinus. Follow the steps given below to reduce the throbbing pain.
- Take a bowl of hot water.
- Add 5 to 6 drops of eucalyptus oil in this water.
- Leave it for a few minutes so that the oil is completely dissolved in water.
- Cover your head, neck and shoulders with a towel and inhale the steam.
- Do this for atleast 5 minutes to get relief from congestion.
- Repeat this process 2 times a day to get rid of headache caused by sinus.
23.) Cayenne Pepper to Cure Headaches
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of headaches. Cayenne pepper contains an ingredient called capsaicin which helps to reduce the pain and inflammation caused by headaches. Follow the steps given below to get rid of headaches.
- In 4 oz of warm water, add half teaspoon of finely grounded cayenne pepper.
- Dip a cotton ball in this solution.
- With this cotton ball apply this solution on the inside of the nostrils.
- Repeat this treatment whenever there is throbbing pain.
24.) Buckwheat to Get Rid of Headache
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of headache. The antioxidants present in buckwheat works well against all sorts of headache. The antioxidants in buckwheat fight against flavnoids such as rutin which can be the reason of your migraine. It contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties which makes it an amazing choice. All you need to do is consume buckwheat on a regular basis to cure headache.
25.) Sesame Seeds to Cure Headache
This is one of the most effective home remedies to cure headache. It reduces hormonal headaches by stabilizing the estrogen levels in the body. The vitamin E and magnesium in helps to stabilize the estrogen levels. It also increases the blood circulation in the brain which in turn cures headache. All you need to do is sprinkle sesame seeds on your salad or soup to treat headache.
Tips to Prevent Headaches
- Get the right pillows to prevent headaches.
- Stay in good posture and keep moving during the day to stay away from headache.
- Drink plenty of water to prevent headache.
- Do deep breathing exercises to stay stress free. Stress can increase the frequency of headaches.
- Get proper sleep to prevent headache. You need to sleep for atleast 8 hours.
- Don’t sit in front of your phone or laptop for long hours. It strains the eyes due to which headache is caused.
- Eat small and frequent meals to prevent headache.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and red wine to prevent headaches.