Do you feel difficulty while moving your neck? Is it the stiffness that can’t let you turn your head to the side? A stiff neck can be caused due to several issues. Though, it is not a serious medical problem but it can affect your sleep adversely. But, we can get rid of a stiff neck easily. There are various ways to treat this problem, but first we need to understand the causes of a stiff neck.
Causes of a Stiff Neck:
- Having a bad body posture
- Awkward sleeping position
- Strain in the neck muscles
- Due to a forceful sneeze
- Using too many pillows while sleeping
- Improper sitting position and body posture at workplace
Symptoms of a Stiff Neck:
- Difficulty while moving your neck either left or right
- Feeling uneasy at the time of sleeping
- Pain in the shoulders, neck, and upper part of the back
- Experiencing the muscle spasm in the cervical and the muscles of the upper back
- Fever and headache
Note: If a stiff neck accompanies the symptoms of a headache and pain with it, then remember it can be the sign of meningitis.
Ways to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck:
- Ways to Get Rid of a Stiff Neck:
- 1.) Start Doing Therapeutic Exercises
- 2.) Massage Therapy to Get Rid of Stiff Neck
- 3.) Take a Warm Water Shower
- 4.) Get Rid of a Stiff Neck with Epsom Salt
- 5.) Isometric Exercises to Get Rid of Stiff Neck
- 6.) Maintain a Good Posture to Get Rid of Stiff Neck
- 7.) Get Rid of a Stiff Neck with Turmeric Powder
- 8.) Get Rid of a Stiff Neck with Acupuncture
- 9.) Apply Balm to Get Rid of Stiff Neck
- 10.) Use Homeopathic Treatment
1.) Start Doing Therapeutic Exercises
It is easy to get rid of a stiff neck by performing these therapeutic exercises. It helps in providing relief from the tension that gets developed in the muscles of our neck. Just spent 15 minutes to perform this exercise regularly.
How to Perform:
- Move your chin towards the chest and then look upwards for few minutes.
- Also, nod your head forward and backward. But, make sure that you don’t perform this exercise vigorously as it can cause pain if performed at a rapid pace.
- Tilt your head towards the left and right side to ease your pain.
- Turn your head completely towards the left-hand side then the right-hand side and vice-versa for few minutes. Though, it is quite a difficult exercise to perform when you have the stiff neck. But, it is one of the best ways to get rid of a stiff neck.
2.) Massage Therapy to Get Rid of Stiff Neck
Massaging is one of the best techniques used to get relief from neck pain. It is one of the most effective ways to get rid of a stiff neck.
How to Perform:
- Bring your arm towards the back and try to grasp your neck with the help of the hand.
- Make sure that your thumb should be placed on one side and your fingers must be placed on the other side.
- Now, massage your neck by pressing your thumb and fingers on the neck.
- Try to squeeze them together for few minutes.
- Repeat this motion on the upper and lower part of your neck for few minutes.
- It helps in reducing the pain of your neck by providing it the ease for moving.
3.) Take a Warm Water Shower
Place your neck under the warm water shower at least for 5 minutes. Do not perform any kind of neck motion during this process. It is one of the effective ways to reduce the pain of the muscles of the neck.
4.) Get Rid of a Stiff Neck with Epsom Salt
Epsom Salt is made up of magnesium sulfate compound. It improves the circulation in the body. It also helps in regulating the-the activity of the enzymes. Hence, it plays a major role in easing the pain while reducing the stress and tensions in the muscles of the body.
- Add Epsom salt to the bath water. It helps in reducing the soreness of the muscles.
- It is better to use warm water for the bath.
- Soak it for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process, at least, three times in the week.
Note: Do not use Epsom salt if you have kidney diseases or diabetes.
5.) Isometric Exercises to Get Rid of Stiff Neck
These exercises can be performed easily against the resistance without moving your head.
How to Perform:
- Sit upright in a relaxed position.
- Hold your hand up to the forehead.
- Now, press your forehead with your palm while resisting the motion.
- Place your right hand on the right-hand side of your head and press it against your hand.
- Apply the same process on the left side.
- It helps in easing the pain of the muscles. Do it on a regular basis to get rid of a stiff neck.
6.) Maintain a Good Posture to Get Rid of Stiff Neck
Good posture means maintaining a balance of head and the spine of your backbone in relation to gravity. It is one of the best methods to get rid of a stiff neck.
Method to maintain a good posture:
- Stand with your back towards the wall.
- Your shoulders and buttocks must touch the wall.
- Even the back of your head must stay close to the wall and maintain a chin level.
- Step away from the wall and remember you have to carry this posture whole day.
7.) Get Rid of a Stiff Neck with Turmeric Powder
It contains the anti-inflammatory property that helps in relieving the discomfort caused due to a stiff neck. It also maintains the blood circulation in our body.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric powder in one cup of warm milk.
- Heat it to a low temperature for 5 minutes.
- Strain it and add a little honey to the milk.
Note: Don’t consume turmeric if you have the problem of gallstones or bile duct obstruction.
8.) Get Rid of a Stiff Neck with Acupuncture
It is basically a Chinese traditional therapy that helps in relieving pain and other problems by penetrating the points of the skin with tiny needles. You need to visit a reputed acupuncture therapist for treating the stiffness of the neck. So, apply this technique to get rid of a stiff neck.
9.) Apply Balm to Get Rid of Stiff Neck
There are several types of balms available in the market like analgesic and rubefacient that helps in relieving pain. You may also use pain relieving gel-like Biofreeze. Apply it to get rid of a stiff neck. It treats spasm muscles and stiff shoulders very well.
10.) Use Homeopathic Treatment
Arnica, Bryonia, Gelsemium, Cimicifuga, Causticium, and Chaledonium are the homeopathic medicines available in the market that helps in treating the stiff neck.
Fix Stiff Neck in 60 Seconds:
Here are few important ways that you may follow to fix stiff neck. So, use following steps to fix stiff neck in 60 seconds.
Step 1: First of all just find out the sore area around your neck. If the sore area is situated at the upper back or at the right side of your neck then simply put your right hand on that area. If it is the left side then simply use your left hand.
Step 2: Use your fingers and apply a firm pressure on an affected area.
Step 3: Just try to turn your head in the opposite direction of the cramp. Also, bent it diagonally in such a way that you are trying to touch the armpit with your chin. It is a great way to activate the cramped muscle. This tactic will provide instant relief in the stiff neck.
Step 4: Repeat step 1 and step 3 for few minutes to provide instant relief to your neck.
Tips to Manage Neck Pain at Home:
Here are few tips that you may follow to manage neck pain at home. heat pack or hot water bottle on
- Hold heat pack or hot water bottle to your neck. It is an effective and quick way to treat a stiff neck.
- Always sleep on a firm and low pillow at night.
- Stop driving two-wheeler vehicle if it is hard for you to turn your head.
- Keep your neck free, just avoid wearing collar shirts if you have a stiff neck.
Other Preventive Measures for a Stiff Neck:
- Maintain a good posture.
- Always maintain your sitting position even during the working hours.
- Sleep without using many pillows and maintain a proper sleeping position.
- Avoid stress.
- Start swimming as it provides a lot of strength to the back and the neck of your body.
- Have a proper height of furniture at the workplace that can provide comfort while working and maintains your eye level.