After writing, how to treat pink eye?, how to get rid of red eye?, and how to reduce puffy eyes quickly?, we are now writing the best ways to get rid of a stye overnight and fast. Eye stye generally occurs due to infection at the base of eyelid or inner side of eye lid, and caused by staphylococcal bacteria affecting oil gland. This bacteria is generally harmless and only cause infection, when the skin is damaged. This article will help you to get rid of a stye overnight and faster. A stye is a red pimple like lump on the edge of the eyelid. A stye is often quite a painful swelling usually goes away on its own in a week.
Despite potential pain and irritation, eye stye does not cause any harm to our eyelids or eye. You can take natural remedies for an eye stye to ease the pain and reduce the swelling. The home remedies can easily cure an eye stye and also prevent from recurring. The major causes for eye stye are dirt, makeup, or any debris that block and infect the oil gland with harmful bacteria. They got clear up after some time, even if no treatment is received. There is always a possibility that one eye stye spread the infection to the entire eyelids.
What is a Stye in the Eye?
A stye (hordeolum a medical term used for stye) is a small and painful lump develops, when an oil gland of the eyelid becomes infected. It resembles like a pimple on the edge of an eyelid. It can develop inside or outside of the eyelid. Your eyes may be watery and you may have an eyelid or red eye due to a stye. It is possible to have more than one stye in the same eye or in both the eyes. Stye is caused by makeup, dirt or some other bacteria, which infect the oil glands of the eyelid.
Some factors like stress, poor hygiene and hormonal changes may also contribute to this problem. Common symptoms of sties include burning sensation, pain, swelling, difficulty blinking, itching, tenderness and mucus discharge from the infected eye. Sties may go within a week or two. Having a stye irritates you and if you want to get rid of a stye then follow some treatments or remedies. This article will provide you some treatments, which will help you to get rid of a stye.
Best Remedies to Get Rid of a Stye:
1.) Apply The Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is the most popular treatment for eye stye due to its soothing, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It can reduce swelling, redness, and inflammation as well as speed up the healing process.
- Cut an Aloe Vera leaf lengthwise and extract its gel. You can directly gently rub the leaf on your eye stye to subside the pain or simply apply the Aloe Vera gel after extracting it from the leaf.
- Leave the gel on the affected area for around 20 minutes and after that rinse your eyes with clean warm water. Repeat the process many times a day to get rid of eye stye fast and naturally.
- It can also help by providing soothing relief when applied to the painful area of the eye and is perfectly safe to use on the regular basis.
2.) Use The Baby Shampoo
To recover a stye quickly, keep the infected area clean and dust free. Baby shampoo is the best way to wash the affected eye.
- Heat a cup of water and add a few drops of mild shampoo to it.
- Mix it well to dilute the baby shampoo.
- Close your eyes and use a cotton ball to apply this solution on the affected eye.
- Wash the area with warm water. Then apply a warm compress for 5 minutes.
- Do this procedure daily to disappear the stye.
3.) Green Tea Bags Will Help
We all know the health benefits of green tea very well. It contains anti-inflammatory agents which will help to reduce the swelling and soothe the pain. Green tea also contents antioxidant properties that promote healing with other properties to heal the eye stye.
- To prepare the remedy, simply put a green tea bag into a cup of warm water and then leave it for a few minutes.
- Squeeze out any excess water after taking off the green tea bag from the warm water. Press this moist tea bag onto the affected area of your eye, hold it in place for about 5 minutes.
- Repeat the remedy many times a day until your symptoms subside, eased or disappeared completely.
4.) Take Help Form Turmeric
Turmeric is one of the best natural remedies for treating a stye. Turmeric contains antibacterial properties, which can help to get rid of a stye faster. It removes infection-causing elements and inflammation.
- Add 1 tbsp of turmeric to 2 cups of water.
- Then boil this solution until it gets reduced to half.
- Let it cool and strain the solution through a cheese cloth.
- To wash the affected eye use this solution 2 or 3 times a day for some days.
5.) Use The Coriander Seeds
Coriander seeds are the traditional treatment for a stye, due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Coriander seeds help to reduce redness, pain and swelling.
- Add 1 tsp of coriander seeds to 1 cup of water and boil it.
- Then let the water cool down.
- Strain the solution and wash the affected eye area.
- Do this 2 or 3 times daily until you get relief from a stye.
6.) Warm Compress to Treat a Stye Fast
Using a warm compress is one of the best treatments for a stye. The heat which is produced by the warm compress helps to speed up the circulation to the area and remove the pus from the stye. Warm compress reduces symptoms like swelling and pain.
- Heat a glass of water and dip a clean towel in it. Squeeze out the excess water.
- Close your eyes and put the warm compress on the affected eyelid.
- Keep it for 5 minutes and repeat it 3 or 4 times daily until the pus is drain out.
- Use a clean towel to remove the pus.
- Put the warm compress again until pus stops to come out.
7.) Apply The Castor Oil
Castor oil is one of the effective home remedies for treating a stye. Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid, which acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. That’s why castor oil reduces inflammation and pain effectively.
- Use a baby shampoo to wash the affected eye.
- Place a warm compress over the affected eye for 5 minutes.
- Apply, castor oil with a cotton swab on the eyelid.
- Repeat this process 2 times a day for some days.
8.) Rinse With Guava Leaves Water
Guava has strong healing power and its leaves are good to get rid of a stye. Guava leaves possess anti-inflammatory properties, which helps to eliminate the swelling and redness of the affected eye.
- Wash 2 to 3 guava leaves in hot water.
- Take a cloth and put it in hot water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the leaves on the warm cloth and wrap it well.
- Let it cool down and take out 1 leaf.
- Place this leaf on the affected area and leave it for 5 minutes. Do it for 3 to 4 days.
9.) Potato to Get Rid of a Stye Fast
Potato is also a good home remedy for sties. The astringent properties of potato help to reduce the skin irritations. It also decreases pain and inflammation.
- Grate a potato and wrap it in a cheese cloth.
- Put the cheese cloth on the affected eyelid for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Follow this remedy 2 to 3 times daily for 4 days.
10.) Cleanse the Stye to Treat Eye Stye Naturally
It is very important to keep on cleaning your eye to get rid of eye stye fast. Take an extra care of your eye while suffering from the stye. The first thing you should do after getting the eye stye is to clean it with warm water. Keep the stye clean to prevent the further spreading of the infection. Take warm water in a bowl and using a cotton ball gently clean the eye stye. Be make sure your hand is fully clean as it is necessary for fast relief. Avoid your eye from direct exposure to sunlight and dust as they may hinder the recovery process.
11.) Cucumber to Treat Eye Stye Naturally
Cucumber is one of the best home remedies for eye stye. Cucumbers are an excellent source of vitamin K, copper, potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and biotin. Due to the presence of mineral silica, it acts as a great ingredient to treat eye stye. Furthermore, cucumber helps decrease inflammation and pain. Simply slice a cucumber and place the slices on the affected areas. The cooling and soothing effect of cucumber help you remove the eye stye quickly. It also alleviates the swelling and help to get rid of eye stye fast and naturally.
12.) Cloves to Get Rid of a Stye Naturally
Cloves work as an irritation reliever and pain reliever and hence considered as a beneficial remedy for sties. The antibacterial properties of cloves help to prevent the spreading of eye infections.
- Put 5 or 6 cloves in a glass of water for ten minutes.
- Strain this water and soak a cloth in this water.
- Squeeze out the excess water from a cloth.
- Place the cloth on the affected eye for a few minutes.
- Repeat this procedure 2 or 3 times daily, for some days.
13.) Garlic to Treat a Stye
This is one of the favorable home remedies to treat a stye. The anti-bacterial properties present in garlic juice makes it an excellent remedy for curing eye infection. Garlic gives quick relief from the pain and reduces the stye. Follow the steps given below to get beneficial results.
- Crush 2 to 3 garlic cloves to extract its juice.
- Apply this juice on the stye directly. You can use a Q tip to apply it properly.
- Let it dry on its own.
- Wash the affected area with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this treatment 2 to 3 times a day to reduce stye.
Note: Make sure the garlic juice does not enter the eye.
14.) Acacia Leaves to Get Rid of Stye
This is one of the excellent home remedies to get rid of stye. It is a perfect solution if it’s a painful stye. Acacia leaves reduce the swelling and soreness of the eye within a few minutes only. Follow the steps given below to cure eye infection.
- Take some fresh acacia leaves and soak them in water.
- Let it soak for some time.
- Remove the leaves and wash the stye with this water.
- Do this atleast two times a day to get rid of a stye.
15.) Bitter Gourd to Treat a Stye
This is one of the most amazing home remedies to treat a stye. This detoxifying agent cleanses the skin and reduces the stye efficiently. The anti-bacterial properties of bitter gourd make it a perfect solution for curing eye infection. It is an excellent choice to alleviate pain caused by stye. Follow the steps given below to get significant results.
- Cut thin slices of bitter gourd.
- Gently rub the slice on the stye directly.
- Let the slice stay on the eye for the next 15 minutes.
- Wash the area with lukewarm or normal water.
- Alternatively, prepare a bitter gourd tea and add a pinch of salt in it for taste. Drink this tea on a regular basis on empty stomach.
16.) Bread and Milk to Get Rid of Stye
This is one of the wonderful remedies to get rid of stye. The warmness of the milk helps in rupturing the stye. Follow the steps given below to cure eye infection.
- Soak a clean and fresh bread piece in a bowl of warm milk.
- Keep the soaked bread on the affected eye for atleast 15 to 20 minutes.
- This will rupture the stye. If the stye does not rupture, leave the bread on the stye for a longer time.
- Once the stye is ruptured, clean the pus with clean cotton.
- Wash the affected eye with lukewarm water and apply an antiseptic to prevent infection.
Note: Make sure the milk is not too hot otherwise it will burn the sensitive skin around the eyes.
17.) Tea Tree Oil to Reduce Stye
This is one of the most effective home remedies to get rid of stye. The anti-microbial properties of tea tree oil are a perfect solution for curing topical infection. It also contains anti-viral and anti-fungal properties helps to reduce the stye by killing the bacteria that is responsible for causing it. Tea tree oil encourages healing and reduces the inflammation caused by stye. Follow the steps given below to get significant results.
- Take 2 tablespoons of water and mix 5 drops of tea tree oil in it.
- Mix the solution well and keep it in the refrigerator for atleast 15 to 20 minutes.
- Apply this solution on the affected area of the eye directly.
- Do this atleast three times a day to heal the stye completely.
18.) Epsom Salt to Get Rid of Stye
This is one of the excellent home remedies to get rid of stye. The astringent properties of Epsom salt cleans the affected area and gives quick relief from the pain and inflammation caused by stye. The warmness of the water reduces the stye and encourages healing. Follow the steps given below to treat stye.
- Take one cup of water and mix one teaspoon of Epsom salt in it.
- Soak a clean and soft cloth in this water.
- Squeeze out the excess water and keep the cloth on the affected eye.
- Keep it on the eye for 15 to 20 minutes and then soak the cloth again in salt water.
- Repeat this method 3 to 4 times a day to get relief and reduce stye.
19.) Honey to Treat Stye
This is one of the amazing home remedies to treat a stye. The emollient properties of honey keep the skin soft and moisturized. It reduces the inflammation and itching sensation in the affected eye. The anti-allergen and anti-microbial property of honey kills the bacteria that are responsible for causing eye stye. Follow the steps given below to get favorable results.
- In 2 cups of hot water, mix three tablespoons of honey.
- Make sure that honey is mixed well.
- Let the temperature cool down a little.
- Wash the affected eye with this honey water.
- Repeat this treatment two to three times a day to get rid of stye.
20.) Tamarind to Get Rid of Eye Stye
This is one of the excellent home remedies to get rid of eye stye. Tamarind reduces the swelling and pain caused by stye. Follow the steps given below to get desired results.
- In 2 cups of water, soak a handful of tamarind seeds.
- Let the seeds be soaked for the next 12 to 14 hours.
- Remove the seeds and then use this water to wash the affected eye.
- Repeat this treatment two times a day to get relief and encourage healing.
21.) Onion to Get Rid of Stye
This is one of the most beneficial home remedies to get rid of eye stye. It is an excellent solution to reduce the pain and inflammation caused by stye. No doubt it creates a burning sensation but it encourages the healing process. The anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties of onion kill the bacteria responsible for causing eye stye. The fumes that come out from the onion bring water to the eyes which reduce the eye pain. It also removes the dirt from the eyes which is responsible for causing infection. Follow the steps given below to get noticeable results.
- Cut an onion into this slices.
- Place these onion slices on the eye for the next few minutes.
- Repeat this treatment atleast two times a day to get rid of stye.
22.) Good Hygiene to Treat Stye
Here are some tips that will help you to recover fast and heal the stye completely.
- Use a good anti-bacterial eye wash to clean your eyes.
- Don’t pop a stye otherwise the infectious pathogens will spread which will cause more sties.
- Avoid going out in sunlight. It will make the stye bigger and inflamed.
- Don’t use anyone’s towel or other items. Stye is contagious and it can spread.
- Don’t use harsh chemicals such as boric acid on the affected eye.
23.) Chamomile Tea to Get Rid of Eye Stye
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of eye stye. The soothing effect of chamomile tea gives quick relief from the pain and inflammation caused by stye. All you need to do is soak a chamomile tea bag in hot water. Dip a cotton ball in this chamomile tea and place it on the stye. Do this several times a day to treat a stye.
24.) Cooked Egg to Treat Eye Stye
This is one of the wonderful remedies to get rid of eye stye. The heat from the cooked egg reduces inflammation, swelling and pain caused by stye. All you need to do is place a hardboiled egg on the affected eye. Let it stay on the eye for atleast 20 minutes. Repeat this method two times a day to encourage healing process.
25.) Coin to Reduce Eye Stye
This is one of the best methods to get rid of eye stye. The warmth of the coin will give you quick relief and soothe the inflammation. All you need to do is take a coin and wash it with an anti-bacterial soap. Rub the coin between your palms to make it warm. Keep this coin on the affected eye and keep it until the warmth is gone. Repeat this method 2 to 3 times a day to speed up the healing process.
Other Useful Tips to Prevent Stye:
- Don’t squeeze and pop the stye. Wash your hands before and after touching your face and eyes.
- To get temporary relief use a chilled cucumber slice and put it on your infected eye for 10 to 15 minutes.
- You can also use antibacterial creams to treat a stye.
- Don’t use makeup when you are suffering from a stye.
- Don’t wear contact lenses when you have the stye.
- Before going to sleep remove your makeup.