A stye (hordeolum a medical term used for stye) is a small and painful lump develops when an oil gland of the eyelid becomes infected. It resembles like a pimple on the edge of an eyelid. It can develop inside or outside of the eyelid. Your eyes may be watery and you may have an eyelid or red eye due to a stye. It is possible to have more than one stye in the same eye or in both the eyes. Stye is caused by makeup, dirt or some other bacteria, which infect the oil glands of the eyelid. Some factors like stress, poor hygiene and hormonal changes may also contribute to this problem. Common symptoms of sties include burning sensation, pain, swelling, difficulty blinking, itching, tenderness and mucus discharge from the infected eye. Sties may go within a week or two. Having a stye irritates you and if you want to get rid of a stye then follow some treatments or remedies. This article will provide you some treatments, which will help you to treat a stye.
Symptoms of a Stye:
- A lump on the bottom or top eyelid.
- Swelling of the eyelid.
- Burning sensation in the eye.
- Blurred vision
- Mucous discharge in the eye.
Causes of a Stye:
- Poor eyelid hygiene
- Improper removal of eye makeup.
- Use of outdated cosmetics
- Hormonal changes
- Inflammatory diseases of the eyelid such as meibomitis, blepharitis and rosacea.
Best Remedies to Get Rid of a Stye:
1.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of a Stye Naturally
Aloe Vera is a popular remedy for sties as it contains antibacterial, soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces swelling, redness and inflammation which increase the healing process.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to Treat a Stye Fast:
- Extract the gel from an Aloe Vera leaf and rub it over the infected eyelid.
- Keep it for 20 minutes, then wash the eye area with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy daily for 5 days.
2.) Baby Shampoo to Treat a Stye Fast
To recover a stye quickly, keep the infected area clean and dust free. Baby shampoo is the best way to wash the affected eye.
Steps to Use Baby Shampoo to Get Rid of a Stye on Your Eyelid:
- Heat a cup of water and add a few drops of mild shampoo to it.
- Mix it well to dilute the baby shampoo.
- Close your eyes and use a cotton ball to apply this solution on the affected eye.
- Wash the area with warm water. Then apply a warm compress for 5 minutes.
- Do this procedure daily to disappear the stye.
3.) Turmeric to Get Rid of a Stye Naturally
Turmeric is one of the best natural remedies for treating a stye. Turmeric contains antibacterial properties, which can help to get rid of a stye faster. It removes infection-causing elements and inflammation.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Cure a Stye Fast:
- Add 1 tbsp of turmeric to 2 cups of water.
- Then boil this solution until it gets reduced to half.
- Let it cool and strain the solution through a cheese cloth.
- To wash the affected eye use this solution 2 or 3 times a day for some days.
4.) Coriander Seeds to Get Rid of a Stye Naturally
Coriander seeds are the traditional treatment for a stye, due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Coriander seeds help to reduce redness, pain and swelling.
Steps to Use Coriander to Prevent Stye Fast:
- Add 1 tsp of coriander seeds to 1 cup of water and boil it.
- Then let the water cool down.
- Strain the solution and wash the affected eye area.
- Do this 2 or 3 times daily until you get relief from a stye.
5.) Green Tea to Get Rid of a Stye Naturally & Fast
Green tea helps to reduce the inflammation and pain, due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It also diminishes the stye. Green tea is rich in tannic acid and nutrients that keep the infections at bay.
Steps to Use Green Tea to Get Rid of a Stye Overnight:
- Warm a cup of water and dip the green tea bag in it for a few minutes.
- Then squeeze out the excess water from it.
- Close your eyes and put the moist tea bag on the affected eye.
- Place it for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy a few times a day until the stye is removed.
6.) Warm Compress to Treat a Stye Fast
Using a warm compress is one of the best treatments for a stye. The heat which is produced by the warm compress helps to speed up the circulation to the area and remove the pus from the stye. Warm compress reduces symptoms like swelling and pain.
Steps to Use Warm Compress to Cure a Stye:
- Heat a glass of water and dip a clean towel in it. Squeeze out the excess water.
- Close your eyes and put the warm compress on the affected eyelid.
- Keep it for 5 minutes and repeat it 3 or 4 times daily until the pus is drain out.
- Use a clean towel to remove the pus.
- Put the warm compress again until pus stops to come out.
7.) Castor Oil to Get Rid of a Stye Fast
Castor oil is one of the effective home remedies for treating a stye. Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid, which acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. That’s why castor oil reduces inflammation and pain effectively.
Steps to Use Castor Oil for Stye Treatment:
- Use a baby shampoo to wash the affected eye.
- Place a warm compress over the affected eye for 5 minutes.
- Apply, castor oil with a cotton swab on the eyelid.
- Repeat this process 2 times a day for some days.
8.) Guava Leaves to Treat a Stye Naturally & Fast
Guava has strong healing power and its leaves are good to get rid of a stye. Guava leaves possess anti-inflammatory properties, which helps to eliminate the swelling and redness of the affected eye.
Steps to Use Guava Leaves to Prevent Stye:
- Wash 2 to 3 guava leaves in hot water.
- Take a cloth and put it in hot water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the leaves on the warm cloth and wrap it well.
- Let it cool down and take out 1 leaf.
- Place this leaf on the affected area and leave it for 5 minutes. Do it for 3 to 4 days.
9.) Potato to Get Rid of a Stye Fast
Potato is also a good home remedy for sties. The astringent properties of potato help to reduce the skin irritations. It also decreases pain and inflammation.
Steps to Use Potato to Treat a Stye Naturally:
- Grate a potato and wrap it in a cheese cloth.
- Put the cheese cloth on the affected eyelid for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Follow this remedy 2 to 3 times daily for 4 days.
10.) Cloves to Get Rid of a Stye Naturally
Cloves work as an irritation reliever and pain reliever and hence considered as a beneficial remedy for sties. The antibacterial properties of cloves help to prevent the spreading of eye infections.
Steps to Use Cloves to Treat a Stye Fast:
- Put 5 or 6 cloves in a glass of water for ten minutes.
- Strain this water and soak a cloth in this water.
- Squeeze out the excess water from a cloth.
- Place the cloth on the affected eye for a few minutes.
- Repeat this procedure 2 or 3 times daily, for some days.
Useful Tips to Prevent Stye:
- Don’t squeeze and pop the stye.
- Wash your hands before and after touching your face and eyes.
- To get temporary relief use a chilled cucumber slice and put it on your infected eye for 10 to 15 minutes.
- You can also use antibacterial creams to treat a stye.
- Don’t use makeup when you are suffering from a stye.
- Don’t wear contact lenses when you have the stye.
- Before going to sleep remove your makeup.