This article is will provide you the remedies to get rid of cold without using medications. Cold is a very common problem which everyone has to deal once at a time. It is contagious and is caused by many viruses. A sore throat, sneezing, coughing and a stuffy nose is the common symptoms of a cold. Cold should be treated on time. Since it is not a severe problem, therefore, many times we do not feel like consulting the doctor.
A cold is a type of infection which is caused by different types of viruses. There are many over the counter medicines such as nasal decongestants, antihistamines and cough syrups to control the cold. However, these medicines are not effective. These medicines control the symptoms of cold for a short period of time. So you need to use home remedies which are very effective for treating cold. This article will give you some valuable remedies to treat cold without medications.
Symptoms of Cold:
Causes of Cold:
- Rhinovirus- This type of virus lives in nasal passages causing cold.
- The cold virus can spread through the air when someone sneezes or talks and having a cough.
- Cold is contagious, so it may spread through hand to hand contact and sharing objects with someone who has a cold.
Best Remedies to Get Rid of Cold Without Using Medications:
1.) Inhale Steam to Treat Cold Without Using Medications
Inhaling steam is one of the most effective methods to get rid of cold without using medications. It helps to loosen the mucus which can then easily come out.
Steps to Use Steam to Cure Cold Fast:
- Take a bowl of water and boil it. Place it on the table and bend your head over the bowl.
- Cover your head with a towel and breath deeply.
- Do it for a minute, but don’t try to bend your head too close to the surface of the water.
- You can add a drop of camphor, thymol or pine oil to the water for effective results.
2.) Drink Plenty of Fluids to Treat Cold Without Using Medications
Fluids will keep you hydrated and reduce the effects of several symptoms like a sore throat and headache. Intake of soups and hot tea are a good way to get relief from sinus congestion and reduce inflammation in the throat and nose. Drink enough fluids to get rid of cold without using medications.
3.) Cinnamon to Get Rid of Cold Without Using Medications
Cinnamon is one of the best and effective home remedies for treating cold without consulting a doctor. Cinnamon helps to treat the common cold and reduces the pain of a dry sore throat.
Steps to Use Cinnamon to Prevent Cold Naturally:
- Boil a glass of water and add 1 tbsp of powdered cinnamon and 2 cloves in it.
- Put it on simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Strain the solution and drink it while it is warm.
- For effective results, you can add a little honey to it. Drink this tea 1 -3 times a day.
4.) Milk to Treat Cold Without Using Medications
Drinking milk with turmeric and ginger powder helps to treat a cough and symptoms of a cold like headaches and body aches. Moreover, milk does not build up mucus.
Steps to Use Milk to Get Relief from Cold Fast:
- Boil a glass of milk and add one-half tsp of turmeric powder and one-half tbsp of ginger powder to it.
- Let the milk cool to room temperature so that you can drink it easily.
- Drink it 2 times a day before bedtime.
5.) Mullein Tea to Get Rid of Cold Without Using Medications
You can treat the cold by drinking plenty of fluids especially a hot cup of mullein tea. Mullein tea contains expectorant properties due to which it can relieve chest congestion that often accompanies a cold.
Steps to Use Mullein Tea to Get Rid of Cold Naturally:
- To prepare a mullein tea, boil a cup of water and add dried mullein herb to it. Leave it for 5-10 minutes.
- Add some honey to it and drink it 2 or 3 times a day.
- You can also drink green tea to treat a cold.
6.) Pepper to Get Rid of Cold Without Using Medications
Pepper is one of the best natural treatments to get rid of cold without using medications. It contains a compound called capsaicin that helps to remove the mucus and gives relief from congestion.
Steps to Use Pepper to Cure Cold Fast & Naturally:
- Add a dash of pepper in the food while preparing it.
- You can also prepare a solution by adding a tsp of black pepper in a glass of warm water.
- Then gargle with this solution.
7.) Garlic to Treat Cold Without Using Medications
Garlic contains antiviral and antibacterial properties which can be very beneficial in getting rid of cold symptoms. It also helps to remove toxins from the body.
Steps to Use Garlic to Treat a Cold Fast & Naturally:
- Crush one garlic clove and mix it with 2 tsp of lemon juice, 1 tsp of honey and half a tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Consume it daily until the symptoms is gone.
- Boil a cup of water and add 4 to 5 chopped garlic cloves and 1 tsp of honey to it.
- Drink it 2 to 3 times a day. You can also eat garlic clove instead of making garlic solution.
8.) Honey to Treat Cold Without Using Medications
Honey is a great remedy for a sore throat and cold. Honey is rich in enzymes and nutrients which help to kill viruses and bacteria that causes cold.
Steps to Use Honey to Cure Cold Overnight:
- Prepare a mixture of 1 tsp of lemon juice and 2 tsp of honey.
- Consume it after every 2 hours to get relief from the cold and sore throat.
- You can also consume a spoonful of raw honey.
9.) Spice Tea to Cure Cold at Home
Spice tea is an ayurvedic remedy for common cold.
Steps to Use Spice Tea to Get Rid of a Cold:
- Grind a quarter cup of coriander seeds, a quarter tsp of fenugreek seeds and one a half tbsp of cumin and fennel seeds.
- Take a cup of water and boil it. Now add one and a half tsp of rock candy and one and a half tbsp of this spice powder to it.
- Allow it to simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 tbsp of milk in it.
- Again boil this solution and drink it slowly while it is warm. Drink this spice tea daily until the cold is gone.
10.) Ginger to Stop a Cold Without Using Medications
Ginger can also help in getting rid of common cold and its symptoms. This is because it has anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties.
Steps to Use Ginger to Treat a Cold Naturally:
- Eat raw ginger or you can drink ginger tea many times a day.
- You can also add a lemon juice and little honey to it.
- Alternatively, you can prepare a paste of ginger, salt and cloves and consume one-half tsp of it 2 times a day.
- Avoid smoking when you have a cold as smoke can worsen your cold symptoms.
- Take plenty of rest to treat a cold.
- Drink plenty of fluids like water to get rid of a cold.
- Do some exercise to stop a cold.
- Eat a healthy diet to recover from cold quickly.
- After cleaning your nose, wash your hands or you can use sanitizer.
- Eat oranges because oranges contain vitamin C that helps your immune system to fight against cold.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables to get relief from cold.
- Take hot water bath that will help you to treat cold and its symptoms.