Hiccups are very common part of our life. Hiccups irritate us. So we need to get rid of hiccups. But here is the question comes in your mind that how to get rid of hiccups? So you need not worry about this. We have so many methods to stop hiccups. We will share those methods with you in this article. Hiccups occur when the diaphragm muscle tightens suddenly and involuntarily. As the diaphragm tightens repeatedly, it leads to breathing air quickly. Then that air closes the opening of your vocal cords which produces the ‘hic’ sound. Sometimes you may experience slight tightening sensation in the abdomen or throat and chest.
Hiccups occur due to several factors that are overeating, drinking carbonated beverages, eating too quickly or eating very spicy foods, smoking, and swallowing air while eating or chewing. Long term hiccups can last for many hours and can be due to some respiratory conditions, nerve damage and central nervous system. Hiccups are very annoying and embarrassing when you are in public. There are some treatments that will help you to stop hiccups.
Types of Hiccups:
- Hiccup Bout- This type of hiccup can last from several seconds to several days.
- Persistent Hiccup- Persistent hiccups are one which lasts for several days or several weeks.
- Intractable Hiccup- This type of hiccups lasts more than a month.
Symptoms of Hiccups:
- Contraction of the diaphragm which leads to a ‘hic’ sound.
- Stomach ache, insomnia
- Weight loss
- Emotional stress
- Interfere with eating, fever
- Shortness of breath.
Causes of Hiccups:
- Smoking and drinking alcohol leads to hiccups.
- Eating fast and eating spicy foods are the causes of hiccups.
- Swallowing air, especially while chewing gum, resulting hiccups.
- Emotions like fear and stress are the cause of the contraction of the diaphragm muscle.
- A sudden change in room temperature and also change in your stomach temperature are the reason which resets your breathing patterns.
How Do You Get Hiccups?
Hiccups occur when your diaphragm involuntarily and suddenly tightens and that produces a ‘hic’ sound. Hiccups can last more than 2 days and it should be treated. There are some natural methods that will help you to treat hiccups.
Best Remedies to Get Rid of Hiccups:
Remedies plays a very important role to get rid of hiccups. So here are so many tips to treat hiccups.
1) Prescription Medications to Cure Hiccups Fast
If your hiccups are long-term and persistent, then you need to consult a doctor. If you have symptoms like insomnia, unable to eat properly, weight loss, and stress, then doctor prescribes a medication. Some drugs are listed below which helps to treat persistent hiccups:
- Haloperidol is an antipsychotic drug.
- Metoclopramide drug is used to treat nausea.
- Gabapentin drug is used for neuropathic pain and hiccups.
- Chlorpromazine drug is an antipsychotic medication.
- Baclofen drug is a muscle relaxant.
2) Hold Your Breath to Get Rid of Hiccups Naturally
- If you want to stop hiccups, then you need to take a deep breath and hold it for some time.
- When carbon dioxide increases in your lungs, then your diaphragm relaxes.
- So by this way you can stop hiccups.
3) Plug Your Ears to Get Rid of Hiccups Fast
- Put your fingers in your ears for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Press the soft area which is behind your earlobes.
- This procedure provides relaxation through the ‘vagus nerve’, which connects to the diaphragm.
- This is a natural way to get rid of hiccups.
4) Use Your hands to Cure Hiccups Naturally
- Use your thumb to press the palm of other hands.
- This method generates distraction which affects your nervous system and leads to end hiccups.
- You can do another method also. Squeeze the ball of your left thumb which is present between the thumb and forefinger of the right. This is an effective way to stop hiccups.
5) Pull Out Your Tongue to Cure Hiccups
- Pull your tongue out which helps to open your vocal cords.
- By doing this, you breathe more smoothly.
- Most of the singers and actors do this exercise to sing well and it can treat hiccups as well.
6) Ginger to Get Rid of Hiccups Naturally
- Ginger is a spice home remedy to cure hiccups. But use fresh ginger to stop hiccups. It directly overcomes the contraction of the diaphragm for curing hiccups.
- Take a small peeled, slice of ginger and chew it slowly
7) Cover Your Mouth to Treat Hiccups Naturally
- Cover your nose with the help of both hands.
- Then breathe continuously.
- Then this results in inhaling carbon dioxide which helps to relieve hiccups.
8) Drink Some Water to Get Rid of Hiccups Fast
- Take a glass of water. Then take 9 to 10 sips continuously from a glass.
- This will help to generate the rhythmic contractions of the esophagus, which override the spasm of the diaphragm.
- So it gives quick results to stop hiccups.
9) While Drinking Block Your Ears
- While drinking water, block your ears.
- Put your fingers in your ears and take a sip through a straw.
- This method will definitely stop the hiccups.
10) Have Sugar to Get Rid of Hiccups
- Sweet sensation does a great job to treat hiccups.
- Take a teaspoon of sugar and place it on the back of your tongue. But don’t swallow it.
- This is an effective home remedy for hiccups.
11) Eat Peanut Butter to Cure Hiccups
- Take a big tablespoon of peanut butter.
- Place it in your mouth and hold it for five to ten minutes.
- Then swallow the peanut butter.
- Don’t chew peanut butter. Or you can use Nutella or Almond butter.
- Anything which is sticky you can use it. So this remedy gives best results for hiccups.
12) Tickling with Cotton Swab
- Use a cotton swab to tickle the soft palate of the roof of your mouth.
- Or if you have someone for tickling then this will also help to get rid of hiccups.
13) Use Paper Bag to Treat Hiccups
- It works same as the breath-holding method.
- Both method build up the amount of carbon dioxide in the blood stream.
- So you may get relief by hiccups.
14) Lemon or Vinegar to Get Rid of Hiccups Naturally
- Having lemon or vinegar both can help for curing hiccups. As both are sour in taste.
- Take a peeled lemon slice and place it on your tongue.
- They interrupt the surrounding nerves when they come in contact with the taste buds. As the same way, vinegar works.
15) Avoid Spicy Foods for Hiccups Treatment
- Some spices like chilli may irritate the lining of esophagus and stomach.
- Spicy food may also cause acid from the stomach. This extra acid can cause to hiccups. So always avoid spicy food to get rid of hiccups.
16) Gargle with Ice And Warm Water
- Gargling with ice and warm water helps to prevent inhaling.
- So it helps to build up the carbon dioxide in the blood, which interrupts the diaphragm to cure hiccups.
17) Eat a Little Bit of Salt to Treat Hiccups
- Take a teaspoon of salt and swallow it.
- Then take a small sip of water slowly.
- While doing this method you need to take slow breaths.
- This home remedy will help to get rid of hiccups.
18) Avoid Drinking Excess Alcohol and Smoking to Treat Hiccups
- Stop drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Drinking carbonated drinks results in the expansion of your stomach and acid movement which is not good for hiccups.
19) Eat Slowly to Get Rid of Hiccups
- If you eat fast that means you are not chewing food properly, which cause to hiccups.
- So eat slowly and properly.
20) Give Surprises to Stop Hiccups
- This is the best way to stop hiccups instantly.
- By giving surprises or by doing some scary things you can treat hiccups easily.