This article deals with the ways to get rid of ingrown toenails. Ingrown toenail or onychogryphosis is a condition when the nail of the toe penetrates into the skin of the toe. The condition is painful and inflammatory. If it is not cured before handily, it might worsen the condition. It may lead to extra tissue or the yellowish fluid may start bleeding. So it is very important to treat the problem on time. Here, in this article, we will tell you ways to get rid of ingrown toenails.
Symptoms of Ingrown Toenail:
- Pain and tenderness around the toenail.
- Red toenail.
- Swelling in and around a toe.
- Tissue infection in toenail
Causes of Ingrown Toenails:
- Wearing tight shoes.
- Trimming toenail too short.
- Unusual curved toenails.
- Injury in toe
Remedies to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails:
1.) Epsom Salt to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails
Epsom salt cures inflammation around the toenails. Since it is antiseptic in nature, therefore, it treats the wound and softens the skin around the toes, which makes easy for you to remove the ingrown toenail. Give your toe a foot bath with Epsom salt and see the difference.
How to Use Epsom Salt for Ingrown Toenails?
- Take a bucket or a small tub, fill warm water into it.
- In the warm water mix Epsom salt and soak your infected toe in it.
- Soak your toe for 20-20 minutes and then rinse it.
- Take the foot bath 2-3 times a day.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails
Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties which come handy to treat the ingrown toenails. For effective results, you can add ACV in foods also.
How to Use ACV for Ingrown Toenails?
- In a bucket or small tub pour warm water. The water should be warm enough, that you can withstand it.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of ACV in the warm water and soak your foot in the water for 15-20 minutes.
- To get rid of the ingrown toenails do this regularly 2-3 times a day.
3.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails
Hydrogen peroxide is a germicidal agent. It destroys the microorganism which breeds in the ingrown toenail. It cures the foot fungus and makes the skin soft because of which you can easily pluck out the ingrown toenail. Moreover, it controls the burning process. While treating the ingrown toenail people always face burning sensation so to avoid such sensation use hydrogen peroxide.
How to Use Hydrogen Peroxide for Ingrown Toenails?
- Take a bucket or small tub and fill it half with lukewarm water.
- Mix a cup of hydrogen peroxide in the water.
- Dip your infected toe in it and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
4.) Lemon to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails
Lemon is considered as a fabulous antiseptic therefore it is an ideal remedy to treat the ingrown toenail. It treats the inflammation and swelling. It is a wonderful home remedy for toenail fungus and yellow nails as well.
How to Use Lemon for Ingrown Toenails?
- With the help of a cotton ball apply lemon juice over the infected toe.
- Leave it overnight and rinse your toe next day.
- If you are applying it during the day, then make sure you cover the toe after applying the juice.
- Alternatively, you can also place a lemon slice on the infected toe and cover it with the bandage or a gauge.
5.) Camphor to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails
Camphor is another home remedy which can be used to cure the ingrown toenail. It helps to relieve pain, itching and helps to eliminate fungal infections around the toenail.
How to Use Camphor for Ingrown Toenails?
- In a small bowl mix camphor and coconut oil or cinnamon oil.
- Apply the mixture on the infected toe. Leave it for a night.
- Rinse it the following day.
- Repeat this remedy for a week.
6.) Alcohol to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails
You can also use alcohol to get rid of the ingrown toenail. Alcohol softens the skin around the infected toe which makes easy for you to remove the ingrown toenail. Moreover, it cleans the area and inhibits the growth of the bacteria.
How to Use Alcohol for Ingrown Toenails?
- When the toe starts infecting clean it with alcohol.
- Alcohol cleans the germs around the infected toe.
- Further, apply the alcohol on the affected area and leave it for a night.
- Next day rinse your toe with clean and lukewarm water.
7.) Antibiotics to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails
Antibiotics cure ingrown toenail instantly. Apply antibiotic cream on the affected toe after taking a shower and before hitting the sack. It will reduce the infection and help you to get rid of the pain. Antibiotics are easily available in the market. Moreover, if you are applying antibiotics at day time then cover the toe otherwise, it will draw dust on the infected toe and worsen the condition.
8.) Trim Your Nails Gently to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails
The best way to get rid of the ingrown toenail is to discard the nail. However, it will be a painful act but is the best option. Make sure you trim the nail very gently otherwise it can worsen the condition and you might find yourself in the problematic condition. Also, keep your nail clean, the dust accumulated near the nails gives way to infection which further aggravate the problem.
9.) Wear Correct Shoe to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails
If you are experiencing ingrown toenail then wear shoes with open-toe. The covered shoes can hurt you. Also, make sure you don’t wear tight fitting slippers or shoes otherwise the condition will worsen and you will be asked for the toe surgery. Moreover, don’t leave your toe naked. Cover it with bandage or socks. The naked toe draws the dust which worsens the condition. To avoid such condition its better to wear socks or cover the infected toe with bandage or gauge.
10.) Moisturize Your Infected Toe to Get Rid of the Ingrown Toenails
Dryness and chapped skin give way to infection and fungus in a toe. So make sure you apply an ample amount of moisturizer on your toe to keep the dryness at the bay. The best way to keep the toe moisturized is to apply petroleum jelly on the infected toe. Petroleum jelly will heal the problem and also keep the dryness away. However, do not forget to cover your infected toe. Apply the moisturizer after taking a shower and before hitting the sack.
11.) Hot Water to Get Rid of the Ingrown Toenails
Hot softens the brittle nail and salt in it inhibits the growth of the bacteria around. Once the nail becomes soft, you can trim it easily.
How to Use Hot Water for Ingrown Toenails?
- In a bucket pour warm water and salt to it.
- Soak your affected foot in the water for 10-15 minutes.
- Do this 2-3 times a day until you get satisfactory results.
12.) Place a Wick to Get Rid of Ingrown Toenails
It is one of the most important home remedies. By placing a wick or a roll under the ingrown toenail, the toenail will grow outside. It will not penetrate into in the skin of the toe.
How to Use Wick for Ingrown Toenail?
- Roll a small piece of a cotton and place it under the ingrown toenail.
- Change this cotton regularly.