In this article we will discuss how to get rid of menstrual cramps. Menstruation is a natural process of every woman’s life. However, painful menstrual cramps is a very irritating problem for many women. Although, menstrual cramps are hardly a cause for concern, but if they are severe then they can hamper your regular activities.
Menstrual cramps are caused because of a hormone-like substance known as prostaglandin. Prostaglandin causes the muscles of uterine to contract at the time of menstruation.
Cramping can cause a mild or throbbing pain in the lower abdomen area. It also causes pain to the lower back and thighs. Cramps generally reduce after the first 2 or 3 days of the period. Some women may feel cramps just before the onset of their cycle.
Some factors can elevate the possibilities of suffering from menstrual cramps, such as attaining puberty at an early age, heavy bleeding during periods, genetics and unhealthy habits such as smoking, drinking excess alcohol, a sedentary lifestyle and taking drugs (illegal).
Remedies to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps Naturally and Fast
1.) Treat Menstrual Cramps Fast With the Help Of Yoga
Practicing yoga on a regular basis can also be very helpful you to prevent menstrual cramps. Practice daily some yoga poses like Cobbler’s pose and see how you will be able to get rid of the cramps instantly. Here are the steps to perform it.
Cobbler pose steps are as follows:
- Sit on the ground with your legs stretched.
- You can lift your pelvis on a mat if the groin or hips are tight.
- Keep the soles of the feet together and bring them towards the pelvis and hold the ankles.
- Hold big toes of each foot with your first finger, second finger, and thumb.
- You can even use each hand to hold the ankles or shins if it is not possible for you to reach the toes.
- Do not try to push down on the knees. If you want, you can keep cushions under the sitting bones to balance your pelvis.
- Now, Exhale and slowly bend forward, stretch your spine as you do so.
- Keep maintaining the length of your upper body and stretch as far as possible for you to without any strain.
- Hold this position for 1-5 minutes; inhale and slowly sit back.
- Avoid the pose if you have a hip or shoulder injury.
- Keep a yoga mat under the outer thigh to prevent knee or groin discomfort.
- Avoid this pose if you had a baby recently.
- Also, instead of yoga, normal exercise can also help you to get rid of menstrual cramps. A simple brisk walk or some easy exercises can be done to prevent menstrual cramps.
2.) Chamomile Tea to Get Relief from Menstrual Cramps
Chamomile tea is an excellent home remedy for menstrual cramp relief. It is because chamomile has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties. Such qualities help relax the uterus and ease the spasmodic contractions which causes pain at the time of menstruation.
- Take a tea bag of chamomile tea and put it in a cup of boiled water.
- Cover the cup and leave it to steep for 10-15 minutes.
- Later, squeeze out the tea bag completely and add some lemon juice or honey in the tea.
- Drink minimum 2 cups of chamomile tea a day during the week before your expected period cycle.
3.) Cinnamon to prevent Menstrual Cramps Naturally
Cinnamon is another excellent home remedy which you can use to get rid of menstrual cramps fast and naturally. This is mainly because cinnamon is popular for its anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic qualities. These qualities of Cinnamon make it one of the best remedies to prevent pain caused due to menstrual cramps.
- You can take cinnamon in its raw form.
- Otherwise, you can mix it in your tea or food as a spice.
4.) Hot Water to Treat Menstrual Cramps
Hot water is one of the simplest home remedies which you can use to treat menstrual cramps effectively. It helps lower the pain caused due to cramps. To perform this home remedy, follow the instructions below.
- Fill some hot water in a bottle or rubber bag.
- Place it on the stomach for a few minutes.
- Do this several times a day.
- Doing this daily at regular intervals will help ease the menstrual cramps.
5.) Parsley to Get Rid of The Menstrual Cramps
Parsley is well known for its amazing medicinal properties. It is also very effective in menstrual cramps treatment. It has two compounds called myristicin and apiol which are highly effective at stimulating the menstrual process and giving relief from cramps. Here is the method to use it.
- For this remedy you just have to take some parsley and extract juice out of its leaves.
- Drink this juice at the time of your periods.
- It is one of the excellent home remedies.
- It not only helps you get rid of menstrual cramps, but also helps cure irregular periods.
6.) Basil for Menstrual Cramps Treatment
Basil is also another one of the most excellent home remedies for menstrual cramp relief. It can be quite effective in giving relief from pain due to menstrual cramps. Basil is known to have caffeic acid present in it which has analgesic, or pain-killing properties. There are many ways through which you can make use of basil to get rid your condition.
- You can chew some basil leaves in raw form.
- Otherwise, you can add some fresh basil leaves in your tea or can include as a spice in your food.
- Plus, you can even dissolve them in warm water for several minutes. Later, strain and drink the water to reduce the pain.
7.) Blackstrap Molasses to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
Another proven remedy for menstrual cramps is blackstrap molasses. It is a rich source of Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, Manganese, Vitamin B6 and Selenium. Blackstrap molasses is very helpful in reducing blood clots. It soothes the muscles of the uterine walls, which in turn reduces cramps during menstruation.
- Take 1 or 2 tsp of blackstrap molasses and mix it in a cup of warm milk.
- Drink this milk as soon as you start noticing cramps and follow it as long as needed.
8.) Fennel to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
Fennel is known to have excellent phytoestrogenic, antispasmodic, and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps relax the muscles in the uterus, which in turn give relief from cramping and discomfort.
- Take 1 tsp of fennel seeds and add to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Simmer the solution on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain the solution.
- Then, mix 1 tsp of honey for sweetness and added benefits.
- Drink this herbal tea 2 times daily starting three days before the expected date of your cycle.
- Keep drinking it as needed to reduce pain.
- Drink while it’s hot for best result.
9.) Vitamins to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
This is one of the best home remedies which can help get rid of your menstrual cramps effectively. All you have to do is to include those foods which contain a high amount of Vitamins. Such food includes fresh fruits. Include fresh fruits such as lime and orange in your daily diet. These fruits include plenty of Vitamins and thus when consumed on a daily basis, they can help you keep the menstrual cramps at bay.
10.) Minerals to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
Increasing the amount of minerals in your diet can help you to get rid of menstrual cramps. Minerals like Potassium and Calcium are very good for reducing the effects of the menstrual cramps. All you have to do is incorporate foods in your diet which contain these minerals.
- These home remedies should not be followed only during periods. You should follow them daily to lead a better and healthy life.
- Remember to exercise on a regular basis.