Imagine you are invited in a birthday party and in that party you see all kind of your favorite food but at that time you only prefer seeing them instead grabbing them because you are suffering from mouth ulcers. Yes, mouth ulcers these ulcers basically found at the bottom of gums in the mouth. These ulcers create pain while eating your food. They can also be found on the tongue and internal lining of the cheeks and also inside our lips. In this article, we discuss some of the home remedies to get rid of mouth ulcer.
Types of Mouth Ulcers
Minor Ulcers: These are small ulcers that take 10 to 14 days for complete healing.
Major Ulcers: These are litter bigger than minor ulcers and go deep into the skin. It can several weeks to clear these ulcers completely. They can also leave scars once they are healed completely.
Herpetiform Ulcers: These types of ulcers are caused because of the herpes virus. These are in clusters and look like small pinheads.
Causes for Mouth Ulcers:
- Food allergies
- Bacterial infection
- Menstrual periods
- Tissue injury
- Dental infections
- hygiene conditions
Symptoms for Moth Ulcers:
- Burning sensation inside mouth
- Sore in our mouth
- Itching inside mouth
- Yellow bulge appearing in mouth
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers:
1.) Ice Cubes to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcer
Ice cubes really provide relief to your ulcer and it is easy to reduce the swelling and redness
- Take one ice cube rub it on your ulcer
- Hold it upon your ulcer and let it melt on it
- This will give you relief from pain and repeat this as many times you want
2.) Aloe-vera to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcer
Aloe vera is one of the best natural and easy to use home remedies for healing mouth ulcers. It has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory properties that reduce sores in a few days.
- Cut and peel aloe-Vera leaves and extract gel. Apply it directly onto the sores.
- you can also take a minimum of 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel to get rid of mouth ulcer
3.) Honey to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcer
Honey has got the natural healing remedies – that is, it helps restore moisture and prevent dehydration. This ingredient also has the anti-microbial effect that ensures faster healing of the mouth ulcer.
- take one tablespoon of honey in a bowl and mix a pinch of turmeric into it
- dab cotton in it and apply this mixture directly on your sores
- leave it for sometimes rinse it off repeat this remedy twice daily to get rid of mouth ulcers.
4.) Buttermilk to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcer
buttermilk is one of the magical ingredients to cure mouth ulcer. it has acidic qualities which cure the swelling of mouth ulcers. it also provides relief from. buttermilk is having lactic acid which hampers the growth of bacteria and cure our mouth ulcer.
- drink buttermilk twice a day to get rid of mouth ulcer
- you can also keep it in the fridge for sometime before drinking it this will help you to get rid of burning sensation
5.) Basil Leaves to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcer
Leaves of tulsi plant have amazing medicinal properties and one tulsi consists of adaptogen – a substance that aids the body to adapt to stress.
- Chew a few leaves of tulsi with some water about three to four times every day.
- This will help in getting rid of ulcers faster and also lessen the swelling
6.) Papaya to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcer
Eat papaya or drink its juice to heal mouth ulcer.
- Allow the juice or pieces of papaya to linger in the mouth for some time.
- so that it could make direct contact with sores.
7.) Lemon to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcer
Lemon has anti-bacterial properties and it has good source of vitamin c which helps skin tissue to recover
- Squeeze a lemon with the help of a lemon squeezer and Apply it on the sore with a clean finger.
- Leave it for 1-5 minutes. If needed, you may rinse it off.
- Repeat it a number of times.
- You can even directly squeeze 1-2 drops of lemon juice directly on your ulcer.
8.) Saltwater to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcer
Salt water has been used as a natural antiseptic to treat wound and sore. Salt has natural anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties too that make it a perfect home remedy for mouth ulcers.
- Mix salt with water.
- Take some salt water in your mouth and swish it around in there for about 20-seconds.
- Spit it out.
- Repeat till the water in the cup finishes.
- Do this 4-5 times a day.
9.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcer
Baking Soda for Mouth Ulcers as it comes very handy and easily available in our kitchen
And it also has anti-bacterial properties that may treat infections too.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda in half a glass of water and prepare a solution.. Take this solution in your mouth and swish it around inside your mouth.
- Repeat this process 3-5 times a day.
- Make a paste with baking soda and water.
- Apply this paste to your mouth ulcers. Repeat 3-4 times a day.
10.) Clove Oil to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcer
Clove oil has properties of cloves and it is good for healing mouth ulcers
- Dip cotton ball in clove oil and apply it directly on your affected areas
- Leave it for some time such as 15 to 20 minutes
- Rinse it off repeat this remedy twice in a day
- Coconut oil to get rid of mouth ulcers
- Dry coconut, coconut oil, and coconut water are three products of the that are very useful in treating mouth ulcers
11.) Licorice Root to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of mouth ulcers. This herb is a demulcent which forms a protective coating on the mucus membranes. It soothes open lesions and stops the irritation caused by it. The antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties of licorice root make it a wonderful remedy for mouth ulcers. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get visible changes.
- Crush a licorice root and soak it in 2 cups of water for a few hours.
- Rinse your mouth with this water.
- Repeat this method several times a day to treat mouth ulcers.
12.) Coconut Oil to Cure Mouth Ulcers
Coconut oil is one of the best remedies to cure mouth ulcers. The medium chain fatty acids and anti-microbial components present in coconut oil makes it a good choice for treating ulcers. The analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties of coconut oil reduces the swelling and pain caused by mouth ulcers. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get noticeable results.
- Dab a little amount of coconut oil on the mouth ulcers.
- Apply coconut oil several times a day on the affected areas of the mouth.
- Repeat this application every night before going to bed.
13.) Toothpaste for Treating Mouth Ulcers
This is one of the oldest and best methods for treating mouth ulcers. The anti-microbial properties of toothpaste make it an excellent choice for mouth ulcers. It treats the infection that is responsible for causing ulcers. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get satisfactory results.
- Use a Q tip to apply the toothpaste directly on the mouth ulcer.
- Let it stay on the ulcer for a couple of minutes.
- After that you can rinse your mouth.
- Repeat this treatment every day until the whiteness of the ulcer disappears completely.
- After using toothpaste, apply Aloe Vera gel to treat the stinging sensation.
14.) Cayenne to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
This is one of the most effective home remedies to get rid of mouth ulcers. It is a popular and famous remedy for reducing the pain caused by mouth ulcers. The capsaicin present in cayenne numbs the pain and kills the microbes that are causing mouth ulcers. Follow the detailed instructions given below to see visible changes.
- Cover your mouth ulcer with a thin layer of cayenne. You can use a Q tip to apply the cayenne pepper.
- Let it stay on the ulcer for a few minutes and then rinse your mouth.
- Apply this cayenne powder two times a day to get rid of mouth ulcers.
15.) Turmeric to Treat Mouth Ulcers
This is one of the best home remedies to treat mouth ulcers. Turmeric contains antiseptic properties that treat infection when used internally and externally. The anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties of turmeric give instant relief from mouth ulcers. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get wonderful results.
- Mix two tablespoons of turmeric and one tablespoon of water in a bowl.
- Stir it to make a thick paste.
- Coat the mouth ulcer with this paste.
- Let it stay on the ulcer for the next few minutes and then rinse your mouth with plain water.
- Use this application every day in morning and evening to heal the mouth ulcers completely.
16.) Cabbage Juice to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
This is one of the excellent home remedies to get rid of mouth ulcers. The anti-inflammatory compounds in cabbage juice fasten the recovery process of mouth ulcers. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get amazing results.
- Boil a raw cabbage in water until the water is reduced to half.
- Have this cabbage water to get relief from the pain caused by mouth ulcers.
- Drink 3 to 4 glasses of cabbage water per day to treat mouth ulcers.
17.) Orange Juice to Cure Mouth Ulcers
Orange juice is one of the most effective remedies to cure mouth ulcers. Deficiency of vitamin C is one of the main reasons behind mouth ulcers. Vitamin C strengthens the immune system and helps the body to fight all kinds of infections, including canker sores. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get noticeable results.
- Drink a glass of fresh orange juice per day.
- Drink 2 to 3 glasses of juice every day.
- Repeat this method until mouth ulcers completely.
18.) Alum to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
This is one the best methods to get rid of mouth ulcers. The antimicrobial properties of alum fight the microorganisms that cause problems in the digestive system. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get effective results.
- Grind a few alum crystals to make fine powder.
- Dampen cotton and dip it in the powder alum crystals.
- Place this cotton on the mouth ulcer.
- After 2 to 3 minutes, remove the cotton and rinse your mouth.
- Repeat this method two times a day to get rid of mouth ulcers.
19.) Garlic to Cure Mouth Ulcers
Garlic is one of the excellent remedies to cure mouth ulcers. The anti-microbial properties of garlic help to treat infections and fights microorganism. Garlic contains a component called allicin which makes it a wonderful choice for mouth ulcers. Follow the detailed instructions given below to see visible changes.
- Take a garlic clove and cut it into half.
- Rub the juice of this garlic clove directly on the mouth ulcer.
- After 30 to 40 minutes, clean your mouth with plain water.
- Repeat this treatment thrice a day to treat mouth ulcers.
20.) Chamomile Tea Bags to Treat Mouth Ulcers
This is one of the amazing home remedies to treat mouth ulcers. Chamomile contains a compound called bisabolol which reduces the pain and inflammation caused by mouth ulcers. The antiseptic properties of chamomile tea reduce the pain and speeds up the healing process. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get satisfactory results.
- Soak chamomile tea bag in hot water for a few minutes.
- Place this chamomile tea bag against the mouth ulcers for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat this method two times a day to get relief from the discomfort caused by mouth ulcers.
21.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Treating Mouth Ulcers
This is one of the perfect home remedies for treating mouth ulcers. The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar kills the bacteria that are responsible for causing mouth ulcers. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get effective results.
- In half cup of warm water, add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Use this liquid to swish your mouth for a few minutes.
- Afterwards, clean your mouth with plain water.
- Repeat this treatment every morning and evening to get rid of mouth ulcers.
22.) Sage to Get Rid of Mouth Ulcers
This is one of the best herbal remedies to get rid of mouth ulcers. It is widely used in the making of homeopathic medicines. Sage cleanses the mouth and heals the painful mouth ulcers. Follow the detailed instructions given below to cure mouth ulcers.
- Boil two teaspoon of dried sage in 8 ounces of water.
- Let the herb infuse in this water for the next 10 minutes.
- Swish this herbal water in your mouth for a few minutes and then spit it out.
- Clean your mouth with plain water.
- avoid eating foods such as nuts, chips, salty foods, certain spices, coffee, chocolate that may cause irritation in your mouth.
- Avoid talking to anyone while chewing your food.
- Don’t use mouthwash and toothpaste that have sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Keep stress away
- Eat a lot of vegetables, fruits and increase your water intake.
- Brush your teeth daily and also before sleeping. Use soft brushes and good gentle mouthwash to prevent irritation.
- Go for food that can be easily swallowed such as soup, juices or yogurt.
- Drink cold drinks like iced tea, water. Use a straw, so that, the fluid does not touch the sores.