In this article, we will tell you ways to get rid of pink eye. Sometimes, when you rub your eyes to stop itching, but they don’t stop itching. After some time they get red and swollen. This is nothing but pink eye or conjunctivitis. It causes the inflammation of the outer layer and inside of the eyelid. This leads to discharge and burning sensation. This is more common in children’s than adults. Pink eye does not affect vision. Pink eye is not a serious trouble, it is a highly communicable disease which spreads from person to person. It can cause discomfort for some time, but if not taken seriously, it leads to serious eye damage.
Causes of Pink Eye:
- Eye drops
- Eye ointments
- Bacterial or viral infection
Remedies to Get Rid of Pink Eye:
- Remedies to Get Rid of Pink Eye:
- 1.) Honey to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 2.) Herbal Tea to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 3.) Salt Water to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 4.) Potato to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 5.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 6.) Charcoal Dust to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 7.) Barberry Root to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 8.) Castor Oil to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 9.) Boric Acid Diluted to Treat Pink Eye
- 10.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 11.) Practice Good Hygiene to Get rid of Pink Eye
- 12.) Calendula to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 13.) Compress to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 14.) Eye drops to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- 15.) Avoid Contact Lenses to Get Rid of Pink Eye
1.) Honey to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Applying honey reduces the amount of bacteria present in and around the eye during pink eye. Honey clears the infection with less effect, and also heals with minimal scar formation. Honey has antimicrobial properties which heals the infection caused by bacteria and fungi.
- Take a teaspoon raw honey, half cup pure water, and pinch of salt.
- Dissolve honey and salt in lukewarm water. Use a clean dropper and place a drop in each eye after regular intervals as needed.
2.) Herbal Tea to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Chamomile, Fennel or Eyebright teas are used to make hot compresses. Tea is good for eye irritation and inflammation. Tea can also be used to wash the eyes. Eyebright can also be taken in capsule or oral form.
- Take a tea bag and distilled water.
- Boil the water with tea bag and strain the mixture.
- Wash the eyes gently.
3.) Salt Water to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Salt water helps in getting rid of pink eye. Salt contains anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties which help to heal the infection of pink eye.
- Boil one cup of water with half teaspoon of salt.
- Let the mixture get cooled.
- Use an eye dropper and place 2 drops in the eye to get relief.
- Rinse after regular intervals.
4.) Potato to Get Rid of Pink Eye
The Potato has the properties to absorb infection and other germs from pink eye. It is a natural astringent. Potato are rich in carbohydrates and vitamin C. Potato also helps in skin disorder also.
- Place a raw slice of potato on the eye to heal pink eye.
- Potato mash can also be made and applied directly on the affected to cure.
5.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- Aloe Vera has the properties to cure pink eye and other skin disorders.
- Soak a piece of cloth in Aloe Vera juice and then place on the affected eye.
- You can use it as eyewash also.
6.) Charcoal Dust to Get Rid of Pink Eye
- Take half teaspoon of sea salt and a teaspoon of charcoal dust.
- Boil the charcoal dust and sea salt with 1 cup of water and let it cool.
- Strain the mixture with muslin cloth.
- Drop two to three drops of the mixture in the pink eye.
- Apply the procedure after regular intervals.
7.) Barberry Root to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Barberry root contains chemicals that help to fight inflammation in the eye and cause a stronger heartbeat. It contains alkaloids and protoberberines. Barberry root is used in jams, jellies and juices. It is antioxidant and antidiarrheal in nature.
- Take a cup of water and powdered barberry about 50 grams.
- Boil the water and barberry for 5 minutes.
- Strain it in another cup with muslin cloth.
- Wash your eye with it at regular intervals.
8.) Castor Oil to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Castor oil works instantly to remove the infection of pink eye. Castor oil also removes tiredness of the eyes. It works similarly like petroleum jelly. Before going to bed, just put some castor oil around your eyes and on eyelashes also. You will get some relief from the pink eye next morning only. You will feel more refreshed and relaxed in the morning. Drop at least three times a day for fast relief.
9.) Boric Acid Diluted to Treat Pink Eye
- Boric acid is antiseptic and has a cleansing nature.
- It is often used as eyewash.
- Take one teaspoon of boric acid and a cup of water.
- Boil it for 5 minutes.
- Wash it with for 3 to 4 times a week.
- You can soak the cloth in it and place it on the eyes for 10 to 20 minutes.
10.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Turmeric is an integral part of Ayurveda and Ayurvedic medicines. It is used for a variety of health diseases like pink eye and skin problems. Turmeric contains Curcumin that has anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric can be used on burns also, it works by dehydrating the pores. Turmeric is a natural steroid and antibiotic and is harmless.
- Take a glass of water and a teaspoon of turmeric.
- Boil the water with turmeric.
- Use the water as an eye compress to get rid of pink eye.
11.) Practice Good Hygiene to Get rid of Pink Eye
Pink eye is highly communicable. If one person in the family is having pink eye, be on the protected side and go for good hygiene. Wash your hands properly with soap rather than water alone. Use a different towel from other members. Don’t come in frequent contact with the infected person. These small tips will make you more protected from pink eye.
12.) Calendula to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Calendula has the properties of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. It can soothe and heal the eyes having infection and swollen eyelids.
- Pour 2 teaspoons of dried calendula in a cup of water.
- Boil the water and calendula together for 5 minutes.
- Dip a cotton in the solution after getting cold and apply to pink eye.
- Cover for 20 minutes.
13.) Compress to Get Rid of Pink Eye
To make a compress for pink eye, soak a lint-free, clean cloth in water and squeeze it out. Then press your closed eyes with it gently for a few minutes three to four times a day. A cool water compress will make you feel the most relaxing. But you can also use a hot compress if that feels satisfied with you. If pink eye is in one eye only, then avoid touching both eyes with the same cloth or towel. This lowers the risk of spreading an infection from one eye to the other.
14.) Eye drops to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Artificial tears are over-the-counter eye drops that may relieve pink eye symptoms. These eye drops contain anti-allergic and antihistamines that can be useful for people with allergic pink eye. Avoid eye drops for Sticky eye because they try to work for a while then cause redness again. Try to consult a doctor or eye specialist when taking any eye drops for pink eye.
15.) Avoid Contact Lenses to Get Rid of Pink Eye
Avoid wearing contact lenses, until your eyes feel better. Avoid contact lenses till you don’t know the cause of pink eye. Sometimes contact lenses are the major reason of pink eye. When you remove it again and again from the eye it comes in contact with dust and infection making your eye infected. Ask your eye specialist whether you should dispose of your contact lenses. If your lenses are not reusable, wash them thoroughly before using them again.