If you ever had a sinus infection, then you know the pain and uneasiness. But the problem is how to get rid of sinus infection? In this article, you will learn different ways to treat a sinus infection. A sinus infection is also known as “Sinusitis”. Sinus infection is basically a combination of both inflammation and congestion of the sinuses. It usually happens due to a virus. However, it can also cause by fungi and bacteria. Sinuses moisten the air you breathe and build up mucus in nasal. A sinus infection can be caused by cold that causes inflammation and swelling of the sinuses. This lead to a buildup of mucus. Therefore, it blocks the sinuses. There are many conditions that can cause a sinus infection. This includes nasal polyps, allergies and tissue irritants. Symptoms of sinus infections include such as pain, headache, pressure, sore throat, cough, fever and discolored nasal discharge. To relieve these symptoms of sinus infection, you can use some natural home remedies and over the counter supplements.
Types of Sinus Infection:
There are three types of a sinus infection.
- Acute Sinusitis- This type of sinusitis does not go away after 10 to 14 days. It stays till 4 weeks or less. It includes symptoms like stuffy nose, runny nose, and facial pain.
- Subacute Sinusitis- This type of sinusitis lasts 4 to 8 weeks.
- Chronic Sinusitis- Sinus inflammation symptoms lasts 8 weeks or longer.
- Recurrent Sinusitis- Many attacks within a year.
Symptoms of Sinus Infection:
- Pain and fever
- Facial pain
- Cough and sore throat
- Discolored and cloudy nasal drainage.
- Nasal stuffiness
Causes of Sinus Infection:
- Tiny holes which connect your nasal passages to your sinuses get blocked. Then a sticky liquid(gunk) build up in your sinuses, germs can grow.
- Most of the sinusitis start with a cold. Hence cold occur due to a virus, which can block the holes and can make nasal tissue swell.
- Allergies often occur with sinus infections. Because inflammation may block the nasal passages.
- Bacterial infections may also cause sinus infections. As bacterial infections occur due to cold.
- Pollutants and allergens in the air like outdoor air pollution, dust and strong odors like perfume may irritate your nose and cause inflammation which increases the chances of a sinus infection.
Best Remedies to Get Rid of Sinus Infection:
A sinus infection basically happens due to a virus. There are some ways to get rid of sinus infection that are listed below.
1.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Sinus Infection Naturally
Turmeric is one of the best natural remedies for treating a sinus infection. Turmeric contains antiviral, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties that can treat congestion and sinus infections. It contains an active compound called curcumin that helps to heal the inflammation in the sinus cavity and clean the airways.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Treat Sinus Infection Fast:
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder in a glass of hot water.
- Use this warm water for gargling. You can also add one teaspoon of turmeric powder in it. And, add a little honey to a glass of hot milk.
- Drink it daily until you get relief from a sinus infection.
- An alternate method is to make a paste by blending 2 pieces of turmeric root, one teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, a pinch of cayenne pepper, 1 banana and one-half cup of water. Drink this smoothie daily for some days to get best results.
2.) Oil of Oregano to Get Rid of Sinus Infection Naturally
Oil of oregano contains antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps to reduce inflammation. It also acts as an immune booster and antioxidant.
Steps to Use Oil of Oregano to Cure Sinus Infection Fast:
- Boil a one-half cup of water. Add a couple of drops of the oil of oregano to it.
- To open up the sinuses and clear the congestion, inhale the steam from this solution.
- Repeat it daily until the infection is gone.
- An alternate method, take a glass of water and add 2 to 3 drops of oregano oil in water. Drink this solution 2 times daily until the infection is gone.
- Another method is to put a drop or 2 of the oil below your tongue for at least a week until you get relief.
3.) Supplements to Get Rid of Sinus Infection Fast
- Supplements are really helpful for sinusitis.
- Nutrients like curcumin (500mg), vitamin C (2000 to 4000 mg) and essential fatty acids(1000mg) should be taken once or twice a day.
- Vitamin D and vitamin A is an effective supplement for sinus infections.
4.) Stay Hydrated to Get Rid of Sinus Infection
- Drink lots of water daily. Hot tea, no sugar added juices and clear broth can also be consumed.
- These fluids will help to move out mucus. It also helps to remove it from irritated sinuses.
- Avoid drinking alcohol, sugar beverages, caffeine as well as smoking.
- These substances will dehydrate your overall system which causes to mucus to thicken.
5.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Cure Sinus Infection Fast
Apple cider vinegar contains antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties will help to cure sinus infections. Apple cider vinegar prevents sinus infection from developing.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Relief from Sinus Infection:
- Combine two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with a cup of warm water.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to it. For five days, drink this solution 3 to 4 times a day.
6.) Steam to Treat Sinus Infection Fast & Naturally
- By taking steam, you can drain out mucus.
- Add few drops of Eucalyptus or peppermint oil in hot water.
- Bend your face down over the water.
- Use a towel to cover your head and inhale the steam.
- For steam, machines are also available in the market.
7.) Use Garlic to Get Rid of Sinus Infection Naturally
Garlic is a natural antibiotic and antifungal remedy to fight sinus infections.
Steps to Use Garlic to Treat Sinus Infection Fast:
- Take two garlic cloves and chop them.
- Add them in a boiling water. Inhale the steam of this garlic water for a few minutes.
- Repeat this remedy for a few minutes until you get relief.
- Alternatively, you can also eat 2 to 3 fresh garlic cloves.
- You can also include cayenne pepper, garlic, onion, and horseradish in your soups and meals to treat excess mucus.
8.) Onion to Prevent Sinus Infection Naturally
Onion is one of the best home remedies to get rid of a sinus infection without antibiotics. Onion acts as an excellent decongestant to treat your sinuses. Onion also contains sulphur compounds that fight with fungi and bacteria.
Steps to Use Onion to Clear Sinus Infection Fast:
- Take an onion and chop them into small pieces.
- Put these pieces in a pot of water. Boil it for 5 minutes and then take steam for a few minutes.
- Then strain this solution and drink it. Until the congestion clears, do it for about a week.
9.) Nasal Irrigation to Cure Sinus Infection Fast
Nasal irrigation is highly effective for sinus infections. It removes out mucus from your sinuses. Also, it moistens the nasal tissues. Here is the method to do it.
Steps to Use Nasal Irrigation for Sinus Infection Treatment:
- Add 1 tsp of sea salt and one-half tsp of hydrogen peroxide in a glass of warm water.
- Use irrigation device to use this solution for nasal irrigation.
- Do this once a day for some days until you get relief.
- Don’t use it more often as it may irritate the mucous membranes.
10.) Ginger to Get Rid of Sinus Infection Naturally
Ginger has antibiotic, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to get rid of sinus infection. Ginger contains polyphenols which are helpful in reducing the secretion of mucus.
Steps to Use Ginger to Cure Sinus Infection Fast:
- Cut fresh ginger into small slices.
- Boil one cup of water. Add slices of ginger in it for 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution. Add some honey and lemon juice in it.
- Drink it daily for a week until you get the desired results.
- Avoid swimming because pool water contains chlorine. It can cause irritation in the lining of the sinus.
- Add cayenne pepper to your diet as it will help you to treat sinus infection.
- Use peppermint oil to massage your affected areas as peppermint has soothing properties and gives relief.
- Yoga is beneficial for relieving sinus infections.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Apply heat to the affected to get relief from sinus infection.
- Consult a doctor in severe condition.