Toenail fungus is a very common problem and also known as Onychomycosis. It is basically a fungal infection which happens due to abnormal changes in pH levels of the skin, weak immune system, diabetes, and moist environment. If not treated initially, the infection spreads and becomes painful and incurable. Read the article to know how to get rid of toenail fungus? The article will benefit you as the remedies in this article are natural and inexpensive.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus:
- Inflammation of Nail
- Swelling of Nail
- Yellowing of Nail
- Thickening of Nail
- Crumbling of Nail
Remedies to get Rid of Toenail Fungus:
1.) Listerine Mouthwash to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Listerine contains alcohol and other chemical compounds which are antiseptic in nature. The antiseptic nature kills the bacteria and germs in the mouth, which can also be used for toenail fungus.
- In a tub pour two teaspoons of listerine mouthwash and some amount of water which is sufficient to soak your affected foot.
- Soak your foot in the solution for 20 to 30 minutes, and then rub your toenail gently.
- Rinse it and dry it softly.
- Do this daily for a few days until the infection clears.
2.) Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
The citric acidic nature of lemon helps to fight out the toenail fungus. As lemon juice is rich in antiseptic and anti-fungal properties it clears the infection and soothes the skin.
- Apply the mixture of lemon juice and olive oil in equal quantity to affected toe.
- Take a teaspoon both of lemon juice and olive oil. Apply the mixture to toe and gently massage for 5 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Olive oil will soothe the skin, while lemon juice will remove infection completely.
- Do this remedy daily until the fungal infection clear.
3.) Garlic to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Allicin and ajoene are the main compounds of garlic. These compounds make garlic anti-fungal and antiseptic in properties. You can use garlic both in the form of a paste or oil.
- Take some garlic cloves and fry them in three teaspoons of olive oil.
- Strain the oil and apply to your affected toe.
- Cover your toe with a bandage and rest it for a few hours.
- Repeat the method two times a day for a few days.
- Apply the paste to your toe and cover it with bandage for one hour.
4.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Tea tree oil has properties of being an antiseptic as well as anti-fungal. Tea tree oil also helps to get rid of toenail fungus in a fast and effective manner. The anti-bacterial and immense healing power of tea oil helps in getting rid of infection and pain by fungus.
- Take 5-10 drops of tea tree oil with 1 cup water. Use a soft cloth or cotton to apply the mixture on affected areas of your toe. Repeat at regular intervals for better result.
- Don’t apply directly tea tree oil to affected area as it can cause irritation, drying and redness of skin. Always dilute tree tea oil with water.
5.) Orange Oil to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Orange oil can be used to treat infected toenails because it has anti-fungal properties. Research has shown that orange oil has some side effects also, so apply orange oil on a small stain of skin before applying it to infected toenail.
- Apply the orange oil with the help of cotton swab on the infected toe.
- Leave it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Apply this two times daily for a few days until you see improvement.
6.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Baking soda is easily available in your nearby stores and even in your kitchen. Baking soda dries out the toenail infection. It also soothes the skin by providing relief to itching and inflammation. It has other properties like antiseptic and anti-inflammatory which helps in healing the toenail fungus.
- Take half cup of water, add baking soda to make a paste.
- Apply this paste to your foot affected area for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with water and apply this after regular intervals.
- Follow the procedure for a few days until the infection disappears.
7.) White Vinegar to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
To treat any skin infection than white vinegar is one of the best as it is easily available and is anti-fungal in nature. It also helps to balance the pH of skin, which lowers the inflammation and pain of toe.
- Mix a cup of warm water with two teaspoons of white vinegar.
- Soak your affected toenail in this mixture for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off and rub it softly with a cloth to dry it.
- Repeat the remedy two times in a day.
8.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Apple cider vinegar is an excellent home remedy to treat any fungal disorder whether it is toenail fungus, or other skin problems. It is helpful in managing the pH level of the skin by diluting extra acid of the stomach. Dilute apple cider vinegar with water as it sometimes causes irritation.
- Apply some apple cider vinegar with help of cotton swab on your affected areas.
- Rest it for a few minutes and then remove the cotton swab.
- Do this 3 to 4 times a day until the infection disappears.
9.) Olive Oil to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Olive oil helps in providing moisture to the skin of toe lost due to toenail. It heals and make skin smooth as it is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants. It reduces itching and redness of the skin too.
- Rub a few drops of extra virgin olive oil or a combination of olive oil and honey on your toenail. Gently massage for few minutes two times a day.
- You can also add a pinch of turmeric powder to some olive oil and apply on your toenail.
10.) Oregano Oil to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
Oregano oil is in use for centuries for getting rid of toenail fungus. It has all the properties for healing toenail fungus like anti-fungal, antiseptic, antiviral, analgesic, antiseptic and antibacterial.
- Mix two teaspoons of both olive and oregano oil.
- Apply it to your toenail directly and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse it off and apply it regularly for fast healing.
11.) Cornmeal to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
One of the unique home remedies for toenail fungus is cornmeal. It naturally consist a type of fungus that is safe to the human body but fatal to Candida. Candida is the most ordinary fungal parasite that causes infections in toenail.
- In a bathtub, mix one cup of cornmeal and about two jars of water.
- Allow the cornmeal to mix in the water thoroughly for at least one hour then soak the toenail foot in the mixture for an hour.
- Many people have reported success with this when applied once per week.
- Cornmeal is totally harmless to nails and skin, realistically the cure can be repeated as often as you like.
12.) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus
The high content of Caprylic acid, in coconut oil one of the medium-chain fatty acids, has the ability to go through the tough cell wall of Candida and other fungi. When the protective coating of the cells is ruptured the fungus dissolve, removing the infection fast.
- Apply some coconut oil thin layer to toenail fungus and let it absorb the oil in for at least ten minutes.
- Coconut oil is highly beneficial for skin health, so there is no limit to how often you can follow this treatment.
- Make sure you aren’t allergic to coconuts, before using coconut oil to sensitive tissue.