This article will tell you the various methods to heal a broken toe. A broken toe is also called hairline or a stress fracture. A fractured or broken toe is a common problem. This can be due to an injury to the toe or foot or through a dropping of a heavy object on your toe. A broken toe is very painful. If it is not treated immediately it can result in swelling. Though, the broken toe can be treated at home. However, consulting a doctor is a better option. It will save your toe from the severe damage. In his article, we have listed some of the remedies that will help you to heal a broken toe.
Symptoms of Broken Toe:
Causes of Broken Toe:
- A broken toe is often caused by injury or by dropping a heavy object on the toe.
- Repetitive movements in sports activities which lead to a stress fracture or hairline fracture.
How Long Does it Take to Heal a Broken Toe?
A broken and fractured toe is a common injury and it is caused by hitting the toe on something or by dropping a heavy object on the foot. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to heal though severe injuries may take longer.
Best Remedies to Heal a Broken Toe:
A broken toe is very painful and you need to treat it fast. Here are some remedies that will help you to heal the broken toe.
1.) Medicines to Heal a Broken Toe
Medicines such as naproxen sodium (Aleve) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others) will give you relief from the pain. However, if the pain is severe then ask your doctor for strong painkillers that won’t harm you in other ways,
2.) Rest to Heal a Broken Toe
- Rest is very important to treat a broken toe.
- Take a complete bed rest to heal your broken toe.
- Avoid prolonged running, walking, standing and strenuous exercise.
- Wear a special boot or shoe while walking to avoid pressure on the broken toe.
3.) Ice to Heal a Broken Toe Fast
Ice is also an effective remedy for a fractured toe. Ice is beneficial to reduce the swelling and numb the pain.
Steps to Use Ice to Treat a Broken Toe:
- Take a plastic bag and put some ice cubes in it.
- Then place it on the fractured toe for 15 to 20 minutes.
- However, do not place it directly on the toe.
- To protect the skin put a towel between the skin and the ice.
- You can also use frozen peas and corn instead of ice.
- Repeat this for 1 to 2 hours in a day for first few days.
4.) Buddy Taping to Cure a Broken Toe
One of the best ways to stabilize your toe is buddy tape.
- Wrap the tape around the fractured toe and the toe next to it. This will keep your toe stable.
- With the help of alcohol, use wipes to clean the toe thoroughly.
- Then cover your toe with a strong medical-grade tape.
- It will avoid contact with water.
- Change the tape regularly.
- Moreover, to avoid the further irritation, you can place felt or gauze in between the toe before covering it with the tape.
5.) Yogurt to Heal a Broken Toe Faster
Yogurt contains amino acids which are building blocks of protein. It also contains calcium which helps to heal fractured bones. This amino acid will promote bone mass by increasing the absorption of calcium. As you know bones are made up of calcium and phosphorous, so yogurt will also help you to heal the broken toe. Eat yogurt daily to cure a broken toe.
6.) Oranges to Treat a Broken Toe Fast
Orange is one of the best home remedies for treating broken or fractured toe. Orange will also help you to cure the broken toe. Orange is a good source of vitamin C that works as an anti-inflammatory agent and helpful in reducing pain. Vitamin C is helpful to boost the immune system that helps to heal fractured toe faster. Eat oranges daily until your toe gets relief.
7.) Milk to Heal a Broken Toe Naturally
Milk is a good source of calcium and proteins. Both the nutrients repair the fractured bones. Milk also helps to boost the immune system. Moreover, it also contains other vitamins which keep your bones healthy and strong. So drink a glass of milk daily to heal a broken toe. Alternatively, you can also mix a dash of turmeric in the lukewarm milk and drink it before going to the bed.
8.) Broccoli to Cure a Broken Toe
Broccoli is considered as one of the best foods for healing broken bones. It is rich in vitamin K and minerals that help to form a bone mass. Vitamin K can heal the broken bone faster because it is associated with the process of mineralization. So include a broccoli in your diet to treat your broken toe and keep your bones healthy.
9.) Intake of Calcium to Heal a Broken Toe
Calcium plays a vital role in keeping bones healthy and strong. Include calcium-rich foods in your diet to speed up the recovery. Green leafy vegetables, kale, dairy products, fruits, broccoli etc. are a good source of calcium.
10.) Get Reduction Surgery to Heal a Broken Toe
If your broken toe does not align together then consult the orthopedic surgeon. With the help of reduction therapy, he will treat your broken toe. The doctor will inject the anesthetic to numb your pain. If the problem is minor then he will close the wound with stitches. However, if the fracture is severe then screws or pins will be required to hold the bones and treat the broken toe.
11.) Valerian Tincture to Heal a Broken Toe
Valerian is an essential herbal remedy that is mainly used to treat insomnia. It also acts as a tonic and a mild sedative to reduce the pain. Moreover, its medicinal properties help to heal a broken toe. You can add the herb to your tea or any other beverage.
12.) Elevation to Treat Broken Toe Fast
- To reduce the pain and swelling, raise your foot as much as you can.
- By putting several pillows pop your foot up as much as possible especially at bedtime.
- Reclining in a lounge chair is also very beneficial.
- This is one of the best methods to treat your broken toe faster.
Other Useful Tips:
- Wear comfortable shoes for 4 to 6 weeks.
- After 10 days, switch from an ice therapy to moist heat as it will help you to soothe a broken toe and promote blood flow.
- Acupuncture is also helpful to give pain relief and helps to reduce inflammation.
- Don’t put pressure on your foot.