After writing, how to get rid of a cough?, how to get rid of canker sores?, how to get rid of cold sores?, and home remedies for fever blisters, we are now writing the best ways to help a sore throat. Irritating, painful and itchy throat is such a very annoying problem. Most sore throats are caused by viruses or bacterial infections such as cold. In a sore throat, you have to face difficulty while talking and swallowing. Some sore throat is caused by minor illness and they do not need any treatment. But some are caused by major illness and they should be treated on time.
There are some other reasons also that may cause a sore throat such as fungal, bacterial or viral infections, acid reflux, smoking, pollution, excessive shouting, dry air and some other allergic reaction. When you suffer from a sore throat, you may feel stomach ache, common cold, headache and swollen glands in the neck. A sore throat is very painful and makes you feel uncomfortable. There are some medications and some home treatments which will help a sore throat. Some home remedies give you instant relief from a sore throat. So follow these treatments to help a sore throat and its symptoms.
Symptoms of a Sore Throat:
- Dry throat
- Pain in the throat
- Difficulty while swallowing
- Swollen and red tonsils
- Pus on your tonsils
- Hoarse voice
Causes of Sore Throat:
- Viral Infection
- Bacterial Infection
- Environmental factors
- Excessive shouting
Best Remedies to Help a Sore Throat:
Below are some simple and effective treatments to help a sore throat.
1.) Garlic to Help a Sore Throat Naturally
Garlic is a natural remedy that can kill the bacteria causing pain and irritation in the throat. The antibacterial and antifungal properties in garlic helps to treat a sore throat.
- Take a garlic clove and cut it into two pieces.
- Suck this garlic piece like a cough drop.
- You can also crush the garlic clove with your teeth which will release allicin.
- Do it once daily until you get relief from a sore throat.
2.) Gargle with Salt Water to Treat Sore Throat
It has been proved from studies that gargling several times a day with hot salt water can reduce inflammation in the throat. Don’t use salt in excess quantity, otherwise it will cause more damage to your sore throat. It also makes sure that the neck muscles are relaxed, helping to destroy out irritants or bacteria. Doctors generally recommend dissolving a teaspoon of salt in half a litre water. If the salty taste is not your thing, try adding a small amount of honey to sweeten the mixture slightly. Salt is best for natural care, as it is easily available.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Help a Sore Throat Fast
Apple cider vinegar works well for a sore throat due to its high acidic levels which kill bacteria efficiently. When you mix it with honey, it soothes the soreness in the throat.
- Take 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp of honey and mix it well.
- Then add it to a cup of warm water.
- Drink this solution while it is warm.
4.) Steam to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Steam is very helpful to get rid of congestion and also make it easier to breathe.
- Boil a 1 medium pot of water. Then cover your head with a towel to inhale the steam properly.
- If you want soothing effects, then add a few drops of eucalyptus to it.
- It will definitely give you relief from a sore throat. Inhale steam once a day for some days.
5.) Cayenne to Treat Sore Throat
Cayenne is one of the best remedies to kick a sore throat. Drinking warm water with cayenne helps to make you feel better. Cayenne contains a chemical compound called capsaicin, which helps to relieve pain.
- Boil a cup of water and add half tsp of cayenne pepper to it.
- Then add 1 tsp of honey in it and stir it well.
- Drink this solution throughout the day.
6.) Licorice Tea to Help Sore Throat Naturally & Fast
Licorice root tea is a natural remedy to treat a sore throat due to its anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. Licorice root helps to reduce irritation and swelling and also it will soothe the mucus membranes in your throat.
- Mix 1 cup chopped dry licorice root, half cup cinnamon chips, 2 tbsp whole cloves and a half cup of chamomile flowers in a bowl.
- If you want to use it for a long time, then store it in a glass jar away from heat and light.
- Prepare the tea by combining 3 tbsp of the tea and add it to two and a half cups of cold water in a pan.
- Then boil it and simmer for ten minutes. Then drink this licorice root tea slowly.
7.) Lemon to Help a Sore Throat Fast & Naturally
Using fresh lemons is a good option to get rid of a sore throat as it helps to remove the mucus.
- Add lemon juice and 1 tsp of honey in 1 cup of warm water. Sip this hot lemonade slowly.
- You can also gargle with lemon juice diluted with an equal amount of warm water.
- Another option is to lick the lemon by sprinkling salt and pepper over it.
8.) Turmeric to Help a Sore Throat Naturally
Another best home remedy is turmeric, which has strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Add one-quarter tsp of turmeric powder into a glass of warm water.
- Drink this turmeric water slowly in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Do it once daily for 3 to 4 days.
- Another method to soothe a sore throat is that you can gargle with turmeric solution.
9.) Fenugreek to Help a Sore Throat Instantly
One of the best home remedies to treat a sore throat is fenugreek seeds. Due to having mucus dissolving properties in fenugreek it will give you instant relief from inflammation and pain.
- Add 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds to 6 cups of water.
- Boil it for 30 minutes and let it cool at room temperature.
- Strain the solution and gargle with this solution 3 to 4 times a day.
10.) Honey to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Honey is the natural product that has been in use for centuries, with its natural healing powers. Adding bee’s honey to warm water or tea is considered a fast treatment for a sore throat. It also helps get rid of cough. Add two teaspoons of honey in a big glass of water and drinking it at regular intervals for fast relief. Honey helps to soothe the throat from inside by making a thin layer around the throat.
11.) Marshmallow Root to Help a Sore Throat Naturally
Since it is very hard to say whether it works, as there is no proper evidence to show its soothing powers. The extract from the plant is being used for centuries with boiling water to treat coughs, colds, and swollen throats.
According to research and reports, marshmallows can help in providing relief to sore throat pain. If your throat is swollen and it is not possible to swallow anything, marshmallows might provide some relief. The reason behind marshmallows success is due to its sticky gel substance which makes a layer around the throat, which helps to swallow properly without pain.
Additional Useful Tips to Help a Sore Throat:
- Don’t smoke and drink alcohol.
- Suck hard candies or throat lozenges.
- Eat soothing foods such as soft fruits, yogurt, cooked cereal, soups and broths.
- Use a humidifier to ease the pain in the throat.
- Take plenty of rest to strengthen the body.
- Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration.