Irritating, painful and itchy throat is such a very annoying problem. Most sore throats are caused by viruses or bacterial infections such as cold. In a sore throat, you have to face difficulty while talking and swallowing. Some sore throat is caused by minor illness and they do not need any treatment. But some are caused by major illness and they should be treated on time.There are some other reasons also that may cause a sore throat such as fungal, bacterial or viral infections, acid reflux, smoking, pollution, excessive shouting, dry air and some other allergic reaction. When you suffer from a sore throat, you may feel stomach ache, common cold, headache and swollen glands in the neck. A sore throat is very painful and makes you feel uncomfortable. There are some medications and some home treatments which will help a sore throat. Some home remedies give you instant relief from a sore throat. So follow these treatments to help a sore throat and its symptoms.
Symptoms of a Sore Throat:
- Dry throat
- Pain in the throat
- Difficulty while swallowing
- Swollen and red tonsils
- Pus on your tonsils
- Hoarse voice
Causes of Sore Throat:
- Viral Infection
- Bacterial Infection
- Environmental factors
- Excessive shouting
Best Remedies to Help a Sore Throat:
Below are some simple and effective treatments to help a sore throat.
1.) Garlic to Help a Sore Throat Naturally
Garlic is a natural remedy that can kill the bacteria causing pain and irritation in the throat. The antibacterial and antifungal properties in garlic helps to treat a sore throat.
Steps to Use Garlic to Get Rid of a Sore Throat Fast:
- Take a garlic clove and cut it into two pieces.
- Suck this garlic piece like a cough drop.
- You can also crush the garlic clove with your teeth which will release allicin.
- Do it once daily until you get relief from a sore throat.
2.) Gargle with Salt Water to Treat Sore Throat
Gargling with warm salt water helps to reduce the swelling and also shrinks the swollen cell and you will get relief from pain. It also drains out the excess mucus. It also helps get rid of cough.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Cure a Sore Throat Fast:
- Heat 1 cup of water and add half tsp of table salt to it.
- Gargle with this warm salt water.
- Repeat it 3 times a day.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Help a Sore Throat Fast
Apple cider vinegar works well for a sore throat due to its high acidic levels which kill bacteria efficiently. When you mix it with honey, it soothes the soreness in the throat.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Prevent Sore Throat:
- Take 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp of honey and mix it well.
- Then add it to a cup of warm water.
- Drink this solution while it is warm.
4.) Steam to Get Rid of Sore Throat
Steam is very helpful to get rid of congestion and also make it easier to breathe.
Steps to Use Steam to Treat a Sore Throat:
- Boil a 1 medium pot of water. Then cover your head with a towel to inhale the steam properly.
- If you want soothing effects, then add a few drops of eucalyptus to it.
- It will definitely give you relief from a sore throat. Inhale steam once a day for some days.
5.) Cayenne to Treat Sore Throat
Cayenne is one of the best remedies to kick a sore throat. Drinking warm water with cayenne helps to make you feel better. Cayenne contains a chemical compound called capsaicin, which helps to relieve pain.
Steps to Use Cayenne to Get Rid of a Sore Throat:
- Boil a cup of water and add half tsp of cayenne pepper to it.
- Then add 1 tsp of honey in it and stir it well.
- Drink this solution throughout the day.
6.) Licorice Tea to Help Sore Throat Naturally & Fast
Licorice root tea is a natural remedy to treat a sore throat due to its anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. Licorice root helps to reduce irritation and swelling and also it will soothe the mucus membranes in your throat.
Steps to Use Licorice to Get Relief from Sore Throat:
- Mix 1 cup chopped dry licorice root, half cup cinnamon chips, 2 tbsp whole cloves and a half cup of chamomile flowers in a bowl.
- If you want to use it for a long time, then store it in a glass jar away from heat and light.
- Prepare the tea by combining 3 tbsp of the tea and add it to two and a half cups of cold water in a pan.
- Then boil it and simmer for ten minutes. Then drink this licorice root tea slowly.
7.) Lemon to Help a Sore Throat Fast & Naturally
Using fresh lemons is a good option to get rid of a sore throat as it helps to remove the mucus.
Steps to Use Lemon to Treat a Sore Throat:
- Add lemon juice and 1 tsp of honey in 1 cup of warm water. Sip this hot lemonade slowly.
- You can also gargle with lemon juice diluted with an equal amount of warm water.
- Another option is to lick the lemon by sprinkling salt and pepper over it.
8.) Turmeric to Help a Sore Throat Naturally
Another best home remedy is turmeric, which has strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Get Rid of a Sore Throat Fast:
- Add one-quarter tsp of turmeric powder into a glass of warm water.
- Drink this turmeric water slowly in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Do it once daily for 3 to 4 days.
- Another method to soothe a sore throat is that you can gargle with turmeric solution.
9.) Fenugreek to Help a Sore Throat Instantly
One of the best home remedies to treat a sore throat is fenugreek seeds. Due to having mucus dissolving properties in fenugreek it will give you instant relief from inflammation and pain.
Steps to Use Fenugreek to Cure a Sore Throat Fast:
- Add 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds to 6 cups of water.
- Boil it for 30 minutes and let it cool at room temperature.
- Strain the solution and gargle with this solution 3 to 4 times a day.
10.) Marshmallow Root to Help a Sore Throat Naturally
Marshmallow root contains mucilage compound and hence it helps to get rid of sore throat. This remedy is not for pregnant women or diabetic people.
Steps to Use Marshmallow to Get Relief from Sore Throat:
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 1 tbsp of dried marshmallow root to it.
- Allow it to steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain the solution and add a little honey to it.
- Drink this 3 cups of herbal tea once a day.
- Don’t smoke and drink alcohol.
- Suck hard candies or throat lozenges.
- Eat soothing foods such as soft fruits, yogurt, cooked cereal, soups and broths.
- Use a humidifier to ease the pain in the throat.
- Take plenty of rest to strengthen the body.
- Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration.