This article is about how to get rid of vaginal odor. Vaginal odor is a common problem that many women have to face. Vaginal odor can be caused by a number of reasons, such as:
- Bacterial growth
- Poor Hygiene
- Hormonal changes
- Yeast infections
- Sexually transmitted diseases.
If the problem is caused due to infection, there may be following symptoms which you can notice down there. These include:
A fishy odor in the vaginal area is mainly caused by bacterial vaginosis. No matter what is the cause, vaginal odor can be quite embarrassing. There are many home remedies which can help get rid of vaginal odor. Some of the remedies are listed below.
Remedies to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor Naturally and Fast
1.) Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor Fast and Naturally
Tea tree oil has strong anti-fungal and antiseptic properties. Hence, it can be used effectively to get rid of vaginal odor. Tea tree oil will help get rid of bacteria which are contributing to the problem. Remember not to apply undiluted tea tree oil as it may cause irritation and burning sensation in the applied area.
Directions to Use Tea Tree Oil to Prevent Feminine Odor:
- Mix 3 drops of tea tree oil in a cup of water.
- Use this solution to wash the vaginal area daily or a few times in a week.
- Another way is to dip a tampon in olive oil and then drop a little tea tree oil on it.
- Insert the tampon inside and leave it for an hour.
- Repeat this several times in a week.
- You can also use this oil to treat toenail fungus, acne and for hair as well.
2.) Yogurt to Treat Vaginal Odor
Yogurt is another effective ingredient which can be used to prevent vaginal odor easily. Yogurt is known to be high in Lactobacillus bacteria. This bacteria helps fight Candida infection, which is one of the most common causes of vaginal odor. It also helps restore and maintain the normal vaginal pH level. Once the pH level is maintained, the vaginal odor will be gone.
Directions to Use Yogurt to Get Rid of Fishy Odor:
- Eat 2 cups of unsweetened, plain yogurt ever day.
- You can also opt for probiotic supplements.
- Another way is to soak a tampon in plain yogurt and insert it inside.
- Leave it in for several hours.
- Remove the tampon and wash the area thoroughly.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar For Vaginal Odor Treatment
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is known for its antibacterial and antiseptic qualities. ACV can be used to fight vaginal odor effectively and quickly. Taking a bath with apple cider vinegar is among the simplest ways to get rid of the bad odor. ACV also helps remove toxins and bacteria which are causing vaginal odor. Plus, It also helps restore the acidic quality of the vaginal flora.
Directions to Use ACV to Prevent Feminine Odor:
- Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar in warm bath water and mix it well.
- Soak yourself in it for 20-30 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy several times a week to get fast results.
- Plus, drink a glass of water mixed with 1 or 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar regularly.
- You can also use ACV for acne and weight loss.
4.) Fenugreek to Prevent Vaginal Odor Naturally
Fenugreek is extremely beneficial for women. If consumed on a regular basis, it helps maintain the hormones and encourages regular menstrual cycles. Fenugreek also helps in hormonal balance and regular menstrual cycle. Some researchers even say that properties of fenugreek are quite similar to the female sex hormones i.e. estrogen. Here is the method to use it.
Directions to Use Fenugreek to Prevent Fishy Odor:
- Take 1 or 2 tsp of fenugreek seeds and soak in one cup of water before going to bed.
- Next morning, strain and drink the water on an empty stomach.
- Alternatively, you can Make herbal tea with fenugreek seeds.
- To prepare this tea, boil 1 tsp of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of water.
- Strain and drink it twice daily.
- Remember, fenugreek can cause skin irritation and diarrhea. Discontinue this remedy if you experience these effects.
5.) Indian Lilac/Indica to Treat Vaginal Odor Fast
Indian lilac can also be quite helpful to get rid of vaginal infections. It can help get rid of vaginal odors quickly and easily. It is because of its anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties. It is also useful in preventing from fungi candida which is responsible for causing yeast infection.
Directions to Use Indian Lilac for Vaginal Odor Treatment:
- Take a handful of neem leaves and boil in a pan of water.
- Strain and let it cool.
- Use this solution to wash the vaginal area regularly for a few days or a week.
6.) White Vinegar for Vaginal Odor
White vinegar has the capability to neutralize odors by breaking down the odor proteins. A white vinegar wash can help eliminate vaginal odor faster. It is also helpful in restoring pH levels in the vagina.
Directions to Use White Vinegar for Fishy Odor Treatment:
- Take 1/2 cup each of white vinegar and salt and mix well in lukewarm bath water.
- Soak yourself in it for several minutes.
- Repeat this remedy several times a week.
7.) Baking Soda for Vaginal Odor Treatment
Baking soda is another natural ingredient that can be useful to balance the pH level in the vagina. When the pH level is maintained, the problem of vaginal odor will disappear. Here is the method to do it.
Directions to Use Baking Soda for Fishy Odor Treatment:
- Take ½ cup of baking soda and mix in your bath water.
- Soak your lower body in it for 15-20 minutes.
- Pat yourself dry thoroughly with a clean towel.
- This remedy will help fight any yeast infection and also help get rid of odor quickly and easily.
- You can also use baking soda for yellow teeth and splinter treatment.
8.) Garlic to Avoid Vaginal Odor
Garlic is a known natural antibiotic. It can be an excellent remedy for dealing with vaginal infections and vaginal odor. The anti-fungal properties of garlic helps fight a yeast infection. It also helps the body get rid of bad bacteria.
Directions to Use Garlic to Prevent Smelly Vagina:
- Eat raw or cooked garlic on a daily basis.
- You can also eat 1 or 2 raw garlic cloves with a glass of warm water.
- Eat it every morning on an empty stomach.
- Plus, you can even add garlic cloves or its paste to your salads and dishes.
- Another way is to keep a piece of garlic in the vagina for a couple of hours.
- Repeat this several times daily for a week or until you get rid of the problem.
9.) Indian Gooseberry to Get Rid of Vaginal Odor Naturally
Indian gooseberry can also be used to get rid of vaginal odor effectively. Indian gooseberry acts as a natural blood purifier and organic cleanser. Thus, it can help control the infection, which is responsible for vaginal odor. In addition, this quality ingredient can also be used to prevent problematic leucorrhoea (thick vaginal discharge).
Directions to Use Indian Gooseberry for Vaginal Odor Prevention:
- Just eat Indian gooseberry regularly.
- You can eat it either raw or in other forms such as pickles, powder, juice etc.
10.) Citrus Fruits to get Rid of Vaginal Odor
Citrus foods can also help fight infections more effectively and prevent vaginal odor quickly.Citrus foods are high in Vitamin C. Vitamin C is a proven immune booster which can help remove harmful toxins out of the body. When your immune system is strong, it will allow your body to defend your body from the harmful bacteria which causes vaginal odor. These fruits also help in treating urinary tract infections.
- Eat fruits like oranges, grapes, lemons, sweet limes, grapefruits, cranberries, pineapples and other citrus fruit or vegetables.
Additional Tips for Avoiding Vaginal Odor
- Drink a lot of water throughout the day to get rid of toxins and harmful bacteria present in the body.
- Check for possible symptoms of infection, which could be causing this problem.
- Avoid eating refined carbohydrates, sugary drinks and caffeine.
- Always maintain proper personal hygiene.
- Avoid using perfumed products down there as they may hamper the vaginal pH.
- Always wear 100 percent cotton panties which allow air circulation and help keep the vulva ventilated, thus preventing excessive perspiration.
- If this problem occurs mostly after an intercourse, then simply rinse the vagina with soap and water after sex.