This article is about how to relieve sinus pressure. Sinuses are four pair of air-filled hollow spaces in skull. These sinuses connect directly to your nasal passageways and are thinly lined. Sinuses lie along the mucus membrane. The main purpose of sinuses is to maintain the inside of your nose moist. Sinuses have a thin line layer of mucus but are mostly empty. When these sinuses get blocked due to various reasons like cold, allergies etc, they pain. Factors like cold lead to the blockage sinuses and thus it gets inflamed and irritated. The condition becomes really irritating and you want to get rid of it as soon as possible. Every year, more than 30 million Americans suffer with the symptoms of sinus infection and that is facial pressure, headaches and nasal congestion. In this article, we are going to discuss some of the best remedies that will help you relive sinus pressure. Keep reading to know more about the topic.
Types of Sinus Infection:
There are different types of sinus infections you might be suffering from. Different types of sinus infection are:
- Acute Sinus Infection – This last for less than 30 days.
- Subacute Sinus Infection – This lasts over a month and is less than for three months.
- Chronic Sinus Infection – It lasts for more than three months.
- Recurrent Sinusitis – This is the condition when a person has attacks every year. There confesses on the time period.
- Infection Sinusitis – The condition is caused by virus infection and is less frequent.
- Noninfectious Sinusitis – This condition is caused due to allergic conditions and irritants.
Causes of Sinus Infection:
Here are the common causes of sinus infection. Basically these are the factors that lead to the blockage of nasal passages:
Symptoms of Sinus Infection:
Here are the symptoms that will help you identify that the pain behind your face is sinus pressure. Symptoms of sinus pressure are:
- Facial Tenderness
- Discolored nasal drainage
- Sore throat
- Post nasal drip
- Eye pain
- Bad breath
Home Remedies to Relieve Sinus Pressure:
There are different home remedies that can be used to relieve sinus pressure. These remedies are simple and you can use them according to your comfortable level. Different remedies for Sinus Pressure are:
1.) Nasal Irrigation to Relieve Sinus Pressure
Nasal irrigation is the first thing that you should go for in order to get rid of sinus pressure. It clears the nasal passage and helps get rid of blockage and thus relieves sinus pressure. What you have to do is:
- In a cup of lukewarm water, add half teaspoon of canning salt and a pinch of baking soda.
- Mix it well and use for nasal irrigation.
- Repeat the process thrice a day for best results for a week.
- Take a glass of warm water and add half teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide and a teaspoon of sea salt.
- Use it for nasal irrigation with the help of a bulb.
- Do this process once a day.
- Do not repeat for longer day as it may disturb the mucus membrane.
2.) Use a Humidifier to Relieve Sinus Pressure
The idea is to keep the mucus membrane moist. Nasal pressure is the result of nasal blockage and dryness in the membrane. When these membranes become moist, mucus from the nasal membrane is released easily and thus you get rid of any blockage. So, you are advised to get a humidifier. This increases the level of humidity around you and thus relieves nasal pressure. Also, make sure that you use humidifier in dry days. There is no need to use the humidifier when it is humid outside. The level should be 35 per cent 50 per cent. This is the ideal one to treat your nasal congestion.
3.) Steam to Relieve Sinus Pressure
Steam is also an effective way to treat sinus pressure. This is because of the reason that the nasal blockage is cleared with steam and cold compress. This will help you keep the tissues moist and you will be able to cure sinus pressure fast. What you have to do is:
- Boil some water in a pan.
- Place it on the table and take your face over it.
- Cover your head with a towel so that you can inhale maximum steam.
- This will help clear the blockage and will help you provide immediate relief.
4.) Cayenne Pepper to Relieve Sinus Pressure
This is one of the most effective remedies for sinus pressure. It helps drain the sinuses and provides you relief from the nasal blockage. Along with that, it reduces swelling and helps you get rid of inflammation. It also improves circulation and boosts immune system. You can simply combine a teaspoon of honey with same amount of cayenne pepper and consume it. Consume this mixture a few times a day for best results. Well, you can try another way as well. What you have to do is:
- Take a cup of hot water and add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Drink this mixture thrice a day for best results.
5.) Garlic to Relieve Sinus Pressure
Going for garlic is one of the most effective ways to relieve sinus pressure. This is highly effective if the infection is caused due to bacteria and viruses. You can use garlic in different ways to get relief from it fast and naturally. You can simply chew a few garlic cloves daily to relieve sinus blockage. This will fight of the bacteria causing infection and will also help clear the nasal blockage. You can go for the other ways as well. What you have to do is:
- Boil a glass of water and a few garlic cloves to it.
- While it is boiling, inhale the fumes.
- This will clear the blockage and you will be able to get rid of sinus pressure fast.
6.) Onion to Relieve Sinus Pressure
You can also try onion to get rid of sinus pressure. It has properties that relieves one from sinus pressure and helps you clear nasal blockage. Onion works as an amazing decongestant and open up your sinuses completely. Being high in sulfur compounds, it fights off fungi and bacteria. Follow the given steps to use to onion for sinus pressure.
- Take an onion and chop it well.
- Boil a pot of water and put the onion chops in the pot.
- Allow it to boil for five minutes and while it is boiling, inhale the fumes.
- Strain the liquid and drink it.
- Repeat it a few times day for best results.
7.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Relieve Sinus Pressure
Apple cider vinegar is one of the finest remedies that have been used to treat a number of health problems. It is rich in anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that will help you get rid of sinus infection. It is also high in anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve inflammation and blockage. Using apple cider vinegar has various benefits as it treat cold, flu and allergies and thus treat sinus pressure fast. What you have to do is:
- Take a cup of warm water and add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Also add a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink this thrice a day for best results.
8.) Ginger to Relieve Sinus Pressure
Ginger is also high in anti-inflammatory properties that help you get rid of inflammation of nasal membrane. Along with that, it is also high in antibiotic and antiviral properties. Ginger has a content known as polyohenols that help with the secretion of mucus. You can drink ginger to heal sinus pressure. What you have to do is:
- Boil a cup of water and add an inch of crushed ginger to it.
- Allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and add honey and lemon juice to it.
- Drink this tea a few times a day.
9.) Turmeric to Relieve Sinus Pressure
You can use turmeric to get rid of sinus pressure. It is high in anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties that will help you relieve the pressure fast. Also, it is has a compound known as curcumin that relieves swelling in the sinus cavity. Also, it helps clear the airways. You can simply boil a glass of water and a pinch of turmeric powder to it. Use this water to gargle several times a day. What else you can do is:
- Boil a cup of milk and a pinch of turmeric to it.
- Also add a teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink it daily for best results.
10.) Hot Shower to Relieve Sinus Pressure
Hot shower is one of best ways to get rid of sinus pressure. What you have to do is stand under a hot shower. Inhale and exhale deeply. It will open the nasal membrane and sinus cavity and you will be able to get rid of sinus pressure. Just enjoy a hot shower and treat sinus pressure fast.
Medicines to Relieve Sinus Pressure:
1.) Decongestants to Relieve Sinus Pressure
They are the first thing that you should go for while seeking medicinal help. It helps reduce the swelling of nasal passages and fights of stuffiness. You can find these decongestants in sprays and pills. In spray, you can go for naphazoline, phenylephrine, oxymerazoline. In pills, you can try pseudoephedrine, and phenylephrine. If you are taking pills, then don’t take them for more than a week without consulting your doctor. And, avoid using sprays for more than three days. Never give these medicines to kids under four.
2.) Antihistamines to Relieve Sinus Pressure
You can also go for antihistamines to get rid of sinus pressure. This is best to use if the main reason for sinus pressure is allergy. In this case you should look for allergy medicines that contain anti-histamine properties. This will help you get relieve from sneezing.