Ever wondered about how your bleeding stops on its own when you get an injury to your body? There are tiny colorless blood cells present in our blood. These blood cells help in clotting blood by forming plugs in the blood vessel pores. These blood cells are known as platelets. Platelets are the tiniest of the three major types of blood cells present in our body (other two being RBCs and WBCs). These platelets are produced in our bone marrow. The normal platelet count in a healthy person is usually between 1,50,000 to 4,50,000 platelets per microlitre of blood. When you have platelets in excess of 4,50,000 per microlitre, it can lead to a spontaneous blood clot anywhere in the body parts. If this is left untreated, it can cause heart attacks and stroke. On the other hand, if this platelet count goes below the minimum 1,50,000 per microlitre, it refers to low platelet count. Low platelet count is also known as thrombocytosis in medical terms. With a few lifestyle changes and along with some home made remedies, you can increase a low platelet count fast and naturally. Let us know about the causes and symptoms of low platelet count.
Causes of Low Platelet Count:
- Decrease in the platelet production in your body.
- Viral infection like chickenpox, Hepatitis-C.
- Vitamin-12 or
- Folate deficiency
- Viral Infection
- Exposure to chemotherapy, any radiation or toxic chemicals.
- Too much alcohol consumption.
Symptoms of Low Platelet Count:
- Easily and excessively getting bruised.
- Bleeding on the surface of the skin.
- Heavy menstrual flow
- Blood in urine and stool.
- Bleeding from the nose and gums.
- Fatigue and tiredness
Home Remedies to Increase a Low Platelet Count:
- Home Remedies to Increase a Low Platelet Count:
- 1.) Pumpkin to Increase a Low Platelet Count in Dengue
- 2.) Papaya to Increase a Low Platelet Count Immediately
- 3.) Vitamin C to Increase a Low Platelet Count Naturally
- 4.) Beet-root to Increase a Low Platelet Count Fast
- 5.) Wheatgrass to Increase a Low Platelet Count
- 6.) Indian Gooseberries as a Low Platelet Count Treatment in Dengue
- 7.) Spinach to Increase a Low Platelet Count in Dengue
- 8.) Milk to Increase a Low Platelet Count
- 9.) Sesame Oil to Increase a Low Platelet Count Naturally
- 10.)Drink Water to Increase a Low Platelet Count
1.) Pumpkin to Increase a Low Platelet Count in Dengue
Pumpkin is very helpful food to increase low platelet count in dengue. Pumpkin is a very rich source of Vitamin A. Vitamin A helps effectively in promoting platelet growth. It is also useful in maintaining the production of protein in the cells, which is also very essential to increase the platelet count. Here is the method to do it.
- You can include pumpkin to your diet as a pumpkin puree in your soups, smoothies, stew and baked food.
- Alternatively, you can prepare pumpkin juice as well.
- Extract 1 glass of pumpkin juice and add 2 tsp of honey in it.
- Mix it well before you drink it.
- Drink this juice 2 to 3 times a day.
2.) Papaya to Increase a Low Platelet Count Immediately
Papaya is one of the most significant home remedies to increase low platelet count immediately. Papaya is not just effective as fruit, but its leaves are also very helpful in platelet production. Papaya leaves are very effective in dengue fever as well. Papaya remedy is not only effective, but also promises quick results. Here is the method to use it.
- Take some fresh papaya leaves and ground them.
- Extract the juice out of these grounded leaves.
- You can add a little bit of water to dilute it.
- Drink a half cup of this juice 2 to 3 times a day until your condition improves.
- Other than that, you can simply eat papaya (2-3 servings in a day).
- Also, you can have papaya juice 2-3 times daily.
- Add lemon juice to juice for added benefits.
3.) Vitamin C to Increase a Low Platelet Count Naturally
Increasing the intake of Vitamin C will surely help to raise low platelet count naturally. Vitamin C contains ascorbic acid, which helps in regulating the production of platelet in the body. Being a great antioxidant, Vitamin C also helps in preventing damage caused to the platelet from free-radical. As our body cannot store Vitamin C for later use, one need to maintain the adequate Vitamin C level in the body all the time.
- Eat Foods rich in Vitamin C such as oranges, lemons, tomatoes, spinach, chili pepper, kiwi broccoli, etc.
- Also, you can include Vitamin C supplements to meet your daily need of Vitamin C.
4.) Beet-root to Increase a Low Platelet Count Fast
Beetroot is another one of the most effective home remedies to increase low platelet count fast and naturally. Beetroot is known for its fine natural antioxidant and hemostatic (stops bleeding) properties. So, it helps effectively in the production of platelet faster and effectively. Here is the method to use it.
- Take some fresh beet-root and extract the juice out of it.
- Drink 1/4th cup of this juice 3 to 4 times daily.
- You can add some carrot juice as well for added benefits and better taste.
5.) Wheatgrass to Increase a Low Platelet Count
Another beneficial remedy to improve low platelet count include wheatgrass. Wheatgrass helps adequately in promoting hemoglobin level, RBCs (red blood cells) and WBCs (white blood cells). Wheatgrass contains a rich amount of chlorophyll, which plays an essential role in improving platelet count.
- Simply drink 1-2 tbsp of wheatgrass juice daily.
- Add lemon juice to it for more benefits.
6.) Indian Gooseberries as a Low Platelet Count Treatment in Dengue
Indian gooseberries are a well known Ayurvedic remedy to increase low platelet count effectively and instantly. Gooseberry is a rich source of Vitamin C. It helps boost the immune system and also helps regulate the platelet production in the body. Here is the method to use goosberries for low platelet count treatment.
- Mix half cup each of Gooseberry and honey together.
- Drink it 2 to 3 times daily.
- Eating 2-3 fresh gooseberries every morning on an empty stomach is also very effective in increasing platelet count. You can also make jam or pickles with gooseberries.
7.) Spinach to Increase a Low Platelet Count in Dengue
Spinach is known to be a rich source of Vitamin K. Vitamin K is a very helpful nutrient for treating low platelet condition fast. Vitamin K acts as a good hemostatic agent as it helps in preventing bleeding. Here is the method to use spinach for low platelet count home remedy.
- Include green vegetable salad in your diet.
- Make green smoothies, soups, etc.
- Take some 4-5 leaves of spinach and boil them in 2 cups of water for a few minutes.
- Let it cool down a bit.
- Now, mix it with half glass of fresh tomato juice.
- Drink this juice 2 to 3 times a day to get rid of low platelet count.
8.) Milk to Increase a Low Platelet Count
Milk is a known rich source of calcium. It helps to increase low platelet count fast and naturally. Other than calcium milk has Vitamin K and fibrinogen. Both compounds help improve your body’s blood clotting ability. Absence of calcium slows down the process of clotting if there is an excessive bleeding.
- Drink milk regularly to maintain the level of Vitamin C in the body.
- Other than milk you can go for yogurt, cheese, or other dairy products to meet your daily requirement of calcium.
- It is one of the best home remedies for low platelet count treatment.
9.) Sesame Oil to Increase a Low Platelet Count Naturally
Cold pressed sesame oil is very beneficial to increase low platelet count naturally. Sesame oil offers excellent benefits which regulates the platelet production. It also prevents platelet from inflammation and damage caused by free-radical.
- Drink ¼ cup of fine sesame oil 2 times a day to increase low platelet count.
- Use of cold pressed sesame oil in cooking is more beneficial.
- As cold pressed oil keeps its nutritional value intact.
10.)Drink Water to Increase a Low Platelet Count
Blood cells consist of protein and water only. Therefore, one must drink plenty of water all day long. Do not drink cold water if you have a low platelet count because cold water affects the digestive system by making it difficult for nutrients to get absorbed. Instead, drink normal filtered water (room temperature). This will help in proper digestion, which in turn will speed up the production of blood cells and ultimately increase platelet count.
- Regularly drink at least 8 to 10 of water for maintaining hydration through the day.
- You can also take fluid diet to maintain hydration in the body.