In this article, we will talk about some of the natural remedies for asthma attacks treatment. Asthma is a chronic lung disease, which causes severe difficulty in breathing. This inflammatory disease can be either acute or chronic. Asthma attack has a strong effect on the air passages, which carry air from the mouth and nasal area to the lungs and vice versa. When a person suffers from an asthma attack, he/she may find it hard to breathe in outside air. Thus, he/she may feel congested and suffocated. Asthma disease is not confined to any particular age group or sex. It can occur in people of all age groups. It can affect from a 2-year old kid to a 60-year old man. As the airways become swollen during asthma, the muscles around them get stiffen. This stiffness causes less air to flow to the lungs. Asthma is one of those diseases, which does not have a permanent solution. The symptoms and adversity of asthma can be suppressed with timely treatments and procedures. The main issue with asthma is that it can flare up at any point and any day. Along with many medical treatments, some of the natural remedies for asthma attacks can also provide relief from symptoms.
Here are some of the natural remedies for asthma attacks. Before discussing remedies, let us know the causes and symptoms of asthma attacks.
Causes of Asthma Attack
The actual cause of this disease is not defined. But, it can be triggered by the following causes.
- Smoke and tobacco.
- Air pollution
- Respiratory infections.
- Stress, depression and tension.
- Weather conditions
- Sulphites in food and certain medications.
- Certain foods like fish, eggs, soya, peanuts.
- Premature Birth
Symptoms of Asthma Attack
Common symptoms of Asthma are mentioned below. But, these symptoms can also be caused due to some other disease as well. So, if you are facing such symptoms, it doesn’t mean you are suffering from Asthma only.
- Difficulty in breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
- A wheezing or whistling sound while breathing.
- Congested chest
- Feeling tired while doing any physical activity.
- Frequent cold and cough.
- Uneasiness in sleeping
Natural Remedies for Asthma Attacks Treatment
1.) Ginger as a Natural Remedy for Asthma Attacks Treatment
Ginger is a popular natural treatment for different ailments, including asthma also. Researchers have discovered that ginger helps lower airway inflammation and prevent contraction of airway. Also, many studies suggest that ginger has compounds, which helps improve the muscle relaxant effects of certain asthma medications. There are many methods to use ginger, some of them are listed below.
- Add same quantities of ginger juice, pomegranate juice and honey.
- Consume 1 tbsp of this mixture 2 0r 3 times in a day.
- You can also mix 1 tsp of grounded ginger in 1 ½ cups of water.
- Consume 1 tbsp of this mixture at bedtime.
- Another method is to cut 1 inch of ginger into fine pieces and add it to boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for 5 minutes.
- Cool it down and drink it.
- You can also detoxify your lungs by preparing a fenugreek decoction.
- Boil 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in 1 cup of water.
- Add 1 tsp each of ginger juice and honey in it. Mix it well.
- Drink this solution every day in the morning and evening.
- Or simply you can also eat raw ginger.
2.) Eucalyptus Oil as a Home Remedy for Asthma Attacks
Pure eucalyptus oil is one of the most effective treatments for asthma symptoms. It is because eucalyptus oil is known to have fine decongestants properties. Research suggests that it has a compound in it which known as eucalyptol. Eucalyptol is a chemical that can help break up mucus.
- Put a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a clean piece of cloth or paper towel.
- Keep it by the side of your head when sleeping. It will help you breathe in the aroma.
- You can also put 2 or 3 drops of eucalyptus oil in a pot of boiling water and breathe deeply in the steam.
- Repeat this process 2 times a day.
3.) Carom Seeds as a Natural Remedy for Asthma Attacks Treatment
Carom seeds are also known as the Bishop’s weed and Ajwain. Carom seeds are also an effective remedy to treat mild asthma. Carom seeds act as a Bronchodialator by widening the bronchial tubes in the lungs. Here are the methods.
- Add 1 tsp of carom seeds in some water and boil.
- Inhale the steam after boiling it for a few minutes.
- After inhaling steam, you can even drink it.
- Wrap a handful of carom seeds in a piece of cotton cloth and heat in a microwave for a few seconds.
- Make it hot enough, which is comfortable.
- Keep it on your chest and neck until it cools.
- Repeat this process daily until you are satisfied with the results.
- In addition, you can also heat a paste of carom seeds and jaggery.
- Eat 1 or 2 tsp of this paste 2 times daily for a few days or until you get relief.
- This remedy is not suggested for diabetics.
4.) Honey as a Remedy for Asthma Attacks
Honey is one of the best and oldest natural cures for treating asthma attack treatment. Honey include some beneficial alcohol and ethereal oils, which helps lower the symptoms of asthma.
- For some people even just inhaling the smell of honey produces positive results.
- You can also mix 1 tsp of honey into a glass of hot water.
- Drink it slowly about 2 or 3 times daily.
- Swallowing 1 tsp of honey with 1½ tsp of cinnamon powder before going to bed helps remove phlegm from your throat.
- It also allows you to sleep and breathe better.
5.) Mustard Oil as a Remedy to Prevent Asthma Attacks
Mustard oil is one of the finest natural remedies for Asthma attacks. Massaging with mustard oil when having an asthma attack helps clear the respiratory passages. It also helps to restore normal breathing.
- Heat 3-5 tsp of mustard oil with a little camphor.
- Pour it in a bowl and when it gets comfortably hot, rub it on the chest and upper back gently.
- Massage it until you start feeling better.
- Repeat this several times a day regularly.
6.) Coffee as a Remedy to Treat Asthma Attacks
The coffee has a compound known as caffeine. Caffeine helps control asthma attacks by acting as a Bronchodilator. Coffee helps to widen the bronchial tubes of your lungs.
- Have a cup of hot coffee regularly.
- It will help relax and clear the airways to help your breathing easier.
- The stronger your coffee is, the better result you will get.
- But, try not to have more than 3 cups of black coffee in a day.
- Instead of coffee, you can drink a cup of hot black tea.
- But, using caffeine as a regular treatment should be avoided.
7.) Lemons as a Home Remedy to Prevent Asthma Attacks
People suffering from asthma generally suffer low levels of Vitamin C as well. Lemons are known to be rich in this Vitamin. So, consuming lemon is a great way to balance Vitamin C level in the body. Lemon is also a fine antioxidants, which helps prevent asthma symptoms.
- Add juice from half lemon in a glass of water.
- Mix sugar as per your taste.
- Drink this lemon water regularly to lower asthma attacks.
- Other food rich in nutrients, which help minimize asthma symptoms are oranges, papayas, blueberries and strawberries.
- Remember, do not use bottled lemon juice.
- Also, avoid consuming citrus fruits during asthma attacks if they are worsening your symptoms.
8.) Onions as a Remedy to Prevent Asthma Attacks
Onions are known to have anti-inflammatory properties. Onions help lower constriction of the airways when suffering from asthma attack. Plus, the sulphur content in onions helps reduce inflammation in the lungs.
- Eat raw onions daily to keep your air passage ways clear for better breathing.
- If you don’t like the taste of raw onions, try eating cooked onions.
- You can include onion in your salad as well.
9.) Garlic as a Remedy for Asthma Attacks
- Boil 2-3 cloves of garlic in ¼ cup of milk.
- Let it cool to room temperature.
- Drink it twice a day until your condition improves.
10.) Figs as a Remedy for Asthma Attacks
Figs are known to have essential nutritional properties. It helps promote respiratory health and help reduce phlegm and enhances breathing.
- Wash 3 dried figs and put them in a cup of water overnight.
- Eat the figs and drink the fig water on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Repeat this home treatment for several months to see the results.
11.) Parsley Leaf as a Natural Remedy to Prevent Asthma Attack
Parsley leaf is another fine herbal remedy for treating asthma attack symptom such as asthma cough. You can prepare tea using parley leaves. It will help soothe the throat and give relief from chest congestion. Here is the method to use it.
- Take some parsley leaves and add them in a cup of boiling water.
- Strain and drink it.
- Drinking 2 cups of parsley tea will help prevent asthma.
12.) Milk to Get Rid of Asthma
Having a warm cup of milk also help treat asthma effectively. Milk has essential nutrients that helps in relieving asthma symptoms naturally and effectively.
- Add equal amount of honey and olive oil to a glass of warm milk.
- Drink this milk along with a few cloves of garlic, before having your breakfast.
- This home remedy helps in giving relief from asthma effectively.