This article is about eye strain and how to reduce eye strain. Eye strain means any action which involves intensive use of the eyes which make them exhausted and tired. It is a very common and irritating condition. The symptom includes itching, tiredness and burning sensation eyes. Although It is not a very serious condition and it goes away once you give them proper rest. But, in several cases eye strain can be a sign of an underlying disease which needs treatment. In today’s world, where you are half of the time glued to your computer screens, smartphone, video games and other similar gadgets, eye strain becomes a common condition. Blinking helps effectively in refreshing the eyes naturally. Normally, an average person blinks about 18 times in a minute. But studies, says when using computer and other digital gadgets, a person’s blink rate goes down to half of what it should be. This result in dryness, itching and burning sensation in the eyes. This problem is going to grow more and rapidly due to increasing usage of smartphones and other handy digital devices. Due to the portability of these gadgets and forcing the eyes to peep longer in such gadgets make the eyes to strain more. This can make you more prone to getting some severe eye condition. With a little bit of precaution and remedies (suggested below) you can reduce eye strain easily and effectively. Below we have made a list of some useful home remedies to reduce eye strain. But, let us know the causes and symptoms first.
Causes of Eye Strain:
- Spending lots of time on the computer, cell phones, video games and other handy gadgets.
- Driving for a long period of time.
- Reading and writing
- Sleeping for less duration.
- Lack of sleep
- Exposure to bright light.
- Any underlying eye problem.
- Stress on the eyes to see in dim light.
- Lack of nutrients
Symptoms of Eye Strain:
- Soreness in the eyes.
- Burning sensation, tiredness and itchiness in the eye.
- Blurred vision
- Double vision
- Watery eyes
- Increase in the sensitivity to light.
- Unable to concentrate
- Pain in and around the eyes.
Remedies to Reduce Eye Strain Naturally:
- Remedies to Reduce Eye Strain Naturally:
- 1.) Water Splash to Reduce Eye Strain While Reading
- 2.) Near And Far Focus Technique to Reduce Eye Strain While Gaming
- 3.) Zooming Technique to Reduce Eye Strain
- 4.) Healthy Diet to Prevent Eye Strain Naturally
- 5.) Yoga to Reduce Eye Strain
- 6.) Eye Blinking to Reduce Eye Strain While Watching TV
- 7.) Resting Exercise to Reduce Eye Strain From Computer Screen
- 8.) Protective Shades to Reduce Eye Strain From Bright Light
- 9.) Warm Compress to Get Rid of Eye Strain Fast
- 10.) Water Bucket to Improve Eyesight Instantly
1.) Water Splash to Reduce Eye Strain While Reading
Make a habit of splashing water on your eyes every morning. Splashing water will make the muscles of your eyes stronger and improve blood flow around them. It can help reduce strain instantly. Here is the method to do it. It is very useful way to reduce eye strain caused due to computer, laptops, gaming and reading.
Directions for Splashing Water:
- After waking up in the morning, fill some lukewarm water in your mouth.
- Splash remaining of water on your eyes.
- Spit the water out and repeat it 5 to 10 times.
- Do it several times a day for better and quick results.
2.) Near And Far Focus Technique to Reduce Eye Strain While Gaming
It is one of the simplest yet useful exercise to reduce eye strain fast. You can practice this exercise anywhere, anytime and for any duration. This can take time to get used to it, but once you learn the proper method, you can get rid of eye strain very fast.
- Just make yourself comfortable in a chair or ground.
- Take a few deep breaths and loosen up.
- After that, extend your arms out in front and make a thumbs up sign at an eye level..
- Now, focus on your thumb and breathe deeply.
- Then, for the next breath, concentrate on something 20 to 30 feet away from you.
- With each breath, alternatively focus on your thumb and the object far from you.
- This will certainly reduce eye strain.
3.) Zooming Technique to Reduce Eye Strain
Another useful technique to reduce eye strain is zooming method. This technique helps strengthens eye muscles fast. Also, it helps in getting back your focusing power. Here is the method to exercise this method.
- Sit and relax, hold a pen vertically and extend your arms out in front at eye level.
- Keep concentrating on the tip of the pen as you bring it closer to your eyes.
- Now again, keep concentrating on the tip, and move the pencil away from you by fully extending your arms out.
- Do this every day for 10 minutes to reduce eye strain.
4.) Healthy Diet to Prevent Eye Strain Naturally
A healthy diet is among the first step to have healthy eyes. Along with proper care of your eyes externally, you must take care of your eyes internally as well. Keep a check on your daily need of nutrients to prevent eye strain.
- Include nuts, bananas, citrus fruits such as sweet lime, lemon, oranges in your food.
- Foods rich in Vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids also help reduce eye strain fast and naturally.
5.) Yoga to Reduce Eye Strain
Yoga exercises are very beneficial and quite effective for any ailments you suffer. If done regularly and properly, one can get rid of eye strain fast. There are many yoga exercises you can do. One of these exercises is listed below. It is one of the best eye care method.
- Just take a Padmasana position ( also known as lotus position) with back, neck and head aligning straight.
- Breath and relax looking in front at an eye level.
- After that, move your eyeballs slowly in the upward direction and wait for 3 seconds.
- Now move them slowly to downward direction and again wait for 3 seconds.
- Close your eyes for 2 seconds, then look left as far as possible for 3 seconds and then right for 3 seconds.
- Look at the front again and close your eyes for 8-10 seconds.
- Repeat this 3-4 times daily and slowly increase the reps as you get used to it.
Blinking to reduce eye strain might sound little weird. You might overlook this method, but it is one of the most effective way to reduce eye strain. You blink rarely when you are looking at the computer screens, cell phone, laptops, tabs, etc. This can make your eyes to strain a lot. Blinking help your eyes to spreads fluid which in turn cleanses the cornea. It tends to lessen stress and let your cornea rest. Blinking also helps refresh your eyes. This helps to focus for longer time, without straining them a lot.
7.) Resting Exercise to Reduce Eye Strain From Computer Screen
Try to rest your eyes on a regular basis in order to reduce eye strain. Like our body need rest after getting tired, similarly eyes also need rest to refresh themselves. Apart from sleeping another way to give your eyes rest is discussed below.
- To do this, just sit comfortably wherever you want.
- Take a deep breath and close your eyes.
- Rub your palms to create some heat.
- Now, Softly place your palms over the eyes and hold it for a while.
- Do this 10-15 times.
- The warmness of your palm will help prevent eye strain.
- Do this process in every 3 to 4 hours on a regular basis.
8.) Protective Shades to Reduce Eye Strain From Bright Light
Too much exposure to sunlight or any bright light can cause vision loss. As such bright lights affect the retinal part of the eye adversely. Sunlight has harmful ultraviolet rays that may damage your vision seriously. It can also cause cataracts.
- Always keep yourself away from direct exposure to sun rays as much as you can.
- Wear UVA and UVB protection sunglasses to reduce eye strain from bright light.
9.) Warm Compress to Get Rid of Eye Strain Fast
A warm compress is among the best home remedies for eye strain treatment. This remedy helps relax the muscles in and around your eyes. It also helps lower strain and soothe dry eyes. Plus, It also helps minimize pain and swelling of an eye stye.
- Soak a soft cloth in warm water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Lie down and close the eyes. Place the warm cloth over the eyelids.
- Relax and breathe slowly for a minute.
- Change the washcloth after a minute.
- Repeat the process 3 to 4 times.
- Follow this treatment 1-2 times daily to reduce eye strain.
10.) Water Bucket to Improve Eyesight Instantly
Water bucket technique is one of the best ways to get rid of eye strain quickly. It is very simple to use this method. This method helps effectively in reducing puffiness too. Also, it helps refresh your eyes.
- Put your face into a bucket full of water without opening your eyes.
- After that, open your eyes inside water.
- Slowly roll your eyes all around.
- Do this several times.
- Rolling the eyeball inside water helps cleaning and removing the dirt.
- Do this process 4-5 times.