Gum swelling or gingival swelling is a condition in which gums start appearing red instead of normal pink color. Pain and inflammation in the gums is common. The gums become so sensitive that they tend to bleed when you brush. Though gum swelling is a common problem, but it can disturb your normal life. It generates other oral problems as well. Bad breath is one of the common problems caused because of swollen gums. Moreover, during such condition you are not able to eat properly which leads to dizziness and other health issues. To avoid such condition it is better to treat your gums before it’s too late. All you have to do is, maintain a proper oral hygiene and follow some remedies religiously. Read more, to know about different remedies to reduce gum swelling.
Causes of Gum Swelling:
- Poor oral hygiene.
- Deficiency of vitamin A and C.
- Hormonal changes, especially during pregnancy.
- A gum disease known as Gingivitis.
- Infection in teeth.
Symptoms of Gum Swelling:
- Red gums instead of original pink color.
- Bleeding gums while brushing.
- Pain in the gums.
- Irritated gums.
- Increased space between teeth and gums.
Remedies to Reduce Gum Swelling:
- Remedies to Reduce Gum Swelling:
- 1.) Salt Water to Reduce Gum Swelling
- 2.) Cold and Warm Pack to Reduce Gum Swelling
- 3.) Aloe-Vera Gel to Reduce Gum Swelling
- 4.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Reduce Gum Swelling
- 5.) Black Tea Bags to Reduce Gum Swelling
- 6.) Swish Oil in Your Mouth to Reduce Gum Swelling
- 7.) Turmeric to Reduce Gum Swelling
- 8.) Vitamin A and C to Reduce Gum Swelling
- 9.) Tea Tree Oil to Reduce Gum Swelling
- 10.) Clove Oil to Reduce Gum Swelling
- Relieving the Swollen Gums to Reduce Gum Swelling
- 1.) Get to Know the Swollen Gums
- 2.) Properly Brush Your Tooth by Swirling, Circular Motion and also avoid Sideways Action
- 3.) Floss Your Teeth Once a Day
- 4.) Rinse your Mouth with Salt Water
- 5.) Use Warm and Cold Compress
- 6.) Avoid Gum Irritants
- 7.) Drink Plenty of Water
- 8.) Give Gentle Massage to the Gums
- 9.) Use Clove Oil
1.) Salt Water to Reduce Gum Swelling
Salt is one of the effective remedies for gum swelling. It acts as a constraint for the bacteria growth in the mouth. Also, it keeps the infections at the bay which leads to gum swelling.
- Brush your teeth with a soft-bristle brush and then gently rub salt over gums for a while.
- Later, rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Do this regularly until you get healthier gums and then do it 3 times a day to keep the swelling away.
- Alternatively, in a glass of lukewarm water mix 1 teaspoon of salt and use it for rinsing.
- Do this 2 times a day.
2.) Cold and Warm Pack to Reduce Gum Swelling
Cold and warm pack provide relief to gum swelling. Cold and warm compressing combat with gum swelling. However, while doing so, make sure that you do not apply a cold or warm compress directly on the gums.
- Soak a washcloth in the lukewarm water and squeeze the it.
- Hold the same cloth on the side of the gum (not in direct contact with the gum) for 5-7 minutes.
- After warm compress, apply cold compress. Wrap some ice cubes in the washcloth or wrap a clean cloth around the from vegetable bags and use it as a cold compress. Hold it over the cheeks. While doing so the area will become numb.
- Repeat this until the swelling is gone.
3.) Aloe-Vera Gel to Reduce Gum Swelling
Another way of reducing gum swelling is apply Aloe-Vera gel over the gums. The green plant is packed with various properties such as anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties which does not let plaque-causing bacteria grow in the mouth. Moreover, it provides comfort to swelled gums.
- Extract the gel from the Aloe-Vera plant or you can buy the gel from the local market as well.
- Gently massage the gel over the gums for a few minutes.
- Later, rinse it with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy until you get relief from swelling gums
4.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Reduce Gum Swelling
Hydrogen peroxide is a wonderful remedy for gum swelling. It reduces the pain, inflammation and the bleeding around the gums. Also, it acts as a barrier for the oral bacteria and does not let it grow in the mouth.
- In a glass add 3 percent of hydrogen peroxide. Mix it well.
- Use the solution to swish around the gums and teeth for a few seconds.
- Then rinse your mouth with the lukewarm water.
- Or, make a paste with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.
- Gently massage the paste on the gums. Then wait for a while and rinse it off.
- You can use any of the methods 2-3 times a day.
5.) Black Tea Bags to Reduce Gum Swelling
The component called tannis is present in the black tea bags which fights back with the bacteria which contributes swelling in the gums. Moreover, it is packed with the antioxidants which helps you to get rid of bad breath and other oral problems.
- In a boiling water, steep black tea bag for a few minutes.
- After it, leave the tea to cool in the room temperature.
- Gently rub the tea bags over the swelled gums for 10 minutes.
- Then rinse it off with warm water and salt solution.
- Do this once in a day for healthy gums.
6.) Swish Oil in Your Mouth to Reduce Gum Swelling
Swishing oil in an empty mouth for 20-25 minutes is known as oil pulling. It will heal the inflamed gums and reduces the growth of the bacteria which leads dental infection. Also, it makes the gums strong and remove the plaque.
- Sip 1 tablespoon of sesame oil.
- Swish the oil in the mouth for 15-20 minutes.
- Spit the oil and rinse the mouth with warm water.
- Lastly, brush your teeth.
- Regularly swishing will give you strong and infection free gum.
- P.S- Do not swallow the oil.
7.) Turmeric to Reduce Gum Swelling
Turmeric is commonly found in the kitchen. The spice is enriched with the medicinal properties which helps to treat health and oral problems. The anti-bacterial property and the antioxidants reduces the gum swelling and pain. Moreover, it does not let the bacteria grow in the mouth, which contributes oral infection.
- Make a paste with a few drops of water and pinch of turmeric.
- With the clean fingers spread the paste over the painful gums and leave it for a few minutes.
- Then gently massage the gums using your fingers.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Do this 2 times a day to cure gums swelling.
8.) Vitamin A and C to Reduce Gum Swelling
Lack of vitamin C and D also give way to gum swelling. Both the vitamins are packed with the anti-inflammatory properties that helps to reduce gum swelling. Also, it also helps the body to use calcium which is important for strong gums and bones.
- Eat food rich in vitamin C and D rich food such as eggs, cold liver oil, lemon and other citrus fruit.
- Sunlight is also a good source of vitamin D.
- You can supplement these foods with vitamin C and D supplements.
9.) Tea Tree Oil to Reduce Gum Swelling
The anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties of the tea tree oil aids the swelling and provide a instant relief from inflammation and bleeding around the gums.
- In a glass of water, mix 2-3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Use the solution for swishing.
- Or instead of your regular toothpaste use toothpaste which contains tea tree oil.
- S – Do not swallow the oil.
10.) Clove Oil to Reduce Gum Swelling
Clove contains antibacterial properties that fight back with the bacteria. Also, it reduces the inflammation and pain around the gums.
- With the help of Q-Tip apply clove oil on the gums
- Also, you can use the clove oil for oil pulling
Tips to Reduce Gum Swelling:
- Brush your teeth with a soft-bristle toothbrush 2-3 times a day.
- Regularly floss and make sure, you wipe out the food trapped between the teeth.
- Drink lots of water. It will stimulate the saliva, which in turn prevents the growth of bacteria.
- Avoid irritants such as tobacco, strong mouth freshener and alcohol.
- Your diet should contain enough calcium, folic acid, vitamin C and D.
- Get sufficient sleep and avoid stress.
- Regularly visit your dentist.
Relieving the Swollen Gums to Reduce Gum Swelling
1.) Get to Know the Swollen Gums
Your gums can be swollen variety of the reason, in many of the cases it is a sign of gum disease. It is really important that you need to identify the cause if the swelling, so that you can take right medication. Either you should care about it by yourself or you can take appointment to doctor to know the exact cause of your problem. There can be so many reason of gum swelling.
It can be caused by incorrect brushing or fossil technique. In mostly cases, swollen gums are caused by the result of poor hygiene, where plaque starts build up between the teeth and at the gum line. To get rid of this problem you need to brush properly and fossing regularly to remove the excess plaque. In many of the cases, people who do floss between their teeth do it roughly and also cause swelling.
If you don’t maintained good oral hygiene then you may come in contact with gingivitis and periodontitis that can easily develop. Gingivitis is not that serious problem and can be reverse if you caught it early. Periodontitis is very serious problem and caused tooth loss. If your gum is red, shiny and swollen then it’s gingivitis. Periodontitis caused gum recession and bone loss.
2.) Properly Brush Your Tooth by Swirling, Circular Motion and also avoid Sideways Action
If you are doing brush in incorrect way then you must be suffering from dental problem. So you need to brush properly, brush the top chewing surfaces, front and back of teeth, mostly up the bottom teeth and down top ones. As I have mentioned above swollen gums can often be the result of built up plaque on the teeth. If you maintain good dental hygiene then you need to brush your teeth twice a day, morning and evening and following meals.
Best to use a soft and nylon-bristle brush. As they clean the teeth effectively without causing further irritation. Get rid of that toothbrush that is having medium or hard bristles. No brushing harder means brushing better. Brushing harder can cause bleeding and raise the gum problems. You also need to choose the gum protection toothpaste which are especially made to prevent gingivitis and mostly toothpaste brands produce a gingivitis-fighting version.
3.) Floss Your Teeth Once a Day
Doing flossing daily helps to remove the plaque that cannot be removed by the toothbrush. But flossing more than the required may irritate your gums. Flossing are neglecting by many of the people even there are some people who did flossing but left it as it can pain because they are doing roughly or incorrect way. You need to avoid the snapping the floss as it can damage your fragile between the gum tissues. Instead you need to try the floss carefully between the teeth and also follow it according to curve of each tooth as you do.
4.) Rinse your Mouth with Salt Water
Gargling a saltwater is one of the oldest tricks in the book when it comes to reducing the swelling of the gums, but it is one of the most effective. As the salt works as an antibacterial agent, ridding the mouth of contaminated and also sooth the inflamed gums.
Gargle and swish. You just need to make the saltwater solution and dissolve a teaspoon of salt water in a cup of warm water. Swish it all around the mouth between the teeth so that it can reach the gums. You don’t have swallow the salty water- just use it as a mouth wash. You can also use salt water to gargle to erase the sore throat and also to use to clean the piercings and disinfect the wounds. You need to mix the salt in the lukewarm water.
5.) Use Warm and Cold Compress
Warm and cold compress can help you to provide easy and give immediate relief to sore and swollen gums. Warm compresses are one of the best relieve, while cold compresses will effectively reduce swelling. You just need to hold the compress against your face rather than against the gum themselves. As this less awkward and prevent the gums from becoming further irritated by sudden change in the temperature.
6.) Avoid Gum Irritants
When your gums are sore and swollen, then it is really important for you to avoid any of the substances that are going to exacerbate the swelling, such as tobacco, product and alcohol. You also need to avoid the harsh mouthwash which is you are using to disinfect the mouth can actually aggravate swollen gums and also you should also try taking a break from them for a while.
You need to also dilute mouthwash and also need to have a half cup of mouthwash. You can also this procedure two week in a row and then take a break from a week before you repeat this treatment.
7.) Drink Plenty of Water
You just need to drink plenty of water, as drinking plenty of water will help you to flush the food residue and bacteria in the mouth and also limit the development of more plaque. Drinking more water also helps in stimulate the production of saliva which is natural way to helps to kill the bacteria.
8.) Give Gentle Massage to the Gums
A gentle massage in the gums helps to reduce the inflammation and also ease the pain by increasing the blood flow in the gums. You just need to use the gentle circular motion to give massage to swollen gums for about one minute. Before giving massage with your fingertips, you need to wash your hands properly and also ensure that the fingernails are clipped and shorts as it will help in preventing the bacteria. You can also purchase the gum stimulator, if you are getting problem with your fingers.
9.) Use Clove Oil
You just need to apply the clove oil. Clove oil is one of the natural treatments for swollen gums that has been proven effective in decreasing the pain and reducing the inflammation. You just need to simply apply the clove oil directly to the swollen gums and do this to a three times a day.