In this article, we will talk about ways to relieve a tension headache. In today’s fast-paced world, everyone’s patience and capabilities are brought to the brim. All this leads to great stress, anxiety and depression. Resulting in what is better known as tension. Tension is the worry of any event whose consequences we are awaiting. This tension for a matter leads to mental stress. As the brain gets more stressed it leads to a headache.
I mean all of us at some point of our lives have been through it by some way or the other. It is extremely painful and can lead to irritability and stress. While the cause for the same is unknown, it is still important to get rid of it. So, here we are for your rescue. Just follow the remedies below and get relieved of a tension headache in no time:
How to Relieve a Tension Headache?
1.) Use Warm Compress to Relieve a Tension Headache
Heat is known to provide relief from all kinds of muscle problems. It is also effective in relieving your headache. As the heat relaxes the mind and lowers stress. You can use a warm compress for instant relief. All you have to do is follow the steps below:
- Take a warm bottle or a heating pad and apply it on your head and lower neck area.
- Keep it there for some time, until there is a sense of relief.
- Alternatively, you could also prepare a hot water bath and immerse your body in it.
2.) Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Relieve a Tension Headache
Apple cider vinegar is effective to treat a tension based headache. It is effective in keeping up the balance of acid-alkaline in the body. It can help enhance the treatment process in the long run. To use it to ward off a headache, just follow the steps mentioned below:
- Either put a few drops of an apple cider vinegar in boiling water and take its steam, covering yourself with a towel.
- Mix 2 – 3 tsp of apple cider vinegar in water and drink it daily. Consume it 3 – 4 times in a day.
- You could also apply the water and apple cider vinegar solution on the head with the help of a towel.
3.) Apply Ice Pack to Relieve a Tension Headache
The ice pack is one among the best remedies to get rid of a headache. The cold treatment works by shrinking the blood vessels and by enhancing blood circulation to the area. It is advised to apply it immediately after headache starts. Follow the steps below to get relieved of the pain:
- Prepare an ice pack by collecting ice in a clean cloth or a Ziploc.
- Apply the pack over the area around the head and let it numb.
- Keep doing it, till your headache subsides.
4.) Green Tea to Relieve a Tension Headache
The antioxidant properties can get rid of a headache appearing from tension. It will also help relax your mind and provide a soothing relief. All you have to do is to drink at least 3 -4 cups daily. You will be surprised at the results. It will not only provide you fast relief but will also prevent it from happening anytime in the future. It will also help enhance your skin radiance.
5.) Eat Almonds to Relieve a Tension Headache
Go nuts! No, not literally but consume by almonds. Almonds are effective in treating headache as well. The presence of salicin is what makes it an instant pain reliever. It also contains many essential nutrients and vitamins. Just take a handful of them and eat them directly. Chew them nicely and your headache should become a thing of the past.
Massaging the head with almond oil can also prove to be an instant headache reliever.
6.) Ginger to Relieve a Tension Headache
Your everyday herb ginger can do more than just enhancing the taste of your food. Its anti-inflammatory and nerve soothing properties is what makes it effective. You can use it in several ways to cure a headache. To get an idea, look below:
- You can prepare ginger tea. All you have to do is add a freshly cut ginger in boiling water. Consume the resultant solution 3 – 4 times in a day for relief.
- Add ginger as part of your cooking. Eat food that contains ginger.
- Eat a raw ginger if you can bear the strong taste.
7.) Drink Milk to Relieve a Tension Headache
While milk alone may not be effective to treat your headache. Adding honey and cinnamon can enhance its healing properties and you can get rid of it finally. Follow the steps below:
- Boil some milk and add honey and cinnamon to the same.
- Drink the same, for relief.
- Continue the treatment according to the requirement. Make sure no to over do it.
8.) Cinnamon to Relieve a Tension Headache
While the strong taste is something that many stay away from. It can eventually provide relief from a tension headache. Just follow the simple steps below and you are good to go:
- Mash up a few pieces of cinnamon and mix it with water to form a paste-like solution.
- Apply the paste on your forehead directly.
- Keep it there for 15 minutes and wash it off for instant relief.
9.) Drink Water to Relieve a Tension Headache
It is essential to keep your body hydrated at all times. It gets rid off all the toxins and free radicals that affect our body and mind. They are one of the major causes for stress, anxiety and tension. By flushing them out of the body, it creates a healthy equilibrium of body and mind. It also helps keep the body cool. Make sure to drink at least 8 – 10 glasses of water daily for better results.
10.) Take Rest to Relieve a Tension Headache
When in tension and nothing seems to work right, just go somewhere quiet and take a short nap. Rest is essentially one of the best remedies to cure your everyday headache problem. Your body needs to repair itself from constant stress bombardment and that it does when you sleep. Make sure to sleep on time and tension and the resulting headache will stay away from you forever. Help your mind relax and it will not thank you enough.