After writing, how to cure an ear infection?, home remedies for earache, how to unpop your ears?, and how to remove water from ears?, we are now writing the ways to relieve the ear congestion. Blockage in the ear canal or clogged ear refers to ear congestion. Sometimes it may cause a hearing problem. When the extra wax is build up you feel popping sensation in your ear. When you suffer from ear congestion, Eustachian tubes doesn’t open and close properly to equalizing and control the pressure between the middle ear. Ear congestion can affect all ages, it is especially common among children, when they have cold and wet cough. Parents got trouble that time and wanna know the ways to relieve ear congestion. There are many easy ways and home remedies to relieve the ear congestion. Have a look at the remedies in this article to relieve ear congestion naturally and fast.
Best Remedies to Relieve Ear Congestion:
- Best Remedies to Relieve Ear Congestion:
- 1.) Use The Garlic
- 2.) Apple Cider Vinegar and Alcohol
- 3.) Glycerin Will Help
- 4.) Nasal Decongestant
- 5.) Baking Soda, Non-iodized Salt, And Water
- 6.) Use The Hydrogen Peroxide
- 7.) Have Some Steam
- 8.) Do The Warm Compress
- 9.) Use Valsalva Maneuver
- 10.) Have Some Olive Oil Drops
- 11.) Use The Warm Water
- 12.) Yawning Will Help
- 13.) Gargle With Warm Salt Water
- 14.) Chew Some Chewing Gum
- 15.) Use Tea Tree
- 16.) Hop On One Foot
- 17.) Consult a Doctor
- Additional Useful Tips:
Ear congestion is such an annoying problem and sometimes it is very painful. There are many easy treatments available at your home to relieve ear congestion.
1.) Use The Garlic
Garlic is a proven remedy to provide relief from the ear congestion, if it is caused due to excessive earwax build up. This ingredient will not work for blocked ears caused due to altitude changes, for instance, flying. For altitude change other remedies are their in this article. Garlic as a natural ingredient works better in treating infected ear canals due to its natural antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It has been used as a natural remedy since centuries in order to treat ear-related infections. Follow the process given below in order to relieve ear congestion.
- Take the ingredients, which include 2 cloves of garlic and two tablespoons of olive oil. Once you have gathered the ingredients, smash the garlic cloves and heat them in olive oil.
- After heating, let the mixture cool down. Pour two to three drops of this mixture into the affected ear. Let it stay for a minute and then drain your year.
- Repeating this process once every day will give instant relief from ear congestion.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar and Alcohol
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) and alcohol is known to be a potent combination, when trying to unclog ears. ACV helps to dissolve the mucus built up inside the ear, which is the actual cause of the ear congestion. The ACV and alcohol mixture will also help to clear the infection along with the congestion. Apple cider vinegar is known to potent natural antibacterial properties. Regular white vinegar can also be used in place of ACV if not available. Follow the steps given below in order to relieve ear congestion.
- First you will have to gather the ingredients, which include Apple cider vinegar and rubbing alcohol.
- Now, mix the apple cider vinegar and rubbing alcohol together in equal amounts. Tilt your head to one side and pour few drops of the mixture into the affected ear.
- Let this prepared solution work for several minutes and then use a cotton bud to clear the ear. Repeating this process once every day will give instant relief from clogged ears.
3.) Glycerin Will Help
Glycerin is a common ingredient in most ear drops. Its basic form can be used as a simple home remedy to relieve ear congestion. Especially in the case of clogged ears due to water, glycerin works the best in opening the congestion. It dries up the ear by absorbing excess moisture, thus helping to relieve the excess pressure that had built up in the ear. Following are the ingredients that are required in order to relive ear congestion.
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Few drops of glycerin
Now, after you have gathered the ingredients, follow the steps below to treat the ear congestion. Take a few drops of glycerin and mix with warm water. Now, use a dropper to pour two to three drops of the obtained solution in the clogged ear. Keep your head tilted through the process so that the solution reaches deep in the ear. Let the solution work for 10 minutes and then drain it. It is advisable for you to repeat the process once again if desired or until it provides relief.
4.) Nasal Decongestant
Nasal decongestants are not only effective in relieving blocked nose but they are also helpful to get rid of ear congestion faster. Sometimes, ear congestion can also be a side effect of nasal congestion. This method helps to relieve the congestion in the nose that might have been caused due to allergies or infection. While trying to clear up sinus blockage, the Eustachian tubes tend to open up eventually giving relief from the plugged ears. Follow the steps given below in order to relieve ear congestion.
- Gather a few ingredients, which include a cup of hot sterilized water, half a teaspoon of non-iodized salt and hale a teaspoon of baking soda.
- After gathering these ingredients, follow these simple steps to relieve ear congestion. Use these ingredients to prepare a homemade solution by simply mixing the salt and baking soda in the hot water.
- Now, with the help of a dropper, pour a few drops of the solution into your nose. Once the solution drains, you can blow your nose.
- Repeat this remedy every few hours until the clogged sinus is clear and the remedy has helped to relieve ear congestion.
5.) Baking Soda, Non-iodized Salt, And Water
Ear congestion can be the result of the allergic inflammation which is a resultant of sinus infection. As we have already read that nasal decongestants can help to relieve ear congestion so you can easily prepare a nasal saline spray with the help of baking soda, non-iodized salt, and water. Use this homemade nasal solution as one of the effective home remedies that will help to relieve ear congestion. This homemade nasal saline spray will work as a mild decongestant that can help to unblock the plugged nose and relieve ear congestion. Gather the following ingredients:
- 1 cup of water
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of non-iodized salt
- A jar with lid
- Sterilized container
- A dropper
Follow the steps given below in order to relieve ear congestion.
- Pour water in the pan and boil the water to make it sterile. Next, allow the water to cool down for a few minutes and then pour this sterilized water in the sterilized container.
- Now, you need to add non-iodized salt and baking soda into this water. Mix them well in order to make a fine mixture and then pour this saline solution in the dropper.
- Tilt your head at one side at 45˚ and then put the tip of the dropper into the nostril and gently pour the solution inside. Now, let the saline solution drain in your nose or mouth. Spit if anything still remains in your mouth.
- Make sure to blow your nose properly and this will help to decongest your ears and nose. Repeat this process for another nostril and then store the rest of saline solution for two days. Continue doing this remedy thrice a day.
6.) Use The Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is very effective for the treatment to relieve ear congestion. You can use hydrogen peroxide for blockage of the ear by wax accumulation.
- Use a dropper to put 2 drops of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide in the blocked ear.
- Then you will feel fizzing within a few minutes.
- After 10 minutes, tilt your head so that the ear wax comes out.
7.) Have Some Steam
Steam is one of the best ways to relive the ear congestion. The steam will lose and thin mucus and ear wax, which in result will give you relief from blockage of the ear.
- Take a large bowl and pour hot water into it. Now, add a few drops of lavender oil or tea tree oil in it.
- Use a towel to cover your head and inhale the steam slowly until you get relief from clogged ears.
8.) Do The Warm Compress
A warm compress is a natural treatment for clogged ears, which is associated with sinus or cold. Warm compress produces heat, which will help to unclog the ear and loosen congestion.
- Take a washcloth and soak it in warm water. Squeeze out the excess water. Put the washcloth over the affected ear for 5 to 10 minutes. This will help to reduce pain and drain out the fluid.
- An alternate method, wrap a hot water bottle in a thin towel. Place it to the affected ear for 5 to 10 minutes to get relieve the pressure and unclog the ears.
9.) Use Valsalva Maneuver
Use valsalva maneuver to get rid of ear congestion. It will give relief from pain and stiffness.
- Close your mouth and nostrils with your fingers. Then take a breath deeply.
- To control the air pressure, blow out the air from your nose.
- Then you will hear a popping sound that means Eustachian are open.
- But keep in mind, don’t blow out the air too hard as it damage to the ear drum.
10.) Have Some Olive Oil Drops
Olive oil is one of the best natural remedies for relieve ear congestion. Due to a build up of wax inside the ears, you can use olive oil to soften ear wax. Then you can easily remove it.
- Heat some pure olive oil. Put a few drops of the lukewarm olive oil with a dropper in the affected ear.
- Keep it for 10 minutes to soften the earwax. Tilt your head to remove the earwax and oil with ear buds. Do this gently as it is a delicate organ.
11.) Use The Warm Water
Warm water is also helpful to open up the clogged ear.
- Heat some water. Then fill an ear syringe with warm water. Tilt your head and stretch slightly your earlobe to open up the ear canal.
- Pour warm water into the ear with an ear syringe. Warm water will help to dislodge the wax. After 10 minutes, tilt your head the water and earwax will drain out.
12.) Yawning Will Help
Yawning is also an effective and easy way to deal with blocked ears. It reduces air pressure in the ear and helps to open the Eustachian tubes.
- Open your mouth first, then try to attempt to yawn.
- Then you will feel a pop sound in the ear.
- Repeat it until you start hearing clearly.
13.) Gargle With Warm Salt Water
Gargling with hot salt water is very beneficial to relieve the ear congestion and also it will ease nasal congestion that contributes to the problem.
- Warm a glass of water and add 1 tsp of salt in it.
- Gargle with this hot salt water for 15 to 30 seconds and spit it out.
- Do this repeatedly until you get relief from ear congestion.
14.) Chew Some Chewing Gum
- Blockage of ears is due to a sudden change in air pressure.
- So try chewing gum, which will relieve the excess pressure in your ears, open Eustachian tubes and clogged ears.
- If you are not getting relief by trying chewing gum then consult a doctor immediately.
15.) Use Tea Tree
Tea tree oil is yet another effective remedy, which leaves no chance to be mentioned on the list of home remedies to relieve ear congestion. Now, there is an addition to the list of health issues, which now includes clogged ears. Tea tree oil is known to have natural anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties that fights infections and dissolves the wax. This makes it as a good remedy for sinus infections. The oil helps to clear the ear congestion, which is caused due to the respiratory infections as well. Follow the steps given below in order to relieve ear congestion.
- Gather the ingredients, which include a few drops of tea tree oil and hot water in order to relieve ear congestion. After you have gathered the ingredients, add a few drops of oil to boiling water.
- Mix well and the gently tilt your head, placing the affected ear directly over the steam. Let the steam relieve your blocked ear and melt the wax. This simple home remedy will give you instant relief from clogged ears.
- Repeat this remedy until the congestion is relieved or it is better to implement this remedy as soon as you feel the congestion. This will prevent the situation from getting worse.
16.) Hop On One Foot
Another best yet simple remedy to relieve ear congestion is to hop on one foot. The remedy might sound funny but it is actually effective. This process tends to work by taking the benefit of gravitational force by simply hopping on one foot gently. Make sure to balance properly or you can hurt yourself. In addition, this remedy is also effective, whenever the water or any fluid is trapped in your middle ear after swimming.
- First you will have to stand on the foot. Now tilt your head at the side of your plugged ear.
- You can continue standing in this position without losing your balance for a few minutes. This is to be done until you get rid of this problem.
- It is advisable to repeat this remedy, whenever you want to unblock your ears and also equalize the pressure in your ears.
- This is another remedy that will help you to relieve ear congestion. Here, you have to lie down at one side with your pillow placed below your head.
- Then, you have to lie on the side in a way that your affected ear takes a rest over the pillow. Stay in this position for about a good 30 minutes.
- This remedy will help you to drain out the fluid that builds pressure into your ear. Follow this remedy regularly in order to treat the clogged ears, strengthen your immune system, and also make you healthier.
17.) Consult a Doctor
If you are having too much pain in the inner ear or your outer ear, then your ear may get infected. This is a common problem in children. At this stage, you should consult a doctor.
- Take antibiotics as per the prescription. Antibiotics are helpful to kill bacteria that cause the ear infection.
- You can also use a prescribed ear drop such as anti-pyrene- benzocaine to reduce the side effect of pain.
Additional Useful Tips:
- After taking a bath, use a soft cloth to dry your ear.
- Avoid swimming or diving if you have an infection or cold.
- Clean your ears daily. Always use clean water to unclog the outer ear.
- You can also use decongestion to treat ear congestion.
- Don’t use wax removal products to remove your wax as it may cause infection in your ear.