This article is about how to relieve gas. Gas is a problem that is not only irritating but embarrassing as well. The problem is caused when abdominal is filled with air. When you have the problem of gas, your stomach aches and a discomfort situation arises. Also, the problem makes stomach appears larger than normal. Your stomach becomes tight and it is even hard to touch. Gas is a normal problem but excessive gas can really be a serious problem. Flatulence is the natural process but when your stomach is filled with excessive gas, you need to get rid of it as soon as possible. In this article, we are going to discuss some of the best ways to relieve gas. Keep reading the article to know more about gas.
Causes of Gas:
Here are some of the main reasons that lead to problem of gas. Basically, gas is formed in the stomach when the undigested food comes to colon and gets fermented by the bacteria. The entire process leads to the formation of gas in the stomach. Here are the other reasons of formation of gas:
- Swallowing Air – This is one of the main reasons for the formation of gas. When you swallow air and it gets accumulated in the intestine then it leads to the problem of gas. You swallow air while taking eating or drinking something. For example, when you drink something with straw, you swallow a lot of air. You also swallow air by eating too fast, chewing gum and drinking carbonated beverages.
- Consuming Dairy Products – Consuming dairy products might also lead to the formation of gas. This is because of the reason that when you consume dairy products, your body might not be able to separate sugar from the body.
- Constipation – Constipation doesn’t allow you to pass gas and thus you suffer with the problem bloating.
Symptoms of Gas:
Here are the symptoms that will help you recognize the problem as gas:
- Frequent passing of gas
- Cramp like pain in stomach
- Abdomen becomes tight
- Loss of appetite
Home Remedies to Relieve Gas:
Gas is a common problem and thus you can treat it easily at home by just going to your kitchen. There are different home remedies that will help you relieve gas fast and naturally. Let’s discuss some of the best of them:
1.) Ginger to Relieve Gas
Ginger is one of the best remedies for gas treatment. It is great for indigestion treatment and thus provides you quick relief from the problem of gas. You can consume it in different ways. You can simply chew a fresh ginger piece after every meal. You can also drink a little ginger juice. Do not forget to add a pinch of asafetida to it. You can also simply add some grated ginger to your meal. Well, the best way to consume it is to drink ginger tea. To make ginger tea:
- Bring a cup of water to boil.
- Add an inch of crushed ginger to it.
- Cover with a lid and allow it to steep for ten minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink.
- Drink it thrice a day for best results.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Relieve Gas
Apple cider vinegar is the remedy that has been used to treat a number of health issues. It is widely used for weight loss and is also effective at various skin conditions. This remedy soothes stomach fast and provides you instant relief from the problems. What you have to do is:
- Take a glass of lukewarm water.
- Add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Mix it well and drink it.
3.) Buttermilk to Relieve Gas
You can also go for buttermilk in order to treat bloating and gas fast at home. It has properties that soothe the digestive tract and provide you instant relief from the problem. Adding carom seed and black salt to buttermilk improves its efficiency to deal with the problem. What you have to do is:
- Take a glass of buttermilk and add one teaspoon of black salt to it.
- Also add a teaspoon of carom seeds to it.
- You can also add celery seeds in place of carom seeds.
- Mix it well and drink it.
4.) Cinnamon to Relieve Gas
Cinnamon is also one of the most effective remedies for gas treatment. It is the remedy that you can easily find in the market. It not only helps relieve gas but also cures pain. It is also helpful at prevent the problem of gas in future. You can use cinnamon in two different ways:
- Boil two cups of water.
- Add one teaspoon of cinnamon powder to it.
- Steep it for two minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it.
- Take glass of milk and half teaspoon of cinnamon powder to it.
- You can also add honey to taste.
- Mix it well and drink.
5.) Garlic to Relieve Gas
You can also go for garlic to get rid of gas. Garlic has properties that help stimulate the gastric fire. And, thus it relieves gas and the pain linked with it. Consuming garlic regularly help with proper digestion. It is good to consume fresh garlic cloves. You can prepare garlic soup for best results. What you can do is:
- Take a cup of water and bring it boil.
- Add a few crushed garlic cloves to it.
- Cover it with a lit and steep for 10 minutes.
- Also add a pinch of black pepper and cumin seeds.
- Allow it to cool for and drink it.
6.) Baking Soda to Relieve Gas
Baking soda is among the most effective ways of treating gas. Adding lemon to baking soda improves the efficiency of the remedy and thus you are able to cure the problem fast. On combining the two, you will get an effective antacid. You can simply add a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water and drink on an empty stomach. What else you can do is:
- Take a glass and add a lemon juice to it.
- Now add a teaspoon of baking soda to it. It will cause fizzing.
- Add more soda to it and finally add cup of water.
- Mix it well and drink it.
7.) Peppermint to Relieve Gas
Peppermint helps soothe the digestive tract and thus relieves from various digestion related problem. You can simply chew some fresh peppermint leaves. Or, you can also add two drops of peppermint oil in half cup of water and drink it twice day. Make sure that the water is cool. Drinking peppermint tea is the best way to consume peppermint. To make the tea:
- Boil a cup of water and add some fresh peppermint leaves to it.
- Steep it for five minutes.
- Strain the tea and also add honey it.
- Drink the tea thrice a day for best results.
8.) Asafetida to Relieve Gas
This is also one of the most effective remedies for gas treatment. Being packed with anti-spasmodic and anti-flatulent properties, asafetida soothes digestive tract and relieves gas. You can consume it in different ways. You can simply eat a ripe banana by adding a pinch of asafetida to it. You can also mix a pinch of asafetida in a glass of water and drink. Also, you can use asafetida externally. To use it externally:
- Take some asafetida in bowl and add enough water to make paste.
- When the paste is ready, apply it on your stomach.
- Allow to dry on its own and you will notice the difference soon.
9.) Fennel Seeds to Relieve Gas
You can also try fennel seeds to get relief from the problem. Fennel seeds work well on your digestive tract and provide you faster relief from the problem. What you have do is:
- Boil cup of water and add a teaspoon of fennel seeds to it.
- Steep for two minutes and then strain the solution and drink it.
10.) Cardamom to Relieve Gas
This remedy is great at speeding up the healing process. It helps provide you instant relief from the problem. What you have to do is:
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add a few pods of cardamom to it.
- Also add sliced ginger to it and steep for a few minutes.
- Now strain the tea and drink it.
Relieve Gas with Medicines:
1.) Antibiotics to Relieve Gas
You can take some antibiotics in order to get rid of gas fast. But, these antibiotics require doctor prescription. So, if the problem of gas is not making you restless and annoyed then you are advised to consult your doctor for the same.
2.) Antacid to Relieve Gas
This medicine not only helps cure gas but it is also effective at preventing it from future occurrence. If you are suffering with the problem of gas then you are advised to take two tablespoons of liquid antacid. You can also simply chew an antacid tablet. If you want to prevent gas problem in future then you can consume antacid 30 minutes after having food.
When to See a Doctor?
Well depending only on home remedies and self-treatments is not a solution. If the problem is followed by vomiting, dizziness, headaches and nausea, then you need to see your doctor soon. If you are suffering with chronic gas problem then also you need to consult your doctor as soon as possible.
- Here are the precautions that you should take in order to prevent gas:
- Go for walk or be regular at exercise.
- Avoid carbonated drinks.
- Drink as much water as possible. Set the target of three liters.
- Eat slowly.
- Reduce Stress.