In this article, we will discuss various home remedies for Diverticular and Diverticulitis. Diverticular disease and diverticulitis are related to digestive conditions which affect the colon (large intestine).
In Diverticular disease, tiny bulges or pockets known as Diverticula build up in the lining of the intestine. Diverticulitis is the condition when these Diverticula become infected or inflamed. Diverticula are common and related with ageing. With age, the large intestine becomes weaker, and the pressure made from hard stools while passing through the large intestine is the reason to cause the bulges to form. It’s found that about 5% of people have Diverticula by the time they reach 40 years old. And, about 50% of people suffer it by the time they are 80 years old.
Diverticular disease is among the most common digestive conditions. Both genders are affected equally by Diverticular disease and diverticulitis. However, the condition is more likely to appear at a younger age, i.e. below 50 in men as compared to women. Overall, symptoms of diverticulitis are most probable to occur in people more than 70 years old. Diverticular disease is usually called a “Western disease” as the rates are quite high in North American and European countries as compared to African and Asian countries. Below we have suggested some home remedies for diverticular and diverticulitis treatment. Before that let us know about the causes and symptoms first.
Causes of Diverticular and Diverticulitis
- Lack of fiber content in diet.
- Too much pressure on large intestine for passing food.
- Bacteria formation in Diverticula.
- High fat consumption
- Certain medication
- Lack of physical activity.
Symptoms of Diverticular and Diverticulitis
- Abdominal pain.
- Painful cramp
- Feeling bloated
- High temperature fever
- Frequent bowel movements
- Loss of appetite
Home Remedies for Diverticular and Diverticulitis Treatment
- Home Remedies for Diverticular and Diverticulitis Treatment
- 1.) Marshmallow as a Remedy for Diverticular and Diverticulitis Natural Treatment
- 2.) Ginger to Prevent Diverticular and Diverticulitis
- 3.) Flaxseed as a Remedy for Diverticular and Diverticulitis
- 4.) Aloe Vera for Diverticular and Diverticulitis
- 5.) Garlic to Treat Diverticular and Diverticulitis
- 6.) Chamomile To Treat Diverticular and Diverticulitis Treatment
- 7.) Licorice to Treat Diverticular and Diverticulitis
- 8.) Lemon for Diverticular and Diverticulitis Treatment
- 9.) Slippery Elm for Diverticulitis Treatment
- 10.) Probiotics for Diverticular Treatment
1.) Marshmallow as a Remedy for Diverticular and Diverticulitis Natural Treatment
Marshmallow is known to have an anti-inflammatory and soothing effect. It also helps in reducing irritation. So, marshmallow is quite useful in the treating Diverticular disease and Diverticulitis. It helps soothe inflammation in the digestive tract and encourages healthy bowel movements.
- Add 5 grams of dried marshmallow root in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for about 5 minutes.
- After steeping for 5 minutes, strain it in a cup.
- Drink this herbal tea 3 times daily for effective results.
- You can add 2 tbsp of dried marshmallow root in ¼ of water.
- Allow it to sit overnight.
- In the morning, strain it and drink the liquid several times in a day.
- Remember to avoid marshmallow if you have diabetes condition.
2.) Ginger to Prevent Diverticular and Diverticulitis
Ginger has a soothing effect on the intestine, which makes it one of the best home remedies for Diverticular and Diverticulitis. Ginger helps reduce intestinal gas, nausea and cramping related with this problem. Also, it helps lower the risk of Diverticulitis by keeping the large intestine free from dangerous microbes.
- Take 2 inch cube of ginger root and cut them into slices.
- Take one cup of water and simmer the slices on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Strain it after 10 minutes.
- Drink the mixture before your meal.
- Drink no more than three cups per day, one before every meal.
- Alternatively, you can also go for ginger capsules.
- Take minimum 2,000 milligrams 3 times daily.
- But, consult your doctor before taking such herbal supplements.
3.) Flaxseed as a Remedy for Diverticular and Diverticulitis
Flaxseed is another effective treatment of Diverticular disease. Flaxseed has natural fiber present in it which act as a bulk-forming laxative. This means that flaxseed helps soften the stool and makes the passing through the intestine easy and smooth. In addition, flaxseed is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. It help reduce inflammation.
- Add 1 tbsp of ground flaxseed in a glass of warm water.
- Drink the mixture 2 times daily, one before breakfast and other before going to bed.
- Alternatively, you can mix ground flaxseed to yogurt, cereal, fruit and other healthy foods.
- You can consume 15 grams of ground flaxseed each day.
4.) Aloe Vera for Diverticular and Diverticulitis
Aloe Vera is popular for different health diseases and conditions. It is also quite useful home remedy for treating Diverticular disease and diverticulitis. Aloe Vera is known to have significant laxative properties which help maintain normal intestinal flora. Plus, it promotes and stimulate bowel movements and removal of unused products. It also helps enhance the immune system and lowers inflammation and swelling.
- Extract out Aloe Vera gel from the Aloe Vera leaves.
- Mix the extracted content with a glass of warm water.
- Drink it 2 times a day for effective results.
- Alternatively, you can buy Aloe Vera juice from the store as well.
- Drink ½ cup of Aloe Vera juice 3 times a day for a few months to see results.
- Drink it once in the morning on an empty stomach.
5.) Garlic to Treat Diverticular and Diverticulitis
Garlic is known to have natural antibiotic properties. It helps in proper digestion and thus it is considered to be an ideal remedy for preventing Diverticular and Diverticulitis. It is also useful in treating gas and bloating issue which are responsible for causing diverticulitis.
- Peel the skin of one garlic clove and chop it thoroughly before consuming it.
- Consume it 3 times daily for several weeks.
- Other than that, you can take 2 garlic capsules 3 times daily instead of garlic clove.
- But, it is recommended to consult doctor before taking up garlic supplements.
6.) Chamomile To Treat Diverticular and Diverticulitis Treatment
Chamomile is carminative in nature, which means it helps in relieving flatulence. Chamomile helps stimulate the digestive system and eases the stomach. It is also useful to have a better sleep. Such properties make chamomile a one of the best remedies for Diverticular and Diverticulitis.
- Mix 2 to 3 tsp of dried chamomile in a cup of hot water.
- Cover and steep the mixture for around 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, strain and mix 1 tsp of honey in it.
- Drink 3 cups of chamomile tea daily for better results.
- Avoid chamomile if you are pregnant, taking birth control or blood-thinning medicines.
7.) Licorice to Treat Diverticular and Diverticulitis
Licorice contains anti-inflammatory qualities which help get rid of diverticulitis naturally. licorice helps reduce inflammation and spasms in the gastrointestinal tract. Also, it helps in reducing bulk and softening the stool.
- Mix ½ tsp of licorice root powder in a cup of water.
- Boil the mixture for a few minutes before strain it.
- Drink it about half an hour before meals.
- Repeat this remedy 2 to 3 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can also have licorice tablets daily instead of above suggestion.
- But do consult your doctor before taking up such supplements.
- Avoid this remedy or consult doctor for taking licorice, if you suffer from kidney disease, high blood pressure, heart disorder, hypokalemia.
8.) Lemon for Diverticular and Diverticulitis Treatment
Lemon’s antioxidant properties makes it one of the effective home remedies for Diverticular and Diverticulitis. Lemon helps maintain the body’s pH balance. Also, lemon is known to be rich in Vitamin C which helps the digestive system in flushing waste materials and toxins out of the body. Lemon also enhances immune system.
- Add the one lemon juice in a glass of warm water.
- Mix a pinch of sea salt and a 1 tsp of honey to lemon water. Mix it properly.
- Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
- Do this for several months.
9.) Slippery Elm for Diverticulitis Treatment
Slippery elm, is another fine remedy for treating Diverticular and Diverticulitis due to its large mucilage content. Slippery elm, is a great demulcent which help protects irritated tissue, lowers inflammation and pain, and encourages healing.
- Add 1 tsp of slippery elm bark powder in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Mix 1 tsp of sugar and a pinch of cinnamon powder. Mix it well.
- Drink 1 to 2 cups of this solution 2 times daily.
10.) Probiotics for Diverticular Treatment
Probiotics are active microorganisms which are similar to useful microorganisms located in the human gut. Probiotics are normally “good bacteria” which help maintain the health of the intestines and improve the digestion process.
- You can have probiotic supplements such as Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus acidophilus and Saccharomyces boulardii. These can be taken every day between meals.
- The recommended dosage is between 200 to 250 mg.
- Alternatively, you can consume probiotic-enhanced foods such as milk or yogurt and soy beverages.