Never go on size. Tiny things hurt a lot and so does a splinter. Splinter may seem small but when it comes to the removal, here is where the actual problem arises. Some people even try to dig under the skin with tweezers and needle. It is quite painful but not the effective way to remove a splinter. If you are looking for a few quick and painless methods to get rid of a splinter then you have clicked the right link. This article deals with the various effective remedies that are used to remove a splinter with the help of baking soda.
Splinters are very small pieces of glass, wood, plastic or metal that have lodged under the skin. They are very painful and should be removed as soon as possible. It can commonly pierce the skin on fingers and even in the feet. Children are very prone to this problem as they spend a lot of time playing outdoors.
Symptoms of Splinters:
- Feeling pain
- Bleeding may or may not occur
- Sever cases may even cause infection
Causes of Splinters:
- Thorns of plants may cause splinters while gardening.
- Applying friction to the object may cause a small portion to dislodge the person.
- Butchers may have splinters when a bone penetrate their skin.
- When a person walks on a rough wooden deck.
- While stepping on shards of glass, some splinters may lodge into your skin.
How Does Baking Soda Help to Remove a Splinter?
Splinters are fragments of glass, wood and metal that can lodge in your skin. Baking soda is one of the best home remedies that can remove a splinter without pain. This is because Baking soda contains anti-bacterial properties that can prevent your feet from infections. It also contains sodium and water which helps to easily push the splinter out from the skin, when applied to the affected area. In order to learn the methods of splinter removal using Baking Soda, keep reading further.
Remedies to Remove Splinters with Baking Soda:
If the splinters are not treated on time then it may cause an infection. So, it is always advised to eliminate the splinter as soon as it gets lodged into your skin. Here, we will discuss methods to remove a splinter with baking soda.
1.) Remove a Splinter with Baking Soda and Water
Baking soda is the best method for invisible splinters that are tiny and gets deeply embedded inside your skin. The baking soda paste helps the skin to swell, thus pushing the splinter out of the skin. This makes this method as one of the effective remedies to remove a splinter with baking soda.
Steps to Use Baking Soda and Water to Remove a Splinter:
- To make a thick paste take ¼ tsp of baking soda and add water to it.
- Apply this baking soda on the affected area.
- Then, secure it with a bandage to keep the paste in place.
- After 24 hours, you will see that the splinter is pushed out of the skin.
- If the splinter is visible, then use tweezers to pick it off and wash the skin gently.
- If the splinter is invisible but it is sticking out, then wash it off.
- Repeat this method in every 24 hours until the splinter is out.
2.) Remove a Splinter with Baking Soda and Flour
As we have already known the magical benefits of baking soda to get rid of splinters. Here is another remedy to use baking soda with flour in eliminating the splinter. Using it with flour is also very effective to remove a splinter effectively, without pain.
Steps to Use Baking Soda and Flour to Treat Splinters:
- Take enough baking soda and add some flour, water and a pinch of salt in it.
- Mix it well to make a paste.
- Once the paste is ready then apply it on the lodged area.
- Use a bandage to cover the area and keep the paste in place.
- Leave it to work overnight.
- This paste will help push out the splinter easily.
- Now, use tweezers to completely eliminate it from your skin.
3.) Get Rid of a Splinter with Baking Soda and Vinegar
One of the best and effective ways to remove a splinter is baking soda and vinegar as vinegar has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Apart from eliminating the splinter, Vinegar will also help in treating the infection (if any) and will also heal the tiny wound developed due to the splinter being pierced into the skin.
Steps to Use Baking Soda and Vinegar to Treat a Splinter:
- Take some baking soda.
- Add a little vinegar to it.
- Apply this paste on your splinter and then cover it with a bandage.
- This will help to keep the paste in place.
- After some time, remove the bandage.
- You will see that the splinter is pushed out of the skin.
- Use tweezers to eliminate it from the skin.
- If the splinter is not visible on the skin’s surface, do not dig the skin.
- Instead, repeat the remedy again.
- You will surely get the results this time.
4.) Remove a Splinter with Baking Soda and Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is used for treating numerous ailments including splinters. It is a pure mineral compound of sulfate and magnesium that helps to remove the splinter without any pain. It also helps to ease the pain and swelling which may be a result of infection or just the tiny wound. This makes it as one of the effective remedy to remove a splinter with baking soda, when used with Epsom salt.
Steps to Use Baking Soda and Epsom Salt to Prevent Splinters:
- Add half a cup of Epsom salt and baking soda in warm water.
- Then, soak your feet in this water for ten minutes.
- This will soften and loosen the skin around the splinter, easily pushing it out towards the surface.
- Now, you can easily remove the splinter.
- You can also directly apply Epsom Salt to your splinter.
- Cover it with a bandage.
- After some time, remove it.
- You will either witness the head of the splinter over the skin’s surface,
- or the whole splinter stuck onto the bandage.
5.) Remove a Splinter with Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda
Hydrogen peroxide is one of the best home remedies to get rid of splinters. This is because, when used with baking soda, it helps to treat the infection (if any) or the tiny wound caused due to the pierced splinter into your skin. It also prevents the area from infection, pain, and swelling after removing the splinter.
Steps to Use Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide to Treat a Splinter:
- Take some baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and mix it well.
- Now, apply it to the splinter and cover it with a bandage.
- The skin around the splinter will loosen and it will become visible.
- Use a pair of tweezers to pull it out of your skin.
- Be patient and do not go harsh with your skin.
- This can further damage the skin, causing pain and may even result in infection.
Others Methods to Remove a Splinter:
There are some others methods also by which you can easily get rid of splinters.
6.) Baby Orajel to Remove a Splinter
- If the splinter is very painful, then you can use baby Orajel to the affected area.
- The baby Orajel will help to numb the area.
- After few minutes, rinse off your affected area.
- This will help to ease the pain while using various methods to remove the splinter.
7.) Glue to Remove a Splinter
- Use glue to get a rid of a splinter.
- Simply apply glue on the splinter.
- Allow it to dry then pull it off.
- The splinter will get stuck along with the glue.
- This will easily eliminate the splinter.
- Repeat the remedy another time if it does not work for the first time.
8.) Tweezers to Remove a Splinter
- Use tweezers to squeeze out the splinter but be careful do not squeeze it too hard.
- This can worsen the case causing pain and infection.
9.) Duct Tape to Remove a Splinter
- Apply a duct tape over the splinter.
- After half an hour peel it off and the splinter will come out with the tape.
10.) Bread to Remove a Splinter
- Place a piece of bread over the splinter.
- Use a band-aid to wrap the affected area.
- Leave it overnight and then remove it the next morning.
11.) Tomato or Potato to Remove a Splinter
- You can also use tomato or potato.
- Place a slice of potato or tomato on the splinter.
- Keep it for a few minutes.
- This will help to remove the splinter.
- Repeat the remedy as required.
- Avoid applying pressure to the are as this can push the splinter even deeper.
12.) Honey to Remove a Splinter
- Honey is also the best way to remove the splinter.
- Apply honey to the affected area as it will help to draw the splinter from the skin.
- It also helps the wound to heal without pain and infection.