In this article, we will talk about ways to remove a splinter. One of the most annoying things that can occur to a person is when he gets stuck by a splinter. A splinter could be anything like a part of a bigger glass, wood or any other material, which has broken into tiny little pieces. These tiny little pieces can easily penetrate your skin and can cause immense pain and misery. It may get stuck to your fingers, legs or feet and may reside deep inside. It is just not possible at times to remove it with your bare hands, mainly because of its minute size. Even though, people may suggest you many alternatives, but there are little chances of them actually working. In worse cases, it may even dig deeper into your skin.
To solve this problem, we here at howrid will provide you safe and alternative methods to remove a splinter. So let’s begin:
Ways to Remove Splinter:
1.) Hydrogen Peroxide to Remove a Splinter
Hydrogen peroxide is one of the known remedies that is used to get rid of a tiny splinter. This may be effective as it swells up the skin, elevating the splinter, out of the skin, which can then be easily removed easily. To use it for the same purpose, follow the steps below:
How to use Hydrogen Peroxide to remove a splinter?
- Put some hydrogen peroxide on the skin where the splinter is.
- Wait for the skin to swell up and for the splinter to come up.
- As soon as a part of the splinter comes out, remove it with a tweezers that has been sterilized using alcohol.
2.) White Vinegar to Remove a Splinter
For this one to work, you will have to keep some patience but the wait will be worth it. White vinegar works similar to hydrogen peroxide and is known to swell up the skin, making it easy to get rid of a stubborn splinter. Follow the steps below for a splinter-free skin:
How to use Vinegar to remove a splinter?
- Just dip the affected skin in white vinegar.
- Dip for a minimum period of 30 minutes.
- As the vinegar swells up the skin, the splinter will come out.
- When done, remove it with the help of a sterilized tweezers.
3.) Honey to Remove a Splinter
We all know about the antiseptic and healing properties of honey. The highly viscous substance can stick to the surface of the skin while forcing the splinter to come out of the skin. This makes it as an effective home remedy to remove a splinter.
How to use Honey to remove a splinter?
- Apply a good amount of honey all over the splinter area and let it remain there for some time.
- As the splinter sticks out, you can remove it manually, without any problem.
- Make sure not to eat the left out honey!
4.) Adhesive Tape to Remove a Splinter
This process is as simple as it can get. It does not involves any complications and one can easily use an adhesive tape to easily remove a splinter. This makes it as an effective home remedy to remove a splinter.
How to use an Adhesive Tape to remove a splinter?
- Just apply a good quality adhesive tape around the area where the splinter has penetrated the skin.
- Keep it there for a while and then remove it slowly.
- The splinter will stick to it and will come out.
- If it does not come out in the first attempt, continue the process till it sticks out.
- You can remove it without any hassles.
5.) Banana Peel to Remove a Splinter
The banana peel is the most underrated of all the remedies. It is commonly used by tribal’s to heal infected skin and wounds. Banana peel is effective to remove a splinter too. Just follow the simple steps below:
How to use Banana Peel to remove a splinter?
- Take the peel of a banana and wrap it around the splinter area.
- Fix it up with a bandage or a tape.
- Keep it there for some time.
- Remove it and you would notice that the splinter has come out.
- You can easily remove it now, thanks to banana power.
6.) Needle to Remove a Splinter
Although, highly effective to remove a splinter, you have to cautious with it. You should use a needle to remove a splinter only if it has not penetrated deep into the skin. If it is at the fist layers, then only should this remedy be used. Penetrating a needle deep into the skin can lead to infection and immense pain. To do it properly, look at the steps below:
How to use a Needle to remove a splinter?
- Take a needle and sterilize it with alcohol.
- After the sterilization process, gently press the needle to your skin.
- Rub the needle around the skin vertically. Move it in a swiping motion.
- Do not penetrate your skin with the needle directly.
- After some time, the splinter will come out.
- Remove it carefully and you are done.
7.) Baking Soda to Remove a Splinter
Baking soda is known for its antibacterial properties, and can be effective in getting rid of the splinter bothering you. To use baking soda for the same purpose follow the steps below:
How to use Baking Soda to remove a splinter?
- Just mix some baking soda with water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste over the affected area.
- Keep it there for a minimum of 15 minutes and you will notice the splinter is visible and can be removed.
- Remove it carefully and you are done.
8.) Epsom Salt to Remove a Splinter
Salt is one of the nature’s exfoliates, as it helps remove dead skin cells. The rejuvenation properties of salt could be used to remove the tiny little piece stuck there. Use Epsom salt, for the same purpose as it is more effective.
How to use Epsom Salt to remove a splinter?
- Just add a little Epsom salt on the sticky part of a bandage and wrap it over the splinter skin.
- Cover it up nicely and let it stay there for some time.
- Finally remove the salt and you will get rid of the menace.
9.) Tweezing to Remove a Splinter
One of the tools, used from ages to remove a splinter is a tweezers. Most of the remedies above use a tweezers in one way or the other. Here, just use it directly and follow the procedure below.
How to use Tweezers to remove a splinter?
- Sterilize your everyday tweezers with alcohol before use.
- Use the tool to gently remove the splinter.
- Finally, use a cotton ball soaked in some astringent to clean the area.
- Use it directly only if the splinter has not stuck deep inside.
10.) Eggs to Remove a Splinter
Your everyday eggs could be used to remove splinters. Guess what, for this one you don’t have to use the egg yolk itself but the egg shells. This makes it as an effective home remedy to remove a splinter easily.
How to use Eggs to remove a splinter?
- Just stick the egg shells on the splinter area.
- Let it stay there till the splinter sticks to the sticky surface of the egg-shell.
- Finally, remove the shell.
- The splinter will eventually come out and you are left with a splinter-free skin.