Sometimes you feel itching or irritating sensation in your throat. Itching in the throat is nothing, but it is basically an annoyance. You feel difficulty while eating, speaking and swallowing. It may be a symptom of cold or some kind of allergy, which is caused by the dry air. An itchy throat may disturb your sleep, distract you from your work. An itchy throat may occur due to bacterial, viral or fungal infection, pollution, acid reflux and smoke. An itchy throat is accompanied by stomach ache, the common cold, a headache and swollen glands in the neck. If you don’t treat an itchy throat on time, then it would be very painful. Here in this article, we will share some remedies or treatment to soothe an itchy throat.
Symptoms of Itchy Throat:
Causes of Itchy Throat:
- Viral infection
- Bacterial or fungal infection
- Irritants like smoke, pollution, acid reflux or dry air.
Best Remedies to Soothe an Itchy Throat:
Itchy throat is very painful. So you need to follow these methods to soothe an itchy throat.
1.) Salt Water to Soothe an Itchy Throat
The best way to get relief from an itchy throat is gargling with salt water. Salt works as an antiseptic and helps to move water out of mucous membranes in the throat. This reduces the inflammation and cuts phlegm, which gives you instant relief.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Treat an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Add one-half tbsp of salt into a glass of warm water.
- You can also add a little honey if you don’t like the salty taste.
- Use this solution to gargle. Don’t swallow this salty water.
- Do this at least 4 times a day to soothe your throat.
2.) Slippery Elm to Soothe an Itchy Throat Naturally
Slippery elm is a herb, which reduces irritation and itchiness in your throat. It contains mucilage, a gel-like substance, which coats your throat.
Steps to Use Slippery Elm to Cure an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Mix 1 tbsp of the inner bark of slippery elm in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Soak it for a few minutes. Strain the solution and drink it slowly.
- If you don’t get this herb, then you can buy slippery elm capsule from any medical store.
3.) Garlic to Soothe an Itchy Throat Naturally
Garlic is one of the effective home remedies for treating an itchy throat. Garlic has medicinal properties that can help treat or prevent an itchy throat. Garlic also contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
Steps to Use Garlic to Get Rid of an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Eat a raw garlic clove on a regular basis and the allicin compound is present in garlic. Allicin helps to kill the bacteria causing an itchy throat.
- An alternate method, you can also use garlic oil. Mix a few drops of garlic oil and one-fourth cup of water and gargle with this solution once a day for some days.
4.) Cinnamon to Get Relief from an Itchy Throat
Cinnamon is used for various ailments including an itchy throat as it is the best home remedy for treating an itchy throat. Cinnamon can be used to soothe an itchy throat, which is caused by the common cold.
Steps to Use Cinnamon to Prevent an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Mix 1 tsp each of cinnamon powder, black pepper powder in a glass of warm water. You can also add cardamom. Strain this solution and gargle with it 2 to 3 times a day to get instant relief from an itchy throat.
- Another method is to add a few drops of cinnamon oil in 1 tsp of pure honey. Eat this 2 times a day to get relief from the inflammation and pain associated with an itchy throat.
5.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Soothe an Itchy Throat
One of the best home remedies for treating an itchy throat is apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar contains antibacterial properties and is helpful in curing an itchy throat.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp each of lemon juice and honey in a cup of warm water and drink it slowly. Do this 2 to 3 times a day. Soon, you will get relief from the pain and itching throat.
- You can also prepare a gargle solution with apple cider vinegar. Add 1 tsp of salt in 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of warm water. Gargle with this solution few times a day.
6.) Lemon to Stop an Itchy Throat Instantly
Fresh lemons are very helpful to treat an itchy throat as they help to remove mucus.
Steps to Use Lemon to Get Relief from an Itchy Throat:
- Extract the juice from half a lemon.
- Add it to 1 tsp of honey and 1 cup of warm water.
- Sip it slowly for better results.
- Another method is to add fresh lemon juice in a glass of water and gargle with it.
7.) Turmeric to Soothe an Itchy Throat Naturally
Turmeric is a great remedy for an itchy throat because of its strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Stop an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Add one-quarter tsp of turmeric powder into a glass of warm water.
- Sip this solution slowly in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Drink it once a day for 3 to 4 days, then you will get rid of an itchy throat.
8.) Honey to Soothe a Scratchy Throat Fast & Naturally
Honey can help to fight the infection and increase the healing process due to its antibacterial properties, which are very beneficial for an itchy throat.
Steps to Use Honey to Get Rid of a Scratchy Throat:
- Mix 1 to 2 tbsp of honey in a cup of hot water and drink it many times a day.
- You can also mix honey in a cup of herbal tea.
- Before bedtime, eat 1 tsp of honey as it will give you soothing relief in the throat.
9.) Fenugreek to Soothe an Itchy Throat Fast
Fenugreek contains mucus-dissolving properties, which will give you instant relief from inflammation and pain. You can make a gargle solution using fenugreek seeds, which is very effective for soothing an itchy throat.
Steps to Use Fenugreek to Treat an Itchy Throat:
- Mix 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in 6 cups of water.
- Heat it for about half an hour.
- Allow, it to cool at room temperature and then strain this solution.
- Gargle with this solution 3 to 4 times a day.
10.) Marshmallow Root to Soothe an Itchy Throat
Mucilage present in marshmallow root helps to soothe an itchy throat. Marshmallow root tea is great for an itchy throat, caused by a common cough and cold.
Steps to Use Marshmallow to Cure an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Mix 1 tbsp of dried marshmallow root to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for about half an hour.
- Strain the solution, add a little honey and drink it slowly.
- You can drink 3 cups of herbal tea in a day.
Useful Tips to Prevent an Itchy Throat:
- A pregnant woman and those people who have a problem in breathing should avoid throat spray.
- You should consult a doctor if your itchy throat is caused by a bacterial infection.
- Use Listerine mouthwash for gargling as it will give relief from an itchy throat.
- Too much talk, singing or shouting can cause itchiness in your throat.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks such as soda, coffee and tea that can lead to dehydration.
- Avoid smoking as smoking can dry your throat and can lead to irritation and itchiness.