Sometimes you feel itching or irritating sensation in your throat. Itching in the throat is nothing, but it is basically an annoyance. You feel difficulty while eating, speaking and swallowing. It may be a symptom of cold or some kind of allergy, which is caused by the dry air. An itchy throat may disturb your sleep, distract you from your work. An itchy throat may occur due to bacterial, viral or fungal infection, pollution, acid reflux and smoke. Itchy throat is accompanied by stomach ache, the common cold, a headache and swollen glands in the neck. If you don’t treat an itchy throat on time, then it would be very painful. Here in this article, we will share some remedies or treatment to soothe an itchy throat.
Symptoms of Itchy Throat:
Causes of Itchy Throat:
- Viral infection
- Bacterial or fungal infection
- Irritants like smoke, pollution, acid reflux or dry air.
Best Remedies to Soothe an Itchy Throat:
Itchy throat is very painful. So you need to follow these methods to soothe an itchy throat.
1.) Salt Water to Soothe an Itchy Throat
The best way to get relief from an itchy throat is gargling with salt water. Salt works as an antiseptic and helps to move water out of mucous membranes in the throat. This reduces the inflammation and cuts phlegm, which gives you instant relief.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Treat an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Add one-half tbsp of salt into a glass of warm water.
- You can also add a little honey if you don’t like the salty taste.
- Use this solution to gargle. Don’t swallow this salty water.
- Do this at least 4 times a day to soothe your throat.
2.) Slippery Elm to Soothe an Itchy Throat Naturally
Slippery elm is a herb, which reduces irritation and itchiness in your throat. It contains mucilage, a gel-like substance, which coats your throat.
Steps to Use Slippery Elm to Cure an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Mix 1 tbsp of the inner bark of slippery elm in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Soak it for a few minutes. Strain the solution and drink it slowly.
- If you don’t get this herb, then you can buy slippery elm capsule from any medical store.
3.) Garlic to Soothe an Itchy Throat Naturally
Garlic is one of the effective home remedies for treating an itchy throat. It has medicinal properties that can help treat or prevent an itchy throat. Garlic also contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
Steps to Use Garlic to Get Rid of an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Eat a raw garlic clove on a regular basis and the allicin compound is present in garlic. Allicin helps to kill the bacteria causing an itchy throat.
- An alternate method, you can also use garlic oil. Mix a few drops of garlic oil and one-fourth cup of water and gargle with this solution once a day for some days.
4.) Cinnamon to Get Relief from an Itchy Throat
Cinnamon is used for various ailments including an itchy throat as it is the best home remedy for treating an itchy throat. It can be used to soothe an itchy throat, which is caused by the common cold.
Steps to Use Cinnamon to Prevent an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Mix 1 tsp each of cinnamon powder, black pepper powder in a glass of warm water. You can also add cardamom. Strain this solution and gargle with it 2 to 3 times a day to get instant relief from an itchy throat.
- Another method is to add a few drops of cinnamon oil in 1 tsp of pure honey. Eat this 2 times a day to get relief from the inflammation and pain associated with an itchy throat.
5.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Soothe an Itchy Throat
One of the best home remedies for treating an itchy throat is apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar contains antibacterial properties and is helpful in curing an itchy throat.
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tbsp each of lemon juice and honey in a cup of warm water and drink it slowly. Do this 2 to 3 times a day. Soon, you will get relief from the pain and itching throat.
- You can also prepare a gargle solution with apple cider vinegar. Add 1 tsp of salt in 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of warm water. Gargle with this solution few times a day.
6.) Lemon to Stop an Itchy Throat Instantly
Fresh lemons are very helpful to treat an itchy throat as they help to remove mucus.
Steps to Use Lemon to Get Relief from an Itchy Throat:
- Extract the juice from half a lemon.
- Add it to 1 tsp of honey and 1 cup of warm water.
- Sip it slowly for better results.
- Another method is to add fresh lemon juice in a glass of water and gargle with it.
7.) Turmeric to Soothe an Itchy Throat Naturally
Turmeric is a great remedy for an itchy throat because of its strong antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Stop an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Add one-quarter tsp of turmeric powder into a glass of warm water.
- Sip this solution slowly in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Drink it once a day for 3 to 4 days, then you will get rid of an itchy throat.
8.) Honey to Soothe a Scratchy Throat Fast & Naturally
Honey can help to fight the infection and increase the healing process due to its antibacterial properties, which are very beneficial for an itchy throat. It is a wonderful remedy for both children and adults. But it is recommended that children below 2 years of age should not eat honey.
Steps to Use Honey to Get Rid of a Scratchy Throat:
- Mix 1 to 2 tbsp of honey in a cup of hot water and drink it many times a day.
- You can also mix honey in a cup of herbal tea.
- Before bedtime, eat 1 tsp of honey as it will give you soothing relief in the throat.
9.) Fenugreek to Soothe an Itchy Throat Fast
Fenugreek contains mucus-dissolving properties, which will give you instant relief from inflammation and pain. You can make a gargle solution using fenugreek seeds, which is very effective for soothing an itchy throat.
Steps to Use Fenugreek to Treat an Itchy Throat:
- Mix 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in 6 cups of water.
- Heat it for about half an hour.
- Allow, it to cool at room temperature and then strain this solution.
- Gargle with this solution 3 to 4 times a day.
10.) Marshmallow Root to Soothe an Itchy Throat
Mucilage present in marshmallow root helps to soothe an itchy throat. Marshmallow root tea is great for an itchy throat, caused by a common cough and cold.
Steps to Use Marshmallow to Cure an Itchy Throat Fast:
- Mix 1 tbsp of dried marshmallow root to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Allow it to steep for about half an hour.
- Strain the solution, add a little honey and drink it slowly.
- You can drink 3 cups of herbal tea in a day.
11.) Licorice Root to Soothe Itchy Throat
This is one of the best home remedies to soothe itchy throat. It is a wonderful demulcent and expectorant that thins the mucus and eases congestion. It minimizes the inflammation that is caused by itchy throat. The glycyrrhizin present in licorice root helps in treating itchy throat. Follow the steps given below to reduce the inflammation fast.
- Boil 8 ounces of water.
- Mix two tablespoons of dried licorice root.
- Cover the water with a lid and let the licorice root steep for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drink one cup of this water daily to see the effective results.
12.) Peppermint Candies to Get Rid of Itchy Throat
This is one of the most effective remedies to get rid of itchy throat. The menthol present in lozenges helps to get relive from the itchy throat. It also gives relief from the inflammation and pain caused due to itchy throat. Peppermint candies have same effects as lozenges. The candies produce more saliva and hence keep your throat lubricated. Peppermint candies do not last longer so you need to eat them again and again. This remedy is not recommended for young children because there are more chances they can choke themselves.
13.) Carrot Juice to Soothe Itchy Throat
This is one of the best home remedies to soothe itchy throat. The vitamins and nutrients present in carrot juice helps to relieve the symptoms of sore throat. It also strengthens the immunity. Follow the steps given below to get rid of itchy throat.
- Take 4 to 5 fresh carrots and extract its juice.
- Mix some water to dilute it.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to add taste and increase its effectiveness.
- Drink this fresh carrot juice 3 to 4 times a day to get quick results.
14.) Almonds to Cure Itchy Throat
This is one of the tastiest remedies to cure itchy throat. It has nutritional values that play an important role in healing the sore throat symptoms. The best thing about this remedy is that there are no side effects. No doubt cough syrup solves the problem instantly but there are always some side effects. Follow the steps given below to get rid of itchy throat completely.
- Leave 5 to 6 almonds in water overnight.
- Grind the soaked almonds to make a smooth paste.
- Mix one teaspoon of butter in it.
- Consume this paste 3 to 4 times a day to heal the itchy throat completely.
15.) Thyme Tea to Get Rid of Itchy Throat
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of itchy throat. The strong antimicrobial properties present in thyme will help you to treat the inflammation and bacterial infection. Thyme opens up the airways and reduces cough and the scratchy and itchy sensations. Follow the steps given below to soothe an itchy throat.
- Boil 8 ounces of water.
- Add some fresh thyme sprigs and cover the pan.
- Allow it to steep for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add a little amount of honey and lemon for taste.
- Repeat the remedy until you get rid of itchy throat completely.
16.) Milk and Turmeric to Soothe Itchy Throat
This is one of the best home remedies to soothe an itchy throat. The antiseptic properties of turmeric alleviate the inflammation. Try to add some ginger to increase the effectiveness of this solution. Follow the steps given below to get instant relief.
- Boil a cup of milk and piece of ginger together.
- Strain the milk and add one teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- You can even mix some honey to add sweetness.
- Allow it to cool down a little.
- Drink this milk daily before bedtime.
17.) Ginger Peppermint Syrup to Get Rid of Itchy Throat
The expectorant properties of ginger will help loosen the mucus and expel it from the lungs. It also stops the painful tickle at the back of the throat which is responsible for triggering cough. Peppermint also gives an instant relief from an itchy throat. Follow the steps given below to get rid of itchy throat fast.
- In four cups of water, add 3 tablespoons of finely chopped ginger.
- Add one tablespoon of dried peppermint.
- Bring this water to a boil and then simmer the flame.
- Continue heating it until the liquid becomes half.
- Strain the liquid and leave it to cool down.
- Mix one cup of honey and leave it until it dissolves completely.
- Store this syrup in a jar.
- Take it every few hours to get relief.
- You can store this syrup in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks.
18.) Cayenne Pepper to Soothe an Itchy Throat
This is one of the best home remedies to soothe an itchy throat. It is warm and stimulating which makes it such an effective remedy. Cayenne pepper not only reduces the itch but also minimizes the pain that is caused by continuous coughing. It gives fast relief by numbing the pain. Follow the steps given below to get effective results.
- In two tablespoons of water, add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix one fourth teaspoon of each grounded ginger and cayenne pepper.
- Add one tablespoon of honey and mix the mixture well.
- Consume this syrup 3 to 4 times a day to get quick relief.
19.) Grapes to Cure an Itchy Throat
This is one of the most effective home remedies for itchy throat. It is a perfect remedy to get relief from the annoying lung conditions. The expectorant properties of grapes help the mucus to loosen and release it from the lungs. It is very important to dissolve the mucus if you want to stop the cough and itching sensation. All you need to do is drink atleast half cup of grape juice 2 to 3 times a day. It is suggested to drink fresh grape juice rather than packed one. You can even add one spoon of honey to soothe the throat and make this remedy even more effective.
20.) Hydration and Health to Soothe an Itchy Throat
This is one of the simplest methods to soothe an itchy throat. Keeping your throat hydrated ensures that saliva and mucus are secreted in normal quantities. In order to soothe an itchy throat, it is necessary to keep your throat hydrated and lubricated. One of the simplest tricks to keep your throat lubricated is to drink plenty of water. It is recommended to drink 8 glasses of water per day. Water can easily soothe an itchy throat. Hot chicken soup and certain hot beverages can also helps to soothe the scratchy and itchy sensation.
Useful Tips to Prevent an Itchy Throat:
- A pregnant woman and those people who have a problem in breathing should avoid throat spray.
- You should consult a doctor if your itchy throat is caused by a bacterial infection.
- Use Listerine mouthwash for gargling as it will give relief from an itchy throat.
- Too much talk, singing or shouting can cause itchiness in your throat.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks such as soda, coffee and tea that can lead to dehydration.
- Avoid smoking as smoking can dry your throat and can lead to irritation and itchiness.