After writing, how to cure an sore throat?, how to get rid of canker sores?, how to get rid of cold sores?, we are now writing the top home remedies for sore on the tongue. The tongue is one of the most sensitive parts of our body. Any damage or infection to the tongue may cause acute pain and discomfort in the mouth. Sore tongue is one such tongue condition. This condition can be mild to severe. Sore tongue can occur suddenly and can heal on its own sometimes. If, you use home remedies for sore on the tongue then you can heal the sore tongue faster.
Although this condition does not possess any serious threat, but it can be a symptom of an underlying deadly disease. It is therefore necessary to treat your sore tongue condition timely so as to prevent the condition from getting worse. It is very easy to treat this condition at home. Therefore, we have mentioned below some of the best home remedies for sore on the tongue. These remedies simple, easy and very effective. We will also providing you with information related to the soreness on the tongue and as well as some brief information about the symptoms and causes of a sore tongue.
What is Sore Tongue?
- Home Remedies for Sore on The Tongue:
- 1.) Use The Licorice Root
- 2.) Apply The Aloe Vera Gel
- 3.) Use The Honey
- 4.) Apply The Alum
- 5.) Make Your Own Sage Mouthwash
- 6.) Use The Cayenne Pepper
- 7.) Use Lavender Essential Oil
- 8.) Baking Soda Will Help
- 9.) Salt Water Gargling
- 10.) Use Hydrogen Peroxide
- 11.) Milk of Magnesia Will Help
- 12.) Tea Bags Do The Job
- 13.) Take Help From Vitamins
- 14.) Use The Glycerin
- 15.) Use Peepal Leaves
- 16.) Have Ripe Papaya
- 17.) Curd And Rice Diet
- Types of Sore on The Tongue:
Because tongue is one of the most sensitive parts of your body, having a sore tongue will definitely bring you a great amount of discomfort and pain especially while chewing and talking. Sore tongue can appear under various forms, which include red lumps, small bumps or even raised areas on the tongue.
What Causes Sore on The Tongue?
The causes of sore tongue are really hard to be identified. However, there are a few common reasons which may lead to a sore tongue and includes biting tongue accidentally or if the tongue is injured from using toothbrush or even a toothpick. Also there are a few other causes such as: Smoking, Certain medical conditions, Oral cancer, Enlarged papillae, Canker sores, Biting your tongue accidentally, Consuming something too hot or spicy, Injuring tongue while brushing, Heredity, Viral infection, Changes of hormone in your body, Weakening immune system, Consumption of salty or spicy foods, Disorders or intestines or stomach, Stress, and Lack of vitamins and minerals such as folic acid, zinc, B vitamins and iron.
Home Remedies for Sore on The Tongue:
1.) Use The Licorice Root
If you are suffering from high blood pressure, you should avoid this remedy. Licorice contains healing and medicinal properties to treat sore on tongue. These properties are very effective in treating a sore tongue. This aromatic plant is known for having excellent anti-inflammatory qualities, which helps to relax and soothe the affected area fast. It is one of the top home remedies for sore tongue.
- Add 1 tsp of licorice root powder with sufficient water to make a fine paste. Using a cotton swab, apply this paste on the concerned area. Let the paste sit for several minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Do this a few times daily. Alternatively, you can make mouthwash by keeping 1 tbsp of licorice root in 3 cups of water for several hours. Rinse your mouth with this water a few times daily to treat ulcers on your tongue.
2.) Apply The Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera is among the most powerful remedies to treat different body ailments. This is one of the most effective remedies for white tongue. Sore tongue is one of them. Aloe vera contains many healing and curing properties that help speed up the process of healing process. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help to alleviate inflammation and pain in your tongue.
- Take a few fresh Aloe Vera leaves, cut them and extract the gel out of them. Apply, the gel simply to the sore area. Repeat the process a few times every day.
- You can also swish your mouth with aloe vera juice 3-4 times daily or until the soreness from your tongue goes. Aloe vera is also very effective ingredient to get rid of mouth ulcer.
3.) Use The Honey
Honey is among the best remedies for treating sore on tongue and other different oral problems. Sore tongue is one such oral problem to cure easily with honey. Honey is known to have fine healing and soothing qualities. These qualities can help alleviate pain and inflammation caused due to sore tongue. Honey is one of the top home remedies for sore on the tongue.
- Using a cotton swab, apply a thin layer of honey on the concerned area of your tongue.
- Leave it for a few minutes before washing your mouth. Repeat this a few times daily for quick relief. Honey is also very useful for treating mouth ulcers treatment.
4.) Apply The Alum
Alum is known to have fine antiseptic and astringent properties and very helpful for sore on tongue. It can help alleviate pain and inflammation naturally. Alum also boosts the healing process by eliminating moisture from the sore tongue. Alum is one of the best home remedies for sore tongue treatment.
- Take a little amount of alum powder and apply it directly on the affected part of your tongue.
- Let it sit for a minute before spitting it out. Do not swallow it. Wash your mouth with warm water. Do this once daily until your condition improves.
5.) Make Your Own Sage Mouthwash
Sage is another useful remedy to get rid of sore on tongue at home. The Sage herb has relaxing properties, which help lower pain and inflammation. In addition to this, it has a drying and astringent effect on your sore tongue.
- Take a handful of fresh sage leaves and boil them in enough water for 3-5 minutes.
- Simmer it for 5 minutes afterwards. Strain the solution and add a few drops of tincture of myrrh and allow the solution cool.
- Replace this solution with your mouthwash. Rinse your mouth a few times a day.
6.) Use The Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper has capsaicin, which helps temporarily desensitize the nerves. These nerves are responsible for causing pain. Therefore, cayenne pepper can be useful to alleviate pain and inflammation caused due to sore tongue. It is one of the perfect home remedies for sore tongue.
- Mix a little bit of cayenne pepper powder with sufficient amount of water to make a fine paste.
- Take this paste and apply affected part of your tongue. It may cause irritation is starting, but it will not be for a long period.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times daily for treating sore tongue faster.
7.) Use Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender essential oil is another excellent ingredient to cure your sore on tongue. This essential oil helps alleviate inflammation and pain. Other than that, it helps boost up the healing process and repair skin faster.
- Take a few drops of lavender essential oil and mix it well with a cup of warm water.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution several times a day until condition improves.
- Alternatively, you can add 3 drops of lavender oil with 1 tsp of honey in ¼ cup of hot water.
- Dilute the solution with ½ glass of cold water. Use this solution a few times daily as a mouthwash.
8.) Baking Soda Will Help
Baking soda is also a strong remedy to treat several oral problem such as sore on tongue. It is known to have anti-inflammatory properties, which are quite helpful in relaxing and soothing pain and inflammation in your sore tongue.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda with a little water to make a paste. Apply it to the affected area for 1 minute, then rinse it off with warm water.
- You can also mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and use the solution as a mouth rinse several times a day. Use either of these remedies 3 or 4 times daily, until you get rid of the problem.
9.) Salt Water Gargling
Salt is one of the most common remedies for different oral problems. Sore tongue is one of the oral problem. Salt acts as a natural antiseptic, which prevents infection in your sore tongue. It helps alleviate pain and inflammation as well.
- Add 1 tsp of salt in 1 cup of lukewarm water and mix it well. Use this solution as mouthwash several times daily, until the your condition improves.
- Another option is to apply, a little bit of salt directly on the affected area. This will help in drying out the sore tongue fast. Salt water is also useful for sore throat treatment.
10.) Use Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is one of the most effective home remedies to treat sore on tongue. This ingredient acts as an excellent antiseptic against a sore tongue. It also contains powerful anti-bacterial properties, which helps lower the risk of infection.
- Use 3% hydrogen peroxide for sore tongue. Mix same amounts of 3% hydrogen peroxide and lukewarm water. Soak the cotton ball in the solution and apply it on the tongue.
- Allow, it for a several seconds before swishing your mouth with warm water. Repeat this several times daily for a few days.
11.) Milk of Magnesia Will Help
Sipping a small amount of milk of magnesia and using it as a mouth rinse is a great sore tongue treatment. All you need to do is to make sure that you rinse the canker sore itself. This sore tongue treatment takes the advantage of milk of magnesia’s natural antacid properties. These work by neutralizing the acids in the mouth that can cause your canker sore to sting. You can also dab the milk of magnesia directly onto the canker sores with the help of a cotton swab. Repeat the remedy 3 to 4 times a day for better results.
12.) Tea Bags Do The Job
Tea is known to have tannins that are best known to speed up the natural healing process. It is alkaline in nature so it will help to neutralize the acids that tend to irritate sore tongue. Tea is also known to contain compounds that may help to provide relief from pain. You can also apply a damp tea bag to the canker sore and keep it for five minutes. Repeat until you get relief from the pain and discomfort.
13.) Take Help From Vitamins
Many experts also think that lysine which is an amino acid, may be required in order to fix the deficiency associated with canker sores. We recommend that you should always check with your doctor if in case you are willing to take 500 milligrams of L-lysine thrice a day until your sore is healed.
Vitamin C is also known helpful in sore tongue treatment as it works to heal your mouth’s mucous membranes. Where citrus fruits that are loaded with vitamin C, might actually cause canker sores in some people; having 1,000 milligrams vitamin C supplements thrice a day can help to treat canker sores. Zinc is yet another home remedy to try for sore tongue treatment. As soon as you witness a sore developing on the tongue or in any place inside the mouth, take 30 milligrams of zinc lozenges each day until the soreness is treated.
14.) Use The Glycerin
Glycerin is one of the simplest and the most easily available natural cures for sore tongue treatment. All that you need to do is to take a few drops of the glycerin and apply it all over the tongue and the other affected areas. The only thing that you need to make sure is not to swallow it immediately. Also, applying glycerin will give you instant relief from lesions and will also reduce the burning and irritation along with the pain.
15.) Use Peepal Leaves
The leaves of the peepal tree are very beneficial for sore tongue treatment. All you need to do is to make a tea using some peepal leaves and let it boil in hot water for about a good 5 to 10 minutes. After steeping, add a few drops of honey to it and let it cool. This will improve the taste of the steeped liquid. Now, strain the mixture and keep drinking it the whole day. As an alternative, you can also use the paste of the leaves to be applied on the tongue.
16.) Have Ripe Papaya
Ripe papaya is a great remedy for sore tongue treatment. You can simply add papaya to your daily diet so that you can get relief from the symptoms of sore tongue. Papaya is known to have natural healing properties that coats the tongue and does not allow further damage to the already sore tongue. With the use of papaya blisters are healed faster and the acidity in the mouth, which causes worsening of the problem, is reduced too.
17.) Curd And Rice Diet
Curd and rice diet is highly suggested as a natural cure when suffering from canker sores or a sore tongue. Basically if you have a sore tongue, excessive warm food or having too much of chilly can inflame the area. You need to have some probiotics for the healing of sore tongue. Also, curd and rice is suggested because the food is mild in nature, not very warm and can be easily chewed. It alleviates the symptoms of a sore and burning tongue and also helps in faster healing.
Types of Sore on The Tongue:
Canker Sores: These are oral blisters that form as one of the most common oral problems. Most of the people experience the discomfort caused due to canker sores at some point in their life. These are usually small, less than one-third of an inch in diameter and appear on the inside surface of your cheeks, under the tongue or on your gums. It is not necessary that the sores will always appear on the tongue itself. These sores may be white or yellow in the center with a red border. At the initial stage, these are painful red spots or bumps that develop into open ulcers when ignored.
Canker sores usually tend to carry a general sense of discomfort. Although the pain goes away on its own within a week or 10 days, it can even take three or more weeks for the ulcers to heal on their own. These painful sores can be caused by emotional stress, hormonal shifts, lower immune system. Celiac disease can also be a cause of canker sores. It is always advised to maintain good oral hygiene. This can be done through daily brushing and flossing, and rinsing your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash such as Colgate. Its bubbling properties clean the mouth gently while reducing the irritation due to canker sores and promote quicker healing.
Candidiasis: Also known referred as thrush, candidiasis is an overgrowth of the Candida fungus, which grows naturally in your mouth. It slowly develops whenever the bacteria protecting your oral tissues are compromised. This can be either through the use of antibiotics, medication-induced dry mouth or ill-fitting dental appliances. Take a look below at the symptoms of oral thrush:
- A bad or reduced sense of taste, White, cheesy-looking patches of fungus.
- Tongue blisters or red, inflamed patches of tissue, often hidden by fungi.
- Cracked, red areas of skin at the corners of your mouth.
Candidiasis usually disappears within a week to 10 days with the help of consistent treatment. If the problem extends beyond this time or recurs frequently, it is recommended to consult your doctor for better guidance and sore tongue treatment. The doctor may recommend testing for conditions such as diabetes, HIV or cancer.
Physicians commonly prescribe antifungal treatments for sore tongue caused due to candidiasis. These are either in the form of lozenges or mouth rinses used for mild cases or a regimen of tablets for more severe conditions. Over time, the patients have been known to develop immunity against these treatments, so the doctors are careful about recommending them for every case of the fungal infection. Nevertheless, it is important to maintain good daily oral hygiene, avoid the use of antibiotics unless absolutely necessary and always make sure that your mouth remains well hydrated.
Injuries: Oral injuries can also result in a sore tongue. Injured tongue can also result in sores resembling tongue blisters. For instance, eating crunchy foods such as potato chips, sucking hard candies, biting your tongue or sipping an excessively hot beverage are all the reasons that can cause the tongue to develop blisters, cuts and burns. These reasons may lead to painful ulcers that take time to heal, but unless infection develops, they usually are not a cause for trouble.