This article deals with the problem of sore tongue and the home remedies for sore tongue treatment. The tongue is one of the most sensitive parts of our body. Any damage or infection to the tongue may cause acute pain and discomfort in the mouth. Sore tongue is one such tongue condition. This condition can be mild to severe. It can occur suddenly and can heal on its own sometimes. Although this condition does not possess any serious threat, but it can be a symptom of an underlying deadly disease, such as cancer. It is therefore necessary to treat your sore tongue condition timely so as to prevent the condition from getting worse. It is very easy to treat this condition at home. Therefore we have mentioned below some of the best home remedies for sore tongue treatment. These remedies simple, easy and effective. Let us know about the causes and symptoms first.
Cause of Sore Tongue:
- Certain medical conditions.
- Oral cancer
- Enlarged papillae
- Canker sores
- Biting your tongue accidentally.
- Consuming something too hot or spicy.
- Injuring tongue while brushing.
Symptoms of Sore Tongue:
- Acute pain
- Discomfort in the mouth.
- Swelling in the mouth or face.
- Raised area
- Difficulty in breathing
- Small bumps
- White tongue
Home Remedies for Sore Tongue Treatment:
1.) Hydrogen Peroxide for Sore Tongue Treatment
Hydrogen peroxide is one of the most effective home remedies to treat sore tongue. Hydrogen peroxide acts as an excellent antiseptic against a sore tongue. It also contains powerful anti-bacterial properties, which helps lower the risk of infection.
Directions to Use Hydrogen Peroxide for Sore Tongue Treatment:
- Use 3% hydrogen peroxide for sore tongue.
- Mix same amounts of 3% hydrogen peroxide and lukewarm water.
- Soak the cotton ball in the solution and apply it on the tongue.
- Allow, it for a several seconds before swishing your mouth with warm water.
- Repeat this several times daily for a few days.
2.) Licorice Remedy Get Rid of Sore Tongue Fast
If you are suffering from high blood pressure, you should avoid this remedy. Licorice contains healing and medicinal properties. These properties are very effective in treating a sore tongue. This aromatic plant is known for having excellent anti-inflammatory qualities, which helps to relax and soothe the affected area fast. It is one of the top home remedies for sore tongue.
Directions to Use Licorice Ulcers on the Tongue:
- Add 1 tsp of licorice root powder with sufficient water to make a fine paste.
- Using a cotton swab, apply this paste on the concerned area.
- Let the paste sit for several minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Do this a few times daily.
- Alternatively, you can make mouthwash by keeping 1 tbsp of licorice root in 3 cups of water for several hours.
- Rinse your mouth with this water a few times daily to treat ulcers on your tongue.
3.) Aloe Vera Remedy for Sore Tongue Treatment
Aloe Vera is among the most powerful remedies to treat different body ailments. This is one of the most effective remedies for white tongue. Sore tongue is one of them. Aloe Vera contains many healing and curing properties that help speed up the process of healing process. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that help to alleviate inflammation and pain in your tongue.
Directions to Use Aloe Vera to Cure Sore Tongue:
- Take a few fresh Aloe Vera leaves, cut them and extract the gel out of them.
- Apply, the gel simply to the sore area.
- Repeat the process a few times every day.
- You can also swish your mouth with Aloe Vera juice 3-4 times daily or until the soreness from your tongue goes.
- Aloe Vera is also very effective ingredient to get rid of mouth ulcer.
4.) Honey Remedy for Sore Tongue
Honey is among the best remedies for treating different oral problems. Sore tongue is one such oral problem to cure easily with honey. Honey is known to have fine healing and soothing qualities. These qualities can help alleviate pain and inflammation caused due to sore tongue. Honey is one of the top home remedies for sore tongue.
Directions to Use Honey to Heal Sore Tongue:
- Using a cotton swab, apply a thin layer of honey on the concerned area of your tongue.
- Leave it for a few minutes before washing your mouth.
- Repeat this a few times daily for quick relief.
- Honey is also very useful for treating mouth ulcers treatment.
5.) Alum to Treat Sore Tongue
Alum is known to have fine antiseptic and astringent properties. It can help alleviate pain and inflammation naturally. It also boosts the healing process by eliminating moisture from the sore tongue. Alum is one of the best home remedies for sore tongue treatment.
Directions to Use Alum to Prevent Sore Tongue:
- Take a little amount of alum powder and apply it directly on the affected part of your tongue.
- Let it sit for a minute before spitting it out.
- Do not swallow it.
- Wash your mouth with warm water.
- Do this once daily until your condition improves.
6.) Sage Remedy for Canker Sore on Tongue
Sage is another useful remedy to get rid of a sore tongue at home. Sage has relaxing properties, which help lower pain and inflammation. In addition to this, it has a drying and astringent effect on your sore tongue.
Directions to Use Sage For Canker Sore on Tongue:
- Take a handful of fresh sage leaves and boil them in enough water for 3-5 minutes.
- Simmer it for 5 minutes afterwards.
- Strain the solution and add a few drops of tincture of myrrh and allow the solution cool.
- Replace this solution with your mouthwash.
- Rinse your mouth a few times a day.
7.) Cayenne Pepper to Treat Sore Tongue at Home
Cayenne pepper has capsaicin, which helps temporarily desensitize the nerves. These nerves are responsible for causing pain. Therefore, cayenne pepper can be useful to alleviate pain and inflammation caused due to sore tongue. It is one of the perfect home remedies for sore tongue.
Directions to Use Cayenne Pepper for Canker Sore Relief:
- Mix a little bit of cayenne pepper powder with sufficient amount of water to make a fine paste.
- Take this paste and apply affected part of your tongue.
- It may cause irritation is starting, but it will not be for a long period.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times daily for treating sore tongue faster.
8.) Lavender Essential Oil to Treat Sore Tongue
Lavender essential oil is another excellent ingredient to cure your sore tongue condition. This essential oil helps alleviate inflammation and pain. Other than that, it helps boost up the healing process and repair skin faster.
Directions to Use Lavender Oil for Canker Sore Relief:
- Take a few drops of lavender essential oil and mix it well with a cup of warm water.
- Rinse your mouth with this solution several times a day until condition improves.
- Alternatively, you can add 3 drops of lavender oil with 1 tsp of honey in ¼ cup of hot water.
- Dilute the solution with ½ glass of cold water.
- Use this solution a few times daily as a mouthwash.
9.) Baking Soda to Treat Sore Tongue
Baking soda is also a strong remedy to treat several oral problem such as sore tongue. Baking soda has anti-inflammatory properties, which are quite helpful in relaxing and soothing pain and inflammation in your sore tongue.
Directions to Use Baking Soda for Sore on Tongue Side:
- Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda with a little water to make a paste. Apply it to the affected area for 1 minute, then rinse it off with warm water.
- You can also mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and use the solution as a mouth rinse several times a day.
- Use either of these remedies 3 or 4 times daily, until you get rid of the problem.
10.) Salt Remedy for Sore Tongue
Salt is one of the most common remedies for different oral problems. Sore tongue is one of the oral problem. Salt acts as a natural antiseptic, which prevents infection in your sore tongue. It helps alleviate pain and inflammation as well.
Directions to Use Salt to Cure Sore Tongue:
- Add 1 tsp of salt in 1 cup of lukewarm water and mix it well.
- Use this solution as mouthwash several times daily, until the your condition improves.
- Another option is to apply, a little bit of salt directly on the affected area.
- This will help in drying out the sore tongue fast.
- Salt water is also useful for sore throat treatment.