A nose bleed is a very common problem that can happen with any person at any point of the time. People think it scary, but it rarely indicates any kind of misery. Nose contains various fragile blood vessels that can bleed anytime. It is a common problem among children as well as adults. When your blood vessels get disturbed, then you can get stuck with the problem of a nose bleed. This nose bleeding can be heavy, or light. It can last for few seconds or few minutes. So, the only way out to deal with such situations is to use various different ways to stop a nose bleed.
Types of Nose Bleed:
There are basically two kinds of nosebleed:
Anterior Nose Bleed:
It is a very common type of nosebleed. In this type of nose bleeding, the blood usually comes out from the blood vessel located at a front part of the nose. It is easily curable at home.
Posterior Nose Bleed:
Posterior nosebleeds are less common and tend to occur among the elderly people. In this type of bleeding, the blood usually comes out from the vein located in a back part of the nose. This is a very uncommon and complicated type of nosebleed. To stop such type of nosebleed, you usually require consulting a doctor.
Causes of Nose Bleed:
- A nosebleed can be the result of any kind of infection, trauma, and inflammation.
- Blowing nose frequently and hardly also leads to nose bleeding.
- Knock or blow to the nose can cause damage to any fragile vessel of the nose and resulting nosebleed.
- In cold and flu, people keep rubbing their nose frequently also leads to nose bleeding.
- Hot climatic conditions or climatic changes esp. from cold to warm weather can cause nose bleeding.
- High altitude also leads to nosebleed. As altitude increases the availability of oxygen keeps on decreasing and air become thinner and dry. So, due to lack of oxygen in the surrounding may also lead to nose bleeding.
- Liver diseases also cause nosebleed at several times.
Here are few risk factors that predispose people to nosebleed.
- Allergic and non-allergic rhinitis
- Alcohol Abuse
- Hormonal changes at the time of pregnancy
Ways to Stop a Nose Bleed:
As soon as you get the nosebleed, just use the following steps to stop it as soon as possible.
- Sit up straight and tilt your head slightly forward. Don’t tilt your head back, because this may cause blood to run down towards the throat. If you swallowed blood, it can cause vomiting and make the bleeding worse.
- Use your thumb and forefinger to pinch the soft part of nose shut. Nose consist hard and a soft part which is made up of cartilage. Usually, nose bleed occurs in the soft part of the nose. Applying nasal drop (such as Afrin) also help to stop a nose bleed.
- Apply ice on cheeks, forehead and on the nose will constrict the nose blood vessels, which in turn helps in stopping a nosebleed.
- Keep pinching the nose for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Put a thin layer of any nasal gel such as Novotel or any antiseptic nose cream in the nose. Also, don’t blow your nose for 8 to 10 hours after the blood stops coming out from a nose.
- Try to rest quietly for a few hours.
How to Prevent a Nose Bleed?
Well, here are few preventive measures that should be kept in mind to prevent nose bleeding.
- Avoid picking up your nose.
- Don’t blow your nose hard.
- Eat coconuts and watermelons in summers.
- Drink at least 10 to 12 glass of water daily.
- Take fresh oxygen daily, and go for a morning walk.
Natural Ways to Stop a Nose Bleed:
1.) Cold Compress to Stop a Nose Bleed
Th cold temperature helps in constricting the blood vessels. It even slows down the rate of blood. This is one of the beat ways to stop a nose bleed. To apply this, follow these steps:
- Wrap a towel with few ice cubes.
- Now, sit in an upright position.
- After this, try to tilt your head back.
- Start applying these ice pack across the nose for 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat this process whenever you needed.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Stop a Nose Bleed
- Place a small cotton ball soaked in apple cider vinegar on the nostril. Leave it for 10 minutes to stop a nose bleed. You can even use distilled white vinegar as well to treat this problem of nose bleeding.
- To stop the frequent nosebleed, just mix 2 teaspoons of unfiltered, raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water. Drink this at least 3 times a day.
3.) Onion to Stop a Nose Bleed
Onion is one of a great clotting agent, that helps a lot in stopping a nose bleed. The natural fumes of onion help in clotting the blood of nose. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps
- Cut three slices of onion. Now, press 1 slice of onion under your nose and start inhaling the fumes of it. You will notice that the bleeding with stop after few minutes.
- Another alternate way is to put 2 to 3 drops of freshly extracted onion juice in the nostrils. You can also repeat this remedy whenever you needed it.
4.) Use Saline Water to Stop a Nose Bleed
Dryness of the nasal membranes is one of the most common causes of nose bleeds. To solve this problem of nose bleeding, just moisturize the irritated nasal membranes with saline water.
- Add a pinch of salt in half cup of water and stir this solution well. Now, put a few drops of this solution inside your nose to moisturize the inner lining of the nasal passages.
- As an alternate method, you can also use a few drops of saline nasal spray to treat the nose bleeding.
5.) Use Petroleum Jelly to Stop a Nose Bleed
In the dry seasons like summers, this remedy is considered to be one of the best remedies to stop a nose bleed. It does not cause any irritation and discomfort inside the nasal passage. So, apply it to stop a nose bleed. Just apply petroleum jelly with the help of finger inside your nose to keep it moisturized all the time.
Ways to Prevent a Nose from Bleeding Again:
Here are few tips that you may follow to stop a nose from bleeding again.
- If you get a nose bleed just go to your home and rest while keeping your head elevated at 30-45 degrees.
- Do give strain at the time of the bowel movement. Simply use stool softener like docusate.
- Do not lift any kind of heavy objects.
- Avoid drinking hot beverages at any cost.
- Avoid smoking at any cost.
- Does not blow your nose. Also, avoid putting anything on your nose.
- If you feel like sneezing just open your mouth so that the air pass from your mouth instead of the nose.
Few Facts About Nose Bleed:
The medical term for nosebleed is epistaxis.
- Nosebleed is a very common condition due to the location of the nose on the face. Also, we have a lot of blood vessels in the nose.
- The most common cause of the nosebleed is drying of the nasal membranes. This problem can be prevented by lubricating the nasal passages instead of picking the nose.
- In the majority of the cases, a nosebleed can be cured and stopped at home by using few preventive measures.
- You will feel faint and weak if the nosebleed is not stopped properly. Also, you will lose a lot of blood from your body. So, in that case, it is really important to consult a doctor.
- Also, don’t consume aspirin and other blood-thinning medications to stop a nose bleed without doctor prescription.
So, the next time you get a nose bleed and you feel annoyed. Just calm down, and apply various ways to stop as the nose bleed. There is no need to worry about this problem now as you have plenty of ways to stop a nose bleed.