After writing, how to get rid of a cough?, how to get rid of a stuffy nose?, and how to stop sneezing fits or attacks?, we are now writing the ways to stop a runny nose. A runny nose is a very common but embarrassing problem. A runny nose is caused by the increased mucus level in the sinus and nasal passage, which forms a blockage in this passage. This condition is quite a troubling one as it can causes a problem in breathing. This breathing problem is a result of nasal congestion. Common cold, an allergic reaction can caused by non suitable food items or dust particle, sinus infection, or a sudden change in the weather can lead to this problem.
Generally, a runny nose, caused by common cold, gets automatically cured within 3-4 days. But, if you notice it for some more days, you definitely need to take some steps to stop it. There are a number of medications available in the market to stop a runny nose, but you need to be careful before taking them. Moreover, it is always better to go for natural ways to stop a runny nose. In this article, we will discus some of the best remedies to stop a runny nose. These remedies are natural and are pocket-friendly as well. So, read the article and learn more about the best remedies to stop a runny nose.
Best Ways to Stop a Runny Nose Instantly:
1.) Use Salt and Water
It is the best way to stop a runny nose. Salt and water together will help to eliminate the irritation and clear the nasal congestion. this will help you to breathe effortlessly and also help to remove the viral attack. Don’t panic, this remedy can cure the problem very fast if you use it twice in a day. Especially if you do it in early morning and before going to bed, this will allow you to. What you have to do is:
- Take ½ tbsp of salt. Add it to 2 cups of the warm water and mix well. Tilt your head back and use a dropper to put 2 drops of this solution in to each nostril.
- Inhale slowly to draw it deeper inside the nasal passage. Blow your nose immediately to remove the mucus and solution. Repeat this for 2-3 times in a day.
2.) Use The Mustard Oil
It has antibiotic and antibacterial properties that are effective in getting quick relief from a runny and a stuffy nose. Putting a few drops of mustard oil in your nose will give a great relief from inflammation and irritation. Also, it will stop the runny nose for an hour or two. Don’t panic if you feel a lot of irritation when you put mustard oil in your nose just relax and breath in very slowly so that it reach the nasal passage. Do not breath in fast in once because this can take the oil in your mind which can create further problems. Follow that instructions given below to sue mustard oil in right way:
- Take a dropper filled with mustard oil. Tilt your head back and put 2 drops in each nostril. Inhale it slowly.
- It may cause irritation but ignore that and repeat this 3-4 times in a day to stop a runny nose.
3.) Turmeric Will Help
Turmeric is known for its antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It will definitely remove vial attack and clear the nasal passage and is very effective to treat cold and allergies. It can take it in two different ways. You can simply include it in your meal. For best results, Boil 1 cup of milk in a pan. Add 1 tbsp of turmeric and a spoon of sugar. Boil it for a minute. Drink it like a tea before going to your bed.
4.) Take The Help From Ginger
Ginger is a good source of antioxidants and antiviral agents. You can use it in different ways to get rid of a runny nose. as the medicinal properties of ginger are very known for treating cold and allergies. It also effectively help you to get rid of nasal blockage problem. You can either make a tea using ginger or can chew a few ginger frequently. Both the methods are equally beneficial. Boil 2 cups water in a pan. Add a spoon of grated ginger. Add 3-4 crushed basil leaves. Boil it until half the water is evaporated. Now strain the tea and drink it.
5.) Have The Honey
Honey is well-known for its magical medicinal properties like antibacterial and antiseptic. It is believed that honey can cure a number of health related problems very quickly. Take one spoon of honey with a glass of lukewarm water in the morning. It will help keep your body warm and eliminate the bacteria from the body. Or, what you can do is simply consume a spoon of honey. One of the best way to intake honey to take a spoon of honey in a bowl. Mix 1/4 spoon of ginger juice and stir it well. Drink it twice in a day. Repeat this for a week.
6.) Drink Warm Water
Increase the water intake. Try to take lukewarm water whenever you feel thirsty. Drinking plenty of water will maintain the water level in your body and encourage the proper functioning of the immune system. It will not allow you to catch a flu or a cold easily. It will also stop further bacterial attacks. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water in a day. When you are suffering with a runny nose try to take lukewarm water to stop the problem.
7.) Eat Spicy Foods
Spicy foods like foods that include cayenne pepper will alone do a lot to cure this problem. Cayenne pepper is one of the best healers. It is an antihistamine which clears the nasal congestion and helps to stop a runny nose. Simply try to consume spicy foods that vibrate your taste buds and allow you to flush the mucus and toxin easily. Try to intake spicy soup or vegetable soup. The main reason is that spices with some something hot liquid helps you to clear nasal blockage and reliefs from cold.
8.) Apply Vapor Rub
Vapor rub is one of the best ways to stop a runny nose. It includes menthol that clears up the nasal passage very quickly within a few seconds. Most of the cough and cold syrup also contains peppermint as a main content. it also has medicinal properties that is very effective in treating cold and allergies. So, apply vapor rub, which includes menthol or peppermint, on your nose, forehead and neck area. Sit back and relax for 2-3 minutes. You will get the instant results.
9.) Take Sauna Bath
In case if you want to stop a runny nose quickly and for a longer period, then this remedy is best suited for you. Take a sauna bath. It will allow the heat to enter your nasal passage. It will make the mucus thin and easy to come outside. This will also help you with cold and infections diseases as the heat travels deep inside the lungs. It will help to kill the virus and bacteria from attacking mucus in future and prevents the situation from getting worse. If sauna bath is not possible, take steam. This will also do a lot to deal with the problem.
10.) Consult Your Doctor
Cold and cough or allergy for longer time is risky. As it can give birth to different chronic diseases. So, try to consult a doctor if the condition lasts for more than 3 weeks. Well you need not see a doctor if you use the above given remedies properly. Even if you are under the treatment you can use these remedies to treat cold and runny nose this will help you to get rid of this problem fast.
11.) Garlic to Get Rid of Runny Nose
This is one of the wonderful remedies to get rid of runny nose. The anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties of garlic cure symptoms of runny nose, common cold and sinus infections. If you are worried about the bad breath that you will get after eating garlic, then make garlic tea by steeping it in hot water. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get best results.
- Take 3 to 4 cloves of garlic and add them in a cup of water.
- Boil the water for a couple of minutes.
- Take one small onion and blend it to extract its juice.
- Add a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Drink this garlic soup two times a day to stop runny nose.
12.) Eucalyptus Oil to Stop Runny Nose
This is one of the natural home remedies to stop runny nose. This is an age old remedy for cold and flu. It is widely used in manufacturing of inhalers and cough lozenges. The anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties of eucalyptus oil kill the bacteria causing infection. The anti-inflammatory properties of eucalyptus oil helps in controlling the mucus secretion. Eucalyptus oil is also a natural decongestant. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get satisfactory results.
- Take a warm water bowl and mix 4 to 5 drops of eucalyptus oil.
- Cover your head and shoulders with a towel and bring your face above the bowl.
- Inhale this steam to get instant relief from congestion and runny nose.
- Do this treatment twice or thrice a day to get noticeable results.
13.) Astragalus to Cure Runny Nose
This is one of the amazing remedies to cure runny nose. This Chinese medicine prevents flu and cold. The antioxidants in astragalus strengthen the immune systems. The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties of astragalus make it an excellent remedy for runny nose. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get best results.
- In 2 cups of water, add two tablespoons of dried astragalus.
- Bring this mixture to a boil.
- Simmer it for the next 8 to 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and have it to get rid of runny nose.
- Repeat this method to get satisfactory results.
14.) Horseradish to Get Rid of Runny Nose
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of runny nose. The anti-microbial properties present in horseradish kills the bacteria that cause infection. The high sulfur content in horseradish makes it anti-bacterial in nature. Horseradish has mucolytic properties that drain off the sinuses. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get significant results.
- Grate one horseradish root.
- Mix 4 tablespoons of honey in it.
- Leave it to soak for the next 20 minutes.
- Use cheesecloth to strain it.
- Take the leftover residue in a bowl and cover it with water.
- Boil this water for the next few minutes.
- Again strain it and let it cool down.
- Store this horseradish syrup in a bottle.
- Have 4 teaspoons of this horseradish syrup to get relief.
- Repeat the treatment 3 to 4 times a day to get rid of runny nose.
- Hold some grated horseradish in your mouth for a couple of minutes.
- This will help in clearing the mucus from the nasal passage.
- Once the flavor of the root is gone, simply swallow it to remove the mucus from the throat.
15.) Sage to Stop Runny Nose
This is one of the most effective home remedies to stop runny nose. The anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of this herb make it an excellent choice for medical conditions. The thujone present in sage fights bacterial infections. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get satisfactory results.
- In one cup of hot water, add one teaspoon of dried sage leaves.
- Steep this water for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Strain the water and add one teaspoon of honey for taste.
- Drink this tea once daily to stop runny nose.
16.) Oregano Oil to Get Rid of Runny Nose
This is one of the excellent home remedies to get rid of runny nose. The anti-parasitic, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties of oregano oil help to stop runny nose caused by sinusitis. Oregano oil contains thymol and carvacrol which strengthens the immune system. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get effective results.
- Take a glass of your favorite juice.
- Mix 2 to 3 drops of oregano oil in it.
- Have this juice on a regular basis to get relief from the symptoms of runny nose.
17.) Stinging Nettle to Stop Runny Nose
This is one of the wonderful remedies to stop runny nose. This is an ideal choice if the runny nose is caused by allergic reactions such as hay fever. This anti-histamine property of stinging nettle minimizes the levels of histamine in the body. Follow the detailed directions given below to get satisfactory results.
- Add half cup of nettle leaves in a cup of water.
- Boil this liquid and let it simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and strain the liquid.
- Mix honey in it for taste.
- Have this stinging nettle tea thrice a day to stop runny nose.
18.) Basil to Treat Runny Nose
This is one of the beneficial home remedies to treat runny nose. The anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties of basil stop the runny nose by keeping the body warm from inside. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get satisfactory results.
- In one cup of water, add 5 ground cloves and atleast 10 basil leaves.
- Boil this water for next 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix a small amount of sugar.
- Let it cool down and then have it twice a day to get best results.
19.) Cayenne Pepper to Get Rid of Runny Nose
This is one of the most natural remedies to get rid of runny nose. This natural antihistamine clears the nasal congestion and stops a runny nose. Cayenne pepper increases the nasal discharge. This leads to clearance of toxins from the body. It also increases the blood circulation in the body which keeps it warm. All you need to do is include cayenne pepper in your daily diet to stop runny nose.
20.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Stop Runny Nose
This is one of the best remedies to stop runny nose. The anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties of apple cider vinegar kill the virus that is responsible for causing infections. It is an excellent choice if the runny nose is cause by allergic reactions. Follow the detailed instructions given below to get satisfactory results.
- In one glass of warm water, mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Mix half teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Add one teaspoon of honey.
- Have this water while it is still warm.
- Drink this water 2 times per day to get rid of runny nose.
Tips to Prevent Runny Nose
- Consume spicy foods to increase blood circulation and flush out the toxins and mucus from the body.
- Take enough rest and relax to prevent runny nose.
- While sleeping, elevate your head with pillows to increase the nasal discharge and remove the toxins from the body.
- Massage your earlobes for atleast 20 seconds to get satisfactory results.
- Use a soft tissue to blow your nose to avoid skin irritation and redness.
- Take lot of fluids such as water and hot soups to drain the mucus from your nose. Hot turmeric milk can do wonders.
- Use a humidifier in your room for thinning your mucus.
- Inhale thyme to get rid of runny nose.
- Try to stay away from nasal irritants such as dust mites to prevent runny nose.