Coughing is the most annoying and common problem that everybody has ever had in their lifetime. But having a cough at night may disrupt your sleep. Coughing is the problem when your throat has blocked then mucus or foreign material removed from the lungs and upper airway passages. Coughing can be due to common cold, flu, viral infection and smoking or health problems such as lung cancer, asthma, and tuberculosis. When you are suffering from a cough then you feel irritation in the throat, pain in chest and congestion. There are two types of a cough one is dry and the other one is productive. To counter this problem we have some treatments to stop coughing.
Symptoms of Cough:
- A runny nose
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Tiredness and dizziness
Causes of Cough:
- Digestive causes
- Viruses and bacteria
- Hay fever
- Sinus problems
Best Remedies to Stop Coughing:
1.) Stay Hydrated to Stop Coughing
- Drink plenty of water while having the cough. Because when your breathing rate and coughing increased then it makes you lose fluids.
- Staying hydrated helps to prevent your throat from feeling irritated or itchy and thins your mucus secretions.
- Men should drink 3 liters of fluids daily while women should drink at least 2.2 liters of fluids daily.
2.) Visit the Doctor to Stop Coughing
- If you have a serious cough, then you need to consult a doctor.
- Antihistamines can be helpful to treat sneezing, coughing and runny nose.
- There are many decongestants available but the 2 most common Phenylpropanolamine and Pseudoephedrine.
- If you have thick secretions, then take a decongestant and you will get relief from cough.
3.) Ginger to Treat Cough Naturally
Ginger is one of the best and popular natural remedies for treating cough. The anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial qualities of ginger helps to cure cough and its symptoms.
Steps to Use Ginger to Get Relief from Cough:
- Crush some pieces of ginger slightly.
- Boil them in a cup of water. Drink this herbal solution 3 to 4 times a day to get relief from non-stop coughing, sore throat and congestion.
- You can also add a little honey and lemon juice in it. Another way is to chew fresh raw ginger throughout the day to stop coughing.
4.) Turmeric to Stop Coughing Naturally
Turmeric is a herb that contains therapeutic effects on coughs. Turmeric has medicinal properties that helps to treat numerous ailments including cough.
Steps to Use Turmeric to Get Rid of Cough Fast:
- Boil a half a cup of water and add 1 tsp of turmeric powder, 1 tsp of black pepper and you can also add cinnamon sticks to it. Also, add 1 tsp honey in it. Drink this solution daily until a cough is gone.
- An alternate method, prepare an herbal tea by mixing 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of carom seeds to a cup of water. Boil this solution for sometime. Add a little honey and drink this herbal solution 2 to 3 times a day.
5.) Onion to Get Rid of Cough Fast
Onion is one of the simple home remedies to stop coughing. Breathing in the strong vapors can also helpful to treat cough.
Steps to Use Onion to Cure Cough:
- Prepare a cough syrup from baked onion juice, honey nad comfrey tea. Drink it daily to get relief from a cough.
- Another option is mix one-half tsp of onion juice and 1 tsp of pure honey. Swallow this solution 2 times a day to soothe your throat.
6.) Lemon to Stop Coughing Naturally
Lemons can be used in a variety of methods to treat coughs. Lemon has such properties that helps to reduce inflammation and also works as a dose of infection- fighting vitamin C.
Steps to Use Lemon for Treating Cough:
- Make a cough syrup by adding 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of honey.
- Drink this syrup many times a day.
- Another way is blend lemon juice with some honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Then drink it 2 times a day. This remedy to get better relief from cough.
7.) Almonds to Treat Cough Fast & Naturally
Almonds play a vital role in healing cough symptoms due to having nutritional properties.
Steps to Use Almonds to Cure Cough:
- Soak 5 to 6 almonds in water for at least 8 to 10 hours.
- Use these soaked almonds to make a paste and add 1 tsp of butter.
- Eat it 3 to 4 times a day until your symptoms is gone.
8.) Cayenne to Stop Coughing
Cayenne helps to reduce chest pain due to having persistent coughing. It has a warming effect that’s why it is beneficial for a cough.
Steps to Use Cayenne to Treat Cough:
- Prepare a healthy cough syrup by adding one-fourth tsp of cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp honey, one-fourth tbsp ground ginger, 2 tbsp of water and 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar. Mix all these ingredients very well to make a syrup.
- Drink this syrup 2 to 3 times a day for better results.
9.) Carrot Juice to Get Relief From Coughing
Carrots have many nutrients and vitamins that can help to relieve symptoms of a cough.
Steps to Use Carrot Juice to Prevent Cough Fast:
- Take 4 to 5 carrots and add some water to dilute it. Then make a juice from it.
- Add 1 tsp of honey for taste. Drink this juice 3 to 4 times a day until a cough is gone.
10.) Use Honey to Stop Coughing at Night
- Honey is a natural remedy for treating cough and soothes irritated throats.
- It has analgesic properties to clear the mucus.
- It is also used to reduce many allergy-related causes for a chronic cough.
- You can eat 1 tsp of honey before going to bed.
- For more benefits drink milk with honey to get relief from continuous coughing.
11.) Use Garlic to Stop Coughing at Home
Garlis is one of the effective natural remedies for treating cough. Due to having antimicrobial and antibacterial properties it helps to treat coughs.
Steps to Use Garlic to Get Rid of Cough Fast:
- Take a cup of water and boil it by adding 2 to 3 cloves of garlic in it.
- Add a tsp of oregano and some honey in it.
- Let it cool down at room temperature then drink it. This will help to eliminate cough symptoms.
- You can also eat a clove of crushed garlic with some honey and a few drops of clove oil. It helps to get relief from a sore throat.
12.) Use Grapes to Stop Coughing
- Grapes has such properties which helps to release the mucus from your respiratory system.
- Eat grapes or you can prepare a juice of grapes.
- Have grapes juice with a spoonful of honey that will be effective and soothing.
- Keep yourself warm to prevent yourself from coughing.
- Avoid citrus drinks and sodas that can irritate your throat.
- Quit smoking and drinking.
- Gargling with salt water also helps to relieve in throat.
- Take rest as much as you can. Avoid jogging, long walks or exercise until you get relief.
- Drink warm water as warm water will help to soothe your throat.
- You can also use an inhaler to treat cough.