Almost everyone is dealing with the nail biting problem. It is a bad habit that develops when you are getting bored, feeling anxiety or stress, frustration, and loneliness. Biting nails show your unconscious behavior. If you are biting your nails excessively, then your nails, teeth or even your gums will be damaged. Also, it stops your nail growth. It often starts in childhood and remain until the time of adolescence. Now you have a good chance to deal with how to stop nail biting. This article will give you valuable and effective remedies to stop nail biting.
A medical term used for nail biting is onychophagia. It may cause several diseases like nail infections, develops bacteria and dental problems. Nail biting has both emotional and physical consequences. Excessive nail biting can cause damage to the cuticles as well as the surrounding skin which can become sore and red and may even bleed and infected. The bitten nails can be embarrassing and can add anxiety and stress. It is not a difficult task to stop this habit. There are many ways that will help you to avoid nail biting.
Causes of Nail Biting:
Best Remedies to Stop Nail Biting:
Nail biting is a hard habit, but it is not impossible to break this habit. To break this habit here are some methods to stop nail biting.
1.) Trim The Nails to Stop Nail Biting
- Trim your nails is the best method to stop nail biting.
- If you are keeping your nails short, then there is a less chance to left to bite nails.
- By trimming your nails, you keep your nails neat and clean.
- After trimming, use a nail filer to polish the edges.
2.) Garlic to Stop Biting Your Nails Naturally
Garlic is a natural remedy that can help you to get rid of nail biting fast. Many people do not like the garlic’s strong taste and aroma. Due to its antiseptic property, it will keep your nails strong and keep infections away. You can use garlic oil or raw garlic.
Steps to Use Garlic to Prevent Nail Biting Fast:
- Cut garlic clove into halves.
- Then rub this garlic clove over your nails and leave it for a few minutes.
- It will stop you from biting your nails due to its lingering garlic taste. You can also use garlic oil instead of garlic clove.
3.) Bandage Over Your Nails to Stop Nail Biting Fast
- Use a bandage to cover your nails. So that you can not bite your nails.
- Remove the bandage on a special occasion, or keep them on so that you look stupid during the occasion and motivate you to stop biting your nails.
4.) Margosa Oil to Stop Nail Biting Naturally
Margosa oil has a bitter taste that can prevent you from biting your nails. Also, due to its antiseptic property, it will keep your nails germs free.
Steps to Use Margosa Oil to Stop Nail Biting in Child:
- Dab a cotton ball with margosa oil and rub it on your nails. Let it dry on its own.
- When you bite your nails the bitter taste of margosa oil will keep your fingers away from your mouth.
5.) Bitter Gourd to Stop Nail Biting in Adults
Bitter gourd is another way to stop nail biting. As the name suggests, it is well known for its bitter taste.
Steps to Use Bitter Gourd to Stop Nail Biting Habits:
- Crush one bitter gourd to make a paste.
- To extract the paste put the paste on a sieve.
- Apply this juice on your nails and keep it to dry.
- Due to its bitter taste, it will prevent you from nail biting.
6.) Nail Biting Polish to Stop Nail Biting Fast
Nail biting polishes are available in the market that is designed to help people quit this bad habit.
Steps to Use Nail Biting Polish:
- Coat your nails with a bitter-tasting nail biting polish. It will stop you to bite your nails.
- You can also use a dark colored nail polish. Cover your nails with dark color polish so that you can not bite your nails. This will help you to break the habit.
7.) Regular Manicure to Get Rid of Nail Biting Habit
- To break the habit of nail biting treat yourself to a professional manicure.
- As a professional manicurist use acrylic nails over your natural nails or you can add nail décor like patterns, textures, and jewels.
- When your nails look beautiful then it will work as a deterrent.
- Also, the expense of the manicure will deter you from biting your nails.
8.) Artificial Nails to Avoid Nail Biting Fast
- Wearing artificial nails is the best way to cover your nails so that you can not bite your nails.
- Also, artificial nails hide the bitten nails in a stylish manner.
- There are different types of artificial nails are available in the market such as wraps, acrylics, gels and press-on nails.
- Make sure you opt the right size of artificial nails.
9.) Wear Gloves to Avoid Nail Biting
- Wearing gloves is a good way to stop biting your nails as it works as a barrier.
- It will help you to quit biting quickly.
- In winters, wearing gloves is fine, but in summer wearing gloves looks so ridiculous.
- So it works only as a motivational tool. You can stop yourself from biting at your own.
10.) Adopt a New Habit to Stop Nail Biting Fast
- When you feel stressed or bored, you started biting your nails.
- So keep busy both mind and your hands whenever you bite your nails.
- You need to opt for a hobby that will distract you from biting your nails.
- Some hobbies that you can do like drawing, cooking, clay models, knitting or crocheting, painting, and music.
- So participate in these activities that will reduce your emotional distress that leads to nail biting.
Other Useful Tips to Stop Nail Biting:
- Destress yourself so that you can become relaxed as stress is the cause of nail biting.
- You can also chew gum or suck on candies and mints throughout the day.
- Maintain a healthy diet plan to repair and grow your nails. Eat magnesium and calcium rich foods that will help you to repair your nails.
- Take a sip of water to stop biting your nails. So carry a bottle with you to avoid nail biting.
- Keep your mouth and hands busy so that you cannot bite your nails.