This article is about how to stop panic attacks. A panic attack is a sudden and terrifying experience. Since the symptoms of the panic attack are similar to heart attack, therefore, many times people consider it heart attack while they are going through the panic attack. This attack can occur at any time, even when the person is sleeping. It is a result of fear, stress and anxiety. A panic attack can last from 5 to 20 minutes or more. The physical symptoms of panic attacks are discomfort or chest pain, rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath, nausea, hot or cold flashes, hyperventilation, sweating, numbing or tingling sensations or a choking feeling in the throat. There is no exact cause of the panic attack, but there are some factors such as excessive stress, the death of a loved one, childhood abuse and traumatic event can lead to panic attacks. Proper diagnosis and treatment are necessary for frequent and recurring panic attacks. If you are suffering from the same problem, then this article can be a great help for you. Read more, to know different remedies to stop panic attacks.
Symptoms of Panic Attacks:
- Fear of dying
- Chest pain
- Feeling of choking
- Sweating or hot flashes
- Feeling of detachment
- Feeling of unreality
Causes of Panic Attack:
Best Ways to Stop Panic Attacks:
Here are some best ways to stop panic attacks. Follow them to deal with panic attacks.
1.) Medications to Stop Panic Attacks Fast
Anti-anxiety medicine such as benzodiazepines can help you to stop a panic attack. Common drugs such as diazepam, alprazolam and lorazepam can also be used to treat panic attacks. These medicines can help to relieve symptoms within 10 to 30 minutes.
2.) Hot Bath to Treat Panic Attacks Fast
A hot bath can provide instant relief from a panic attack. Hot water gives relaxing effect to the body which helps to reduce stress and promotes better sleep.
Steps to Use Hot Bath to Get Rid of Panic Attacks:
- Fill a tub with hot water.
- Add a few drops of essential oil of your choice like rose oil or chamomile oil and lavender oil in a tub of hot water.
- Also, add some jojoba oil to it. Take a bath in this relaxing water for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Follow this hot bath remedy to relieve stress or having a panic attack.
3.) Slow Breathing to Stop Panic Attacks
By practicing proper breathing techniques, you can put panic attack to an end. While breathing, when the oxygen enters the body it gives a calming effect to the body and the mind. Slow and deep breathing can ease many symptoms of a panic attack.
Steps to Take Breath to Treat Panic Attacks:
- Relax your muscles by sitting in a relaxing position.
- Breathe deeply through your nose.
- Now breathe slowly through your mouth.
- At the same time try to focus on the word “calm”.
- Repeat this process until you feel calm down.
4.) Massage to Treat Panic Attacks Fast
Give yourself a nice-gentle massage to reduce the frequency of panic attacks. The whole process of massage helps to keep your mind relaxed and calm the nerves. For massage use aroma producing oil from plants or you can use olive, coconut and sesame oil.
Steps to Do Massage to Get Rid of Panic Attack Fast:
- Slightly heat the oil.
- Use the warm oil to massage your neck, shoulders, back and bottom of your feet.
- Massage your body daily as much as needed.
5.) Valerian to Get Rid of Panic Attacks
Valerian is an herbal treatment for panic attacks which helps to calm the nerves. It also promotes sleep and helps to reduce the symptoms of panic attacks.
Steps to Use Valerian to Treat a Panic Attack:
- Soak 2 tsp of chopped valerian root in cold water for 8 to 10 hours.
- Strain the water and drink it slowly throughout the day.
- You can also take 400 to 900 mg of valerian extract a few hours before bedtime.
6.) Chamomile to Stop Panic Attacks Naturally
Chamomile can help to reduce the symptoms of anxiety disorder. Chamomile is a high source of magnesium and calcium. These nutrients ease the severity of panic attacks.
Steps to Use Chamomile to Get Rid of Panic Attack Fast:
- Add 2 tsp of dried chamomile flowers to a cup of hot water.
- Let it steep for ten minutes.
- Strain it and add a little honey to it.
- Drink this chamomile tea.
- Try to drink 2 cups of chamomile tea daily to prevent panic attacks.
- You can also take chamomile supplements.
7.) Green Tea to Stop Panic Attacks
Green tea is good for your overall health. This health beverage contains many essential vitamins and minerals that are useful for treating panic attacks.
Steps to Use Green Tea to Treat Panic Attacks:
- Add 2 tsp of green tea leaves to a cup of water. Or you can use tea bags.
- Steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and add some honey and lemon juice to it.
- Drink this green tea for 2 to 3 times a day.
8.) Relaxation Therapies to Treat Panic Attacks
Relaxation therapies like meditation and yoga can help you to deal with panic attacks. These types of therapies add the level of “feel good” hormones like serotonin in your body. This helps to deal with stressful events thus treating panic attacks. These therapies are effective for your overall health. Do these therapies on a regular basis in the correct way. Seek the help of a yoga expert to learn the correct techniques of yoga and meditation.
9.) Passion Flower to Stop Panic Attacks
Many herbalists believe that passion flower is very beneficial for treating panic attacks. This herb contains flavonoids like benzoflavone and chrysin that helps to increase the amount of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain. This helps to decrease stress as well as anxiety. This herb is available in the market in tea, tincture or capsule form.
10.) Exercise Daily to Stop Panic Attacks
Regular exercise is an excellent treatment for panic attacks symptoms. Exercise helps to reduce the stress or anxiety hormones and increase the ‘feel good’ hormones in the body. Exercise also allow your body to use the energy that contribute to panic feelings. Exercise such as aerobic exercise for half an hour will help to reduce the stress.
Additional Tips to Prevent Panic Attack:
- Some serious thyroid problems and heart problems can look like a panic attack.
- Consult a doctor for panic attack treatment.
- Do a new method of relaxation such as mindfulness, meditation and yoga.
- Keep your mind good and active.
- Avoid high caffeinated beverages.
- Follow a healthy diet plan and take proper rest.
- Spend some time with your friends and family when you need their support.