In this article, we will discuss different ways to stop teeth grinding. Teeth grinding is also known as bruxism. Teeth grinding is excessive clenching of the jaw and grinding of teeth. It is a very common problem faced. It is unrelated to normal function such as eating or talking. Teeth grinding is an oral parafunctional activity. People grind their teeth mainly because of anxiety, stress, frustration, depression etc. Sometimes people grind their teeth without any cause or problem. Teeth grinding usually does not harm but when a person grinds his teeth on a regular basis, it can arise oral health complications and the teeth can be damaged. If the teeth grinding is regular it, can occur discomfort, jaw pain, wear down your teeth, earache, and headaches too. In most of the cases, teeth grinding occur subconsciously during sleep. Read the article to learn more about teeth grinding and ways to stop teeth grinding.
Types of Teeth Grinding:
There are two types of teeth grinding (bruxism):
- First, Sleep teeth grinding- which occurs during sleep.
- Second, Awake teeth grinding- which occurs while you are awake.
Causes of Teeth Grinding:
- Anxiety and Stress.
- Suppressed anger.
- Sleep disorders
- Sleep paralysis
- Antidepressant selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.
- Recreational drugs.
- The growth of jaws and teeth.
Remedies to Stop Teeth Grinding:
- Remedies to Stop Teeth Grinding:
- 1.) Massage to Stop Teeth Grinding
- 2.) Turmeric Milk to Stop Teeth Grinding
- 3.) Lavender to Stop Teeth Grinding
- 4.) Herbal Tea to Stop Teeth Grinding
- 5.) Vitamin C to Stop Teeth Grinding
- 6.) Deep Breathing to Stop Teeth Grinding
- 7.) Magnesium and Calcium to Stop Teeth Grinding
- 9.) Valerian to Stop Teeth Grinding
- 10.) Exercise to Stop Teeth Grinding
1.) Massage to Stop Teeth Grinding
Massage gently the face in circular motion, muscles of the neck, and shoulders for a few minutes daily before going to bed. It helps to reduce clenching and decreases pain. It also helps to give relief from tension in masticatory muscles. Start massaging your body to stop teeth grinding and for reduction of stress, which is the main cause of teeth grinding.
2.) Turmeric Milk to Stop Teeth Grinding
Milk contains amino acid tryptophan. It also has calcium, which helps to keep your teeth healthy. Turmeric and milk have a great mixture, together they help to control the problem of teeth grinding effectively. Adding turmeric to milk relieves pain and enhances the benefits of health as well. Use these methods of turmeric milk to get effective results and relief from teeth grinding.
- Take a glass of milk and heat it.
- Take 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of honey.
- When the milk starts boiling, add 1 tsp of turmeric powder to it.
- Then stir the turmeric milk slowly.
- Wait, until the milk becomes mustard color.
- Then remove the turmeric milk from the heat.
- Add 1 tsp of honey to it and drink.
- Drink this milk regularly about 20 – 25 minutes before going to sleep.
3.) Lavender to Stop Teeth Grinding
Lavender works as an effective remedy for teeth grinding. It helps you to sleep comfortably and gives relaxation. Lavender has bioactive constituents that help to calm, It has soothing effects on the nervous system. Use lavender to stop teeth grinding. Follow these methods to use this remedy.
- Take a few drops of lavender essential oil.
- Take 1 tsp of olive and almond oil too.
- Mix one tsp of olive or almond oil with 2-3 drops of lavender oil.
- Use this oil to massage your neck area that is close to your jaw. Massage your jaw as well.
- Do this oil massage at least twice in a day, during the day time and before going to sleep.
4.) Herbal Tea to Stop Teeth Grinding
Herbal tea is the finest remedy for teeth grinding. If you are under stress, tensed or unable to sleep and likely to have disturbed sleep, then drink a cup of herbal tea before going to bed. Hot herbal tea will help you to relax your body. Herbal tea helps to relax the facial muscles and it also tends to promote deep sleep. Herbal tea reduces the chance of teeth grinding during sleep. For using this remedy, follow the methods given below.
- Take a green tea bag or you can make chamomile tea.
- Take some lemon juice and honey too.
- In a glass of hot water, mix 2 tsp of dried chamomile flowers.
- Boil it for 5-10 minutes.
- Then strain and mix some honey and lemon juice.
- Drink this tea 1 hour before going to sleep.
- You can make green tea as well for better results and relief.
5.) Vitamin C to Stop Teeth Grinding
Vitamin C is known as the essential remedy for teeth grinding. Vitamin C is highly essential for proper functioning of our body. It is also essential for regulating mood. Vitamin C affects the production of noradrenaline and adrenaline, which affects the nervous system. It also controls the smooth muscle movements.
- Eat more foods which contain vitamin C.
- Take vitamin C supplements after consulting your doctor.
6.) Deep Breathing to Stop Teeth Grinding
Deep breathing exercise will help you to get relief from teeth grinding. Deep breathing exercises will help you to relax before sleep. It also eases tired muscles. If you are relaxed, it will help you to reduce teeth grinding while sleeping. Do some deep breathing exercises before sleeping.
7.) Magnesium and Calcium to Stop Teeth Grinding
Magnesium and calcium are essential for nervous system health and for muscles. Consuming magnesium and calcium supplements every day will help you to reduce teeth grinding.
- In 2:1 ratio, take powder of magnesium and calcium every day. Start with 300 milligrams of magnesium and 600 milligrams of calcium.
- Consume the powdered supplements in an acidic liquid form like grape juice and orange juice.
8.) Warm Compress to Stop Teeth Grinding
Warm compress is the best home remedy for teeth grinding. The heat will help to relax muscles of the mouth and the jaw. Applying heat to the jaw area is an effective way to reduce jaw clenching and teeth grinding.
- Take some hot water and a washcloth.
- In hot water soak the washcloth.
- Then squeeze slightly that washcloth to wring out the excess water.
- Touch the moist washcloth around the jaw area.
- Do this regularly to relax your jaw muscles.
9.) Valerian to Stop Teeth Grinding
Valerian is an effective remedy for teeth grinding. Valerian contains muscle relaxing properties, that helps to give relaxation when you are asleep. It reduces the chances of teeth grinding.
- Drink valerian tea regularly.
- In 1 tsp of olive oil mix 2-3 drops of valerian oil.
- Then massage your neck area and jaw.
- This remedy will help you to reduce teeth grinding.
10.) Exercise to Stop Teeth Grinding
Exercising daily will help you to calm your body and reduce stress, it helps you to sleep better. Regular exercise improves your circulatory system and immune system that strengthens your ability to handle stressful situations. Take a walk after having your meal. It will assist you to reduce stress. Do exercise daily to stop teeth grinding.