This article is about ways to treat a cough. Coughing is a common reflex action which is to clear throat. It relieves the throat from different foreign elements and mucus. It is a very common problem that occurs due to various problems like change in season. There are different types of cough problems faced. Here the types, causes and remedies for a cough. Go through the article to know about it.
Types of Cough:
- Dry Cough – This is a non-productive cough, that means, it does not produce mucus.
- Chesty Cough – This is a productive cough. This type of cough produces mucus.
- Tickly Cough – This type of cough is more or like a dry cough.
- Persistent Cough – This type of cough lasts long. It persists for almost three weeks. It can be both productive or unproductive cough.
- Smokers Cough – This affects the long-time smokers. It is caused because of accumulation of toxins. This is productive cough.
Causes of Cough:
- Infestation of virus and bacteria. It is caused because of problems like cold and flu.
- Smoking affects the lungs and lead to the accumulation of toxins that causes coughing.
- Asthma is also a very common cause of coughing in children.
- Sudden infestation of particulate also causes coughing.
- Choking because of many reasons leads to a cough.
- Serious diseases like cancer, also cause cancer.
Remedies to Treat a Cough:
A cough is a problem that makes you hesitate and retard your performance. It doesn’t leave you easily. But, here are the remedies and methods that you can use to get rid of a cough. Read the below given topics to know about the methods to treat a cough.
1.) Ginger to Treat a Cough
Ginger is one of the best remedies to be used to get rid of cough. It dries the running nose and removes mucus from the respiratory tract. Have ginger tea on and off a day and you treat a cough well. What else you can do is directly chew finely chopped ginger. Follow the steps to prepare tea:
- Take a cup of water and boil it.
- Take 1 inch ginger and crush it well.
- Now add the crushed ginger to the boiling water.
- Now strain the solution and drink it.
2.) Salt Water Gargle to Treat a Cough
Salt water gargle is the most primitive remedy used to avoid a cough. It melts the mucus and removes it from the body and cure a cough. What you have to do is boil a glass of water and add some salt to it. Now use the salt water to gargle. Do it at least twice a day for best results. You can also increase the frequency by 1 or 2 times.
3.) Brandy to Treat a Cough
Have brandy in order to get rid of a cough. It provides heat to the body and help in keeping it warm for longer. Have some brandy at least once a day and it will work like a medicine for cough. You can also have a teaspoon of honey with it. It helps get rid of cough completely.
4.) Hot Milk to Treat a Cough
Hot milk also does the same function as brandy. It also keeps the body warm. You can also add some honey to it for improved results. Milk is best with a dry cough. It helps with chest pain as well. Drink it daily before going to bed until the cough is completely treated.
5.) Onion to Treat a Cough
Onion helps a lot with a cough. You just need to prepare a solution in order to get rid of a cough. To make the solution, follow the given steps:
- Extract ½ tsp juice from an onion.
- Add it to 1 tsp of honey.
- Now take it twice a day.
6.) Garlic to Treat a Cough
Garlic has the antimicrobial properties that treat a cough soon. It is best to treat a cough. You can directly chew some of the garlic cloves. Or, you can also prepare a solution using garlic. So, what you have to do is:
- Take a cup of water and boil it.
- Add some garlic cloves to it.
- Also add some oregano and allow the solution to cool.
- When it cooled down to room temperature, add some honey to it.
- Now drink the solution to it.
- Do it once a day till you have the symptoms.
7.) Turmeric to Treat a Cough
Turmeric is best at treating a dry cough. You can use it in different ways. You can grind some roasted turmeric to powder and mix it in a glass of water. You can also add some honey to it. Or, what else you can do is:
- Boil some water in a pan and add 1 tsp of turmeric to it.
- Also add 1 tsp of black pepper and some cinnamon sticks.
- Boil this for some time.
- Remove it from the heat and add some honey to it.
- Drink it daily.
- Boil a glass of water and add 1 tsp of turmeric and some carom seeds to it.
- Boil it for some time, till the water reduces to half, and strain it.
- Now drink the solution.
- Have this tea thrice daily.
8.) Steaming to Treat a Cough
You can also steam to treat your cough. What you have to do is boil some water in a pan. You can also add some chamomile leaves to it. Now keep the pan on the table and take your head over it. Now cover your head using a towel. Now, Inhale deeply.
9.) Almonds to Treat a Cough
Almonds play an important role in treating a cough. This remedy is the tastiest one of all the remedies. You need to prepare a paste that you can have as a medicine. To make the paste.
- Soak 10 almonds overnight.
- N the morning, make a paste using it.
- Now add some butter to it and have it.
- Do not consume it at once.
- Have it thrice a day in small quantity.
10.) Carrot Juice to Treat a Cough
Carrot juice is also great when it comes at treating a cough. What you have to do is take some fresh carrots and extract the juice and drink it. Do not go for the packaged one. Self made is best for the purpose.
11.) Lemon to Treat a Cough
You can also consume lemon in order to get rid of cough. It is rich in Vitamin C which helps fight of bacteria and inflammation. You have to make a syrup using lemon juice and honey. What you have to do is:
- Take two tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Add some honey to it and mix it well.
- Now consume the syrup and get rid of it.
- Blend some lemon juice and honey together.
- Also add a pinch of black pepper to it and consume it.
12.) Grapes to Treat a Cough
You can also consume grapes in order to get rid of cough. It is rich in properties that are beneficial for curing a cough. It has expectorant, that is really helpful in eliminating mucus from the respiratory system. And, when there is no mucus, you easily get rid of a cough. You should consume grapes when want to cure a cough. You can also consume grapes juice. Do not forget to add honey to it.