After writing, how to get rid of a cough?, how to get rid of canker sores?, how to get rid of cold sores?, and home remedies for fever blisters, we are now writing the best ways to treat a sore throat. Sore throat is a common condition in which causes pain, irritation and itchiness in the throat. It is also known as pharyngitis. In sore throat condition, one may find it difficult to swallow food and liquid. It can cause more pain in the throat if you try to swallow something forcefully. Pain in the throat is the first sign of sore throat. Although, this condition does not possess any serious threat to your health, but it can be a symptom of some underlying disease. Sore throat can occur at any age. It mainly affects smokers, children, and people who has weak immunity or have allergy problem. There are also many other causes responsible for this condition. Some of them are mentioned below along with symptoms. Let us know these causes and symptoms before moving on to the home remedies to treat a sore throat.
Home Remedies to Treat a Sore Throat Naturally and Fat
- Home Remedies to Treat a Sore Throat Naturally and Fat
- 1.) Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- 2.) Gargle With Salt Water
- 3.) Take The Help From Lemon
- 4.) Fenugreek Seeds Will Help
- 5.) Cinnamon to Treat a Sore Throat
- 6.) Honey as a Sore Throat Natural Remedy
- 7.) Use The Marshmallow Root
- 8.) Slippery Elm to Treat a Sore Throat
- 9.) Garlic to Treat a Sore Throat Fast
- 10.) Turmeric to Treat a Sore Throat at Home
- 11.) Keep Yourself Hydrated
- 13.) Take Plenty of Rest
- 14.) Sip on Green Tea
- 15.) Have The Chicken Soup
- 16.) Gargle With Whisky
- 17.) Use Bark of Elm Tree
1.) Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is among the most exploited home remedies to treat numerous body ailments. Treating sore throat is one such ailment. Apple cider vinegar is known to have antibacterial properties, which is quite useful to treat a sore throat caused due to bacterial infection. It helps in restoring immunity and also supports overall health of your body.
- Mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar with 1 tsp each of lemon juice and raw honey in a cup of warm water. Drink it 2 to 3 times daily to reduce pain and inflammation.
- It can be used with tea, honey or you can take it directly, just gargle with it. Try to use it at regular intervals for quick relief.
2.) Gargle With Salt Water
One of the best ways to treat a sore throat is gargling with salt water. Salt water is a proven remedy for treating throat infections as it acts as an antiseptic, which helps dry out mucous membranes in your throat. Salt also helps cut phlegm and lowers inflammation, giving you a quick relief from irritating and itchy throat.
- Add ½ tsp of salt in a glass of warm water and mix it well. You can add honey to neutralize the taste of salt.
- Gargle with this solution 3-4 times daily. Spit the water out and do not swallow it.
3.) Take The Help From Lemon
Lemon is another excellent home remedy to get rid of sore throat naturally. It has many beneficial properties. Lemon helps in reducing the amount of mucus due to its citrus acid content. It has Vitamin C and anti oxidant properties that helps to improve immune system. Use fresh lemon juice instead of packaged juice.
- Mix fresh juice from half lemon in a glass of warm water.
- Add 1 tsp of honey in it and stir it well. Sip it slowly.
- Drink it 2 or 3 times daily to get rid of sore throat
4.) Fenugreek Seeds Will Help
Fenugreek seeds are known to have mucus-dissolving qualities which helps get instant relief from pain and inflammation. It also helps get rid of swelling in throat. Prepare a gargle solution with fenugreek seeds, which is quite effective in treating a sore throat condition.
- Mix 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in 5-6 cups of water. Boil the mixture for about 20-30 minutes.
- Let it cool to room temperature before straining it. Gargle with this solution 3 to 4 times daily.
5.) Cinnamon to Treat a Sore Throat
Another option effective to get rid of sore throat is cinnamon. It has fine anti oxidant properties. The aroma of cinnamon helps open up sinuses and clears mucus to ease breathing If you are suffering from sore throat due to the common cold, cinnamon is what can help you get relief quickly and effectively.
- Mix 1 tsp each of cinnamon powder and black pepper powder in a glass of warm water.
- If you want, you can also add cardamom in the solution.
- Strain the solution after mixing it well. Gargle with this solution 2 to 3 times daily.
6.) Honey as a Sore Throat Natural Remedy
It is widely used to get rid of sore throat. Honey contains antibacterial properties, which helps fight infection and boost up the healing process. It helps draw out water from inflamed tissue and thus alleviates pain and swelling in the throat. Honey works as a hyper tonic osmotic, which helps draw excess water from inflamed tissue to reduce inflammation and swelling.
- Mix 1 or 2 tbsp of honey in 1 glass of hot water and drink it several times daily.
- You can also add honey to any of your herbal tea.
- Also, eat 1 tsp of honey every night before sleeping.
- It will help soothe your throat and make you sleep better.
7.) Use The Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow root has mucilage which makes a layer in your throat and helps soothe it. Marshmallow root tea is quite effective in treating sore throat and also common cold and cough. This remedy is not for pregnant or nursing women and also people who are suffering from diabetes.
- Add 1 tbsp of marshmallow root in one cup of boiling water and steep it for about half an hour.
- Strain the solution, add a little bit of honey and drink it.
- You can have three cups of this herbal tea in a day.
8.) Slippery Elm to Treat a Sore Throat
Slippery elm, is another effective option if you are suffering from sore throat. It has mucilage, a gel-like material which forms a layer in your throat, which reduces soreness and irritation. It also helps in mucous secretion that might be useful for stomach and intestinal condition.
- Mix 1 tsp of the inner bark of slippery elm in 2 cups of boiling water.
- Steep for several minutes before straining the solution.
- Drink it slowly after letting it cool a bit.
9.) Garlic to Treat a Sore Throat Fast
Garlic is a rich in antibacterial and antiseptic properties. It is very useful in eliminating bacteria from throat due to its Allicin content. It also has medicinal properties which help treat or prevent sore throats fast and naturally.
- Eating a raw garlic clove releases a chemical known as allicin, which helps eliminate the bacteria responsible for sore throat.
- You can use garlic oil as well. Just add a few drops of garlic oil in ¼ cup of water and gargle with it daily.
10.) Turmeric to Treat a Sore Throat at Home
Another great remedy to treat a sore throat is turmeric. Turmeric is an ancient herb which is proven for many health benefits. It is loaded with many antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which are quite useful in preventing infection and also helpful in reducing inflammation. Here is the method to use it.
- Add ¼ tsp of turmeric powder in a glass of warm water. Drink it every morning on an empty stomach. Repeat this once daily for a few days.
- Alternatively, just mix 1 tsp of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of ground black pepper in a glass of warm milk and drink it before going to sleep.
11.) Keep Yourself Hydrated
Having water in your stomach and to be active is important, especially when you’re not feeling well and your throat is not in good shape. Drinking liquid and lots of water will make you feel fresh and happier from inside. The loss of water from the body during sore throat is also balanced by drinking a large amount of fluids. Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.
13.) Take Plenty of Rest
It may not be the best solution, but taking rest is the best thing to fight the painful virus. One of the main reasons of sore throats is cold viruses, and we know that there’s a little chance to cure a cold once we’ve got it. Making sure you are fully rested and will be able to have a nap, will help you to fight the virus. Rest will also help you to sleep properly, sleep in a quiet place.
14.) Sip on Green Tea
A warm cup of green tea can offer relief for a sore throat. Except for the available varieties of herbal tea, a few which contain chemical antioxidants, will strengthen your immunity and fight against infection. For extra power and quick relief, add a teaspoon of honey as it has properties of fighting with bacteria will help you heal faster.
15.) Have The Chicken Soup
Since eating with swollen throat is a tough task. Chicken soup can help get rid of a sore throat as it is an old remedy being used for centuries. Chicken soup consists of many powerful minerals and ions one is sodium, which actually have anti-inflammatory properties, and it feels good going down into the stomach. So having some liquid will ensure that you’re getting the minerals, ions and nutrients, which is essential to fight your infection.
16.) Gargle With Whisky
Mixing water with whiskey and doing gargles is quite soothing and helps cure your sour throat. Add two teaspoons of whiskey in a big glass of water to do gargle. The reason for using whiskey is because it has healing powers and is known to fight with severe infection. It also soothes irritation caused by sore throat. Swallowing it will be your secret.
17.) Use Bark of Elm Tree
The bark of the elm tree is quite a handy product for getting relief from the sore throat. It contains a gel like sticky substance which, when contacts with water, cures the problem by forming a sticky layer around your throat, eventually helping you in eating and drinking. It also aids in getting rid of vomiting like feeling caused by sore throat.