In this article, we will talk about ways to treat flea bites. Do you realize that there are tiny little creatures everywhere around you, waiting to relish your blood? Well, it’s neither any vampire nor any mosquito. For people who have pets, they must be aware of the menacing bugs called fleas.
These are creatures, which commonly feed on the blood of other creatures, mostly animals. They don’t affect humans normally but only when your household pets have been infected. Their bites are painful and itchy in nature. If you are one of the sufferers of their bites, we provide you tips on how to treat flea bites. Before we begin, let’s look at some of the common symptoms of their bite:
Symptoms of Flea Bites:
- Redness on the skin.
- Inflammation of the skin.
- Constant feel to itch.
- Rash or infection.
Remedies to Treat Flea Bites Naturally:
1.) Aloe Vera to Treat Flea Bites
When it come to skin treatment, aloe vera is one of the premier products for the same. It is because of its healing properties that make it anti-inflammatory and antiseptic in nature. Aloe vera gel can be used for the same purpose. You could either purchase it at your local store or could follow the steps below to prepare it at home:
- Take a few aloe vera leaves and mash them.
- Collect the gel that is prepared and apply it directly on the bites.
- Continue the process till the allergy subsides.
2.) Eat Garlic to Treat Flea Bites
If the product above has two properties then garlic has three. It is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antioxidant in nature. It is a herb that has been used for centuries to get rid of all kinds of health problems. There are several ways by which you can use garlic to utilize it as a remedy for flea bites. One of the best ways is to incorporate it into your diet. Make sure to cook dishes in which garlic can be added. It will not only enhance the flavor but also promote good health.
You can also consume it raw if you can bear the taste.
3.) Coconut to Treat Flea Bites
Coconut has been used since earlier times as a means to treat different problems. To use it to treat your flea bites problem, all you have to do is use any of the following techniques:
- Apply coconut oil directly on the affected skin and keep applying it for a week for relief.
- Alternatively, you could mash up a fresh coconut pulp to make a paste.
- Apply the paste all over the bites. Keep it there for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off after some time and there will be relief.
4.) Lemon Power to Treat Flea Bites
Lemon is known to repel fleas because of their intolerance to citrus acid. It is known to react with their skin, leading to an allergic reaction. Just follow the steps below to prepare an effective flea repellent:
- Squeeze some fresh lemons and collect their juice.
- Mix the juice in boiling water.
- Spray the mixture directly on your skin, by adding the solution in a sprayer.
- There will be no more flea bites.
5.) Lavender Oil to Treat Flea Bites
Essential oils are known for their healing properties. They contain all the essential nutrients which are beneficial for a healthy radiance and skin enhancement. Any good essential oil would work but here we are suggesting you to use lavender oil for it is easily available. Massage the flea bitten area with lavender oil on a regular basis. As it soaks into your skin it will heal your skin and get rid of the itching sensation.
6.) Tea Bags to Treat Flea Bites
Tea bags acts in the form of a warm compress. Moreover, tea bags because of their content have antioxidant properties. These can in turn help you to get rid of inflammation and redness. To use it to treat your flea bites problem, follow the steps below:
- Put a tea bag in boiling water and allow it to warm down, till it can be applied to the skin without burning it.
- Apply it carefully on the skin where the bites are and keep it there.
- Keep pressing it gently on the skin and continue the treatment for a few days.
- There will be relief soon.
7.) Apply Calamine Lotion to Treat Flea Bites
Calamine lotion is one of the premier products when it comes to skin treatment. It can get rid of burns, allergy, and redness. The best thing about it that it is safe on the skin. You can find calamine market in a good shop near you. Most probably it should not cost you much. Just apply calamine lotion on the bite affected skin directly for a few days. It will start showing its effects soon and you will be free of the bite marks.
8.) Cold Treatment to Treat Flea Bites
At times, cooling treatment can do wonders for you. Cooling the flea bite area can get rid of the inflammation and redness of the skin. It will even remove the sense to itch constantly. Just follow the steps below and you are good to go:
- Prepare an ice pack by adding ice in a Ziploc or a clean cloth.
- Apply the pack directly on the bitten skin.
- Dipping the area in ice cold water can also be beneficial.
9.) Oatmeal to Treat Flea Bites
Oatmeal if not directly beneficial for you skin, can still be used as an exfoliator. Follow the steps below, to use it to treat the flea bites problem:
- Mix oatmeal and water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste on the bites and keep it there for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off later and you are done.
- Continue for a few days till they completely disappear.
10.) Don’t Scratch to Treat Flea Bites
I understand, that there is a great urge to scratch the bite infected area. You may think it may relieve you, but you are wrong. Scratching the skin to itch the area can lead to infection. As the infection spreads the whole condition can worsen at most. The worse thing that can happen is that it can leave permanent marks if the swelled area bursts up. Therefore, it is recommended to try out all the remedies listed above and get rid of the problem.